The Cubing Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

The Cubing Thread

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Hey all, this is my new thread for Cubers.

This thread is created for the purpose of discussing the cube, discussing hardware, showing records, learning how to solve, discussing methods and whatever else you can think of.

There is a lot more to cubes than just turning and solving. There is a lot more than just cubes too.

I'll work on writing a beginner's tutorial and maybe I can make some speedcubers out of you.

For my own Story: I had always wanted to learn how to cube but finally received one as a gift. Spent the weekend learning how to solve. Back then it took me around 2 minutes to solve.

The more I practiced the better I got, turning it into a huge hobby. I dropped my times down and looked into other cubes. Got better, faster cubes and dropped my times.

Currently I reside at a 15.13 second record with an average of 5 record of 20.19.

Avg of 12: 23.23 seconds.
One handed: 38.79 seconds.
4x4: 1:44.xx
2x2: 1.56 seconds
5x5: Somewhere in the 5 minute range
Magic: 1.66
Pyraminx: 7ish seconds(Dont remember)

So yeah, feel free to post and discuss Cubing. I didn't know people on MS cubed, I'm hoping to get more converts to the fun world of cubing.

(If you are going to go solo on learning, I recommend starting with CFOP/Fridrich (With 2-step OLL and 2-Step PLL). It isn't the easiest way to do it, but I guarantee that its way faster than anything Dan Brown will ever teach you.)

Guides:

VisMaior's Guide to Solving the Cube for Beginners

Robo's Guide to CFOP:
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 1, xRECKONERx wrote:waht

/facepalm

Woops.

Forgot to mention that when I say Cubing, it refers to Rubik's Cubes. Thing is though, nobody who is actually into Cubing uses Rubik's, because the Rubik's brands aren't intended for speed.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 8, MattP wrote:That's awesome! I've never "cubed" but I have always wanted to learn.

Thanks for being the first person to properly respond to this thread.

Junpei wrote:Are there any cubes with more complicated algorithims than the 3x3x3 beyond layering on top of the 3^3 algorithims?

I also forget how to spell algorythms I think there's a y in there somewhere. I'll have to look it up later.

Good question, You see, many people have created methods to solving the cube. A lot of these methods use their own algorithms (That is properly spelled, btw, no y) to solve. This creates a crap ton of possible algorithms you can learn just for the 3x3.

That doesn't answer your question though, here is the answer to your question.

Meet Megaminx. Gigaminx. And Teraminx.

Though these guys aren't the only one with extremely gigantic permutations, they aren't technically cubes. Yet people in the Cubing community still refer to them as cubes.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In addition to that, algorithms don't necessarily get more "complex". In fact, the less amount of turns needed to solve your problem the better, because less turns means less time.

Quite a few algorithms made are Commutators. If you are interested in the more intelligent aspect of the cube, Commutators are a good way to start.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 14, Junpei wrote:Fuck man, that's massive. Can I buy those not online or do I have to go through the hassle of using paypal and stuff online? I'd probably skip to the second one because it's more impressive than the first and the third is too big to carry around.

As someone who has completed the 3 cube a ton and in multiple ways, would I still get a challenge out of this (looks like a definite yes, but just curious on your stance)?

Sorry, if you want something that is actually going to work good, then you need to use the internet. Unless you have a Hobby shop nearby, I hear that there is sometimes Cubes there.

Yep, Challenge indeed. I only own a Megaminx, and though I simply applied the method of the 3x3 to it, it stillwas fun to solve.

TheButtonmen wrote:Do you use layer or petrus method?

Layer.

CFOP/Fridrich

First part of the tutorial is almost done. I'm going to slowly build this tutorial. Whether people read it or not, I don't really care. I've wanted to make a guide for a long time.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (isolation #5) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Historical Background of the Cube (From my head, feel free to correct):
The Rubik's cube was named after its founder. A Hungarian proffesor named Erno Rubik. Erno Rubik was attempting to invent a device that could have parts move by themselves without the rest falling apart. Later on he scarmbled the cube and attempted to put it back in its original orientation and noticed its potential as a Puzzle. He got a patent and released by the name of "Magic Cube". But changed later to be named after its inventor.

