Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 5, xRECKONERx wrote:I'm just now starting to get into more complex board games. Or rather, board games past whatever Hasbro puts out. I've been playing Shadow Hunters for over a year now, and the game is still damn fun every time I play it. I recently purchased the Dominion base set after spending time playing the game on Isotropic... and goddammit, shuffling is a pain in the ass and slows the game WAY down. Any tips for speeding up gameplay in Dominion?

Nuwen recently bought Arkham Horror while we were staying with her for a few days and I really liked it, even though it felt unnecessarily complex.

What are some staple board games? I've heard some people mention Settlers and Puerto Rico as possibilities, but what are some solid games that everyone should have in their collection? (And I don't mean Monopoly and Clue).

If you are looking for complexity, Agricola might be an idea. It's mostly complex in the way you have to plan, and you do need at least 1 other boardgames enthousiast. IMO, it's a game for the hardcore boardgamer. But others might disagree.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 11, hitogoroshi wrote:No one walks away from the table with sore feelings, which can happen in some games (aforementioned Agricola family-starving).

Which is just punishing bad play, tbh. Even forcing them into fishing or the other food thing (don't know the english name) is setting them back, so if they let it get so far that they can be forced into that... yeah. In my experience it's a lot better then settlers of catan, which does suffer from that if you are playing with people you want to stay friends with... on the other hand, most of my family doesn't really see it as "suffering". Some people like the arguing.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 16, UberNinja wrote:Some of my friends want to play Settlers of Catan with me. Any good tips?

Oh and I think they want to play Catan: Cities and Knights too. Strategies would be awesome.

Base game? Build cities. They rock. Don't focus on sheep (wool, whatever you call it). Numbers around 7 are cool, but don't mean everything. Getting good numbers all over beats having one 8 and 2 3's. The maths are rather simple. Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

Cities and Knights? Strategies are a little less defined here. A couple of green cards are amazing, blue cards are very cool as well, yellow are okayish in general. They'll explain you how you can get those cards. Don't let your cities die, so have a knight around at least. Place your knight around the fields which are very important for your income, and use him to get the robber away (or at least to threaten you'll do it if they place the robber there, so they won't use it on you or your most important fields).

Overall: Trade even if you don't need it immediately. If someone offers you a resource you generally lack since you have bad numbers on those, for something you will get often enough, don't hesitate. If you think they'll give more then one resource for one of you, don't hesitate to ask, argue why it's only fair (they'll be getting their village/city etc, and you are
helping
them). In general, be a nice person. People like people who trade easily, and if the rest of the players lock up, that means you'll be getting the good deals.
Don't
trade with the bank if you can help it. 4:1 isn't worth it, 3:1 still isn't, 2:1 may have exceptions when you are ahead and nobody wants to trade with you, but in general it's just a bad idea.

Don't go overeager on the knights, they are cool, they give victory points, but they don't net you a lot of income. Even in cities and knights, cities are awesome, though less so then in the base game. If you can build
anything
, don't hesitate. Every resource spend will give you an advantage.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 am

Post by mykonian »

Dominion arrived a couple of weeks ago now, been playing it in the weekends with the family. Generally, I've never had trouble with the game being really boring. The problem is, the better people play, the more the game gets determined by that small move in the 3rd round or so. The big advantage is that compared to other games with the same depth it's very quick. You'll never get the same feeling of joy as in other games perhaps, it's more a calm battle of wits after which you and your opponents shake hands on the nice game you had, I guess.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #37 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 35, xRECKONERx wrote:By the way -- at what point in TTR do you pick up more tickets, usually?

ASAP
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #41 (isolation #5) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 am

Post by mykonian »

I've been taking another one as soon as I didn't think it likely that my route's would get blocked soon.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #45 (isolation #6) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:31 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 39, saulres wrote:I've found Settlers to be enjoyable for the non-gamers. To prevent boredom on replay we shuffle up the tiles and numbers.

In post 25, mykonian wrote:Base game? Build cities. They rock.

That only works if you get the resources to do it. The randomness of dice means your initial strategy may not pan out, so you have to be flexible.

Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

But it sucks if that number doesn't come up. I try to avoid duplicate numbers unless they're for logical pairings (lumber and clay or wheat and ore) and spread out my numbers more so I'm more likely to get
something
on every roll.

