The I don't play anymore thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SFG
SFG
Goon
SFG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:17 am

Post by SFG »

I'm probably going to quit, at least temporarily, after the game I'm in wraps up. The game before this one was one of those "almost-unwinnable-for-town" games and I was in overdrive the entire game trying to fight that only to watch it all fall apart the moment I got nightkilled. Now I feel like the hard work I normally put into games is pretty damn useless, completely demoralized. I probably WILL come back eventually, maybe in late December or so around my 1-year.

On a side note, you guys on this site are unforgiving and scary and that doesn't help :(
The textwaller of d00m
SFG
SFG
Goon
SFG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 am

Post by SFG »

Vi wrote:It's nice to see a recurring theme in these posts, especially when I made one of them.
Maybe people will get the hint.
I think my theme is actually running directly contrary yours - I did my research, tried to do well at this game, and people still treat me like a VI instead of trying to actually help me get better. It's very frustrating being left out to dry/lynched just because you didn't spontaneously develop hax scumhunting skills and you admit that you aren't the best player around.
The textwaller of d00m
SFG
SFG
Goon
SFG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (isolation #2) » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Post by SFG »

Vi wrote:
SFG wrote:I think my theme is actually running directly contrary yours - I did my research, tried to do well at this game, and people still treat me like a VI instead of trying to actually help me get better. It's very frustrating being left out to dry/lynched just because you didn't spontaneously develop hax scumhunting skills and you admit that you aren't the best player around.
May I have a link to an example?
The best example I can think of off the top of my head involves an ongoing game. I guess I'll go with an example from my second game around hereabouts where basically I was accused of being scum for every possible course of action I could take without really being told why any of them were particularly scummy. Actually this post from that game is a pretty accurate statement of how I've been feeling as well.

*waits for you to come down on my ass telling me its my fault for being a bad player or whatever*
The textwaller of d00m
SFG
SFG
Goon
SFG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (isolation #3) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:38 am

Post by SFG »

I guess I've gotten half-used to the wonders of IRC mafia where, after every game, you can ask what you did that was so scummy and they'll tell you, and even better, for your first few games there's someone out-of-game helping you figure out mechanics and how to properly scumhunt and, almost as importantly, translating all of the acronyms and jargon into plain old English for you.

Is there any way forum games could allow a younger player to consult with an older player during a game?
The textwaller of d00m
SFG
SFG
Goon
SFG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #4) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:03 am

Post by SFG »

TheButtonmen wrote:If you want some kind of educational aspect why not simply play newbies?

Joining a mini normal / theme then bitching that people aren't teaching you is quite simply dumb.
In case you didn't notice, those posts were from a Newbie game. In fact, I played two Newbie games, learned a decent amount from the first because Troll took it upon himself to educate me a little bit, which was nice until he lynched me, and learned nothing from the second game. Then I moved on to opens because newbies were sucking my soul out and worked my heart out playing a 2:2:8 where the scum never crosskilled the entire fucking game. I may have learned a little bit from that game, but most of what I learned is that hard work doesn't really make that much of a difference. Now I'm in my /in-vitational, which I joined in hopes that if I played with people I am friends with or have a great deal of respect for, they'd actually help me learn something.
The textwaller of d00m
SFG
SFG
Goon
SFG
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (isolation #5) » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Post by SFG »

TheButtonmen wrote:A) Either play newbies or don't bitch that players aren't teaching you.
In case you hadn't noticed, half of my games were newbies and in those games I came across exactly 1 (one) player who actually taught me anything. That'd be Zorblag and I already credited him.
Have you ever considered teaching yourself?
I've done the necessary research on the wiki if that's what you mean. Read all of those pages about being town and jeep's tells and even shook the horrible off-site meta I had that any player who had some control of the town should be lynched ASAP. If you mean, have I tried playing mafia by myself, I have not, as I think that would be an exercise in transparency.
Vi wrote:Anyway SFG, if you're interested in one of the hydra things people have been mentioning ITT I may be able to help out.
Unpleasant side effects may include anxiety, dying early on, and having to deal with me on a fairly regular basis.
I would be honored if you would hydra-mentor me. It might take a bit to get started though, because I don't play in more than one game at once and I'm currently in an ongoing mini at Day 3 (/in 7).
The textwaller of d00m

Return to “Mafia Discussion”