That Damn Good

Cold War Mafia - GAME OVER!!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Cold War Mafia

A deeply flawed historical mafia event.

Time
: An unspecific point during the cold war

Somewhere and somewhen somebody decided to end this game of thermonuclear chicken. Twenty four figures of varying importance who may or may not have even lived at the same time are somehow brought together to find a peaceful solution to a diplomatic conflict that threatens to possibly begin to consume countless lives. Not everyone wants peace though. Amongst your number are individuals who would rather see this cold war turn hot. Maybe they stand to profit from open conflict, maybe they think it's the only way for their way of life to continue or maybe they're just bored. If these talks are ever going to succeed you must band together and expunge yourselves of these agitators. Expunge them with bullets, ropes, lead pipes, or candlesticks if that's all you have handy. First war, then peace. Then punch and pie.

Players:

Still Standing:

(DavidParker)
PeregrineV
11 Lowell
(jmj3000) (mothrax)
The Fonz

Six Feet Under:

(julienvonwolfe)
bunnylover
was lynched on Day one. He was was
Che Guevara - Cuban Roleblocker
RedCoyote
was poisoned on night one. He was
John Glenn, US Odd-Night Vigilante.

LlamaFluff
was assassinated on night one. He was
John F Kennedy, US Townie

(Ghostwriter)
hohum
was removed from the bunker on night one. He was
Harold Wilson, British Townie

(PoisonIvy)
Amrun
was lynched on day two. She was
Joseph McCarthy - US Blacklister

(themanhimself) (InflatablePie)
Debonair Danny DiPietro
was poisoned on night 2. He was
Edward R Murrow - US Townie

(Artem)
VP Baltar
was assassinated night two. He was
Ho Chi Minh - Vietnamese Soviet Mafia Goon

nachomma8
was removed from the bunker on night two. He was
Josep Broz Tito - Yugoslavian Townie

gonnano
was lynched on day three. He was
Janos Kadar - Soviet Mafia Goon

XScorpion
was assassinated night three. He was
Leonid Brezhnev, Soviet Townie

(pappums rat)
Feysal
was lynched on day four. He was
Erich Honecker - Soviet Neighbour

Scott Brosius
was poisoned on night night four. He was
J Edgar Hoover - US Mafia Jailkeeper

LynchMePls
was assassinated on night four. He was
Nikita Kruschev - Sovier Watcher

Stephoscope
was removed from the bunker on night four. He was
Andrei Gromyko - Soviet Mafia Rolecop

smargaret
was lynched on day five. She was
Willy Brandt - West-German Neighbour

Beasts of the Sea
was poisoned on night five. He was
Charles De Gaulle - French US Mafia Goon

Furcolow
assassinated on night five. He was
Heydar Aliyev - Soviet Townie

(EGL)
Enigma was lynched on day six. He was
Lyndon B Johnson - US Townie

ThAdmiral
was was poisoned and assassinated on night six. He was
Henry Kissenger - US Townie

Sathrois
was removed from the bunker on night six. He was
Francisco Franco - Spanish US Mafia Goon

bvoigt
was lynched on day seven. He was
Yuri Gagarin - Soviet Even Night Vig

Back up mod:

Andrius
Last edited by Sotty7 on Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 am, edited 38 times in total.
CallMeLiam
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:08 am

Post by CallMeLiam »

General Rules

[001] Please vote in bold in the following format:
vote: CallMeLiam
. Abbreviations are fine so long as it's clear who you're voting for:
vote: CML
is great unless Crimp My Lucy is also in the game. Voting for no lynch at all is also fine.
[002] When a player has a simple majority of votes they'll be lynched. No majority means no lynch.
[003] There will be strict deadlines of four weeks for day one and two dropping to three weeks after that. Extensions are possible but not likely.
[004] Don't talk about this game outside the thread unless your role specifically allows it and please only do so at night.
[005] Once you're dead you're dead. No "Bah" posts please.
[006] Don't edit/delete previously submitted posts.
[007] Don't quote any PMs from me or any communications from outside the thread. Paraphrasing is fine, but direct quoting will get you modkilled.
[008] Night will never end early, but it may end late. Night PM's received late will not be counted though.
[009] If you're gonna be unable to post for any length of time a post in-thread directed
To the Mod
: or a PM is fine. Putting it in your sig is not.
[010] No invisible text, no hidden code, no colours, no weird fonts, and no teeny tiny text. Them's mine.
[011] I will prod when requested or when I feel it's necessary, then replace if after 48 hours the prod hasn't been picked up or acknowledged.
[012] It's a game. We're here to have fun. Play nice with each other.
[013] Breaking most of these rules will usually get you replaced out. Breaking 007 will get you modkilled and you'll automatically lose the game.
Game Specifics