Yeah yeah, dice are random. Still, if you have the chance... you want to build cities. You want to increase the chance of you building cities as well.

Further, again, dice are random. But having a hand full of stuff sometimes beats having a halffull hand always. Esspecially at the start this works, after which you should spread out anyway and consolidate.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #52 (isolation #7) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 47, saulres wrote:
In post 45, mykonian wrote:But having a hand full of stuff sometimes beats having a halffull hand always. Esspecially at the start this works, after which you should spread out anyway and consolidate.

See, this is why Settlers is such a great game. You have your strategy, I have mine, and each are equally viable, depending on the layout of the board and the initial placements.

so, lame.

And no, I do not appreciate your effort.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #223 (isolation #8) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:46 am

Post by mykonian »

agricola has very little luck, lots of planning. Personally I love it but it's not for everyone.

If I have a little idea of who you are I don't think it's for you. It's more of a game game then a fun game.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #225 (isolation #9) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 am

Post by mykonian »

I fear I'm not really familiar with puerto rico.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #317 (isolation #10) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 287, zoraster wrote:So THAT'S why he was bitching about TTR being "just card drawing and luck" last night.

I think I agree here. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to me the dominant strategy in ticket to ride is rather obvious.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #323 (isolation #11) » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 319, hitogoroshi wrote:Well yeah there's one dominant strategy, it's to use tickets to get points.

TTR is a tactical game, not a strategic one. Not an especially deep tactical game, but more than nothing. Talking about the strategy of it is like saying there's a 'strategy' for Yahtzee. They're not really strategy games, its about mentally estimating probabilities. The difference is that TTR involves other people so it's a little less solvable.

Yahtzee has the strategy choice (which isn't obvious to everybody) where you either go for the bonus or go for 4 of a kind etc.

The europe version might have some rules different to others, I don't know. But there you really can't go without your large route pretty much, gives simply too many points. Further, getting new routes asap (where the "p" is determined by routes which you have to take since they could easily get blocked by others) is pretty much mandatory. The only real choice you have is afterwards, at what point you show off which routes you actually have.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #567 (isolation #12) » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:10 am

Post by mykonian »

to me, Catan doesn't get boring that quickly. It's not that easy to find the best strategy.

As for similarities between agricola and settlers, uhm, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. Catan is easy to pick up, simple rules etc. Agricola is a bit harder. It has a lot of choices to make, a lot of planning to do, and the results aren't always clear cut. It's an amazing game, but it's not easy to pick up.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #591 (isolation #13) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 am

Post by mykonian »

woo, sudo is a village idiot :D
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #595 (isolation #14) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:04 am

Post by mykonian »

then I think I have a couple of questions for you. A. why are those 4 cards on the board often enough for you to have a standard opening, B. what use is a 4th buy moneylender and C. why are there always good +draw cards on your board?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #597 (isolation #15) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 am

Post by mykonian »

For speed, perhaps? Maybe if there's a dominant 5 cost around that you want to race to? But yes, that's rather situational.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #612 (isolation #16) » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Post by mykonian »

second that question.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #645 (isolation #17) » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Post by mykonian »

There's nothing wrong with monopoly for what it is. The static board is a shame, but there was little they could do about it at that time. The game itself is rather nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #654 (isolation #18) » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 650, hitogoroshi wrote:
In post 648, Axxle wrote:I'm not actually too much of a fan of Catan, a bit too much randomness with the dice rolls, especially since the dice that came with the set does not like to roll certain numbers (I've kept track and it's definitely a statistically significant difference)
Mind throwing down the stats? I'm curious as to which numbers.
uhm. There are just 6 sided dice there. Usually without lead on one side.

I'm very sceptical here, esspecially at the significant bit.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #753 (isolation #19) » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:37 am

Post by mykonian »

Start in the morning, play till deep into the night. Sounds like a dream to me!
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1135 (isolation #20) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Post by mykonian »

There's not such a thing, new games get made all the time, new favorites rise up. Missing out has more to do with the people you are with than with generations. Settlers made big waves in our family and for years it would get played whenever we met. Games like carcassonne or dominion never even found their entrance, even though you might describe them as decent accessible board games. Scumchat got me to play dominion online back when that was readily available. On the brit meet, I saw all kinds of strange games I had never played before and they were fun as well (I made an effort to introduce coup with some family members the weekend after!).

