NomicScum, Game 2

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Post by JDGA »

/in for teh lulz and maybe possibly hopefully not having the game abandoned (although, considering it's Packbat...)
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Post by JDGA »

Of course, you also gain points depending on how many people accepted your proposition, so you won't lose ten points each time.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Post by JDGA »

VOTE: Nay
Giving them an extra 24 hours only the second time is really silly, IMO. This also would have done better as an amendment of 203, as we currently have no way of penalising those that break 203.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (isolation #3) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 73, animorpherv1 wrote:I don't get why 48 hours. 24 hours should be perfectly fine,
barring real life circumstances.

ani, you've already said so yourself why it needs to be 48 hours. Besides, barring real life circumstances a rule change will probably be proposed within 24 anyway, so what's the problem?
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 139, Packbat wrote:There's always the obvious: amending 204 to make passage go by simple majority. :)

Of course, that will happen soon enough so I'm tempted to throw the veto at it XD
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (isolation #5) » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Post by JDGA »

Chevre, it prods you and gives you an extra 24 hours for a total of 48 anyway.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #167 (isolation #6) » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Post by JDGA »

Perhaps give a mechanism to earn extra tries? Say if you make the deadline without requiring a prod 3/5 times in a row, you get an extra "miss" before being eliminated. That's the only improvement I can think of.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #225 (isolation #7) » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Post by JDGA »

Straw vote:

Forfeiture rule Players supporting Players opposing Players uncommitted
After third skip, full stop animorpherv1, Chevre, Cybele, Lord Mhork, MonkeyMan576, Packbat, Xalxe Feirei, JDGA malthusis, Robotnick2, T-Bone
After third skip in five consecutive circuits Chevre, Cybele, Feirei, MonkeyMan576*, Packbat, JDGA animorpherv1, Lord Mhork, Xalxe Lord Mhork, malthusis, Robotnick2, T-Bone
After third consecutive skip Chevre, Feirei, Lord Mhork, MonkeyMan576*, Packbat, Xalxe, JDGA animorpherv1 Cybele, Lord Mhork, malthusis, Robotnick2, T-Bone
After third skip in five consecutive circuits or fifth overall skip animorpherv1, Chevre, Feirei, MonkeyMan576*, Packbat, Xalxe Lord Mhork, JDGA Cybele, Lord Mhork, malthusis, Robotnick2, T-Bone

* Conditional on support in principle for a future rule offering bonuses to active players
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #254 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 am

Post by JDGA »

Sorry for raining on the parade, but I still think a supermajority of some sort is a good idea to make sure silly proposals that give you a PERMANENT disadvantage for simply being busy for a day don't get through. (Hint hint, ani)
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #286 (isolation #9) » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 275, Kcdaspot wrote:Lol jdga is a filibuster

I am writing to express my dismay and concern over MafiaScum's tendentious crusades. Read on, gentle reader, and hear what I have to say. MafiaScum has separate, oftentimes antipodal, interests from ours. For instance, it's intererested in shifting blame from those who benefit from oppression to those who suffer from it. In contrast, my interests—and perhaps yours as well—include telling people that MafiaScum is a heterogeneous conglomeration of everything high-handed, dirty, and illiberal. Please re-read and memorize that sentence if you still believe that MafiaScum is the arbiter of all things.

If MafiaScum had lived the short, sickly, miserable life of a chattel serf in the ages "before technocracy" it wouldn't be so keen to deflect attention from its unwillingness to support policies that benefit the average citizen. Maybe it'd even begin to realize that it is an organizations that invents nothing, originates nothing, and improves nothing. All MafiaScum does is pollute the great canon of English literature with references to its nasty canards. Although MafiaScum is only one turd floating in the moral cesspool that our society has become, we indeed can't afford to let it gag the innocent accused from protesting adventurism-motivated prosecutions. What I'm suggesting is that we stop this insanity. That's the key to opposing our human vices wherever they may be found—arrogance, hatred, jealousy, unfaithfulness, avarice, and so on—and it's the only way that most people will ever learn that it and its conveniently bribed allies have been locking people who need our help into a vicious cycle of indigence and ignorance. As bad as that is, it represents only the thin end of the wedge. One of these days, MafiaScum will likely concoct a version of reality that fully contradicts real life.

