The I don't play anymore thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 am

Post by Vi »

I don't join games, except when I relapse.

Blame school.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #45 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by Vi »

animorpherv1 wrote:Yeah, same here.

I think the Newbie games aren't getting thorugh...
Newbie games teach you the basics of how to play and not completely flop (like don't randomly vote in LyLo, don't claim scum D1, and so forth).
They don't teach you how to find scum.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #49 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Post by Vi »

animorpherv1 wrote:
Vi wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:Yeah, same here.

I think the Newbie games aren't getting thorugh...
Newbie games teach you the basics of how to play and not completely flop (like don't randomly vote in LyLo, don't claim scum D1, and so forth).
Well they
should
. If they did (or even if there is a "How to be a good player" wiki that ICs can link to) than this bout of idiocy would grind to a hault.
There's the other problem.

The first general rule of scumhunting is that nobody, including you (yes, you reading this), has a precise and failsafe way to find scum.

In addition, in the event that you DO find scum you have to be convincing enough to override others' usually-incorrect scumfindings. In a mixed group of players, getting scum lynched is fighting other peoples' metas. (Or to use my own quote, "There's no 'I' in TEAM, but there IS one in V
I
G".)

Rounding out the pizza pie is a corollary to the first general rule - common wisdom and popular ideas about finding scum usually don't work; in fact they tend to be counterproductive for the team as a whole.

Adding the delicious pepperonis on top of this thin crust of your doom is that in the case of Newbie games in particular, ICs are supposed to be helpful and respectable - but not necessarily
good
at playing the game.

For what it's worth, there ARE "How to be a good Townie" and "How to
find scum and
get them lynched" articles on the wiki. People may or may not read them, and may or may not forego what's said in them because they believe they have a better way to go about things.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #50 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Post by Vi »

tealdeer The idiocy isn't going to stop because that's what baseline Mafia just tends to be.
Besides, it's far more effective to learn for oneself how to play Mafia than to try to "teach" them anything.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #57 (isolation #4) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Post by Vi »

yabbaguy wrote:Overusing clichés much?

That's one thing that irks me. I hate this damned stupid cliché that is going around that makes me want to scream at you lot through the internet.
It would be really awesome if anyone knew what you were talking about, because it looks like you're mindlessly lashing out at me right now.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #60 (isolation #5) » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Post by Vi »

Kataphraktoi wrote:VI
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #63 (isolation #6) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:23 am

Post by Vi »

JDodge wrote:
UK wrote:Part of the idiocy I've noticed is people refuse to change their styles even when they're proven to suck.

That's probably why JDodge is throwing up his hands at this point.
I could rant about how there is no such thing as a playstyle that sucks ad nauseum, but I'll skip to the actual point and say that the issue is more a general lack of common sense.
What about playstyles that either can't work or are not utilized effectively enough by the players themselves to work (due to a lack of common sense)?
Vi wrote:For what it's worth, there ARE "How to be a good Townie" and "How to find scum and get them lynched" articles on the wiki. People may or may not read them, and may or may not forego what's said in them because they believe they have a better way to go about things.
useless indoctrination
I think it would be practical to know what everyone's expectations are before someone starts trying to get away with breaking them. At the very least learn how not to get lynched and how to get someone else lynched.

I see what you're saying and I agree with most of what you're getting at, etc.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #67 (isolation #7) » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:01 am

Post by Vi »

At the very least learn
how
not to get lynched and
how
to get someone else lynched.
Notice that this does not read
At the very least learn not to get lynched and to get someone else lynched.
nor does it read
At the very least learn
when
not to get lynched and
when
to get someone else lynched.
The more polite words we use for people who are unable to avoid getting lynched in ordinary situations and/or cannot voluntarily endanger their suspects are usually based on the American English root "suck".
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #75 (isolation #8) » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:13 am

Post by Vi »

VasudeVa wrote:
Vi wrote:
Kataphraktoi wrote:VI
Why the hell did I watch that? Here I am innocently lurking an MD thread looking for new ways to catch scum and then I go 'Oh my! Vi posted a link! I should click it!' and then boom I get blasted in the faise with some weird screamo-rap shit which made my face go static for a full four minutes.

I hate you Vi. I want my four minutes back. D=<.
It's nice to see the daykill worked on someone, if not the intended target. :D
But do you want your face back too, or just the four minutes?

