[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:12 am

Post by zoraster »

how did you arrive at .4 EV, Emp?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #28 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:24 am

Post by zoraster »

Empking wrote:
zoraster wrote:how did you arrive at .4 EV, Emp?

Firstly, I said ish. I wrote down the possibilities that lead to a town win and added them up.

But what assumptions did you make? Because if it were just random lynch then you should have gotten 22.86% EV. Obviously an adjustment needs to be made for the masons, but how did you account for that?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #32 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:53 am

Post by zoraster »

i actually think emp's makes more sense. I started to post what you did, Vi. But considering how short the game is, masons should probably either claim (if run up) as a pair or not. That way any player that claims mason without a pair is lynched.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #68 (isolation #3) » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 am

Post by zoraster »

Hey, Vi or Hoopla. I don't want to mess with your pretty cateloguing, but I have a problem with the entry for White Flag.

White Flag doesn't necessarily have to be the open version played in the past two iterations. It's a mechanical change.

In fact, the first version that I ran when I designed it wasn't open at all, and it had power roles (albeit most of those power roles were useless making it virtually mountainous). I was wondering how to fix that as the wikipedia article seems to suggest that it's an open setup, when it's not JUST an open setup.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #71 (isolation #4) » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:42 am

Post by zoraster »

Empking wrote:Zor, you designed the White flag mechanic?

Sorta.. It's such a simple thing that I doubt I was the first to think about it. So far as I know, though, I'm the first to run one here, and I didn't "get" it from somewhere else. When I announced that I was running the game (under some other title) someone else suggested that it was known as "White Flag" elsewhere, but I've never been able to find where that elsewhere was. Still, it was a much better name for my theme game than the one I had, so it became White Flag.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #73 (isolation #5) » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:09 am

Post by zoraster »

That does predate my game, but I'm pretty sure I never saw it as I wasn't involved in MD at the time. Still, creation credit goes there. Did a white flag game actually get run off of that?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #257 (isolation #6) » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:43 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 255, Hoopla wrote:It stands to reason if 2:7 with a Cop or 2:7 with a Doc is unbalanced, that the same variations in the 2of4 setup is unbalanced also - especially given that scum has a Role Cop in each variable.

If 2:7 with a Cop produces a 35% winrate for town, it should be worse if that same setup now has a Role Cop.

Maybe. But a role cop in such a quick game isn't likely to be too much of use. And now in 2of4, the scum won't know whether they have to worry about a doctor protecting or not. In F11, they could see a cop claim and then look at whether they had a RB or not. Now, they have to take a risk of the cop being protected.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”