Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3475 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:08 am

Post by IceGuy »

Bridge Mafia: You play as yourself and an (unknown) alt.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #3476 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:19 am

Post by Andycyca »

I've been on and off it for years now but I never asked...

would you like a Katamari Damacy Mafia game?
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3477 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:28 am

Post by quadz08 »

Just flavor, or with wonky mechanics?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3478 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 am

Post by IceGuy »

In post 3477, IceGuy wrote:Bridge Mafia: You play as yourself and an (unknown) alt.

To expound on that idea: Every player controls two identities: himself and an alt. The alts are supplied by the mod and randomly given to the players. A player and his alt always have the same alignment.

Also, every player has an unlimited, always-usable power: they can send the mod via PM the names of two players. If those players are controlled by the same player, they get killed; otherwise, the player and his alt get killed.

I'm thinking 18 player slots (9 actual players) with 4 scum and 14 town.
iDanyboy
iDanyboy
Goon
iDanyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3479 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:16 am

Post by iDanyboy »

Anyone interested in a Katekyo Hitman Reborn Mini Theme game, It will only be flavor no special mechanics just want to know if anyone would be interested in playing it.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #3480 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 am

Post by Maestro »

I'm interested to see if there're enough semi-retro GBA fans here to run a
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
Mini (or Large?!?) Theme game. I'm thinking about one interesting mechanic having to do with scum fakeclaiming and some special town-powers to balance it, but other than that it'd just be flavorfilled. Please PM me if interested in sharing ideas or in hearing my own!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3481 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 am

Post by Maestro »

Also, I
am
aware of Vi's ongoing Large Theme "Mafia Behind the Maiden," and though the flavor sources are related, anybody who knows both of these games will know that the games themselves are completely different. I thought that perhaps there might be interest in FE7 Mafia since there was obviously enough interest for FE9.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3482 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't see a problem with it if you can get enough interest. By the time you sign up and go through the mini-normal queue, run a mini-normal, then sign up and get through the mini-theme queue, Vi's game will be a fairly distant memory anyway.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3483 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:54 am

Post by Maestro »

My thoughts exactly.
Guy_Named_Riggs
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3484 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 am

Post by Guy_Named_Riggs »

I'm thinking about doing a Disney Villians Mafia where all the roles would be villians from classic (and not) Disney movies. Don't know if it would be a Large or mini yet, just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not people would be interested.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #3485 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:49 am

Post by Empking »

In post 3486, Guy_Named_Riggs wrote:I'm thinking about doing a Disney Villians Mafia where all the roles would be villians from classic (and not) Disney movies. Don't know if it would be a Large or mini yet, just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not people would be interested.

I'd be interested.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3486 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 3486, Guy_Named_Riggs wrote:I'm thinking about doing a Disney Villians Mafia where all the roles would be villians from classic (and not) Disney movies. Don't know if it would be a Large or mini yet, just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not people would be interested.

Yes.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3487 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 am

Post by noraaa »

I have a theme I'm interested in, but I don't have the time/attention span really to run it. So I'm giving it to the community, I guess. If anyone -does- decide to run it I'd totally like to play in it though.

The 1918 worldwide flu epidemic (alternatively something to do with plague)

And like.. I'm not great with mechanics but I was thinking since the infection spread among people, and since you couldn't tell who was healthy or who was carrying the virus, that maybe there could be some kind of role setup where you could catch the virus, and maybe (but probably not) you could get better/randomly die (secret role change?) from it... idk really.
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3488 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:17 am

Post by zoraster »

Seems like an opportunity for a cult game:

THE GREAT INFLUENZA

Every person is generated a set of demographics that are published for all to see.

One person starts infected and is the vector. His goal is remove all non-infected people from the game or infect them.

Each night he may try to infect someone. They either (a) become infected and die or (b) become infected and lives and becomes the vector. Which happens will be randomized depending on the demographic information. E.g. infants will die more readily than healthy adults. A newly infected but alive person joins the diseased team, but does not know who is on their team. That person is now the vector and must try to infect other players.

Each day, there MUST be a lynch.

The game is won by town if they lynch or kill the current vector. There are no autowin scenarios, the game must be played out to the end.

The game needs power roles to balance.
noraaa
noraaa
Goon
noraaa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3489 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 am

Post by noraaa »

To be fair it was the mid-range ages that were hit most hard in that particular pandemic.

But yeah it looks like it would be really fun, if someone could balance it. Someone who is much better than I.
Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3490 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 am

Post by callforjudgement »

It seems fundamentally incredibly swingy, given that the town can win on any day with a correct lynch.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3491 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 am

Post by zoraster »

It is swingy. I don't think that's a bad thing.
ProsecutorGodot
ProsecutorGodot
Goon
ProsecutorGodot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3492 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 am

Post by ProsecutorGodot »

Even if I can't mod a game yet, I want to throw this out there for if and when I want to use this later.

Team Fortress 2

I think it would work best as a Mini since TF2 allows for up to 16 players per team, but there could be some explanation for a larger game.