My music exchange partner sent that one to me with a warning about how it was probably the worst collection of simultaneous noises he's ever heard people call "music". Of
course
I had to share. (And the fourteen-year-old girls eat that stuff up, believe it or not)

----

On topic: I'm thinking about joining this group. It feels too much like work to play these days.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #98 (isolation #9) » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:48 am

Post by Vi »

It's nice to see a recurring theme in these posts, especially when I made one of them.
Maybe people will get the hint.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #101 (isolation #10) » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 am

Post by Vi »

SFG wrote:
Vi wrote:It's nice to see a recurring theme in these posts, especially when I made one of them.
Maybe people will get the hint.
I think my theme is actually running directly contrary yours - I did my research, tried to do well at this game, and people still treat me like a VI instead of trying to actually help me get better. It's very frustrating being left out to dry/lynched just because you didn't spontaneously develop hax scumhunting skills and you admit that you aren't the best player around.
May I have a link to an example?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #105 (isolation #11) » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 am

Post by Vi »

Elmo wrote:
Vi wrote:Maybe people will get the hint.
And do what?
wait what I just like telling people they're horrible

Well, it should curtail the current
popularity
of being viewed as a bad player.
It should also be a sign that maybe people should follow what I've been saying for a while now - learn to look Town, and learn how to scumhunt. The first step in newbies' ascension to competent players is the realization that what they think works usually
doesn't
, and the commonly-held belief that looking Town is something you only need to "turn on" when you feel you need to is frankly toxic to overall gameplay.
Once those are realized by a not-insignificant portion of the regular playerbase, maybe people will stop talking about mafiascum like it plays at cesspool-level. I know people talk like that offsite, but when
respected players onsite
are saying it there's decidedly a problem.

No
italics
tags were severely overworked in the creation of this post.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #107 (isolation #12) » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:30 am

Post by Vi »

boberz wrote:Where can you play better mafia Vi?
Don't confuse "a site that talks down about mafiascum" with "a site that plays Mafia better than mafiascum".
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #111 (isolation #13) » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Post by Vi »

SFG wrote:*waits for you to come down on my ass telling me its my fault for being a bad player or whatever*
You are a bad player and people should reflexively disagree with anything you say just based on who's saying it. You should loudly claim that you are a horrible person here and on every other forum you are on, and should never allow yourself to procreate because your kids will be ugly.

Now that I've told you what you expected to hear, I'll start telling the truth.~ People, esp. Townies, can be passionate, willing to demonize their targets, and wrong. You have to be able to work through that and stand up for what you believe and what you say. Truthfully, I didn't actually see anything particularly inflammatory up to post 499 (with heavy skimming). So people misread you or disagree with what you're saying. They're looking for scum too. That they happen to be looking in your direction, right or wrong, is not a crime. As long as everyone's willing to apologize and make up in the end, there's no real foul and everyone tries to do better in the future.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #113 (isolation #14) » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:35 pm

Post by Vi »

TheButtonmen wrote:
Vi wrote:As long as everyone's willing to apologize and make up in the end, there's no real foul and everyone tries to do better in the future.
I'm seeing faaaaaaar to many people who understand their style is scummy / bad, understand why / how it's deficent and make no change to it, instead they just talk about how it's their meta as though that solves everything.

This both confuses and annoys me.
This is why using Mafia as a tool of social engineering is both fun and rewarding even if you don't win as often.
Though I can pull up a game where the "The side with the fewest VIs wins" philosophy actually worked for Town.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #129 (isolation #15) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:38 am

Post by Vi »

Ectomancer wrote:I only play a
theme
game when I'm prepared to lose regardless of how well I played.
Fixed to fit my philosophy. >_>
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #139 (isolation #16) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 am

Post by Vi »

SFG wrote:Then I moved on to opens because newbies were sucking my soul out and worked my heart out playing a 2:2:8 where the scum never crosskilled the entire fucking game.
Was I in that game, or is that a more common experience than advertised?

Anyway SFG, if you're interested in one of the hydra things people have been mentioning ITT I may be able to help out.
Unpleasant side effects may include anxiety, dying early on, and having to deal with me on a fairly regular basis.
A) Either play newbies or don't bitch that players aren't teaching you.
also
The Road to Rome is basically the gutter to catch first-time scummers who are more likely to flake or do completely clueless moves.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #149 (isolation #17) » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:06 am

Post by Vi »

SFG wrote:
Vi wrote:Anyway SFG, if you're interested in one of the hydra things people have been mentioning ITT I may be able to help out.
Unpleasant side effects may include anxiety, dying early on, and having to deal with me on a fairly regular basis.
I would be honored if you would hydra-mentor me. It might take a bit to get started though, because I don't play in more than one game at once and I'm currently in an ongoing mini at Day 3 (/in 7).
Well, whenever you're ready.
What if we had another newbie-esk forum that wasn't a filter at all, but was actually devoted to learning about mafia theory?
We can make it accessible from the main page... A simple name for it would be "Mafia Discussion". :shifty:
Still, I think that two would be a healthy number to work with. It also helps you contrast in real time the reactions of people to you.
It's weird to be in one game as scum and one game as Town simultaneously. But that's the interesting part of it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #183 (isolation #18) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:38 am

Post by Vi »

In post 182, Kmd4390 wrote:
In post 178, Kmd4390 wrote:I just died in my only game. Does that mean I'm free?

Edit: I'm still in a mish mash survivor game though.
^Let's try this again. My only remaining game just ended. Maybe I can stay away for a while this time. After dealing with a banned user who I won't name here, my motivation to play is the lowest it has ever been. Maybe that's a good thing.
High five /}

Return to “Mafia Discussion”