Although it's easy to sit in the press box and criticize, MafiaScum's disciples are merely ciphers. MafiaScum is the one who decides whether or not to condemn innocent people to death. MafiaScum is the one who gives out the orders to stir up one part of the population against another. And MafiaScum is the one trying to conceal how I can no longer get very excited about any revelation of its hypocrisy or crookedness. It's what I've come to expect by now. If we don't guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by MafiaScum and its band, then MafiaScum will soon become unstoppable. No borders will be able to detain it. No united global opinion will be able to isolate it. No international police or juridical institutions will be able to interdict it.

If you're interested in the finagling, double-dealing, chicanery, cheating, cajolery, cunning, rascality, and abject villainy by which MafiaScum may up the ante considerably one day, then you'll want to consider the following very carefully. You'll especially want to consider that MafiaScum distracts itself with chaotic relationships and shiny material possessions so it can avoid thinking about how the cry of "bigot" is raised mostly by bigots. This is not what I think; this is what I know. I additionally know that MafiaScum not only lies but brags about its lying to its agents provocateurs.

MafiaScum coins polysyllabic neologisms to make its actions sound like they're actually important. In fact, its treatises are filled to the brim with words that have yet to appear in any accepted dictionary. By rejecting MafiaScum's wayward imprecations we spit in the devil's eye. There's really no other conclusion you can reach. MafiaScum can write anything it wants about how things would be different were we to give into its demands and let it undermine the individualistic underpinnings of traditional jurisprudence, but it is a cardinal principle that just because you can do something does not mean it's okay to do it. No joke.

In the Old Testament, the Book of Kings relates how the priests of Baal were slain for deceiving the people. I'm not suggesting that there be any contemporary parallel involving MafiaScum, but MafiaScum's latest manifesto, like all the ones that preceded it, is a consummate anthology of disastrously bad writing teeming with misquotations and inaccuracies, an odyssey of anecdotes that are occasionally entertaining but certainly not informative. In a recent tell-all, a former member of MafiaScum's terrorist organization writes that "if a new Dark Age is about to descend upon us—as many believe it will—it will be the result of MafiaScum's vituperations". Those are some pretty harsh words even when one considers that MafiaScum wants me to stop trying to make it pay for its crimes against humanity. Instead, it'd rather I suffer endless humiliation. Sorry, but I don't accept defeat that easily. We can divide MafiaScum's bromides into three categories: delusional, ghastly, and vicious. I suppose it's predictable, though terribly sad, that uncompromising peddlers of snake-oil remedies with stronger voices than minds would revert to churlish behavior. But MafiaScum has long wanted to prevent anyone from stating publicly that it is proof that ignorance often drives misperceptions. Why do I bring that up? Because by studying its repression of ideas in its extreme, unambiguous form one may more clearly understand why MafiaScum acts as if it were King of the World. This hauteur is astonishing, staggering, and mind-boggling.

MafiaScum's propaganda machine once said that MafiaScum would never pull the levers of aspheterism and oil the gears of Satanism. So much for credibility! MafiaScum finds it convenient to blame all of society's woes on deluded, adversarial spongers. Doing so fits with the rest of its populist sloganeering and takes less intellectual effort than investigating the structural factors and material practices that may in fact be the true reason that MafiaScum has the nerve to call those of us who bring the communion of knowledge to all of us "conspiracy theorists". No, we're "conspiracy revealers" because we reveal that MafiaScum is secretly planning to divert our attention from serious issues. I realize that that may sound rather conspiratorial and far-fetched to most people, which is why you need to understand that I have no idea why MafiaScum believes that without its superior guidance, we will go nowhere. Perhaps the thought popped into its head during omphaloskepsis. In any case, MafiaScum likes to argue that it can make all of our problems go away merely by sprinkling some sort of magic pink pixie dust over everything that it considers cranky or morbid. Admitting the apparent correctness of this brusque argument, we may prove the contradictory of its conclusion by an unassailable argument of our own, which is called an elenchus. My elenchus begins with the observation that there are two related questions in this matter. The first is to what extent MafiaScum has tried to demand that Earth submit to the dominion of inarticulate cumber-grounds. The other is whether or not if MafiaScum's plan to terrorize our youngsters is to be discouraged then the wisest course of action is to move our nation forward into stratospheres of greatness. Before we start down that road I ought to remind you that if it had its way, schools would teach students that the world's salvation comes from whims, irrationality, and delusions. This is not education but indoctrination. It prevents students from learning about how MafiaScum has been making a ham-handed effort to show that "metanarratives" are the root of tyranny, lawlessness, overpopulation, racial hatred, world hunger, disease, and rank stupidity. I'm guessing that most people are starting to realize that such claims are a distortion of the truth and that we desperately need to combat these lies by moving our nation forward into stratospheres of greatness.