You don't miss out on stuff with this. All you need is people to play with. As for shops, you kind of have to run into them. I doubt there's a lot of profit to make on games, but there's always people who make their hobby into their job and run some small store in a non-prime location. Otherwise, the internet sells everything you could possibly need.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1814 (isolation #21) » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:37 am

Post by mykonian »

Slightly, but not in a bad way. It has a couple more cards that have interaction with your opponents, which give them choices in play again, and it has a couple of cards that have options on them. So yes, you are probably a bit more involved in the game, also on your opponents turns, and that's probably good for the game.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1914 (isolation #22) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:36 am

Post by mykonian »

aww, your writeups are the best part of that game.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2368 (isolation #23) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Post by mykonian »

That's a game I should look into someday. Looks very interesting.

Diplomacy is the only one I know from LLD's list. That one is amazing, but quite hardcore. Takes dedication, takes time. Not for everybody.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2385 (isolation #24) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:25 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2384, Untrod Tripod wrote:Machi Koro
I saw this played but couldn't really make sense out of this, would love to know more about it. What could you tell me about it? :)
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2396 (isolation #25) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:17 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2395, xRECKONERx wrote:but also, i play plenty of euros that are basically solitaire, so *shrug*
which ones?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2433 (isolation #26) » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:55 am

Post by mykonian »

I mean, they aren't the most impressive cards, but half that list has practical (narrow) use. Woodcutter specifically, I'd miss.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2436 (isolation #27) » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2434, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Woodcutter had great synergy with Gardens, but I won't miss those cards beyond that.
it could also be the key piece of an engine that you had to find the right moment for to buy. That was cool to pull off.

Either way, half a year ago my brother got Intrigue from me and I've got the base set myself, so I think I'll let it pass. Great game though, if the family is together nowadays it tends to get played.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2505 (isolation #28) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 2505, PJ. wrote:She's def not really a chess girl, so Twilight Struggle and Hive are probably out. How do you feel about patchwork, jambo, agricola, and pandemic Legacy?
I only know Agricola and Patchwork from this list. Agricola is somewhat complex, but on top of that it's a bit intimidating. Twilight-struggle-level intimidating really.

Patchwork seems brilliant to me. It looks like a kids game, but it isn't quite that. Behind simple rules (2 min of explanations and we could play our first game) and a playful board there's quite a bit of choice hidden. Not like chess, but you try to find a optimal balance between costs and results.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2553 (isolation #29) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by mykonian »

carcassonne is the kind of game I somehow keep playing but don't see the point of. There seems to be so little judgement to it :(
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2558 (isolation #30) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:19 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2557, Vi wrote:
In post 2556, zoraster wrote:
In post 2554, mykonian wrote:carcassonne is the kind of game I somehow keep playing but don't see the point of. There seems to be so little judgement to it :(
There's a pretty good degree of control over winning, particularly if you add an expansion or two (the basic ones, not the weird ones).
This.
More than the random element of who flips which tiles, it's largely a game of speculation over how the game will expand.
Must admit that I only play "a" base game but between hijacking places other people have created and building your own, it feels like there are often right and wrong decisions, but not many murky "well this is sort of mediocre but I'll make it work?".

like, how much can you fiddle about your overall strategy game per game, and how much is just finding the best places for pieces every time?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2562 (isolation #31) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 am

Post by mykonian »

heh, yes, but then you look at your tiles, look at your men, and go "get to buissness work". It's not so much a choice, is it, there's a clear best (locking down as many potential options away from your opponent by putting your men down).

Like, given I play it semi frequently, it is a nice game. I just feel occasionally it plays me more than I play it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Molla said).
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2565 (isolation #32) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Post by mykonian »

that might say something about my family when it comes to games...
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2571 (isolation #33) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2570, Equinox wrote:I picked this up much faster than I did Carcassonne (which, I am ashamed to say, I still sort of do not understand).
As above, I feel very much the same. Don't worry about it.

But wow, the game you talked about sounds and looks awesome. Tell us more!
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2588 (isolation #34) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am

Post by mykonian »

Thanks so much, Equinox. From that description, yes, that'd have been something I would have kept my eye on. Maybe I'll run into it secondhand someday.

