Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I draft on cockatrice, people randomly open up 8 man rooms and draft using ccgdecks. ccgdecks is easier than netdraft in general, I don't know why it isn't more popular.

If you guys need an eighth for a draft or something I might be in, depending on how much effort it would be for me to download mws sets.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
redFF
redFF
Mafia Scum
redFF
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Post by redFF »

If I wanted to learn, what would be the easiest way? I don't really wanna spend $10 off the bat, is there a good free place to play online, or would it be best to just buy an account.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 151, redFF wrote:If I wanted to learn, what would be the easiest way? I don't really wanna spend $10 off the bat, is there a good free place to play online, or would it be best to just buy an account.

Depends on if you want to play online, or in real life. Honestly, as far as learning the rough BASICS go, you can dick around with Elements... it's similar to Magic in basic play and rules.

If you want to get rolling on it, honestly, a starter kit on MTGO is probably the best bet. Or you can do what I did and go to a local game shop... most of them have these Magic 2012 base sets for free that give you a certain amount of starter cards in a certain color. You can then buy an intro pack or an event deck just to get the basics down and play some practice games.

I don't know many other ways to learn other than just doing it. But coming to Magic from Elements helped me understand a lot of things better
Last edited by xRECKONERx on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green shirt thursdays
Haze
Haze
Mafia Scum
Haze
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by Haze »

In post 151, redFF wrote:If I wanted to learn, what would be the easiest way? I don't really wanna spend $10 off the bat, is there a good free place to play online, or would it be best to just buy an account.

Probably fastest is to grab a friend who knows how and play IRL.

Next best is to go on to Magic Workstation or Cockatrice and get someone here to teach.

Or play Elements as Reck suggests. I played a friend I met on Kongregate who was an Elements pro and he raped me the 2nd time I played him on cockatrice. Apparently they're really similar and if you're good at one you're good at the other.

TSQ Have you gone infinite or something? I've been thinking about getting onto MTGO since none of my friends play that much anymore...but isn't it really expensive to play in tourneys/make decks to keep up with the standard rotations every time?

Unless you have some Modern deck you have to donate? lol I prefer playing eternals.
~Lu-natic.

Don't say Crazy.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Post by popsofctown »

If you download Cockatrice I'll teach you for $0.00.

Yaw taught me a large part of the rules on mws. So it would balance my karma.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I'm not good enough. I win the occasional 8-4 and then glut on the free drafts for a while but then have to go back to paying. playswithsquirrels, who used to be on this site did for a while.

I'm actually just not a particularly good magic player.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:56 am

Post by SensFan »

In post 153, Haze wrote:

Probably fastest is to grab a friend who knows how and play IRL.

Next best is to go on to Magic Workstation or Cockatrice and get someone here to teach.

Or play Elements as Reck suggests. I played a friend I met on Kongregate who was an Elements pro and he raped me the 2nd time I played him on cockatrice. Apparently they're really similar and if you're good at one you're good at the other.

TSQ Have you gone infinite or something? I've been thinking about getting onto MTGO since none of my friends play that much anymore...but isn't it really expensive to play in tourneys/make decks to keep up with the standard rotations every time?

Unless you have some Modern deck you have to donate? lol I prefer playing eternals.

Pauper is a really cheap format to get into (obviously), and you can get some very high winrates if you know the format well. I really enjoy playing it, too (except for against URPost, but that's mostly due to deckchoice).
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 am

Post by bv310 »

If you've got 5 bucks to spend and you want to learn the rules, Duels of the Planeswalkers is on sale on Steam this weekend. Really good for learning the game, and the Challenges really get you to start thinking about your cards in different ways.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Post by PJ. »

I believe Shea was right on Ravnica. Gruul.

I believe Solar Flar was super popular around than though?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Solar flare was good, but that was slightly after gruul was good, planar chaos. Also, solar flare wasn't a guild deck so much as it was a UBW aggro-control deck straight up.
Haze
Haze
Mafia Scum
Haze
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 am

Post by Haze »

lol Someone give me a breakdown on the new sets and what they do.

I feel so old when It comes to MTG.

Also @Sensfan: do pauper tourneys require tickets too? Or is it just a casual room where you go around playing randoms for no prize?
~Lu-natic.

Don't say Crazy.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:27 am

Post by SensFan »

In post 160, Haze wrote:lol Someone give me a breakdown on the new sets and what they do.

Also @Sensfan: do pauper tourneys require tickets too? Or is it just a casual room where you go around playing randoms for no prize?

There are Casual and Tournament Practice rooms where you can play people with no stakes. But I was talking about the 2-man Pauper queues that cost 2 tix and pay out a pack; I think it's M12, but don't quote me on that.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
DRey
DRey
Goon
DRey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:44 am

Post by DRey »

I strongly suggest anyone who want's to learn to try "duels of the planeswalker" for steam, ps3 or 360. It's an awesome little app. Easy, cheap and fun way to learn magic. Magic Online is too complicated and clunky for newcomers.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 160, Haze wrote:lol Someone give me a breakdown on the new sets and what they do.