Erno Rubik still lives, and unfortunately doesn't really actively take part in the Speedcubing community. He very rarily attends competitions.

Feliks Zemdegs is the current holder of the World Record. He is a god in the Cubing world, he is by far the fastest cuber. However, there is much more to cubing than speed. Felik's isn't unbeatable, but I would take a lot of skill to beat him. If you wish to see his record solve, go to youtube for it. He solved it in 5.66 seconds. His story is actually quite amazing too.

3x3x3 CFOP Tutorial: Part 1.0

Notation:

The Cube consists of 6 faces. 9 stickers per side for a total of 54 stickers. In order to put cubing in a way that everyone understands, there needs to be a proper language to write algorithms in. This is known as notation.

Here is an example algorithm:

R U R' U'

This is known as the "Sexy Move". It is one of the most common algorithms in the 3x3 and appears inside of many algorithms.

It looks like this, (I use alg.garron.us to show algs. If you ever would like to see an alg in action, then simply plop it in to alg.garron.us)

R U R' U'

Each letter refers to an individual turn.

There are 7 letters that you need to know to turn the cube, and 2 that are rarely used.

R(ight)
L(eft)
D(own)
U(p)
B(ack)
F(ront)
M(iddle)

The other two:
S
E

Also they have notation for actual cube rotations,
x
y
z

As you may have noticed before I put an apostrophe on the end of a couple letters in the Sexy Move. Well thats because every standard letter without an apostrophe refers to a clockwise turn. With an apostrophe is called prime. Which is counter-clockwise.

Example: U'

Also, you will see letters such as, D2. In which you not turn the layer once, but twice. Two is the maximum amount of turns you should do for any layer. U3 would be the same thing as U'. Thus you will never see anything above two unless the puzzle you are using a puzzle with more faces than the 3x3.

Another thing you need to know is that all the notation is in uppercase for single layer turns. You will often see a lowercase letter in Algorithms. This refers to moving the original face and the layer adjacent with it.

Example: r

That is all you need to know about notation. Now I can get started upon the actual method of solving the cube. It is important to know the notation to the cube so you can properly use the algorithms I will show to you.

If you have anything you want to ask, or if you notice that I missed anything. Please tell me, I'm writing these as I go along.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (isolation #6) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 19, DeathRowKitty wrote:Can you write me a tutorial for this? I downloaded it 2 years ago, then remembered I'm terrible with spatial visualization and promptly gave up on figuring out how the damn thing turned.

Holy frick.

I'm not going to write a tutorial on it, but I will try to solve it. I'm not quite sure how to properly turn it yet. It is pretty frikkin sweet though. Once I learn how to properly turn it, the thing should be really easy.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (isolation #7) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 47, Llamarble wrote:I am not a speedcuber, but am acquainted with 4 different former world record holders (two for 3X3, one for blindfold, one for 7X7) and another person who helped coach Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness.

That is awesome, I've always wanted to meet someone in real life who is faster than me. I know very few speedcubers, and they were only speedcubers because I taught them how to solve. I kinda live in the middle of nowhere.

They always told me that I was ridiculous, but I knew I didn't even touch the boundary of skill. and to go to a competition would be just AWESOME.

Now that I'm into cubing again I would like to go sub 20 averages.

(Tutorial Part 1.1 coming later)

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (isolation #8) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

3x3x3 CFOP Tutorial: Part 1.1

WTF is CFOP?

CFOP stands for, "
C
ross,
F
2L,
O
LL,
P
LL". It is currently the method used by the fastest solvers in the world and by Feliks himself. CFOP is a layer based method. It is extremely useable because of a low move count (Less turns, less time), easy transitions, being able to solve multiple problems at once, applicable to other cubes, and a few other things that I'll dive into.

Let me give you a layout of what a CFOP cube solve chornologically looks like,

Cross: Yellow Cross, sorry I couldn't gray the rest of the cube.
F2L: Then we proceed after the cross up into the second layer.
OLL: After our F2L we would create a solid U face, like the white in this.
PLL:Then all we would have left after OLL is the outer ring on the U face, shown here.

And our Cube is solved.

I'm going to explain the basics of each layer, and then for my next few sections on the tutorial I will go indepth with each part.

Cross: The cross is an entirely intuitive part of the cube. Later on it will become the only intuitve part of the cube, everything else will be entirely memorization, dexterity, and recognition. It is the place where we build our framework for the rest of the cross. It is vital to realize that the centers of each face will never leave their spot. Just the pieces around them. Regular rubik's cube have the color scheme of (Blue across from Green, White across from yellow, Red across from orange) There are techniques used during this part of the cube, but there is no algs for this. However, there is quite a bit skill needed in being able to recognize the right color to start on. In the beginning of your solve, in competition, you have 15 seconds to look at your scrambled cube. If you can make the most out of that 15 seconds then you will have incredible times. I cannot stress enough that you
NEED TO START ON MORE THAN ONE COLOR. DO NOT RESTRICT YOURSELF BY USING ONLY GREEN OR ONLY WHITE OR ANY SINGLE COLOR.
The reason for the above being, when you only use a single color for your cross, then if that color has a bad cross, then you are screwed. If you are able to use any color, then you can get a nice cross and a nice cross time. It is called being Color neutral, and if you don't learn you that you need it when you start, then it is incredibly difficult to change later. There are very few reasons why you would actually want to be a single color oriented, but the advantages of being Color neutral outweigh them. It is funny because even though the cross is extremely important, it eventually will drop down to a perfect level of 2 second crosses. Or even lower. I am currently at 2 second crosses. I am also color neutral (Even though I was uninformed color nuetrality was important. Luckily for you, I told you now.)

F2L: The F2L is composed of Four slots, after your cross your edges of your cross will connect with the center of each face, creating 4 open corner and edge pieces on the first two layers, and the entire U face should be randomized. There are two ways of solving this part and I will go in depth with both. One is intuitve and one is not. However, I recommend learning the intuitve first, because even though it is slower at first, you udnerstand what you are doing. There are only 3 algs for the intuitve. There are 42 for the other. Those 3 algs do the exact same thing as the 42. Once your first two layers are complete, you are ready to move onto OLL.

OLL: OLL stands for Orientation of the Last Layer. This refers to the stickers on top of the U face, it creates a solid color on top. The way that OLL is solved is through algorithms that you will have to learn.
However, in this tutorial, I will show you a 2 step method to solving OLL using only 7 simple algs (2-Look OLL). Most people don't learn Full OLL until after they have learned everything else. I still do not know full OLL. Working on it though.

PLL: PLL stands for Permutation of Last Layer> After OLL all you have is the side of the U face, there are 21 algorithms for this layer. However, like OLL, PLL has a 2 look method too. I personally skipped 2 look and learned all 21 algs. However, I will start out with the 2 Look PLL algs and then continue them into all 21. Note: PLL have specific Permutations with names. They have letters. Such as the J-Perm or the U-Perm.

CFOP is a great method. It is the most used method by speedcubers. However, there is no such thing as a fastest method, the speedcuber themselves define the speed that they go. I guarantee you that you will be satisfied with your times if you listen and perform CFOP properly.

I will also note that many of you can easily surpass me in speed. All you need is practice. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thank you for reading, again I am just writing these as I go along, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Next installment will get us rolling on actually solving the cube. Thanks again.
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (isolation #9) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

If you are determined to solve it only once. Heck, go with Dan Brown. If you are determined to solve it below 30 seconds, then go with CFOP.

CFOP isn't particularly easy from the get go, especially if you don't know what you are doing and have never solved before, but I guarantee it is worth your time if you wish to be fast.

Not only that but you have to factor in the fact I've never written a guide for solving the cube. I can teach a person if they are right in front of me, and I've taught quite a few.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (isolation #10) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

noraaa wrote:I've fiddled with them before, but I can't solve them. (yet?) Someone I used to date liked them, so I kept one around for him, and would scramble it up. I also knew someone (not closely) who was really into solving different sizes of cubes and if I recall he might have even made one of his own. You can do that, right?

Yeah you can do that. It isn't really super common, but people like the cube for different reasons, maybe he liked the cube for design.

Got a decent solve on camera. Pretty crappy quality.

Should have been sub-20. But the camera kinda made me a bit jittery.

That is what me solving a cube looks like.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (isolation #11) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Look, it is a very easy thing to do. You just have to erase the idea it is impossible. It was impossible when you were 8, but you can easily comprehend it now.

Also, I get the same frikkin answers all the time

-I could never solve it in like 2 years
-I know a guy who does it in like 2 seconds
-I have one at home but you couldn't do it because I've been scrambling it for years
-You must sit at home and constantly do it
-Are you a genius?
-
I can only get one side (The amount of these beats the rest by infinity)

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (isolation #12) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Honestly, you can get a nice minx online, for not that ridiculous of pricing either.

Also, if your interested in a little more mobile yet still quite challenging puzzle, try the Square -1.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (isolation #13) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 81, VisMaior wrote:Also, maybe you should do a writeup for beginners, who dont want to speedcube, just solve the damn thing for once.

Ill do that myself, if its ok to you.

Of course, have at it.

I'm no leader here, I just love this hobby.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (isolation #14) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:01 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Vis, I read the majority of your guide. Your guide was good except I think your images were a little confusing.

I would like to point out that once you complete your first layer, you should just flip the cube around and have your cross layer on the bottom. It makes it way easier to see what you are doing and thus easier to recognize the cases.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (isolation #15) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:11 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

3x3x3 CFOP Tutorial: Part 1.2

The Cross

Note: I use alg.garrron.us a lot to display my actions. It is a player, so you can just press play and watch it unfold. You can slow the speed of the turns if it gets a little fast. It is a great visual for this guide. You can also drag and turn the cube

The cross is the first part of our four step process known as CFOP. It is an entirely intuitive step. Meaning that it is the only part that you solve, and not algorithms. Because of this, it isn't very easy to "teach" you how to solve it, I can simply explain to you what you have to do and what to look for. Giving tips and whatnot.

The cross looks a little like this,

Just pretend the bottom two layers are scrambled lol

Now, there are a few concepts that are important to know.

1. Color Choice: As I stated before, the color you choose in the beginning is vital, I'll explain to you what yoiu should look for in each color but I cannot stress enough how important it is that you do not start with the same color over and over. It makes for really bad times. Do future you a favor and be color neutral.

2. You need to not view the cube as in "Sides". When people say, "I can only get one side", they don't understand that they actually aren't doing anything. They just connected all the colors on one face, but the actual side itself is not solved.

Not solved "side"
Solved "side"

This is a color based puzzle, so you actually have to have colors orient.

3. Screwing up what you already have. This mostly goes for the F2L(Which the cross is technically part of) Pay attention. Don't do moves that screw up what you have already done, otherwise you'll just be going nowhere. The algs given to you usually are commutators, or algs that break the cube, do something even more to the cube, than fix the cube again. Watch what you are actually doing.

Alright, lets get started.

If you are following along with a cube, then for now, just pick a color. I obviously can't see the state of your cube and can't tell you what is the best and if you are reading this then you can't either. So just pick a color.

I'm going to scramble a cube in the alg generator and then solve the cross and explain it.

Lets start red.

Alright, this is what it'll look like when it is done. it is important to show you this beforehand so you understand what your goal is for each cubie.

Bam.

Notice the the edges of the cross correspond with their individual side colors. This is important because we aren't able to change the center pieces. So our cubies have to align now or they never will.

Lets go back and I'll explain what I did.

Back to the start

Alright, so what I see in the above link is a single red edge already connected to red center. Which means that this piece is already done. I also see a Red/Blue edge by the red center. That red edge can easily fit by the red white through a simple F'. Like so.

Here we are.

Alright, now the corner was not planned, that was simply a bonus. We don't care about it right now though, whether it makes it to the next part or not doesn't really matter. We are focused on our cross.

Now we need to align the edges of the cross to their corresponding colors, because right now blue is touching green and white is touching yellow. But before we do that, we also see a red/green piece. However, we can't fit it into anything yet. But keep in mind that Blue is across from green. So we want the red/green edge on the opposite side of the cross from red/blue.