As for the eurogame talk, I think chamber has it. I think you could add that those games try to turn the dial towards player influence in stead of luck (not to say they eliminate it).
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2596 (isolation #35) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Post by mykonian »

chess wouldn't be very good if you could talk your opponent into giving you a pawn. That'd just make it lame. Social games are fine, but you'll run into a popularity contest of sorts, and it'll actually detract from the game itself. Like you said, doesn't matter which game you play, you'll play the same people. I wouldn't want to do that every time, it's nice to have some variety.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2604 (isolation #36) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 am

Post by mykonian »

man, that's tricky. Not many games survive well being played together, unless they are designed for it, and then they are likely quite different with 3 or more players. Some of the games already named are some of the few I could see work. Carcassonne, Dominion, where dominion isn't hard but is a less luck based game, might not be ideal. Hanabi for something entirely different, but that's good with 2. Then there's ones that don't really hold up with 2 players but are doable, say your citadels, perhaps love letter?

Hey, Vi agrees with me.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2607 (isolation #37) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am

Post by mykonian »

Game where you choose a character each round, out of 8, then they determine turn order and have some basic abilities (one can kill another character, one can steal money from them, some gain money from certain kinds of buildings etc), you try to make 8 buildings. It's awkward with two, good with 3 and 4, could handle more players, but gets a bit slow then. I know it as machiavelli, I think citadels was the English name for it.

For 3 players etc, I feel obliged to bring up settlers of catan as the classic basic eurogame. It's sadly pretty impossible to play with 2.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2610 (isolation #38) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Post by mykonian »

idk, I love it for what it is. It's cooperative, requires some memory, quick to play, not terribly deep. I guess if you want to find a bad point is that it could ruin relationships (I TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT CARD).
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2709 (isolation #39) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:06 am

Post by mykonian »

Two differen't kinds of simple really chris. One's where you have to get your non gaming girlfriend interested, then explain the rules before that interest has waned after which the game can already be played. Actually being easy to win it, now that could be something else.

Panzer being hesitant to try to teach agricola I can totally understand. In that game you keep wanting to do things, and then be prohibited by
the rules
which can be very frustrating. You have sheep, but you can't butcher them bc you have no kitchen, you have a cool card in your hand but can't play it because small investment is taken by another player. You have a bunch of weat and an oven and yet you can't make bread because someone wanted to saw so badly. And then we haven't started about resources even, yet. And that while you want to do way more than you have actions for anyway, because there are so many ways one could go about it. It's an incredibly annoying game if you think about it :D

As for worker placement games, there must be so many. We went over a fair where a series of companies showed us their new games, and our eyes glossed over with the amount of worker placement games amongst them. I remember none, and tbf at times it felt hard to judge where one did better and the other did worse, but they should be out there.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2715 (isolation #40) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 am

Post by mykonian »

nah, take it super seriously. And your friend might like you if you pre-read the rules for 5 min, but mostly so he doesn't have to explain everything in such detail and you can get started :) It's not a complicated game, but there's still a bit to it. As for tips:

It has dice, so there's some randomness, otoh, someone rolls every turn and eh, the resources you get tend to average out somewhat. Know the odds of numbers how they are thrown with two dice (it's easy to remember anyway) so you don't have to stare yourself blind on the 6's and 8's (if they mean you would end up with poorer numbers as well, perhaps there's a place with 5's and 10's that would get you better odds over time). Deserts and sea's are never going to get you resources, so you have to have a good reason to start near them, they'll also make your spread in numbers worse. Starting position is one of the more significant moments in the game anyway, in the base game stone and ore are the limited resources. If the numbers are bad on either, you'll want to have a close look if you can prioritise the one decent number with your starting position, or put it down in such a way that it limits other people getting there. Do try to go for all types of resource, but if you must miss one, weat or esspecially wool isn't the end of the world, but this depends on how well you can trade. In the base game, having a strategy that looks to build cities is somewhat overpowered, regardless, you have to have a plan of making them at some point, save up your ore and trade somewhat aggressively for it. This means that developement cards are a bit drowned out, though they are cool, given they compete rather directly with building cities. They are more of a lategame thing.

