Dance of the Title Fairy: ORCA's Greatest Hits

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #625 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:13 am

Post by Cyberbob »

In post 624, quadz08 wrote:And there we disagree. I don't really care where it spawns, if it's particularly memorable (iPie's is an especially good example; it's referenced at least occasionally now, half a year later, by people who weren't even there) then it's fine to be a title.

unless you're suggesting that we come back to this in 6 months' time to see if the stuff that's behind singer's title is referenced still by people who weren't there I don't really see how this is a relevant example
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #626 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 am

Post by Ythan »

I think waiting and seeing how we feel about meet titles is probably a good idea. If Pie's is the only one that's stuck this long, I think the time since then has worked.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #627 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 624, quadz08 wrote:And there we disagree. I don't really care where it spawns, if it's particularly memorable (iPie's is an especially good example; it's referenced at least occasionally now, half a year later, by people who weren't even there) then it's fine to be a title.

Maybe thats where we differ. I have never seen it referenced once outside of people occasionally complaining about how it wasnt allowed as a title, if its a F62 thing (entirely different debate) or something, it should be said "as an F62 thing" and not a meet thing.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #628 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Post by Umbrage »

In post 588, quadz08 wrote:Not to mention that the
main drive behind this title
has really nothing to do with Singer's penchant for drinking; rather, it was the thread/post that Brandi made in 62. Meet-related? Yes. Only funny/relatable to people at the meet? Absolutely not.

This. Really, that thread was the only direct experience I, and the rest of the site who didn't attend had with Scummer of Love. I think it sums up what meets are all about: drunken fun with awesome people.

I believe titles are for users, not the site. I can't think of any logical reason why a title HAS to be based on something in this forum other than that people who weren't there might not get it. And there are a ton of titles I don't get, even after having explored the wiki and starting a thread in GTKAS devoted to that very purpose. If we're going to institute an "everyone has to understand the title" policy we need more accurate book-keeping, and if not then there's no reason to exclude meets.
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #629 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

I think we should all stop meeting like this.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #630 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 630, Kublai Khan wrote:I think we should all stop
meeting
talking off of MS like this.

FTFY
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #631 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 628, LlamaFluff wrote:

Maybe thats where we differ. I have never seen it referenced once outside of people occasionally complaining about how it wasnt allowed as a title, if its a F62 thing (entirely different debate) or something, it should be said "as an F62 thing" and not a meet thing.

Considering iPie rarely posts on the site anymore and hasn't played games for six months, it's okay to have not seen it since then.

I still think
Except when he does
is an acceptable title for Pie, as people reference it in Skype calls, in occasional threads, in real life, and it is pretty much in every way related to Pie as a user just as much as Singer's title is related to her as a user.

Singer's title SPAWNED from a meet, and it was supplemented by on-site activity that can be found if you dig hard enough. Same as the title proposed for Pie.

Meets are a huge part of the site. They happen frequently and are memorable experiences for all people involved. I see no reason why they should be excluded from title consideration, assuming it's not just "you had to be there", which I don't think any of the meet-based titles besides Lucille actually were.
green shirt thursdays
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #632 (ISO) » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 631, xRECKONERx wrote:Considering iPie rarely posts on the site anymore and hasn't played games for six months
sounds like a great title candidate!

he barely comes to the site anymore "except when he does"
harharhar
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #633 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 632, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 631, xRECKONERx wrote:Considering iPie rarely posts on the site anymore and hasn't played games for six months
sounds like a great title candidate!

he barely comes to the site anymore "except when he does"
harharhar

i should say "doesn't post in threads you'd read" and "hasn't played in 6 months but just joined 3 games"
green shirt thursdays
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #634 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Post by dramonic »

In post 625, Cyberbob wrote:

unless you're suggesting that we come back to this in 6 months' time to see if the stuff that's behind singer's title is referenced still by people who weren't there I don't really see how this is a relevant example

If it weren't for being pregnant, I'm sure Singer would still get drunk off her ass six months from now <<
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #635 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 625, Cyberbob wrote:

Missed this post before. I said that Pie's was an
especially
good example, not the only good example, and not the baseline good example.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #636 (ISO) » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 am

Post by VisMaior »

HOw about "meet based titles are ok as long as you adequately detail the joke behind it on the wiki for those who wish to understand". I`d be for that one.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #637 (ISO) » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

It'd be nice for Oman to pop on in and give us a ruling.
green shirt thursdays
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #638 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:54 am

Post by Umbrage »

WHOOPS WRONG THREAD NOTHING TO SEE HERE
Last edited by Umbrage on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #639 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:02 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, for better or worse titles seem to be more than just forms of expression. The mere fact someone has one seems to be at least as important as what it says to some people. In that way, it's more of a badge than an expressive statement.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #640 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 am

Post by Oman »

Subtle, Reck ;)

I've been reading up on this and trying to give you the most complete answer with all of the history in mind, and here we go:

My primary approach behind titles has always been "By the community for the community" and part of that is accessibility for all (or, as we've grown, for most). Meet based titles are not inherently bad titles, but neither are they inherently good, they are instead inherently
exclusive
. The problem with these types of titles (meet, scumchat, LoL, skype, etc) is that they have a context that cannot be researched, or wouldn't be understood if it could. I remember saying back when Pie's was in discussion that it could be reattacked in a couple of months if it had staying power, but looking back now, it wasn't really about permanence.

