Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 10:57 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 487, Thestatusquo wrote:Considering the fact that that is the deck list that just won the pro tour, I think you are indeed missing something.

The decks game plan is to stall until it can take over the game with absurdly powerful spells, and the miracle action gives it a solid early game offensive as well. All it needs to do is resolve one of its entreats, and with its board control its probably gg.

Furthermore, when you miracle something, it allows you to ignore timing rules, meaning you can cast it when your opponents tap out by think twicing or thought scouring into it.

Also, the only viable counterspell in that format is dissipate anyway.

Hmmmm...

In post 174, Thestatusquo wrote:I think its a fringe-y keyword that people like you will think is awesome and will therefore complain about when it doesn't work as well as they expected. I am reminded of the card browbeat. When it first came out everyone was scrambling to add 4 to any deck they had that contained red, but the problem was it does exactly what you don't want like 90% of the time. You were almost always better up with a straight up burn spell in the slot. These cards seem similar in the sense that people think they're going to work awesome, but they forget that they're going to be playing them as ridiculously overcosted spells probably most of the time.

Shrug.

In post 213, Thestatusquo wrote:GreyIce DOES realize that timewalkish effects have been printed before, right?

Guess I definitely should have taken you up on the avatar bet. Still, I never count on the best cards/best deck actually WINNING the Pro Tour. So much is down to variance and player skill that it doesn't take home the bacon.

But I do owe you a nice fat plate of "I told you so"
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

It's block. You remember other things that were good in block?
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 am

Post by GreyICE »

Sure. Tooth and Nail, Bitterblossom, Jace TMS, Bloodbraid Elf, I can probably think of a few more.

Point is Temporal Mastery itself and the Miracle mechanic in general both have a hell of a lot of potential.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Oh, yeah, your logic is flawless. "These powerful cards that are clearly good in any format were good in block, this is good in block, therefore this is good." :roll:

Unfortunately, the reverse is my point. There are so many cards that were powerhouses in block that didn't even get a whiff in other formats.

I still maintain that bonfire of the damned and entreat will be the only miracle cards that see serious constructed play. Maybe terminus, but there are just way better options in the wrath catagory (and I suspect always will be, outside of such a limited format like block) Temporal mastery showed up as a bit player in one control deck (hey, remember that time you said it would be the center of a combo deck, pretty much the opposite of what happened?) that happened to do well at one tournament in a very very limited format. Get your knickers untwisted, please.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Post by bv310 »

I can see Bonfire, Entreat, and Thunderous Wrath being the Miracles to run in Constructed. Wrath's got the right price that miracling it is never a bad thing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've got a UR Delver deck that'll love Bonfire, and Entreat is just goodstuff. Some of the others could be good in the right circumstances, but I'm not holding my breath. It's really hard to trigger Miracle when you want it in the current standard.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 503, Thestatusquo wrote:Oh, yeah, your logic is flawless. "These powerful cards that are clearly good in any format were good in block, this is good in block, therefore this is good." :roll:

Unfortunately, the reverse is my point. There are so many cards that were powerhouses in block that didn't even get a whiff in other formats.

I still maintain that bonfire of the damned and entreat will be the only miracle cards that see serious constructed play. Maybe terminus, but there are just way better options in the wrath catagory (and I suspect always will be, outside of such a limited format like block) Temporal mastery showed up as a bit player in one control deck (
hey, remember that time you said it would be the center of a combo deck, pretty much the opposite of what happened?
) that happened to do well at one tournament in a very very limited format. Get your knickers untwisted, please.

No actually, I don't.

Care to quote me saying that?

It's so much easier to win arguments when you argue with the voices in your head, eh TSQ? :lol:

And everything with you is an argument. :roll:
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Good job ignoring everything I said besides the one parenthetical aside which was not even really related to my point.

And it's almost as if you STARTED this argument. Oh wait, it's not as if at all. You DID start this argument.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Post by GreyICE »

I'm just going to leave this quote here, TSQ.

In post 213, Thestatusquo wrote:GreyIce DOES realize that timewalkish effects have been printed before, right?

:roll:
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

So, for a not-that-serious type of deck, I'm going to be running this, which uses Primal Surge, Laboratory Maniac, and no other non-permanents to dump my entire deck on the field and insta-win.

It dies to removal (even though I can Elixir the Surge back into the deck it may be hard to stall for long), but seems fun as hell. Playtests show I can win between turns 5-8 (usually 6 or 7) about 85% of the time if my Surge does not get countered.

Also thinking of trying out something like this or this (Liquimetal Coating + all the artifact destruction) for another troll-y casual deck.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Okay so, I have Avacyn, Gisella, Bonfire, and a bunch of other pretty white/red cards from this block. Can someone help me out, here? I don't know what kind of deck to run with white/red, and I'd like for it to at least be viable were I to take it to a FNM standard event.
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

http://www.channelfireball.com/video-ar ... -fireball/

go here, search "boros" for a decent idea of how RW is being played in the format currently.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Playing AVR Sealed. First time I've done limited. Got a kinda shitty pool, so my deck is the 23 cards I opened that didn't suck. WGR aggro; got some decent creatures, some tricks, Moonsilver Spear, and 2x Thunderous Wrath. Of course, after 1 match, I've lost both games to mana flood.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I win match 2 by upgrading my curve. Live and learn, I guess.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Really good games in match 3. Lost in g3 thanks to Zealous Conscripts and Pathbreaker Wurm.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Post by bv310 »

Played Game Day here today with Heartless. Went 4-0 in Swiss, then lost in the semi-finals in the most ridiculously close game ever.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

conscripts is so fucking good
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Match 4 opponent has a billion Soulbond creatures. The lifelink, hexproof, and double strike ones. Really annoying.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Bladed Bracers+Moonsilver Spear wins Match 4 for me.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And Match 5 lost to Bruna.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

RULES QUESTION:

If I play a Bone Splinters, which says "as an additional cost, sac a creature" but I also have an Alchemists Apprentice which has the ability "Sac Alchemist's Apprentice: draw a card", can I use the AA's ability as the additional cost to play Bone Splinters?

I'm a little curious as to how a sacrificial deck would work. If you have multiple creatures that have "Sac a creature: XXXXXXXXX" do all of their abilities creature when you sac a creature? Or do you have to choose just one?
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

No, as soon as you sacrifice it, then its all gone. In this case, the sacrifice is the activation cost for the ability. That is, in order for the activity to happen, the cost has to be paid.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

also if I have 3 homicidal seclusions on the field the effects stack right?
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Yes, though a creature can only have one instance of lifelink.

Return to “The Arcade”