Trading looks like you'll help other people, but do stay flexible. There's usually more to it then "you get to build a village now, but I'll have the resources for a city with this trade". When recieving, it's perhaps easier to offload a resource from one of your better numbers (which is more likely to be rolled than resources from your worse numbers) to even out your hand (which is good for all resources except for ore), you can perhaps tease some resource out that you are limited on anyway, for the future. You don't always have to go for the awesome 2:1 trades with other players, though if you manage to find those moments that's cool. Otherwise, you tend to be able to help yourself a bit and help one opponent: meaning you two get a leg up on the rest of the board. I tend to play with groups that are rather stubborn in their trading, being the one that ends up trading lots is fun anyway, but also puts you practically and socially in a better position.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2743 (isolation #41) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:31 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2725, Chickadee wrote:
In post 2723, Andrius wrote:
Panzer wrote:Least favorite games so far have been Carcassone, Catan
I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes whenever this thread goes on about how either of these is great.
Y'all aren't alone.
Far from. Both games are old, rather basic and to a point time has passed them by. New games are just more awesome, have better flavour, better mechanics, etc. I speak up for catan because I think it still has a lot going for it, even now that people have moved on, but I can understand that people look elsewhere now. To each their own.
In post 2726, PJ. wrote:I've looked into Letters at Whitechapel and there seemed to be a bit of excitement to that.
got to play this over the easter weekend, and this was awesome. As in, we could explain the rules to a non-hardcore boardgame player without too much trouble, and the excitement it creates is wonderful. Sadly in the first couple of playthroughs Jack hasn't been able to do too well, but that's a matter of learning how to play, I think.
In post 2742, Nexus wrote:Legendary is a deckbuilder, whereas Sentinels has a pre-built deck, so they are slightly different. I prefer Legendary out of the two but I still enjoy Sentinels.
I forgot sentinels, but for legendary, it's a bit double for me. It's a fine game, but if I were to look for something cooperative, it's probably because I just want to have a fun game with fun people without having competativeness get in the way, which could perhaps scare them off a bit. Legendary is intimidating, in terms of all that's going on, and how it is somehow trying to sit in the middle of coop and free for all. To me it's a game that's confused about what it wants to do, to what people it wants to appeal.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2821 (isolation #42) » Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Post by mykonian »

https://goo.gl/kNWdgw

yeah no surprises here. I like the intellectual challenge, be that the game or the opponent, and I like to explore either in a playfull setting. I want to discover different ways to play the game, or I want to discover who you are. And whether it's to crystallize that out or just for the rush, games are at their best when everything builds up to a crescendo where every little thing matters, and this enjoyment is something I really want to share with people.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2856 (isolation #43) » Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2854, Porochaz wrote:I was in the middle to be fair, which apparently is a sucky position to start (although I'd argue that if there is a "sucky position to start" then it's not the best game)
Wasn't the wording I used :P

The middle has the advantage that you can play multiple sides of the board, meaning you can deal with more people, have more fingers in pies. It's a sucky position for a newbie to find themselves in, because you kind of have to know what you want, deal with what's going on elsewhere on the board. Put a newbie in France, and he'll have a decently easy start and then can kind of grow into the game, sorta similar for England.

I think you were Austria, which is about as unkind to newbies as it'll get. Either the first 2 years you sort of manage to get the 3 wolves off you, and you are set for a pretty good game (as in, it's not too tricky then to become a contender for victory), or you are in the dumps straight away.

In retrospect we shouldn't have randomized, I think the game would've been less infamous :(
Last edited by mykonian on Tue May 30, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2906 (isolation #44) » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am

Post by mykonian »

Not Anarch. It fits thematically, Anarch is supposed to just be on the genius side of crazy. That's a pretty hard balance to strike, and easy to get completely wrong. And they'll want to do sick mindgames but stay away from Jinteki first couple of rounds. It's harder than it seems to pull off. Runner side crim teaches good habits, but both make intuitive sense. Corp side, NBN will feel counterintuitive but is potent, Weyland, but esspecially HB will make intuitive sense in how they could be played.

And teach by doing, like so many games. The awkward bit is that the rules of netrunner are written to solve all potential problems down the line with other cards, making them quite impractical to read.

Return to “The Arcade”