Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Post by RayFrost »

You are the
Magnet Carrier
. Right now, you have a magical magnet. It grants you the following abilities:

Magnetic Pull (A): Target one player. If they use an item that is metal (i.e.: guns, badges), you will steal it for the night, blocking their action. If they do not use an item that is metal but still use an ability, they will be given a double action.
Electrical charge (A): Target a player. If they do not use an item that is metal, they will be blocked for the night. If they do, they will become invulnerable to action influencing abilities.
Drop it like it's hot (A): You may drop the magnet at any time you wish. It may or may not be picked up by another player.
The Ultimate Attractor (P): As long as you bear the magnet, misfortune is attracted to those around you. Each night, one bad thing will happen to you, your target, or someone who targets you.

Mod note: Result of ultimate attractor is chosen randomly from the following: loss of vote, loss of action over the next night, or a minimum word count for all posts over the day phase.
don't you feel silly now?
Sir Bastion
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Post by Sir Bastion »

You are
The local Priest
, a neutral player with the night ability to put another player in a confession booth each night where their role is revealed and they are both roleblocked and protected from night attacks. You cannot reveal their role but you can win with either mafia or town.

A neutral role that can be used offensively or defensively for either side. Sort of like a hybrid jailor/doctor.
Scum:
nk bastion cos he is never being lynched imo.

I don't honestly think Sir Bastion is a PR, he's too outspoken for it. But he's also a pain in the ass.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Post by RayFrost »

That's more of a hybrid jailkeeper (protect + roleblock) / role cop (find out the player's role).

The win with either mafia or town is a bit ambiguous: does the local priest just win the game, or are they survivor?
don't you feel silly now?
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Wording looks like survivor.. interesting role actually..
~ David Xanatos ~

It really was all part of my plan...
izakthegoomba
*Falls to the ground at Xanatos' feet, chanting "we are not worthy"*
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Post by Ythan »

"You can not _____" means this should be in the other thread. There are much more elegant solutions for problems than posting restrictions.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

How precisely does a post restriction qualify it for a "Worst" role?
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Post by Ythan »

Is there an answer I can give that you have enough experience with post restrictions to grasp?
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

I've seen them used extensively, and I've actually been under a couple of them myself. It adds a new dimension, provided it's not something stupid like "You may not use vowels".

Knowing information that you're not allowed to reveal is a post restriction in the same way that claiming scum and declaring your partners is.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Post by Ythan »

Except that claiming scum and declaring your partners is near universally the worst thing you could do for your wincon, meaning there is incentive. So yeah, slight difference.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Oh?

Large Theme, let's say 27 people. Person claims Scum at.. 15 players remaining. Declares himself and 2 of his.. let's say 4 remaining partners, and two Townies.

Lynch him, then there's a 50-50 shot of them lynching either a partner or a Townie. If it's a Townie, his entire declaration will be written off as untrustworthy, if it's Scum, they'll hit the next, 66% chance of Townie, et cetera. Throw a Scum Rolecop into the mix who's identified PRs to throw on the list and it could be a legitimate tactic.

And the role suggested has a dual wincon, survivor, therefore a modkill would be a loss, therefore revealing that information is the worst thing they could do for the wincon, meaning there is incentive.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Post by Ythan »

Unfortunately that's not the example you used, nor does it have any bearing on the discussion.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Post by David Xanatos »

Does my example involve claiming scum?

Yes.

Does my example involve declaring your partners?

Yes.

No bearing? I'd like to hear your reasoning on how that's the case.
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Post by Ythan »

Got absolutely nothing to do with the post restriction on that role, the one that's actually being discussed as opposed to your large theme goon.
Sir Bastion
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:10 am

Post by Sir Bastion »

In post 852, RayFrost wrote:That's more of a hybrid jailkeeper (protect + roleblock) / role cop (find out the player's role).

The win with either mafia or town is a bit ambiguous: does the local priest just win the game, or are they survivor?

Survivor.

I was basing it off how in countries like Italy, Ireland and historically parts of the US some local clergy most notable catholic ones tended to be ambiguous when it came to issues of organised crime because those in organised crime tended to be devout members of the church. But its never been an offficial stance and there have been numerous priests who have opposed criminals as well. So I felt it would fit as a neutral role

its been popularised in films a fair few times as well.

