The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5950 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

FINAL PART IS UP.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5951 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

I open up youtube.com and the first thing I see is myself on fire...
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5952 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:59 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

DAT GOOMBA IS SO HOT.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5953 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:04 am

Post by Xalxe »

There are now two community Ender Chests; one by the well in town and one in the Nether Hub. Y'all welcome.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #5954 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:36 am

Post by Xalxe »

Also, as a friendly reminder: if you get creepered in town, either fix it or ask an OP to do it for you. Thanks!
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5955 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 am

Post by theplague42 »

I'll play on Friday, most likely.
Part of the problem.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #5956 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Post by Maestro »

Took me forever to explore the Town enough to find the Cobblestone Factory...
There should be better directions here! Haha

Also, a P.S. Maestro Manor is being built to the left of the Spawn House and through the fence, on the cliff. Visitors welcome but DON'T DIG UP GRASS. In some places it is only one-layer thick because of some serious terraforming I did yesterday and today all by my lonesome.

Love the server guys! Great work!
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5957 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

So like, yesterday my lag problem wasn't as bad, but it came back again today, so I decided to see if I can find ways to reduce server lag.
Apparently, excessive flowing water and lava cause lots of lag, and so do self-powered redstone circuits.
I think we should do a clean up of the server to try and help with the lag problems. Mainly we should try and get rid of things that create lag and aren't really used anymore.
Would anyone consider doing this?
My first course of action would be either removing, or storing UT/IUT's lava wall around their compound.
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5958 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

Water and lava only cause lag when they are Active. Once a liquid has passed a flow test without changing in any way, it becomes Still. It will only become Active again if it receives a block update, and only briefly. When it becomes Still, it generates no more lag than any other block, because the server doesn't have to run a check every few ticks to see if it can flow. That's why Etho's original water-based BUD switch works, because still water doesn't flow unless it's updated. Also, even flowing liquid only causes lag when it's loaded. (note that I'm
not
talking about whether something is a "still" source block, there are separate blocks in the code for Active and Still liquid.

As for redstone, the only thing that causes lag when it's not in use is a redstone clock, and even then, the server should be able to cope unless there's a whole ton of them going at once. All of my redstone creations invert the state of redstone only when they are activated. The same is true for the cobble factory, the town gates, and everything else I can think of around town.

Anyway, the fact that nobody else has complained about lag means it's far more likely a problem with your connection than the server. Try rebooting your router, or make sure there are no massive data transfers ongoing.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5959 (ISO) » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

No, it shouldn't be my connection. It only started happening after we updated to 1.3, and my connection hasn't changed in any way since then.
Also Jackal was actually complaining of lag.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #5960 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 5959, Om of the Nom wrote:It only started happening after we updated to 1.3

Common complaint is common.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5961 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Post by Maestro »

Maestro wrote:Maestro Manor is being built on the large unoccupied cliff to the left of the Spawn House. The current network of guardhouses and walls is Cobble, while I expect to build the inner Manor House out of Birch/Jungle Wood. Through the Nether Hub/izak's house, I've finally gotten to a sustainable Jungle Biome that I'm going to farm the living hell out of so it should work rather well. Don't worry - if I find anybody is using things in there, I'll leave their trees alone (like the one with the giant-ass ship on it) and replant all the time. I've got Bone Meal too, so I'll be replanting Giant Jungle Trees whenever space provides. I've also found another Jungle biome across the ocean by boat, which took awhile to get to, so I might make a Portal down form there and then connect it back to the hub so others can use it. I hear Jungles are rather rare...

Also, I think I said this in the thread, but I think the Blaze Farm and the Cobble Factory are ingenius. As is izak's house - that place is a work of art. I also really liked UT/IUT's plantation, and your floating island is pretty damn cool as well. The aesthetic things I liked were the simple but epic EnderDragon Memorial, the Lava Creeper in the cliff-face below spawn, and whoever's wooden house it is that looks out on the beach in front/to the left of your island dock. Whoever it was had a realistic bathroom using a glass walk-in shower, a cauldron for a sink, and a couple well placed blocks of iron + a trapdoor as a toilet. That was just one of the many things that amazed me about that one.