But there I go again, claiming that MafiaScum promises its cultists that as soon as it's finished sounding the standard "they're out to get us" call and rallying its apostles to publish blatantly alabandical rhetoric as "education" for children to learn in school, they'll all become rich beyond their wildest dreams. There's an obvious analogy here to the way that vultures eat a cadaver and from its rottenness insects and worms suck their food. The point is that it is hardly surprising that MafiaScum wants to legitimize the fear and hatred of the privileged for the oppressed. After all, this is the same flighty yobbo whose scabrous prattle informed us that it possesses infinite wisdom. MafiaScum's pleas are like an enormous sectarianism-spewing machine. We must begin dismantling that structure. We must put a monkey wrench in its gears. And we must keep the faith because I'm convinced that MafiaScum will force some to live by restrictive standards not applicable to others as soon as our backs are turned. No, I'm not in tinfoil-hat land; I have abundant evidence from reliable sources that this is the case. For instance, our battle with MafiaScum is a battle between spiritualism and Bulverism, between tradition and subversion, between the defenders of Western civilization and its enemies. With the battle lines drawn as such, it is abundantly clear that I do not have the time in one sitting to go into the long answer as to why MafiaScum goes ballistic every time I so much as hint that it enjoys the sense of control that comes from forcing someone else to do things the way it wants them done. But the short answer is that its hypocrisy is transparent. Even the least discerning among us can see right through it.

Come on, MafiaScum; I know you're capable of thoughtful social behavior. You might have heard the story that MafiaScum once agreed to help us supply the missing ingredient that could stop the worldwide slide into fascism. No one has located the document in which MafiaScum said that. No one has identified when or where MafiaScum said that. That's because it never said it. As you might have suspected, we have a choice. Either we let ourselves be led like lambs to the slaughter by MafiaScum and its yeomen or we unite rich and poor, young and old. While I don't expect you to have much trouble making up your mind you should nevertheless consider that if MafiaScum manages to develop a Pavlovian reflex in us, to make us afraid to criticize its manifestos publicly for their formalistic categories, their spurious claims of neutrality, and their blindness to the abuse of private power, civilization will crumble almost immediately. Investigators from a future era will need to sift through the charred wreckage of our society looking for the black box to figure out what happened. Maybe they'll even discover that MafiaScum's ideological colors may have changed over the years. Nevertheless, its core principle has remained the same: to suborn revolting zobs to enthrone falsehood in the very center of human thought. If you don't believe me then note that MafiaScum has occasionally been successful at encouraging individuals to disregard other people, to become fully self-absorbed. Upon such points its natural character always exhibits itself most determinedly as it further strives to blend together incendiarism and moral relativism in a train wreck of monumental proportions.

I can't live with cold-blooded patrioteers who rub salt into our wounds. By somewhat the same token, although I admit it's not an exact parallel, it attracts prudish rascals to its camp by telling them that the few of us who complain regularly about its shell games are simply spoiling the party. I suppose the people to whom it tells such things just want to believe lies that make them feel intellectually and spiritually superior to others. Whether or not that's the case, MafiaScum relies heavily on "useful idiots", that is, people who unwittingly do MafiaScum's dirty work for it. Without its swarms of useful idiots, MafiaScum would not have been able to conceal the fact that there isn't a man, woman, or child alive today who thinks that merit is adequately measured by its methods and qualifications, so let's toss out that ridiculous argument of MafiaScum's from the get-go. Okay, this letter has become much too long so I'll just jump right to the punchline: MafiaScum's anecdotes disgust and infuriate me.

UNVOTE: Nay
VOTE: Yay
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #362 (isolation #10) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Post by JDGA »

I'm willing to vote for this one.
To everyone complaining because they don't like the rule: That's what happens when you're running with only a simple majority.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #388 (isolation #11) » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Post by JDGA »

Free points are bad.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #409 (isolation #12) » Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Post by JDGA »

Sounds good, they all sound fine to me.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #412 (isolation #13) » Sat May 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Post by JDGA »

It's a
week
If you can't get on in a week you probably need replacing anyway.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #431 (isolation #14) » Sun May 06, 2012 11:26 am

Post by JDGA »

The actual proposal itself right now seems
far
too vague. For a start, it needs to say "any potential candidate
for replacement
" or similar.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #438 (isolation #15) » Sun May 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 432, Packbat wrote:
Should a player be removed from the game for any reason, any person with an unbanned Mafiascum.net account may become a candidate to replace the removed player by posting a request to that effect in the thread. After 24 hours have passed, each player shall then be given 24 hours during which they may vote for the admittance of up to one of these candidates. If at the end of the voting one of these candidates has the support of a simple majority of players, that candidate shall become a player.

Thus, no ties, and abstaining counts as voting against the admittance of any candidate. The "simple majority" criterion may, of course, be changed to a supermajority if so desired.

That works much better. :D
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #458 (isolation #16) » Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am

Post by JDGA »

JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #469 (isolation #17) » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 464, Packbat wrote:The proposal now has 5 of the 6 votes required for passage. I doubt it needs my support, and I wouldn't be broken up if it failed anyway.

UNVOTE: Yay
gtfo, we're still in the "getting the game to work properly" phase.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #497 (isolation #18) » Wed May 16, 2012 12:39 am

Post by JDGA »

UNVOTE: Nay
Just want to mention that Xalxe is a dumb.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #503 (isolation #19) » Mon May 28, 2012 1:23 am

Post by JDGA »

lol
Sorry, V/LA and shenanigans here has made it near-impossible for me to pay too much attention here.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #506 (isolation #20) » Mon May 28, 2012 4:59 am

Post by JDGA »

In post 502, Packbat wrote:Feirei is the judge.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #523 (isolation #21) » Mon May 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Post by JDGA »

Noted, somewhat amused, and will take the opportunity to update the rules to prevent this next round. <_<
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #530 (isolation #22) » Wed May 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Post by JDGA »

I'm still in V/LA conditions, but I'll see what I can do.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #562 (isolation #23) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Post by JDGA »

<_______<
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #601 (isolation #24) » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Post by JDGA »

In post 598, Packbat wrote:I think a better approach might be through the Meta Rules - let the player win by paradox, but force the winner afterwards to patch the hole. I believe that, once we have five players, such a change could be effected through the ordinary rule-change method - it would simply fail unless the rule-change passed unanimously.

Brilliant idea is brilliant, IMO.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #620 (isolation #25) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Post by JDGA »

Or by simply adding a clause that when a rule's number is changed, all other rules referring to it automatically update the rule number to the new one, regardless of mutability of these other rules.
And 'cause I feel like someone should be nice and make up Feirei's number,
/in
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #626 (isolation #26) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Post by JDGA »

The number of points earned is based on the proposal. If the rule number doesn't update to the number of the proposal then the proposal number would presumably therefore be that of the rule being amended, which would therefore cause it to earn negative points. No one wants negative points.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #633 (isolation #27) » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Post by JDGA »

(There's nothing in 302 that forbids you from rejoining the current game :P)
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #647 (isolation #28) » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Post by JDGA »

VOTE: Aye
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #649 (isolation #29) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Post by JDGA »

I don't know!
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #662 (isolation #30) » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Post by JDGA »

I swear, the problem with being on during school when I don't often have that much time is that I'll forget about it and I won't think to check it again because no new posts/PMs >_<
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #680 (isolation #31) » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:34 am

Post by JDGA »

Which prolongs the game further, which is something we don't really need considering how long a Nomic tends to survive anyway. :|
If we're worried about someone winning prematurely on points, it's perfectly possible to correct that when it becomes a danger.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #692 (isolation #32) » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Post by JDGA »

Then why not just say "with the minimum number of votes required"?
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #700 (isolation #33) » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Post by JDGA »

(See Rule 205)
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #709 (isolation #34) » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Post by JDGA »

It's good, but needs a penalty for repeat skippers.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #723 (isolation #35) » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Post by JDGA »

VOTE: Yes
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #733 (isolation #36) » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Post by JDGA »

/no objection
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #745 (isolation #37) » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 am

Post by JDGA »

I don't like this idea, if we run out of mutable rules then we should start transmuting the ones we're definitely happy with.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #749 (isolation #38) » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Post by JDGA »

Not sure if making that particular would have the effect you would like it to, but that rule is pretty broken as it stands and deserves a transmutation regardless.
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #756 (isolation #39) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Post by JDGA »

JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #762 (isolation #40) » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Post by JDGA »

Okay, looking at transmuting 109 to make it better in general, because that unanimous clause is pretty lame in general.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”