What I would do is this,

I would turn the top face and then bring the green up so that it is across from the blue

Now, we have only one part left on our cross. It is the red/yellow. The red/yellow is currently facing down in the D face. Which is perfect because we can just align it by a simple B2.

Like so,

Sweet!

Alright, all we have left to do is align the cross to each individual color.

A simple U turn should suffice.

Cross is done!

Well that is the cross. You will be able to handle it with practice.

Right now if you are following along what I recommend is to just solve the cross over and over until you can do it no problem. Don't even worry about the rest of the cube, just solve a random cross, then scramble and go again. It will improve your knowledge of this step.

So that is the cross, practice. Live it. Love it. It is the foundation of your solve. Just keep practicing crosses and you'll get the hang of it. Thanks for reading, any questions feel free to ask.
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (isolation #16) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 90, Junpei wrote:Could you put all the links to these guides in the OP?

Also have you gotten anywhere on the 4d puzzle yet robo? I haven't spent time on it yet.

Yeah sure I can do that. Question: Do you know how to solve 3x3? I'm unclear of what you actually know.

No I haven't gotten anywhere because I haven't spent anytime on it yet. I might never get around to it, but if I'm super bored and I remember I'll go through it.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (isolation #17) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:27 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Yeah after 3x3 is done, I'll move on to 4x4 and 5x5. Probably Pyraminx and 2x2 as well.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (isolation #18) » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:34 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Did some timed solves with my 5x5 to see how fast I go. Set a current record of 4:21.31. I'll continue to work on improving it.

Also, the timer I use is here,

http://mzrg.com/qqtimer/

It has all the different puzzles and it shows proper cube averages. It is pretty frikkin sweet.

EDIT: Also I solved the cube I used in the cross demonstration. Link

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #59 (isolation #19) » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

F2L is pretty ridiculously large to explain. (Which makes sense because it is the biggest part of the solve.)

So I can't finish it tonight. It'll be up soon though. I'm not even aware if anybody in this thread is actually following it.

noraaa wrote:Yeah, thread looks way better.

So I scrambled up a cube. Then I got the white side (that dude said people start with white so why not) mostly faced but the edges are not with the right side and I don't know how to eghkldjasfklas I'll worry about it tomorrow.

He said the majority of people choose white, not that you should. I can't emphasize enough the importance of not wrapping yourself in specific colors.

Also, if you ever have a problem you can't explain. just post a picture of it or visualize it somehow and somebody will help you.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (isolation #20) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Was going to work on the F2L guide and I will get around to it. But I don't think anybody is following it, so it doesn't really affect anyone by it being late.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (isolation #21) » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

I was working on some Blindfolded Solves yesterday.

However I'm creating my own method of memorization. It'll probably be through the use of letters and numbers.

The actual solve is done via Pochmann.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #70 (isolation #22) » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 68, Wafflecopter wrote:I've cubed for a few years now.

I generally use a 4 look-last-layer, haven't bothered with OLL/PLL/Petrus due to time constraints. Gotten my best time down to sub-40, but thats about the limit with my methods.

I can do a 5x5 unless I get parity on the inside edges. I still have algorithms for those 2 cases. Ugh.

I don't believe that is close to the limit for that method.

I've gotten 25 second Dan Brown method solves.

The way i solve my inner edges for the 5x5 allows me to only ever get the parity like this

O --- X
X --- O
X --- O

It is slightly slower but it allows me to only have to know one new alg to solve the 5x5.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #71 (isolation #23) » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Also I made a Memo method for the 3x3.

Working in a clockwise motion around each face for the corners and counterclockwise for the edges.

It starts at the U-Face, then F, R, B, L, D

Keeping the same patterns for each face.

Edge memos are letters and corners are numbers.

The edge memos are easier if memorized in groups of 3/4 depending on whether they make a word or acronym.
The corners are pretty simple because there aren't a lot of them.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #73 (isolation #24) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:05 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 72, Scigatt wrote:
In post 69, Psyche wrote:My dad stepped on my only Rubix Cube. It was worth seeing how those things are built such that squares can be moved so flexibly.