[1] Each player represents one real-life figure from the 20th Century. Not all of them are dead, but not all of them are living.
[2] Each player has an alignment, a nationality, and a role.
[3] The town win condition is: "You win when all threats to peace have been killed"
[4] A possible mafia win condition is: "You win when only Soviet players remain alive or nothing can prevent this"
The game will begin when I've received sixteen confirmations and unlock the thread.
Last edited by CallMeLiam on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is now full, but replacements are always welcome.
CallMeLiam
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Post by CallMeLiam »

With the majority of delegates signed in, day one of this conference to either end or trigger war has begun. Please take your seats, help yourselves to beverages and refrain from killing anyone without the approval of the group.

It is now Day I
With twenty-four of you alive thirteen votes will lynch. The day will end on Sunday February 20th at 9am GMT.
Any groups with the ability to talk at night may for so for another 24 hours.
is now full, but replacements are always welcome.
Furcolow
Furcolow
To Be Frank
Furcolow
To Be Frank
To Be Frank

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Post by Furcolow »

hi guys
so, a few questions for you all:
1) how did you start playing mafia?
2) Are you better as scum, or town? Why?
3) What are your thoughts on the current setup?

1: I saw it advertised on a forum. Silly, I know, but here I am! I'm glad I've gotten involved in such a fun game.
2: I am better as town, because I know I am innocent, and my night actions are superfluous.
3: I expect something in between normal and theme, nothing too fancy, nothing like stars aligned, but definitely intriguing.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Fur 3 wrote:1) how did you start playing mafia?
1) It's been 3 years since I saw a boing.boing post that got me curious. I looked for more information about it and stumbled onto a relatively new real-time mafia game called EpicMafia. Although I enjoyed it there, the community really moved in a direction that I wasn't comfortable with. Anyways, long story short, I play at MS now.
2) My record says scum. It's probably because it's generally easier to win as scum, all things considered.
3) It looks like fun. I've only saw my own role, but I'm looking forward to the game. I like the theme.

Vote: Crimp My Lucy

Vote: XScorpion

Can't chance being fooled by this guy again.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:22 am

Post by DavidParker »

Hi. Played on an online-gaming forum site. Got redirected here for more games.

I think I'm better as town. Although my record suggests my town play in newbie games is some of the worst on site. My town play in non-newbie games has a decent record. Scum record is pretty bad right now, although I think my scum play isn't too bad usually :/

I think the setup has been somewhat laid out to us. I assume other people's pms did so too:
Players have a nationality - I'm guessing people are either Soviet or American (maybe some third parties who are neither), the nationality is not reflective of being "scum" or town though, since players are just trying to eliminate threats to peace. Each nationality will have some players who are threats to peace (and aligned with players within their nationality, and possibly third parties, ie: cuban scum allied with soviet scum). That's my interpretation of game setup as it is. So, there can be soviets and americans co-existing with a town win as long as threats to peace from both nationalities (and possibly other nationalities) are dead.

Vote: nacho

Because I keep seeing you pop up in my games.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 am

Post by RedCoyote »

I never thought I'd say this, but thank you, Fur!
DavidParker 5 wrote:Players have a nationality - I'm guessing people are either Soviet or American
Unvote
;
vote: DavidParker
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 am

Post by DavidParker »

Excuse me?
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 am

Post by DavidParker »

Are you drunk or just dumb?
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 am

Post by DavidParker »

I might wait for your response before posting the obvious.
Sathoris
Sathoris
Goon
Sathoris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:53 am

Post by Sathoris »

Furcolow wrote:hi guys
1) I started playing mafia on a WoW forum board, when they stopped I moved to a Diablo forum board untill I discovered MS.net a few months ago and finally joined a game.
2) Scum. I tend to play aggresivly and that got me lynched a couple of times when I was the cop or the doc.
3) I usually only play in themed games because I like those setups and I'm glad I was in time to join this one. The theme sounds really interesting. Can't really say more because I only know my role and I have no clue what others might have. Well some clue maybe given it's set in the Cold War ;)
PoisonIvy
PoisonIvy
Goon
PoisonIvy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 am

Post by PoisonIvy »

OMG furcolow is in this game? I highly recommend a lynch and that all he says should be taken with an allhelping almighty help of salt.. Should any lynch be available for furcolow that he should be lynched town or scum. And i am being serious.