To explain the difference between these two (singers and pies): Singer's feels accessible ("Yeah man, she has a habit of drunkposting, then she hosted this meet and someone posted a thread, here I'll link it. Plus she's awesome"), whereas Pie's feels like an inside joke ("He never drinks...except when he does! He never buttfucks...except when he does!").

To put it another way, Singer's joke is like "Where do cows go for entertainment? The mooooovies!" Whereas Pie's feels like "Why do lions get lost? Because Jungle Is Massive."

In post 636, VisMaior wrote:HOw about "meet based titles are ok as long as you adequately detail the joke behind it on the wiki for those who wish to understand". I`d be for that one.
This is a good idea, but not the right execution. VisMaior definitely hits the point that joke needs to be accessible though. However, just putting a story on the wiki does not validate a title.

I'm not saying that meet titles are bad, it's that they need to be accessible and they need to be a representation of that person within the community. They may feel like I'm holding them to a higher standard, but that's simply because to you (the people at the meet) "oh it's so funny and so perfect, why is Oman being a whiny cunt about this?!" Remember, I wasn't there, I need to access the title as much as anyone else.

Finally, if I say we should reattack a title later, and that person stops posting on the site completely for 6 months, well...it gives some interesting context.

So hopefully that lays out the policy a bit more. And hopefully the discussion can continue with a new focus on how we all feel about the title itself.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #641 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

He didn't stop posting completely and once again I am on this site like all the time and I don't ever see singsigner drunkposting and the title doesn't make any sense to me. But I accept the ruling. Now, the title...

She's better than everyone? Why? Because she posts drunk just like TONS of other people do?

I just don't get how this isn't a blatant attempt to shoehorn a title because she hosted a meet. I think singsing has a big site presence but "she drunkposts and this title comes across as kinda arrogant" is NOT the title I would pick.
green shirt thursdays
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #642 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 601, singersigner wrote:You're actively fighting for something you personally disagree with just because it didn't go your way the first time?
Retired as of October 2014.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #643 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I think you're a bit late, Flay.

Let's get this straight, I have never seen SS drunkpost on site. If quadz is editing as many posts as he says he is, then he's editing a hell of a lot of posts. As for the argument that she's drunk on skype often, then if we're allowing skype for a title, then I'd like to see what happens if scumchat decides to bombard the title thread with titles only scumchat would get.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #644 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm just now reading the last four pages of shitstorm. It's been a busy week.

scumchat titles have gotten through before. They have also gotten pushback before. Like so many things, it's situational. There has been no Skittles Ruling on meet-related titles, despite what Reck thinks.
Retired as of October 2014.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #645 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Post by implosion »

To put it another way, Singer's joke is like "Where do cows go for entertainment? The mooooovies!" Whereas Pie's feels like "Why do lions get lost? Because Jungle Is Massive."

The second joke is funnier than the first.
I'm inclined to agree with ani on the title itself; i don't really see singer prominently drunkposting. It's a somewhat amusing vignette, but meh.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #646 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

I agree with Oman.

Even being at the meet there probably is something better than can be done for singer. Not sure what, but if I just heard that title I probably wouldnt have come up with singer as the one who has it.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #647 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 645, Mr. Flay wrote:scumchat titles have gotten through before. They have also gotten pushback before. Like so many things, it's situational. There has been no Skittles Ruling on meet-related titles, despite what Reck thinks.

are you just incapable of reading comprehension or are you just being overly facetious when you imply I've stated I think the admins have made a ruling on meet-related titles
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #648 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

For the record, I don't think singer should not get a title. I think she's a prominent member of the site and a friend of mine and I'd love to see her get a title. But I don't think Brandi getting drunk at singer's meet and posting a thread that quickly blew up with meet participants and then died off into the bowels of F62 is a good enough impetus for her to get a title. I also don't think her drunk posting is prominent enough (because unless you get drunk with her on Skype, you're not gonna know she's drunkposting unless you catch it before quadz edits it) to be part of the "reference" for a title. I mean, if drunkposting is what it takes to be defined on the site, why not throw everyone in the drunkposting thread a title for doing exactly that?

I think there's probably something better for singer, something that isn't related to a one-off thread about how awesome she is/how she gets drunk and posts on the forums.
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #649 (ISO) » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Post by quadz08 »

I'm not sure that's the case, re: secondary meaning. If we're looking for titles to be accessible to the whole site or etc, while that obviously makes for a holy-shit-omg-this-title-is-perfect kind of thing, it's just not realistic in the majority of cases. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting down our hair a bit on titles. :P
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.

Return to “Player Titles”