Mechanics (Gold and Phase System)

Amstaad
was
IS an attempt at a site-written and site-run RPG that started back in the early days of the site.
It is currently being resurrected - inquire within if you want to help or play!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 am

Post by quadz08 »

I think that the fewer moving parts we have in the game, the better, as a general rule. That may just be my inexperience talking, though.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 am

Post by inspiratieloos »

There is such a thing as too simple. You have to factor in game balance, mod effort and player effort.

The money system is perfectly balanced (in theory) and easy to play, the mods just have to separately determine the price of every item in the game.
Yaw's system is very easy to both mod/play, but it's just going to cause massive trouble when you actually use it in practice.
The second system I proposed is more complex than the money system, doesn't really differ in playability but is easier to mod.

It really depends on what the people that will actually be modding the game prefer (more work for mods vs. more work for players).
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 9:51 am

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

What about characters needing to spend money for sustenance? That could be a major pain in the ass, so we might just leave that out, unless the players want to buy beer or something for RP reasons.
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 10:05 am

Post by inspiratieloos »

The money system is geared towards having to buy food. But you can just say "pick up some groceries on the way home" get reduced some gold and don't care one way or another.

The wealth system depends on what value you give food, if you say a week's worth of food takes 'mediocre' wealth the 'normal' wealth characters will have food cut into a small part of their income, 'mediocre' wealth people earn just enough/slightly more than necessary to survive 'fair' and higher don't have to think about the cost of food at all (unless they're buying luxury foods) and 'poor' and lower will have to actively get food from somewhere.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

Isn't money quite easy to mod? Also, money is just more fun to me than the mystical "wealth levels" that we are now talking about.
after a wank.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

Just go with something and stay on it for like a month and then tweak the fuck outta of it goddamn.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to make cents. (Seewutididtherelol)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Post by inspiratieloos »

In post 104, CooLDoG wrote:Isn't money quite easy to mod? Also, money is just more fun to me than the mystical "wealth levels" that we are now talking about.

Well for every item that is on the expensive side there are technically hundreds of possible prizes to give it, this goes for every item in the game. Would you like to give the answer to the question: "What can I get here and how much does it cost?"
I'm not the one that has to do it, so I don't think that I should say that money will be better because I can use it more easily as a player.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 am

Post by CooLDoG »

Well, shouldn't the player ask, "does this store have x? and if it does how much would it cost?" Also, common sense would connote what is in each store. A smith would have iron workings and weapons other shops would be named by the items that they contain. Also, with the gold levels you still have to know if a store has something.

I don't like rolling for money either. It doesn't make cents and Kspot would say. When you buy something there is no random element ever.
after a wank.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 98, quadz08 wrote:I honestly feel like having money is kind of silly...

I mean, we have a game mod for a reason, right? "I want to buy this mid-level sword" Moderator uses his brain and goes "you don't have enough money." We don't need to create a fully functioning economy.

This is actually what I usually do in RPGs I run. Money is trivial.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 7:29 am

Post by inspiratieloos »

We really need to get one of the people that are actually going to run this (DN) in here to make a decision. The chosen system can then be worked out further, that should only take a few days.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 am

Yes. Who are actually going to be the mods in anyway?
Show

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Well... It seems I am needed to be the final call on this but I really dont want to be. I have never run a site like this before so while I can create a neat environment and dthrilling quests for people, I dont know if my judgement for mechanics is of par.

Still... I suppose I should throw my two cents in...

Skill Level:
First four years will be until adulthood.
Four additional phases can be used at a cost of five years per phase.

Gold Distribution:
Gold will be determined based on character creation. The Moderator will not distribute a set number of "Gold" but will instead give a description of Gold Count. (Ex. Low, Med, High)

Gold Usage:
No set price tag but instead will be based on characters current Gold Count.

(Basically I am going to keep tabs on who is doing what with their Gold and determine how much Gold players have from there. I dont want to have to play the numbers game.)
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 9:17 am

Okay, so it'll basically be based off of insp's system, although I don't like the idea of having to roll to determine whether you can buy something or not. That just doesn't seem realistic. I say we make wealth a number from 0 to 5. Items and characters have a number for their wealth. If an item is below the character's wealth, then it's essentially free. If it's at the character's wealth, then it costs 1 point of wealth. If it's above the character's wealth, then the character can't buy it. 0 wealth represents the most mundane of mundane items. Bread and water. If you reach wealth 0, then you literally have no money and can't buy food.

Numerous items of lower wealth should add up to a higher wealth item. I was thinking about a base of 5. 5 level 0 items to reach level 1, 5 level 1 items to reach level 2, and so on.
Show

DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 9:41 am

Post by DeathNote »

Thats fine Bub. I am just stating that items will not have a set cost and players will not have a set amount of gold.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 9:45 am

In post 113, DeathNote wrote:Thats fine Bub. I am just stating that items will not have a set cost and players will not have a set amount of gold.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it would be a pain for the mods to play accountant.
Show

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun May 27, 2012 6:46 am

Post by T-Bone »

Not found of the phases being set, but the gold system is the right way to go.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sat May 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Post by jeep »

In Fate, your Resources skill represents your wealth abstractly. It seems to work out pretty well. There are ways to deal with the current money on hand, but mostly it is easy to handle as just a skill. If you start tracking money, it becomes less of a story game.
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sat May 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Post by inspiratieloos »

I'm pretty sure that's treated as an Aspect, anyway what we have now is basically the same thing.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 am

Post by Annadog40 »

I read the thread and I think if there are only gold coins, 100 gold coins should equal $1. That will allow for more diversity in spending. Also for the weightlessness, have the money stored in an enchanted pouch.

The pouch would make the money weightless either due to weightless enchantments or the money is actually in your bank.

More expensive variants could allow for easy access to exactly how much money you need, so if you need 354 gold, you can pull out just the right amount. There could be some theft prevention measures like multiple pouches enchanted to be interconnected to one bank vault where the money actually sits.

Pouches would teleport the money to your pouch upon demand. In the case of theft for a multi system pouch or one attached to a bank, the victim could go to the bank and cancel the stolen pouch to prevent any more theft.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sat May 04, 2019 8:43 am

Post by vonflare »

I think there should be denominations (copper/silver/gold or whatever) because if we're going the route of '100 gold = $1' then we're dealing with thousands of gold pieces for each transaction and that's kind of a flavor fail since 'gold' is supposed to be an expensive currency. And even if it was called 'copper' or 'coins' it's still awkward to talk about thousands of pieces of currency in a normal transaction.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun May 05, 2019 2:13 am

Post by Annadog40 »

It could be a cultural thing. Maybe the newer Briaf uses denominations but the Passini do not. The newer system would be more common. Though in order for that to work, gold would have to be more common on Hais (the planet name) than on earth. It could work by swapping Gold and Copper and have silver be the top since it is far more useful than gold.

Though that might be a more deviation from the 'gold standard' or a 'flavor fail'. hmmmm

Maybe there was a crash in the gold market which was part of the reason the Passini collapsed and when the Briaf dominated, they came up with a new system of coinage.

Though how would the new coins equal into each other? The only example I remember from this thread was eight 'bits' of silver being one gold with gold being about one USD.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Thinking about this, maybe there could be a cool historical/magical event that got rid of like 90% of the planets gold or something which also ties in with the Passini's downfall. If we want to be typical, have silver be = 1 USD and gold be 100 USD then copper equals pennies.

I like the gun=sword and car=armor idea.
This is my life now

Return to “Amstaad, City of Fate”