The I don't play anymore thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 am

Post by Elmo »

I gradually got less enthusiastic about mafia until I took a break for a couple weeks, then came back and put all my effort into one game for a couple months. That game was the essentially unwinnable AoaDa, which I won a scummy for and pretty much single-handedly killed any interest in mafia; not such a good trade.

Talking about mafia is a hundred times more interesting than actually playing it; and playing is now torture, since I don't put the work in to play
well
and know how terrible I am. I kind of want to IC a bit for the sake of it, but all told I feel a lot like I'm done.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:26 am

Post by Elmo »

Goatrevolt wrote:I don't play mafia anymore.
I'm saddened, but unsurprised. Do you know what it was? I remember reading some of your posts and thinking you'd quit within a couple months.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (isolation #2) » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:06 am

Post by Elmo »

SFG wrote:one of those "almost-unwinnable-for-town" games and I was in overdrive the entire game trying to fight that only to watch it all fall apart the moment I got nightkilled. Now I feel like the hard work I normally put into games is pretty damn useless, completely demoralized. I probably WILL come back eventually, maybe in late December or so around my 1-year.
The Fonz wrote:every time I feel like this, I just think of one or two of the VIs I've been subjected to over the course of my time here, think 'Do I really want to put myself through this' with regard to the process of ascertaining which of the four people in an average game who appear to be trying to ruin it IS trying to ruin it, which is scum, and which ones are just so dense they don't know any better
These actually apply, I just didn't want to post this. It's just really difficult to put any significant effort in when there's a decent chance it won't affect the outcome.
SFG wrote:you guys on this site are unforgiving and scary and that doesn't help :(
This sounds like it would mostly apply to bad players. :V
Vi wrote:Maybe people will get the hint.
And do what?

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (isolation #3) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:53 am

Post by Elmo »

RichardGHP wrote:If people actually quit their whinging, and taught VIs what /not/ to do, then we wouldn't be having this problem or conversation.
A good defining characteristic of a VI is that they don't attempt to improve, regardless of outside prompting. They're not just bad players, and they're not just new.

The "lynch all VIs" crew is playing a game of chicken where one side decides by consensus, with the default to swerve, and the other side is almost always driving straight with no regard for their own well-being.

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (isolation #4) » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 am

Post by Elmo »

This is like a millimetre away from complains about elitism. Not that I don't think it's a good idea.

Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (isolation #5) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by Elmo »

Maemuki wrote:I really want to join this group now. I guess I don't want to play anymore. *le sigh.*
I want to want to. But I don't want to, as much as I try. :(

Return to “Mafia Discussion”