-I guess the *cannot reveal* element wouldnt work, but I didnt want them to have the ability to reveal at will cause my minimal experiance tends to find that investigating roles will more likely side with town if they find a power role of either side early on.

And I wasnt sure if making it more complicated with custom quick topics during each night with whoever they have in confession (and remaining anonymous themselves) would work in a forum scenaio (it would work if this was on the starcraft 2 mod)
Scum:
nk bastion cos he is never being lynched imo.

I don't honestly think Sir Bastion is a PR, he's too outspoken for it. But he's also a pain in the ass.
David Xanatos
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
David Xanatos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:13 am

Post by David Xanatos »

Could work.

Priest is known, Mod Confirmed 3rd party. Can select someone each night to learn the role and talk through a QT for that night. Priest gets Role and targets on previous nights.. only objective is to survive.

Perhaps make it so that the Mafia cannot NK him when he has one of their members in confession..
~ David Xanatos ~

izakthegoomba
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: I don't know

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:32 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

Sir Bastion wrote:-I guess the *cannot reveal* element wouldnt work, but I didnt want them to have the ability to reveal at will cause my minimal experiance tends to find that investigating roles will more likely side with town if they find a power role of either side early on.

Finding and revealing are two different things. Also if they claimed a scum the mafia would kill them and they'd lose. If they found a Power Role and outed them the town would lynch them and they'd lose. There's no need for that post restriction.

And I wasnt sure if making it more complicated with custom quick topics during each night with whoever they have in confession (and remaining anonymous themselves) would work in a forum scenaio (it would work if this was on the starcraft 2 mod)

Sounds cool. Remove the anonymity and you get paranoia for everyone. heheheh.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 am

Post by Empking »

Survivors should still go in the other thread (better that ambigious post restrictions though so its progress.)
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #867 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 am

Post by Magua »

David, post restrictions never work to stop the flow of information the player actually wants to get across. There are too many phrasings and gray areas that can be put across. Post restrictions that are variants of "You know X, but you can't tell the other players" are invariably circumvented.

Survivor role is mostly pointless, but mod-confirmed survivor role is utterly pointless. Scum will never shoot him, town will probably never lynch him, so he'll just prod dodge all game because he has no incentive to actually do anything since he wins either way.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #868 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Post by Ythan »

You are
Agnes
. You win when the player above you wins. Once during the game you may change your win condition to "You win when the player below you wins."
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #869 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Post by lewarcher82 »

you are an
anchor
. You pick a player at any point of the game and win with that player. If you die before picking, you lose.
Used to play a lot, haven't played for like 8 years, would like to play again.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #870 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Post by Ythan »

Anchor makes me think they would be bound to your success, not (just) the other way around.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #871 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 869, lewarcher82 wrote:you are an
anchor
. You pick a player at any point of the game and win with that player. If you die before picking, you lose.

And here's a version of the above that allows for nicely self-balancing policy vigging:

You are an
Assimilator
. You can kill one player each night. When you succeed at killing a player, you lose this role and instead gain that player's role (including factional kills, QT access, and win condition). You cannot win before you gain a win condition via this role's ability.

Optimal play is to shoot bad players, as you end up strengthening that player's faction (which is the faction you end up on) by replacing a bad player with yourself (who is, statistically, likely to be better). And it's also pretty much self-balancing, as the town:scum ratio stays the same regardless of who you aim at. (The major issue is shooting something like a Cop; you won't find out their previous results in the process. Perhaps the rule should be changed so that you do.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #872 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 871, callforjudgement wrote:(The major issue is shooting something like a Cop; you won't find out their previous results in the process. Perhaps the rule should be changed so that you do.)

I don't think that's necessary. It's like a combination killer/self-backuper, and backup investigative roles tend to work fine without knowing their predecessors' results.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #873 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Inquisitor (Town) - Each night you may target a player, if they are town aligned they are killed.
Provocateur (Scum) - Each night you may provoke a lynch mob, if you do each player in the game will PM me the name of the player they want to lynch. The person with the most votes is then killed; in case of a tie you may decide which one to kill.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime