Combat Mechanics and Comments

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:54 am

Post by Yaw »

Hadn't gotten back to this yet.

By using Attack > Defense + n as the criterion, it'll automatically be easier to get critical hits against poorer fighters than against better ones. I'm just guessing here, but for Nithrar fighting Soulair vs. Ska-Skelesh (the poor fighter), critical hit would probably go from around 1% with Soulair to 15% with Ska-Skelesh, using n=9. (Which doesn't seem too horrible. It's far more meaningful to get a critical hit if it's harder to do, while this change doesn't in any way impact the non-critical numbers, which make it clear that Ska-Skelesh is getting his ass kicked in no uncertain terms.)

But I see what you mean now about the effects of a critical hit needing to be defined first. hm...
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:25 pm

Post by Yaw »

Ok, how's this:

Critical hit means a severe injury. Essentially, the combat is over, seek medical help immediately.

Slashing weapons would probably result in something being cut off, piercing weapons would probably result in hitting an eye or something like that, bludgeoning weapons would result in a blow to the head and unconsciousness.

Essentially, this takes things out of the realm of being dealt damage, and would result in Hit Points being set to 1 (or something similar to that). For this reason, the probability of this happening should not be more than 1% in an even matchup. (Naturally, it scales when the matchup isn't even...)

Comments?
Success breeds suspicion
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:28 pm

Post by rolandofthewhite »

Me gusta.
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.

Return to “Old Aamstaad”