I can solve a 3x3, but not particularly quickly at all..
That's why I suggest you learn how to properly cheat at the cube. It's definitely worth it, especially if you become serious about it.

@Everyone:What is you dominant cubing hand(the hand you make the most turns with)? If you OH, what hand do you use?

I'm normally right-handed, but when I started learning the cube my left hand ended up making most of the turns. This was fortuitous when it came to OH as I didn't have to choose between using my stronger hand and using familiar algs, so I used my right hand.

@Robocopter87: Any advice on switching over to colour-neutrality from having a preferred colour?

I am right handed for 2H and left handed for OH. I feel I have a very more precise and accurate and a lot more control over my left hand when I OH.

Depends on how far you are in to the preferred color. The best way to be color neutral is to start neutral. However, really if you wanna switch then your best bet is just to go cold turkey and switch. You'll have slower times at first but it pays off.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (isolation #25) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 10, DeathRowKitty wrote:Can you write me a tutorial for this? I downloaded it 2 years ago, then remembered I'm terrible with spatial visualization and promptly gave up on figuring out how the damn thing turned.

I've looked into this (finally) and realized that solving this thing is out of my reach.

Figuring it out would be a smashing success for me. Doing it twice would be a miracle. Teaching others how to solve it would be unspeakable.

Could I solve it? yes, I believe I could given enough time and effort. Do I want to? Yes and no. yes it would be cool, no it would be way too much time.

So all in all, I forfeit.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (isolation #26) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Adding on to that, the problem is not the turning. That much I have figured out. though confusing they are actually quite reasonable.

The problem being that I don't understand 4th dimension. Such as why red keeps appearing when red is not one of the colors of the cube.

It is too much for a 12:30AM endeavor.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (isolation #27) » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

For the Megaminx I gotta ask what methods of 3x3 solving you already know. From there I should be able to show you how you can properly solve that last layer.

V cubes are really nice. And I personally have only solved up to 5x5. But simply applying 4x4 and 5x5 methods should work.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (isolation #28) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:45 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 80, Scigatt wrote:
In post 75, Robocopter87 wrote:Adding on to that, the problem is not the turning. That much I have figured out. though confusing they are actually quite reasonable.

The problem being that I don't understand 4th dimension. Such as why red keeps appearing when red is not one of the colors of the cube.

It is too much for a 12:30AM endeavor.
It is one of the colours of the cube. What you see there is kinda like what you see with a Rubik's cube lying on a table: You can't see the 'bottom' face.

I don't understand...

I am fully capable of turning the cube, and I've turned and spun it. I still see no red. It simply isn't on the cube. The I spin it and red is suddenly on the cube. Unless this has something to do with 4d, then I am very confused.

Jun wrote:I first do the f2l, oll, and then pll. I don't know all of the algorithms, but I know enough of them to consistently get the job done. Not breaking any speed records over here, that's for sure. I'm sub 60 seconds on a good run.

Well the reason I asked was because CFOP doesn't work on a megaminx unless you expand your algs. It is a huge alg base for the last layer on the megaminx if you use CFOP.

I use regular F2L until i hit the last layer, and since I originally started cubing with Dan Brown on youtube, his last layer method actually can be applied to the megaminx.

Is it fast? No. Is it successful? Everytime.

Zaicon wrote:Hey, Robocopter. What cube brands do you mainly use (for 3x3)?

I am the proud owner of a Lubix Fusion, White, Fluorescent stickers with purple replacing yellow (Yellow is ugly).

This baby is the master of masters. Only second to the rather expensive Elite. Actually I do not fully know the market but when I acquired this cube it was the second best in the world. And it shows.

I began with Rubik's brands, which are pretty crappy in quality. However the actual quality range from cube to cube is significantly different. One cube you buy out of the box would take a lot of force to turn while others were actually quite smooth.

Using Rubik's I got down to 30 second solves, using the original method. Pretty much the limit for what I was using and the method.

I bought a Zhanchi and everything just changed. I dropped below 30 but I knew I needed CFOP, so I began to learn CFOP.

