Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #16 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Some of my friends want to play Settlers of Catan with me. Any good tips?

Oh and I think they want to play Catan: Cities and Knights too. Strategies would be awesome.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 25, mykonian wrote:
In post 16, UberNinja wrote:Some of my friends want to play Settlers of Catan with me. Any good tips?

Oh and I think they want to play Catan: Cities and Knights too. Strategies would be awesome.

Base game? Build cities. They rock. Don't focus on sheep (wool, whatever you call it). Numbers around 7 are cool, but don't mean everything. Getting good numbers all over beats having one 8 and 2 3's. The maths are rather simple. Having the same numbers is cool, esspecially if they form a part of something you can build (ore-grain or wood-stone).

Cities and Knights? Strategies are a little less defined here. A couple of green cards are amazing, blue cards are very cool as well, yellow are okayish in general. They'll explain you how you can get those cards. Don't let your cities die, so have a knight around at least. Place your knight around the fields which are very important for your income, and use him to get the robber away (or at least to threaten you'll do it if they place the robber there, so they won't use it on you or your most important fields).

Overall: Trade even if you don't need it immediately. If someone offers you a resource you generally lack since you have bad numbers on those, for something you will get often enough, don't hesitate. If you think they'll give more then one resource for one of you, don't hesitate to ask, argue why it's only fair (they'll be getting their village/city etc, and you are
helping
them). In general, be a nice person. People like people who trade easily, and if the rest of the players lock up, that means you'll be getting the good deals.
Don't
trade with the bank if you can help it. 4:1 isn't worth it, 3:1 still isn't, 2:1 may have exceptions when you are ahead and nobody wants to trade with you, but in general it's just a bad idea.

Don't go overeager on the knights, they are cool, they give victory points, but they don't net you a lot of income. Even in cities and knights, cities are awesome, though less so then in the base game. If you can build
anything
, don't hesitate. Every resource spend will give you an advantage.

Thanks! I will be sure to save this message and use it when we start playing.

<3
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #43 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Post by UberNinja »

In post 38, Regfan wrote:Boggle.

I love Boggle! There's not really a board though, haha
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #235 (isolation #3) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:43 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 233, xRECKONERx wrote:Arkham Horror is just "Things Happen to You: The Board Game" where there isn't really any strategy or tactics and it's basically like a roleplaying adventure where the game decides if you live or die.

This appraisal was more entertaining than it had any right to be. :cool:

Return to “The Arcade”