The I don't play anymore thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:44 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Lost my old job, so I had to quit for a bit. Found a new one at Microsoft, so I'm ready to get back into the old excitegravation that is Mafia. I'll be finding a mini-normal, as I believe that as much as VI's contribute to an unsatisfactory game, mods who believe that "the more roles the better" or that it is their personal mission in life to punish the town for X behavior (follow the cop, trusting masons, etc) contribute just as much, and in many ways are the enablers for said VI's.
I'm going to wait a couple days to hit the queue. If anyone wants to find a game together, PM me and we'll figure out what works.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:31 am

Post by Ectomancer »

mykonian wrote:
Friend wrote:It's bad, Flay, but when people put things like "The VI has arived" [sic] in their signatures, they're not going to change, and policy lynching them is just another probable mislynch if you're playing the odds.
Normal lynches have a certain accuracy, which we hope is better then a random lynch.
VI's are a distraction and the chance that their vote later in the game will help lynch scum is pretty much the same as a random vote. That this is terrible for town can be seen for example in lylo. Because of this, VI's will lower the expectancy value of lynches to come.

conclusion: if the person is stupid enough, or the town good enough, policy lynching is the best way to win.
This is the main problem with allowing VI's to live. VI's do not need the opportunity to decide the game. They are worse than random lynches. Kill them early while the numbers game isn't so bad. Day 1 people.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (isolation #2) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:32 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Haha, wasn't you Elli :) Just talking my own personal preferences really. I only play a theme game when I'm prepared to lose regardless of how well I played.

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (isolation #3) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 am

Post by Ectomancer »

RichardGHP wrote:
Ectomancer wrote:
mykonian wrote:
Friend wrote:It's bad, Flay, but when people put things like "The VI has arived" [sic] in their signatures, they're not going to change, and policy lynching them is just another probable mislynch if you're playing the odds.
Normal lynches have a certain accuracy, which we hope is better then a random lynch.
VI's are a distraction and the chance that their vote later in the game will help lynch scum is pretty much the same as a random vote. That this is terrible for town can be seen for example in lylo. Because of this, VI's will lower the expectancy value of lynches to come.

conclusion: if the person is stupid enough, or the town good enough, policy lynching is the best way to win.
This is the main problem with allowing VI's to live. VI's do not need the opportunity to decide the game. They are worse than random lynches. Kill them early while the numbers game isn't so bad. Day 1 people.
This makes me want to cry tears of... something, but not joy. Lynching them on Day 1, especially with no actual discussion, will not improve their play. Essentially you're saying that being a VI once gets you permanantly blacklisted from living past Day 2 or so. If people actually quit their whinging, and taught VIs what /not/ to do, then we wouldn't be having this problem or conversation.
You should cry after making this statement. Do you know how long Day 1 is? I've seen it last months and months (and months). When I tell you to straighten up or get lynched, I'm not playing around. If you don't want to listen to me, then you've earned your title of VI and also earned the right to be removed from play Day 1. And yes, I said listen to me. I'm that important. If people listened to me more, they wouldn't be crying about getting lynched for being a VI and Friend wouldn't be crying about the VI's themselves. :P

You also CLEARLY do not understand what a VI even is by this statement here
taught VIs what /not/ to do
VI's refuse to be taught. By definition this is what makes them VI's. They don't care what your reasoning might be
unless they get lynched repeatedly.
. Grow a sack and send them packing and when they come back, they won't be VI's any longer. That LYNCHING is what teaches VI's what not to do.

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (isolation #4) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

SFG wrote:I would be honored if you would hydra-mentor me. It might take a bit to get started though, because I don't play in more than one game at once and I'm currently in an ongoing mini at Day 3 (/in 7).
I only play in one game at a time
now
, but I credit immersion with my early burst of learning. I believe that I was up to 8 games at one time. I don't recommend that many for most people unless you get the addiction and are online 12 hours a day, waiting like a vulture over those games to pounce on the next post :oops: Still, I think that two would be a healthy number to work with. It also helps you contrast in real time the reactions of people to you. Vi as a mentor should be a positive step. I don't know how he is as a teacher, but if you can adopt even a part of his method you should improve.
Something else I did early on, and later on as well, is decide beforehand how I intend to play a given game. Are you going to be aggressive? passive? make charts? do meta look ups on people? play as if everyone is scum until proven otherwise? play as though everyone is town until proven otherwise?
Stick with the style you chose and see how it works. If it doesn't turn out well, don't get depressed, select a different style and apply it to the next game and see how it does. Keep doing that and along the way you'll get the learning the only real way you can get it. You'll have experience.

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (isolation #5) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:I've never seen people refuse to explain what you did 'wrong' after the game (and really, most people will explain why they're lynching/copping you in-game). Of course, that's a little slower...

Return to “Mafia Discussion”