Ethics: Type-2 Metagaming

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Lynch All Liars is bad, and metagaming is bad in general.
You have a duty toward your fellow players to maximize your team's chances of winning in the game you are currently in.
Contradiction right there. As a townie, you have no reason to lie. Only in very special cases, which will be judged individually anyway. LAL rules, it catches scum a lot, it lynches town in a very few cases.

Also, what does this has to do with ethics?
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #19 (isolation #1) » Mon May 22, 2006 10:29 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Just a nitpick: "ethical", this word does not really exists. The word you are looking for is "moral".
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Mon May 22, 2006 11:50 pm

Post by VisMaior »

Not really. "Ethical" has been made up so people can say "moral" with less pressure.
"you behave unethical" Is just a polite way of saying "you behave immoral". No real difference of the meaning, just that "unetical" does not sound so hard as "immoral".
[/etymology]
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Tue May 23, 2006 12:19 am

Post by VisMaior »

I disagree with you there, but I wont go OT anymore. LAL=good. Townies now that they should not lying. Scum has to lie. I agree if there were no LAL people could lie, but as it standsm LAL helps winning games for town, so why is it immoral?
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #27 (isolation #4) » Tue May 23, 2006 12:20 am

Post by VisMaior »

And the logical thing to do is not voting for him if you think he is townie. That does not do anything with ethics tough.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #34 (isolation #5) » Tue May 23, 2006 1:20 am

Post by VisMaior »

I cannot think a situation in a C9 where a lying townie benefits the town.

Saying that, there seem to be some misconception here.
I think most liars should be lynched. But to me, "Lynch All Liars" implies more than that; it implies you should lynch even liars that aren't scummy, otherwise it'd be "lynch most liars". As a townie, you should lynch exactly those liars whose lynch you expect to help the town more than the alternatives; no more, no less, even if lynching more liars than that prevents future bad play.
Yes, but
1. if he is caught in a lie, his scumminess jumps a lot.
2. LAL doe snot mean you really have to, and obliged to, and simply MUST lynch everybody who lied. If you happen to know for sure he is innocent, of course you dont kill him. Its a metagame ploy, thus, a reason to vote for or lynch the liar, but as all reasons, you dont
have
to listen to it.

Generally you dont have 100% information on anybody. And even if you are 99% sure someone is innocent, if he is caught in a lie, you should modify your assuredness to somewhere 0%-99%, (varying on individual cases).
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #36 (isolation #6) » Tue May 23, 2006 1:23 am

Post by VisMaior »

Just a little bit of addition: lynching someone on LAL is not immoral. the dilemma of morality does not come up, as it is the norm to do so. in fact, lynching a townie is not unetchical, altough it is bad for your chances to win.

The morality question emerges in other situations, like, breaking the rules, or ruining the fun of others. metagaming does not fall in any of these.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #38 (isolation #7) » Tue May 23, 2006 2:14 am

Post by VisMaior »

LAL does mean you simply MUST lynch everyone who lied, otherwise you're not applying LAL properly. It's that extreme which makes it a debatable principle, but also that extreme which makes it powerful.
That is wrong. You can sometimes deviate from it, and that does not take away its power. Its still a valid reason to vote someone in the next game.
When we have a situation like enforcing a metagame strategy, and in the process harming not only your chances of winning but everyone else on your side's, it is arguable that within the context of the game that is unethical behaviour.
And lynching a townie harms not only our chances of winning, but everyone elses in our side. i fail to see the moral dilemma: you cannot claim that LAL harms your chances, except when you have 100% sure evidence that the person lying is in fact innocent. thus the same rule should apply as by hammering a townie: you could not have known better.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #40 (isolation #8) » Tue May 23, 2006 2:16 am

Post by VisMaior »

That is true too. But applying LAL and lynching the liar is not immoral either.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #47 (isolation #9) » Tue May 23, 2006 9:08 am

Post by VisMaior »

We're looking specifically at a situation where we're relatively sure the liar isn't scum, but we lynch him anyway purely to maintain the metagame strength of LAL.
This is a contradiction in itself, You cannot be "relatively sure he is town" if he is caught in a lie, exactly because of LAL...
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #50 (isolation #10) » Tue May 23, 2006 9:26 am

Post by VisMaior »

So? that does not change a thing from the persons POV who is applying LAL. Its not like the liar said "I dont agree to LAL, but Im the cop" or something. LAL is worth applying, because more likely than not it catches scum.

