Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 am

Post by mykonian »

I fear I'm not really familiar with puerto rico.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:24 am

Post by zoraster »

It's not the same game exactly by any means, but I'd say it has some similarities in feel. For one, it's also a farming game. For another, it rewards having a strategy that you follow through with. It doesn't involve much luck outside of whether other players screw you over unintentionally or not.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:33 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

It's worth noting that position around the table matters a LOT more in Puerto Rico. Being first corn and/or being left of the worst player are both pretty big boons in Puerto Rico, and I can't really think of an equivalent in Agricola. Personally, I prefer Agricola but can never get it on the table, whereas my friends will put up with Puerto Rico.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:03 am

Post by zoraster »

I like Agricola, but there's something about fences that both bores me and makes me really angry as a game concept.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 223, mykonian wrote:If I have a little idea of who you are I don't think it's for you. It's more of a game game then a fun game.

I mean, most of the games I like playing range from insanity/fun to strategic like AGoT and Kingsburg
green shirt thursdays
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 228, zoraster wrote:I like Agricola, but there's something about fences that both bores me and makes me really angry as a game concept.

Really? I quite enjoy the tension between cooking animals and keeping them. It takes less setup to cook an animal than it does to fence and then house them, but housing them is better. So players without fences can still threaten the animal squares with a fireplace, but fences are necessary to house them. You DON'T need to choose in advance which kind of animals you're housing (so the cooking player can't simply deny you), but you DO need to choose the size and divisions when you build fences, which gives some insight into your plans. At least compared to the crop subsystem (plow get ingredients sow is like, NOT worth it unless you have at least one occupation/minor improvement in play that helps with it) I think the animal subsystem is pretty fun and elegant.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am

Post by zoraster »

oh, i don't mind that. I specifically hate the
fences
. I don't know why. It's clearly irrational.

But I almost always go for the animal route as the crop thing seems tedious.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, I've now had cause to play three games of Arkham Horror. Won game 1 because we forgot that you get 2 monsters per gate at 6 players. Lost Game 2 because of The King in Yellow. Then won game 3 with Azertoth at 13 doom counters.

The problem I'm having with the game is that there's a million things to keep track of; we only played with one expansion at a time (Dunwich, then King in Yellow, then Kingsport), and it still felt overwhelming. Maybe if we had more experience, I guess? Still feels like trying to play with multiple expansions would be a real nightmare.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Arkham Horror is just "Things Happen to You: The Board Game" where there isn't really any strategy or tactics and it's basically like a roleplaying adventure where the game decides if you live or die.
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 233, xRECKONERx wrote:Arkham Horror is just "Things Happen to You: The Board Game" where there isn't really any strategy or tactics and it's basically like a roleplaying adventure where the game decides if you live or die.

Not true, actually. It's a combination of risk management, strategy, and luck. There are plenty of things you can do to try to win. I think I have something like a 60%-70% win rate with just the base game at this point.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:43 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 233, xRECKONERx wrote:Arkham Horror is just "Things Happen to You: The Board Game" where there isn't really any strategy or tactics and it's basically like a roleplaying adventure where the game decides if you live or die.

This appraisal was more entertaining than it had any right to be. :cool:
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 am

Post by Claus »

I've played Agricola a couple of times. In my head, it looks like a fun game. But every time I actually sit down to play it, when I'm finally feeling "settled" with the game it is already over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Post by Ythan »

You should really play NetHack though.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 234, hasdgfas wrote:

Not true, actually. It's a combination of risk management, strategy, and luck. There are plenty of things you can do to try to win. I think I have something like a 60%-70% win rate with just the base game at this point.

It really has nothing to do with strategy at all.

"What random location will spawn a gate this turn? Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll open somewhere that's closed. If not, OH WELL, because it's literally impossible to close one gate before the next one spawns unless you're just lucky as shit."

"Let me go to X location to try and get X item/unique item/spell/ability/whatever to help us out... oh wait, I forgot, it's luck of the draw, instead of getting an item, by character just gets fucking murdered instead!"

"What kind of monster will I be fighting? Who knows! The player will literally reach into a cup blindly and pick one at random, so maybe I can beat it, maybe I can't."
green shirt thursdays
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Post by Chevre »

Do you believe that Elder Signs is more or less strategic than Arkham Horror? I watched the TableTop episode on it and it was quite fascinating.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

In post 234, hasdgfas wrote:

cow is pretty much on the money. If you look at things individually (monsters, gates, items, encounters, etc.) it looks random, or perhaps more apt,
chaotic
. Playing Arkham Horror well is about managing the chaos -- this involves both long-term planning (strategy) and short-term planning / reactions to situations as they come up (tactics). From the sounds of it, you just haven't played enough games to get a good handle on the game.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Post by zoraster »

i view games like arkham/mansion as sort of a choose your own adventure game.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

No no, I've played enough games of it. Probably ten or more between real life games and playing online.