But because im not rude.
1) I started mafia on a site called "golivewire" with a few others. Mafiascum was mentioned and so i signed up.
2.) I play better as town.
3.) Having played a cold war game on golivewire, im going to guess that a) its USA vs. Soviets/Russians. And there is a miller in our midts. FYI its not me.

However, Lowell is also in this game and all games i have played with him as snow white he has always been scum. HI LOWELL!! :D

Vote Lowell
Queen Of Clubs.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:10 am

Post by DavidParker »

I'm about ready to vote PoisonIvy...

Unvote, Vote: PoisonIvy

Semi-serious vote. I'll post what everyone has ignored, and what I called RC stupid for not noticing.
CallMeLiam wrote:[1] Each player represents one real-life figure from the 20th Century. Not all of them are dead, but not all of them are living.
[2] Each player has an alignment, a nationality, and a role.
[3] The town win condition is: "You win when all threats to peace have been killed"
[4] A possible mafia win condition is: "You win when only Soviet players remain alive or nothing can prevent this"
Hint: Alignment and nationality are two separate things. You can be town-aligned as American or Soviet the mod is suggesting. My pm from mod stating my role also made it rather clear, as it was a town pm, that there is probably town-aligned players of different nationalities (ie: people of other nationalities who only want peace, which makes sense thematically) the only people who might not be clear that this isn't an "America vs Soviet Russia" game is scum themselves.. RC mis-reading this was one thing, but at least he didn't suggest the game was US v Russia.

I would say that PoisonIvy's latest post resembles that of a scum slip.

Additionally, the first statement regarding furcolow does not read in a very town-like tone to me, with the way he affirms "I am being serious".
PoisonIvy
PoisonIvy
Goon
PoisonIvy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:08 am

Post by PoisonIvy »

Rarely read the rules, i just concern myself with being polite. Im generally disinterested in set ups.

And as said, i played a variated cold war game with soviet/russian members so i would think there is a possibility of there being a Soviet/Russian mafia.

However i have no qualms about being investigated were someone to have the given ability and felt uneasy about my presence.
Queen Of Clubs.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 am

Post by DavidParker »

Can we get poisonivy lynched already?
pappums rat
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:37 am

Post by pappums rat »

furcolow wrote:

1. i discovered mafia on anothor forum about 1 1/2 years ago and played two games, and thought it was p awesome. then i completely forgot about it until november, and realized what a fool i was.
2. well, considering my record on this site (1 win as scum and 2 losses as town) id say scum. im also in 4 games that are currently ongoing.
3. afaict i am going to like it.

vote bvoigt

theres only room for one rat in this game.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:10 am

Post by XScorpion »

One of my friends was playing Mafia on another site, I just googled 'Mafia forum game' and found this site.
I'm always better as town. I suck ass as scum, I don't know how people ever let me win games.
I agree with DavidParker on the setup, and I have a town feel from him already.

@Furcolow: Where is your vote?
FoS
nacho wrote:Can't chance being fooled by this guy again.
I think you overestimate me XD especially since I haven't been playing for months...

@Poisonivy: If you are serious about Furcolow, why is Lowell more worthy of your vote?

*finishes reading*
...wow...okay.
Vote: Poisonivy

Can you even explain how anything you've said is pro-town? Claiming to not be interested in the setup is pretty scummy, claiming to want to be investigated is just anti-town, and this
poisonivy wrote:And as said, i played a variated cold war game with soviet/russian members so i would think there is a possibility of there being a Soviet/Russian mafia.
Is just bad.
bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:03 am

Post by bvoigt »

Hey, everyone!
1. I saw the game being played on another site, Googled "mafia forum game," and found mafiascum.
2. Probably scum, as you can see from my record. I'm still trying to get the hang of scumhunting.
3. It looks interesting. I thought it would be America-town versus Soviet-scum, but obviously, that's not the case.

Anyway, if PoisonIvy had received a town PM, she'd know that the win condition is
not
"You win when the Soviets are dead."

VOTE: PoisonIvy
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:16 am

Post by LimMePls »

Sathoris wrote:
1) I started playing mafia on a WoW forum board, when they stopped I moved to a Diablo forum board untill I discovered MS.net a few months ago and finally joined a game.
2) Scum. I tend to play aggresivly and that got me lynched a couple of times when I was the cop or the doc.
3) I usually only play in themed games because I like those setups and I'm glad I was in time to join this one. The theme sounds really interesting. Can't really say more because I only know my role and I have no clue what others might have. Well some clue maybe given it's set in the Cold War ;)
Hey Sathoris! Glad to see you kept the avatar you used during my game, that avatar is awesome.