Here's a quick breakdown of the past 4 sets:

Shards of Alara: Wedge coloured theme, lots of gold cards (last set is entirely gold), each shard has its own theme (Esper is artifacts, Grixis has unearth, Jund has Devour, Naya has "power 5 or greater", and Bant has Exalted)

Zendikar: Adventure land. Has a "land matters" theme in the first two sets, "landfall" keyword is the big one. Last set was Rise of the Eldrazi, standalone large set. Annihilator mechanic, Eldrazi Spawn, and otherwise abandoning of the past themes

Scars of Mirrodin: Artifact-heavy block. Lots of decent equipment, strong artifact creatures. "Metalcraft" keyword and "Infect" keyword. Infect is on the Phyrexian cards only, and is a mashup of wither and player-wither (10 infect damage = 10 poison counters and GG)

Innistrad: Gothic Horror land. Tribal themes (Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, Spirits, Humans), but it's "not a tribal block". Morbid and Undying are the two big keywords as of now, but Avacyn Restored (3rd set in the block) is adding a bunch of keywords, including Miracles, which look absolutely fun.

Unrelated, but I went on my MTGO account yesterday, sold off all my collection from drafts. Got 14 tix for the whole thing, played a Cube Swiss draft. Won 2 packs, opened them, pulled two mythics and a good rare. Sold those, and I now officially have a Standard deck to play on there.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I could do some drafts into cockatrice.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Miracles is my least favourite mechanic ever.

It's a failed design in every way that only serves to increase the random aspect of limited.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 165, TheButtonmen wrote:Miracles is my least favourite mechanic ever.

It's a failed design in every way that only serves to increase the random aspect of limited.

this

A card is either going to be REALLY FUCKING BROKEN or REALLY FUCKING USELESS

I kind of like Soulbound, but I don't quite get it yet
green shirt thursdays
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Post by AGar »

My understanding of Soulbond is "Card with Soulbond comes into play, is paired with another card you control in play. Both get buffed in some fashion as long as they are in play."
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Post by bv310 »

Yeah, Creature with SB enters play, pairs with an unpaired creature, both get a bonus.
Haze
Haze
Mafia Scum
Haze
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Post by Haze »

THe new MtG mechanics just get weirder and weirder.

& Thanks BV it's mainly the lastest block (IE Innistrad cycle) that I don't know about.

And all their new keywords. Also is it just me or is there a massive powercreep going on recently?
~Lu-natic.

Don't say Crazy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 167, AGar wrote:My understanding of Soulbond is "Card with Soulbond comes into play, is paired with another card you control in play. Both get buffed in some fashion as long as they are in play."

In post 168, bv310 wrote:Yeah, Creature with SB enters play, pairs with an unpaired creature, both get a bonus.

But it's not like... they become "lovers" where if one dies, the other does, right?

In which case, it's basically just a creature card with a buff for another creature that applies when it enters the battlefield.

Oh, and rules question: at the FNM I went to last week, I was playing this guy (who eventually won the tournament). He used Prey Upon to force one of his monsters to fight one of mine. I had Bonds of Faith on the creature he chose to attack me with, yet he said it didn't apply since BoF only works with "combat damage" and this was "Prey Upon damage", not "combat damage".

That just sounded like a load of bullshit, but the guy had been playing for years longer than me so I just shrugged it off.
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Soulbond appears to renew it's trigger every time a new permanent enters the field. That is, when the Soulbond creature enters, you pick who it's paired with, and then you can change that pairing any time a new creature enters the battlefield. Plus, it appears to have no downsides, meaning that it's basically just a creature that buffs itself and another, which could be neat.

Miracle just looks really gimmicky. "Heart of the Cards" bullshit. You can probably use things like Ponder to game it, but other than that, it's real luck based.

And Reck, that was bullshit. Technically, Prey Upon is not combat damage, but it specifically says "Each creature does damage equal to its power to the other", and Bonds of Faith gives a straight +2 bonus to power. It's a static bonus, so it applies at all times for all purposes, not just in combat, so it should have applied to Prey Upon. Next time, call a judge.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 169, Haze wrote:THe new MtG mechanics just get weirder and weirder.

& Thanks BV it's mainly the lastest block (IE Innistrad cycle) that I don't know about.

And all their new keywords. Also is it just me or is there a massive powercreep going on recently?

I'm pretty sure they're running out of design space, and they know it.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Miracle actually seems fairly non-random as long as you're not counting on doing massive card draws.

It's tech as hell with think twice and forbidden alchemy, and is going to way power up those decks.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think its a fringe-y keyword that people like you will think is awesome and will therefore complain about when it doesn't work as well as they expected. I am reminded of the card browbeat. When it first came out everyone was scrambling to add 4 to any deck they had that contained red, but the problem was it does exactly what you don't want like 90% of the time. You were almost always better up with a straight up burn spell in the slot. These cards seem similar in the sense that people think they're going to work awesome, but they forget that they're going to be playing them as ridiculously overcosted spells probably most of the time.

Shrug.

Return to “The Arcade”