You can plan long term to a certain extent, after that you're at the mercy of the game. I mean, about as much planning as you can do is, "You take care of that gate, I'll go over here or something and hope something good happens to me".

To be fair, there are other types of "Get Fucked by the Game" type board games that I really enjoy, like Betrayal at House on the Hill, and even Mansions of Madness. I think the difference there is that there's enough variance game to game to warrant multiple playthroughs. In both of those games, you get a different scenario that creates WILDLY different results/outcomes every single time, so the randomness takes a backseat to "What is our objective and how do we accomplish it?". Arkham Horror doesn't have different objectives or scenarios. It's literally the same wincon every game and the only gamewide variance comes from what Elder God you happen to be facing, and dealing with whatever minor effect that god has on the game.

I think if Arkham Horror were a much shorter game with a bit more actual brainwork, I'd appreciate it more (or even think it was a good game at all). But considering the bulk of the 'strategy' for the game comes from "which investigator is going to close the gate while everyone else gets RNG'd", and the game lasts hours, I can't really bring myself to appreciate as anything more than a beautifully flavored Lovecraftian RPG with dice rolls.

In post 239, Chevre wrote:Do you believe that Elder Signs is more or less strategic than Arkham Horror? I watched the TableTop episode on it and it was quite fascinating.

They're in the same universe and made by the same developer, and the only difference is instead of random card draw in Arkham Horror, it's random dice rolls in Elder Sign. Also, IIRC, you can move wherever the hell you want in Elder Sign, while in Arkham Horror, you're limited by your speed.
green shirt thursdays
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Post by Chevre »

...that's why I asked you to compare them, silly.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 242, xRECKONERx wrote:No no, I've played enough games of it. Probably ten or more between real life games and playing online.

You can plan long term to a certain extent, after that you're at the mercy of the game. I mean, about as much planning as you can do is, "You take care of that gate, I'll go over here or something and hope something good happens to me".

To be fair, there are other types of "Get Fucked by the Game" type board games that I really enjoy, like Betrayal at House on the Hill, and even Mansions of Madness. I think the difference there is that there's enough variance game to game to warrant multiple playthroughs. In both of those games, you get a different scenario that creates WILDLY different results/outcomes every single time, so the randomness takes a backseat to "What is our objective and how do we accomplish it?". Arkham Horror doesn't have different objectives or scenarios. It's literally the same wincon every game and the only gamewide variance comes from what Elder God you happen to be facing, and dealing with whatever minor effect that god has on the game.

I think if Arkham Horror were a much shorter game with a bit more actual brainwork, I'd appreciate it more (or even think it was a good game at all). But considering the bulk of the 'strategy' for the game comes from "which investigator is going to close the gate while everyone else gets RNG'd", and the game lasts hours, I can't really bring myself to appreciate as anything more than a beautifully flavored Lovecraftian RPG with dice rolls.

I'll just have to disagree with you and leave it at that. I've had the experiences with Arkham Horror that you seem to want to have, so it's either that it's just not the game for you or you're just doing something wrong.

In post 243, Chevre wrote:...that's why I asked you to compare them, silly.

Elder Sign is even more about risk management than Arkham is. You have to deal how many dice you have to get as well as what you have to get on the dice instead of skill levels. It's more streamlined than Arkham, in terms of time and mechanics, so if you want the Arkham-style experience in 1 hour instead of 4, go for it. I enjoy it, but I prefer Arkham because I feel like I have more choices.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 am

Post by Thesp »

I concur with pj and hasdgfas on Arkham Horror. It's extraordinarily rare where there's a game where we're not making significant choices. The variety of potential win conditions in particular can have an effect on what routes to pursue.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 am

Post by gorckat »

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

can someone explain Blood Bowl because my LGS is getting a league going in about a month and I'm a bit curious
green shirt thursdays
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am

Post by gorckat »

Blood Bowl is an awesome game that is based on American Football. You move minis around a board, passing the football, running with it and tackling opposing players. It is LOADS of fun.

The downsides are those of all Games Workshop games- Official Leagues (or even just games at most stores selling there stuff, iirc) will require official, painted minis and when adding players to your team, you have to buy those minis and paint them. It's a money sink, like Magic is, but not as bad as Warhammer 40K and Fantasy.

ADD: And the teams are Orks, Undead, Elves, Dwarves, Skaven (rat men)...

Double ADD: The card game by Fantasy Flight is wicked fun as well- it simulates the simulation, if you will (card game of board game of real game :P)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:47 am

Post by zoraster »

Blood Bowl Team Manager is sort of a card game version of it that's pretty fun.

Return to “The Arcade”