Vote: Sathoris
because he is crazy good at playing SK Sheriff with a jailkeeping ability and dayshots. Trust me on this one.

1)same diablo forum Sathoris is mentioning. Read the wiki here for some ideas, and then started playing here.
2)My record indicates scum. I feel like it is easier to ACT town than to BE town. This probably says something crazy f*cked up about me psychologically.
3)This question bothers me. I'm unclear what about the setup other than our own roles you are referring to. If it's just our own roles, this question is dangerously close to massive role fishing.

@Furc: What did you expect question 1 to add to the game? What did you expect from question 3?
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:23 am

Post by jmj3000 »

furcolow wrote:1) how did you start playing mafia?
1. I played face to face mafia with a few friends in the cafeteria a lot, then started playing forum mafia on another site. The people running those games linked to the wiki here, so I started playing here.
2. Apparently mafia, though there really isn't a big enough sample of games.
3. It seems like an interesting set-up.

Now, I don't like how DavidParker and PoisonIvy both have started speculating about the set-up on page 1. Also, they both seem to be ignoring the glaringly obvious possible mafia win-con CML posted. However, that isn't enough for me to vote them yet.

Vote: furcolow
no hard feelings about Harry Potter Mafia, right? :lol:
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:24 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Vote furcolow

RQS stage is scummy, I refuse to answer your questions. I seriously would like to see a furcolow wagon.

NO ONE ELSE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS

All the "slips" are fabrications of peoples imaginations
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:27 am

Post by LimMePls »

DavidParker wrote:Can we get poisonivy lynched already?
Maybe. I'm starting to like this line of questioning. Also, question 3 is now making sense to me.
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 am

Post by DavidParker »

Mine is no fabrication. PoisonIvy's response was atrocious.

I agree on RQS being useless, but it's not really a scum tell. Definitely doesn't win townie points though.
PoisonIvy
PoisonIvy
Goon
PoisonIvy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:38 am

Post by PoisonIvy »

XScorpion wrote:@Poisonivy: If you are serious about Furcolow, why is Lowell more worthy of your vote?

*finishes reading*
...wow...okay.
Vote: Poisonivy

Can you even explain how anything you've said is pro-town? Claiming to not be interested in the setup is pretty scummy, claiming to want to be investigated is just anti-town, and this
poisonivy wrote:And as said, i played a variated cold war game with soviet/russian members so i would think there is a possibility of there being a Soviet/Russian mafia.
Is just bad.
You may think so but ive more concern for what people actually say in the game rather than how the game is set up. ANYONE could be interested in the set up, townies, scum or SK. I find it better to think about such things, if i think there is a need to, after N2.

No. Im saying i have no qualms about being investigated if someone deems me worthy of it. Im not going "Oh! COP COP!! Pick me! Pick meee!" Do not twist my words.

How so is stating i played a alternative game and disclosing that i believe there maybe a miller bad exactly?

Readings.
Llamafluff - Someone sane. I like you. But i cant tell is that because of you being sane or because you seem to share the same opinion on furcolow as me. I may join a furcolow wagon but i would like to gauge lowell first.

Mod: Fixed your quote tags
Last edited by CallMeLiam on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen Of Clubs.
Sathoris
Sathoris
Goon
Sathoris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:43 am

Post by Sathoris »

LynchMePls wrote:Hey Sathoris! Glad to see you kept the avatar you used during my game, that avatar is awesome.

Vote: Sathoris
because he is crazy good at playing SK Sheriff with a jailkeeping ability and dayshots. Trust me on this one.

1)same diablo forum Sathoris is mentioning. Read the wiki here for some ideas, and then started playing here.
2)My record indicates scum. I feel like it is easier to ACT town than to BE town. This probably says something crazy f*cked up about me psychologically.
3)This question bothers me. I'm unclear what about the setup other than our own roles you are referring to. If it's just our own roles, this question is dangerously close to massive role fishing.

@Furc: What did you expect question 1 to add to the game? What did you expect from question 3?
Vote: LynchMePls
for not using the name I would've recognized.

I like question 1 as it lets me learn something about you guys and perhaps question 3 was intented as a sneaky way of tricking someone into divulging something? Already PoisonIvy is being circled because of her answer of question 3.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”