I think the whole debate has nothing to do with ethics tough. I think the OP failed to represent a situation that requires a moral decision.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #52 (isolation #11) » Tue May 23, 2006 10:27 pm

Post by VisMaior »

There's a tradeoff between good play (that is, achieving a win for your current team (ignoring cults for the moment)) on the one hand, and achieving your personal goals on influencing people's behavior in future games on the other hand. (Possibly those goals are shared by your teammates, possibly not.) You're weighing the interest of one group of people against the interest of another group of people (including yourself). To me, that makes it an ethical issue.
But, the situation cannot come up where you have to make that decision, because you cannot know you are doing that. The only case in wich this decision would come up is if you are 100% sure (via copinvestigation or otherwise) that the lying person is in fact a townie. And in that case, enforcing LAL is clearly stupidity. But that case does not make LAL less viable in any other situations.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #54 (isolation #12) » Wed May 24, 2006 1:41 am

Post by VisMaior »

My point is you cant be 90% sure, if he is caught in a lie.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #55 (isolation #13) » Wed May 24, 2006 1:46 am

Post by VisMaior »

Its not like the metagaming reason has no base. There is no reason for a protown person to li,e while scum is forced to. If the metagaming reason was to "lynch all who says "duck"", id agree. Then the only thing keeping up the validity of the metagame ploy is that the players do know the rule. This is however not the case with LAL. LAL has validity even if the players do not know about it.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #57 (isolation #14) » Wed May 24, 2006 2:58 am

Post by VisMaior »

because 100% leaves no place for doubt. 90% does leave, and beeing caught in a lie should let that doubt grow a lot.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #59 (isolation #15) » Wed May 24, 2006 3:00 am

Post by VisMaior »

My point is: applying LAL enhances the chances of your side winning. I think the unethical would be to not apply it.
But then at least admit that you're choosing to play worse to increase play quality in future games
How am I playing worse if I apply LAL? The ONLY case... I feel like repeating myself here.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #61 (isolation #16) » Wed May 24, 2006 3:21 am

Post by VisMaior »

But, scum can appear very protown. Lying is a scumtell, independent of LAL. LAL exists only, because lying is that strong a scumtell. There is no such animal as a liar who appears protown.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #63 (isolation #17) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:06 am

Post by VisMaior »

A bit more detailed example please? I didnt said a lying townie does not exist, I just said a lier wo appears protown, does not exist.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #65 (isolation #18) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:15 am

Post by VisMaior »

Its still not an ethics question. You obviously decide for the option that maximises your chances in that particular game.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #67 (isolation #19) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:22 am

Post by VisMaior »

I think LAL is extremely good. People who dont think you should maximise your chances of a game are playing bad. The two does not correlate.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #68 (isolation #20) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:25 am

Post by VisMaior »

What Im trying to say is, that the problem actually does not exist in real games. A situation where you have to decide to apply lal and go with the worse chances or dont apply and have better chancec simply does not come up. Because, independent of LAL, lying is extremely scummy.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #70 (isolation #21) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 am

Post by VisMaior »

which is that metagame ploys are bad.
No. I dont think applying metagame ploys is immoral. Its part of the game. Like when I know someone who gets nervous and jumpy when scum, I vote for him based on that, and I dont think Im doing an evil thing. Pokerface is a skill that players should evolve. If someone lurks and is active elsewhere on the site, I draw conclusions form that. These all enhance the chances of winning whatecer side Im on, so not applying them would be the unethical thing, IMHO.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #71 (isolation #22) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 am

Post by VisMaior »

I take thet back. It would not be unethical to not apply them.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #72 (isolation #23) » Wed May 24, 2006 4:51 am

Post by VisMaior »

Basically, I think there are a set of rules, and as long as you dont break the rules, noone can throw a stone at you.

A much more interesting thing would be the modding aspect, as mods do not have rules to them.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #75 (isolation #24) » Wed May 24, 2006 8:28 am

Post by VisMaior »

Fiasco, do understand: while you have no reliable information on the real alignment, any lynch is actually good game. You cannot claim that someone was playing against the win, simply because they had no information a priori. Thus, the problem is a made up one. It never actually arises!
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #77 (isolation #25) » Wed May 24, 2006 10:02 am

Post by VisMaior »

I agree with you that lynching someone against your judgement just to keep consistent with some metagame-rule is bad play. (altough LAL would not fall into this category) But its not unethical.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”