All the community farms and helpful signs really make this one of the most welcoming servers I've ever been in. You guys got somethin' really good going in there, but it seems kindof...empty without actual people there.

Sent this to Om of the Nom and he suggested I share it with you all. :D
I mean every word. Also, if Rhinox is around, may he not smite me dead for using one his chests for storage while I build...I left him a little sign to let ihm know there was nothing in it beforehand...sooo...yeah. Anything else I can do to help around this place? Any clean-up that needs doing? Haha Maybe I can manage the spawn house. I'll work on replenishing the Newbie Kits and adding some basic supplies to the house, as well as a second floor and a fireplace - all after I'm done with my Manor.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5962 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Post by Maestro »

OH MY GOD HOW COULD I FORGET!

fishy's Biosphere Temple is one of the other coolest things on here. Love it - my favorites were the Nether Room and the Jungle room - both spot on miniatures. I'm building one of those automated Lava walkways too...

And a short story: we were pranking izak by leaving him a luxurious gift in his Production wing, and I got some lag so I logged off in the center of his sphere near the Monster Grinder. When I reconnected, I spawned INSIDE the dark cave up top...because Om had placed a block or two right where I'd logged off. I don't know how (maybe the players are hardier than the Monsters) but I ended up surviving the fall and we laughed enough I thought I'd share it with you all.

Melons. Melons save lives, folks.
Peace out.
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5963 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

The prank was we were throwing eggs at each other and we just happened to be in your house at the time :V

izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5964 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

The blaze farm is kind of a dump. As soon as I'm (temporarily) happy with my home, I'm either tearing that one apart and remodelling it, or finding two spawners and making a duel farm. It would be a lot easier if someone hadn't broken one of the spawners in the other nether fortress. Rage.
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5965 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

Anyone awake?
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5966 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

I am, but I can't be on for long.

Anyway, I guess I was thinking about the wrong blaze spawner. The spawner I'd need is still there...but it's lost it's entity ID, so it's a pig spawner. And I'm pretty sure it's not just a graphical bug, because it's not spawning anything. And there's no way to fix mob spawners in Vanilla.

/rage
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5967 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

So I've got tomorrow's map all ready. It's pretty small, so it should be a pretty intense game. I'll be using teleporting to start the game, so we can do pairs or FFA depending on how many people turn up.

Anyone is welcome, from the server or not. Skype won't be necessary unless we do pairs.

Signups:

1. izakthegoomba
2. dappyscroo
3. Xalxe (xalxexii)
4. Pizzadudes7
5. Untrod Tripod (UntrodTripod)
6. Jackal711
7. theplague42
8. jmj3000
9. Hiraki [late]
10. theplague42 [late]

Time: 20:00 BST (15:00 EDT) tomorrow

IP: 176.31.224.120:25599
Last edited by izakthegoomba on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5968 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 am

Post by Hiraki »

If you guys are still playing by 16:00 EDTish, I'd be able to make it.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5969 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

We're unlikely to be starting right on 15:00, but if you start late you'll be at a big disadvantage. We may do a second game or something else though.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5970 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:05 am

Post by theplague42 »

In post 5967, izakthegoomba wrote:
Time: 20:00 BST (15:00 EDT) tomorrow

Crap, i can't get on until 17:00 EDT. I'll see if I can catch any seconds games.
Part of the problem.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5971 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:16 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Would you guys prefer it if I prepare some extra arenas tonight (maybe bigger ones) for further games, or we did custom maps? I'm leaning toward custom maps because a) I'm lazy and b) my laptop is derping with MCEdit again, but either is doable.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #5972 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 am

Post by Xalxe »

I can tell you that Pizza and I will have to be leaving after the first match unless it's super fast, as my parents want to go out to dinner cause I'm leaving.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5973 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Well the map's only about 512x512 blocks, and some of the possible starting coordinates are pretty close together.

Which also means I probably don't have time to get enchantments or potions this time. Dammit.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #5974 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:24 am

Post by Xalxe »

Goddamn that's tiny.

Return to “The Arcade”