Among your RED comrades are those who do not have the best intentions for you in mind. They only appear friendly, but are ready to strike the moment you turn your back. They are BLU Spies, disguised as your allies and on a mission to destroy your hold in the Badlands. But there is hope. All you need to do is root out the Spies and slaughter them like the backstabbing cowards they are. It's just a few Spies. Maybe a Sniper out there keeping an eye on them. How bad could it be?

I have some basics on what the roles will be. Suggestions to tweak for balance would be great.

BLU Spy
- You and your allies may choose to kill one player at night. You also have a 2-shot knife, Your Eternal Reward, which allows for a silent kill. The moderator will only announce who died, but not their role. Otherwise, the whole team will hear the victim's death scream, which will reveal their role. If you kill the Engineer without using YER on him, you will die as well.

BLU Sniper
- This is likely to get an X-Shot mod, more likely 1- or 2-shot. During the day, you may shoot one player. You have a 50% chance of having packed your Machina that day, which fires tracers, and a 50% chance of taking your stock rifle, which will not reveal you. Which one you packed will not be revealed until you fire. The Sniper does not attend BLU meetings and thus, cannot take part in the BLU QT.

RED Pyro
- During the night, you may Spy-check one player. The results will come back to say whether that player burned or not. This may get an X-Shot modifier.

RED Soldier
- If lynched, you have 24 hours from the hammer vote (or later if the death scene is not posted by then) to PM the mod the name of one player if you want to. When performed, you will pull an Equalizer taunt and die along with the player you named. Both of your roles will be uncovered. If the requisite time passes without a name, you will simply hang.

RED Medic
- At night, you may choose one person to spare from death. However, if you suspect they are a Spy, you can also kill them. (The second bit is likely an X-Shot) A Medic kill takes precedence over a Spy kill should they target each other for death.

RED Demoman
- At night, you may choose one person to visit. That player will be roleblocked for the night as you share your bottle of Scrumpy with them, though you'll be too drunk to see their role through your one functioning eye.

RED Engineer
- If killed by a Spy at night, your sentry will kill the spy as well unless (s)he used Your Eternal Reward to do you in, in which case they will also sap your sentry.

RED Heavy
- If lynched, you will break the gallows and avoid death. All those Sandviches had some use after all. However, your back is a wide target for nightkills and Sniper headshots, especially after revealed as Heavy.

RED Scout
- (Definite X-shot) At night, you may or may not choose to drink BONK. If you do drink BONK, you flee the area for the night and avoid all night actions targeted on you.

RED Civilian
- No special powers. You are simply here to help the RED team eradicate all threats by casting your vote.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3493 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

Post by quadz08 »

It's got potential; there are some neat ideas in there. (YER is cool, in particular.)

Immediate problems:
1 VT. That guy is going to be really really bummed and probably go on burnout mode and not want to play.
Heavy. Holy hell unlynchable town is strong. This is weakened somewhat by scum's daykill.
Sniper. % chance effects are just awful in general; good moderating usually involves removing as much random chance from determining results as possible.
Pyro. What does his role actually mean / do?
Medic kill vs. Spy kill: Typical action resolution implies that both kills would go through; if you want it to mean that if the medic kills the spy, the spy is effectively roleblocked, then that's pretty strong.

Overall, it seems that this setup is pretty town-sided. Lots of town power (though this is better than the opposite problem).
ProsecutorGodot
ProsecutorGodot
Goon
ProsecutorGodot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3494 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 am

Post by ProsecutorGodot »

Okay, I see. I don't have exact numbers of how much of which role there will be. Those were just role rundowns; the numbers can be left up to whoever wants to use it. There will be more than 1 VT definitely, but numbers for VTs, Spies and Snipers will fluctuate depending on how many players there are (Maybe Soldier, too, since he's essentially a Vengeful Townie)

Pyro's role is basically Cop. Whether the target burns or not indicates the player's affiliation (RED or BLU).

Okay, I see about the Medic kill and thought X-shot would restrict that, but probably not.

For Sniper, I see what you're saying about chance. Out with that.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3495 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 am

Post by quadz08 »

Keep this setup in a safe place; you won't actually be modding it for almost a year, probably (6 months til you can /in to mod an open or mini normal, gotta finish that, then /in for a mini theme).

It's very interesting, though.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #3496 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Would not work as an open, so by posting it you can't really use it.

Shit sux.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Trevor
Trevor
Mafia Scum
Trevor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3497 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Post by Trevor »

I'm thinking of doing an Avatar: The Last Airbender (possibly Korra, probably not) theme. I don't think I'm going to base it around the main characters (Aang, Zuko, etc) or the plot, but more of the world of Avatar and the war against the Fire Nation. Anyone interested?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3498 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 3498, BBmolla wrote:Would not work as an open, so by posting it you can't really use it.

Shit sux.

it will a year from now!
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3499 (ISO) » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Post by theamatuer »

One person mafia.
An alt is created, and every living person gets the password the beginning of each day. All players may only use that alt to talk and nothing else.( unless PR or something).
What do you guys think of this? Also, would it be a normal theme game or a special theme game in terms of requirements?
Its just whatever

Return to “Mafia Discussion”