I would love to discuss food

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Xine
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #400  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 am

I'll keep that in mind If I ever get to cook for you
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #401  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 pm

There is no Dönner Kebab in America? Here it's a very commonly eaten 'junkfood' (though it is much much better than stuff like McDonalds, so junkfood is perhaps a bit too derogatory). Shopping streets in larger cities usually have so many kebab shops, that when you stand at one of them you can already see the other one easily.

It is also commonly eaten by drunk people. Though the 'kapsalon' is the most popular among them: fries, kebab, salad and perhaps even cheese all in one. Because it's a meal in itself, I never ate it. I prefer something like fries or just a donner kebab (sandwich), but not both...

For lunch I often take a 'turkish pizza', which is actually just a wrap like thing filled with salad and spicy sauce. Though probably not the most healthy food on earth, I at least don't feel guilty after eating it. IT's also quite cheap.

Korts
Luddite

Post Post #402  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:40 pm

My favorite kebab shop also sells weed. My favorite weed dealer also sells kebab.
Fight me, dumbass.

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #403  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Korts wrote:My favorite kebab shop also sells weed. My favorite weed dealer also sells kebab.

that, my friends, is a true entrepreneur

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Post Post #404  (ISO)  » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Yesterday we had some simple, honest and delicious food.

This type of fish:

I find these fish the most attractive and delicious looking of all fish. Look at that cuteness ! Don't you just want to bite into it? Good news is that it actually is very delicious, slightly reminiscent of salmon but with white flesh instead of pink. It's also a very forgiving fish to cook, and as long as it's fresh, very tasteful. As for fish bones, assuming you're eating one fish per person, while eating the top half you will experience some bones, but after a certain point you can easily remove the entire skeleton and continue eating your now boneless fish. You could also slice them and stuff with herbs before cooking, prepare the fish then remove the skeleton out of the cooked fish. Perhaps I should do that next time.

In any case, we pre-boiled some potatoes and broccoli, put some onions in an oven dish, bake in the oven, then put in potato slices, the two fish and the broccoli, then bake until done. On top op the fish we put some slices of lemon, which gave a very subtle flavor to the fish; I don't like too strong a lemon taste, so this was enough. The slices of lemon, which dried in the oven, were also tasty to just eat like that, because most of the sour juice had escaped.

You can vary by putting some tomato sauce on the fish. Really, you can do anything with a dish like this.

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #405  (ISO)  » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Is that a Sea Robin? I've seen some gourmet shows using it, but it looks like a lot of effort to clean for what is essentially a whitefish. I'd much rather use walleye or perch, but that's just my preference for cheaper, delicious fish coming through.

Did you catch them yourself, sirdan?
A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys

And I'm Randy Butternubs...

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Post Post #406  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Hah, it'd be my biggest dream to be able to catch fish like that myself... my fishing abilities don't go further than collecting these kind of sea snails off the coast in my town. And yes they are edible.

Anyway, that fish is a "gurnard". It's not that expensive: 9 euros per kilo or so. For some reason fresh fish is quite expensive here; the only fish that are cheaper are flat, bottom dwelling white fish like these. These are usually pan-fried. Also very delicious.

I have never tried perch, but it's a freshwater fish and I generally find that I prefer saltwater over freshwater fish. Walleye is not even available here, I think. I do like salmon and trout, though. And of course eel, which is a delicacy.

Other seafood we eat are mostly mussels; delicious, and we can cheaply get high quality. Then there's salted raw herring and smoked fish like smoked mackerel, smoked herring, smoked halibut. None of these are eaten for dinner as a part of the meal, but usually with bread for lunch.

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #407  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 pm

I really miss good seafood. Bavaria and oceans don't really go hand in hand

Adel
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #408  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 am

JDodge
Accept it

Post Post #409  (ISO)  » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 pm

rejoice for there was much cheesecake, and an awful grainy cell phone camera shot thereof

stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #410  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:14 pm

looks good, but cracked form overcooking. I don't have any problem with cracks, but I have had chefs threaten to rip my thought out for doing that
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

JDodge
Accept it

Post Post #411  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Xine wrote:looks good, but cracked form overcooking. I don't have any problem with cracks, but I have had chefs threaten to rip my thought out for doing that

yeah, i'm trying to get baking time + temp down right but it's proving a bit problematic - i tried cooking at a lower temperature this time but it still overcooked a bit, going to try cooking it for a considerably shorter time next time
stream

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #412  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 pm

go for no bake?

Xine
Goon

Post Post #413  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Do you bake it in a water bath? that helps if you can create a REALLY good seal (I usually tightly wrap my cheesecake pan in saran wrap and tin foil) place this in another pan, fill the water level to 1/2 way up the side op the cheesecake pan, and still bake long and low.
another thing that helps, is like with quiche, take it out of the oven while it still jiggles and leave it to finish by after-bake in a relatively warm spot in your kitchen.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #414  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Or you could top the entire cake with strawberry slices/whip cream, so that nobody sees the cracks :P I've done my share of that

JDodge
Accept it

Post Post #415  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Xine wrote:Do you bake it in a water bath? that helps if you can create a REALLY good seal (I usually tightly wrap my cheesecake pan in saran wrap and tin foil) place this in another pan, fill the water level to 1/2 way up the side op the cheesecake pan, and still bake long and low.
another thing that helps, is like with quiche, take it out of the oven while it still jiggles and leave it to finish by after-bake in a relatively warm spot in your kitchen.

i'm just not used to my convection oven, and i also feel that there's a slight chance that my being forced to bake it in a pie tin as opposed to a proper springform pan could be one of the issues; i probably would have caught it before it burnt had i not been too busy with other things to check on it when i meant to
stream

Xine
Goon

Post Post #416  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Sounds like a perfect smooth top bake was not the primary concern, as the main course takes priority. also, that it's really a presentation thing only. There was no black or dark brown, far from burnt my friend. I would serve it.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #417  (ISO)  » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Lately I've finally learned to get along with salt. Being a Northern California Hippie girl, I have never cooked with much salt. I figured, enough people have "low sodium diets" that it would be proper to under-salt, and make sure the table has a salt shaker.
recently, I've been embracing the fact that cooking with salt improves flavor more then adding salt to the top later.

animorpherv1
Honey Trap

Post Post #418  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Alright, so I figured that this would be a good advertisement spot.

I would like a judge or two for a food-related Mish Mash game I'm cooking up (sorry, bad pun), whih is going to be similar to "America's Next Great Restaurant". PM me if interested, or post here. I'll try to remember to look in the thread every so often.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Pronoun: They

Post Post #419  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 am

So I set my eggs on fire. This was a suboptimal result. I had to have hot dogs, instead.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #420  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:08 am

Sudo, I can't fathom a way in which you could literally cause eggs to combust, but I am fascinated to hear this story.

Ythill
Fabio

Post Post #421  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:09 am

Napalm.
Record: Town 10W/15L Scum 4W/1L Other 2W/2L Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #422  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 am

Damn. Forgot to compensate for the possibility of chemical weaponry. >.<

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #423  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 am

bv310 wrote:Sudo, I can't fathom a way in which you could literally cause eggs to combust, but I am fascinated to hear this story.

This. I dont think i could get eggs on fire if I tried. That could make a good band name though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Pronoun: They

Post Post #424  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am

I was trying to fry the eggs, and I think I used too much grease. I'm not good with gas burners.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion