Amstaad Character Page

Amstaad
was
IS an attempt at a site-written and site-run RPG that started back in the early days of the site.
It is currently being resurrected - inquire within if you want to help or play!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am

Post by quadz08 »

Hi I made a character today.

Please tell me if I did it right, I have absolutely zero experience with this, and I find aspects and extras to be particularly confusing. Thanks. :)

Spoiler:
Name: Fortanon
Player: quadz08
Race: Mostly human, partly Elvish

Description: A tall, lanky man in his mid-twenties, Fortanon is far from your average human. For one thing, he is 1/8th Elvish on his father’s side, though it’s difficult to tell by looking at him. He keeps his long, raven-black hair in a neat ponytail, and his green eyes seem to hold eye contact with every person in the room at once. He dresses simply, wearing a loose tunic, trousers, and well-worn leather sandals most every day. A musical instrument of some sort is on his person at all times, and he simply cannot comprehend life without music.

Phase 1: Fortanon grew up in a household not fettered by social norms. His parents, Teresa and Fortas, were musicians by trade and wanderers at heart. They kept a small house on the outskirts of a sleepy town, but lived there for barely half of each year, at most. Together, they traveled the width and breadth of the continent, always searching for new cultures to explore, new people to meet, and, of course, new instruments to play.

Aspect: Symphonic Diversity
Knowledge (Music)
Knowledge (Cultures)
Observation
Rapport

Phase 2: As he grew older, Fortanon began to realize that his family was not always accepted as warmly as he thought as a small child. When he asked his father of this question, Fortas responded with a weary sigh (a far cry from his usually jovial self). “Son,” he said, “there are some who are not as accepting as you or I. As you know, my grandfather Forin, your great-grandfather, was an Elf. My face displays especially pronounced Elvish features, and this makes us unwelcome in many places.”

Aspect: Lonely Melody
Observation (2)
Resilience x2 (2)

EXTRA – Mixed Race

Phase 3: As the family continued their travels, they would often perform in public spaces. This allowed a wide variance in audience members, and oftentimes led to a mingling of social classes that wouldn’t normally be seen. Fortanon, an avid conversationalist, enjoyed talking to both the commoners (who rarely saw performances of any kind) and the academics that would often attend the family’s concerts. He learned very much from these conversations. Additionally, he began to take a more primary role in the performances: his singing was nearly as good as that of his parents’, he was becoming proficient in multiple string and wind instruments, and he had already surpassed his parents in drumming prowess.

Aspect: Virtuosic Knowledge
Performance (Music)
Rapport (2)
Haggle
Quick Wits

Phase 4: Fortanon was coming of age, and he was ready to find his own way in life. Though he loved his parents dearly, he knew it was time for him to find his own way. Though they were reluctant at first, his parents agreed, and Fortanon struck out on his own. He traveled throughout the land, feeding himself with the tips from performances, and often staying under the roofs of kind strangers. Soon, he found himself drawn to the centers of culture and learning. He spent much of his time in libraries, reading great literature and learning sciences and maths. Of particular pleasure was learning about nature, and comparing the science with his personal beliefs and knowledge. It only increased his appreciation for the natural world. He also found many opportunities to strike up conversations with scholars, learning from their expertise, and presenting them with his own unique viewpoints.

Aspect: Esoteric Soloing
Knowledge (Nature)
Performance (Music) (2)
Rapport (3)
Knowledge (Literature)

Phase 5: It wasn’t long before Fortanon had struck up friendships with some of the academics he conversed with. One of these acquaintances, Professor Kamalon, invited him to study at the university at which he taught. Fortanon initially balked, concerned about financing such an event and his lack of formal schooling. Kamalon assured him that as long he did well, he would personally ensure a steady flow of scholarships, and he was confident Fortanon would do well. Fortanon eventually acquiesced, with the condition that he would take one music class per term. The Professor enthusiastically agreed, excited to see what this odd young man would bring to the classroom and the world of academics.

Aspect: Harmonic Learning
Knowledge (Music) (2)
Money
Knowledge (Science)

EXTRA – Teacher’s Pet

Aspects:
Symphonic Diversity
Lonely Melody
Virtuosic Knowledge
Esoteric Soloing
Harmonic Learning

Skills:
Rapport – 3
Resilience – 2
Observation – 2
Performance (Music) – 2
Knowledge (Music) – 2
Knowledge (Cultures) – 1
Quick Wits – 1
Haggle – 1
Knowledge (Nature) – 1
Knowledge (Literature) – 1
Money – 1
Knowledge (Science) – 1

EXTRA – Mixed Race: Fortanon’s great-grandfater was a full-blooded Elf. Those who are very familiar with Elves, or possibly even those who are particularly observant and make some lucky guesses, may be able to determine his heritage.

EXTRA – Teacher’s Pet: Fortanon is a favored student of the well-respected Professor Kamalon, which provides him with respect from many other respected academics as well. However, his sudden appearance (and the sometimes-too-obvious favoritism from Kamalon) has gained him the ire of many of his classmates.
Last edited by quadz08 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 4, AniX wrote:I think you'd do well to consider more the testability of your skills. Skills are meant to be things you roll for when you are confronted with a challenge. In what situation would you need (or be able) to roll Family, as an example? Or Respect for Nature?

Here are the ones I think you'd do best to reconsider:
Open-mindedness, Knowledge, Curiosity and Studiousness: I would just combine these into a general Academics skill, with any particular strengths he has being represented by a Knowledge skill. [IE. Knowledge (Math/Science/Alchemy/Music/ETC.)]
Knowledge and Respect for Nature: If you wan to be particularly versed in Nature, just make it a Knowledge skill [Knowledge (Nature)]
Conversation and Confidence: Combine these into one speaking skill (Call it whatever you like. Keep it as Conversation or call it Rapport or Rhetoric or whatever strikes your fancy)
Family- Get rid of this. Unless you wanted him to have a wide extended family he can call upon at hours of need (which doesn't seem to be your intent)

I guess if I combine / get rid of those things, I don't know what other skills to provide him with. :/
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks, T-Bone. I'll look into that.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 am

Post by quadz08 »

Ok, I incorporated that advice and edited my post to reflect the new skillset. Does that look better?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 am

Post by quadz08 »

K. There was a suggestion from someone about handling money in a way that it could be made a skill, but if that's not the case, I'll think of something else to put there.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

I'll figure it out when the time comes.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (isolation #6) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:33 am

Post by quadz08 »

Jiffy: it's horrifically, almost painfully, open-ended. Look at some of the sheets at the beginning of the thread.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (isolation #7) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 am

Post by quadz08 »

what bork said

Return to “Amstaad, City of Fate”