Somewhere during me learning CFOP I bought my Fusion and its been my cube ever since.

As for other sizes of cubes:

Megaminx: Mf8
Pyraminx: QJ
5x5: ShengShou
4x4: ShengShou
2x2: Type C WitTwo
Around 4 Magics, being the different 4 kinds. (Dont remember the names)
I also had a lucky find and acquired a Rubik's Missing Link (w/instruction manual)
Alexander's Star
Some sq-1

Lots of doubles though, all Rubiks brand.

So yeah thats what I have.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (isolation #29) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Well he won some award for best teaching video or something.

It is a terrible way to solve the 3x3 but it is really easy to learn. And can be easily applied to Megaminx.

I personally wish I could go to some tournaments but I haven't been able to get to any. When I get my license I'll be sure to go to one.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (isolation #30) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:57 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Holy frick. This man is the current world record holder.

You have one hour. As many cubes as you feel like. And then you get to memo as long as you like and solve as long as you like.

Though unofficial, this beats his WR and he will most likely be able to do it in competition.

His current WR is 26/29 in 53.01

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (isolation #31) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Nice collection, what do you average?

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (isolation #32) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

I just want a sub20 Ao5

That is my current goal. Then Ao12.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (isolation #33) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Sweet baby jesus.

You wanna help me figure it out?

I don't know where to begin, I'm think possibly go from the ground up. I think it might be a good place to start just to apply cfop to it.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (isolation #34) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Every time I begin to get a grip on this thing I get too tired to do stuff.

This is all DRK's fault.

But I will figure this thing out. And solve it at least once.

While I'm here might as well write this down.

Colors on this thing:

Brown, Red, Purple, Yellow, Dark Blue, light blue, Mediumish blue, Green

Two of which aren't actually visible apparently.

This is going to be fun.

EDIT: Just got one of those 2:30 epiphany things. I understand the 8th face and how it interacts and spins with the rest of the cube. It makes this whole thing so much easier. But I'm going to go to bed. I'll work on actually solving it some other time. I'm just glad I can turn it.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #93 (isolation #35) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Alright, I can do everything but Slices. I don't know how to do them. Anybody have anything on that?

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (isolation #36) » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

I think what helped me most was typing tesseract into google images.

because this,

Explained everything.

Also, I was taking a look at the names of the solvers and saw a name on there that I know. I think it might be possible to get a hold of him. His name is Dan Cohen. He is pretty active on another site devoted entirely to cubing.

When I'm back on my computer I'll see if I can contact him.

Scigatt wrote:
In post 93, Robocopter87 wrote:Alright, I can do everything but Slices. I don't know how to do them. Anybody have anything on that?
From what I gathered from the short time I spent playing it, the only way is the long way.

Dang! Well that isnt too much work.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (isolation #37) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Oh yeah! Of course I remember you.

Mafia is super fun, and when I took my hiatus from here I went to speedsolving for a while. Then I left there and came back here.

I'm trying to hit sub 20 but I just can't throw myself over.

Thinking about learning full OLL.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (isolation #38) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

Haha I believe you. I didn't question it for a second. Why would I?

I used to know it with exception of like the 6 little "l"s. But I took a break from serious cubing. Gonna have to go through and remember them all.

If you wanna continue the tutorial then go for it. If you see anything that is wrong then just say the word.

Forum Mafia is a little different in that it is way more indepth than face to face. Also the deadlines are much longer, Newbies themselves have 3 week deadlines. With 3 day nights depending on your mod.

(Right after I said I was trying for a sub 20 I got an almost sub 20 Ao5 and blew the last solve due to nerves.)

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (isolation #39) » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

In post 101, combinatorialEnigma wrote:
We all know that "annoying guy on Speedsolving" is a common fake claim.

*is shot for how bad that joke was*

That joke was just awful :P

combinatorialEnigma wrote:
Eh, it looks good, and I'm not sure I feel motivated enough to continue it. I'm pretty swamped with college stuff at the moment...

Yeah I never finished it. I don't think that people here really care, and if they do there is so many places to find info on it that it isn't really worth the time to make.

combinatorialEnigma wrote:Yeah, I'd gathered that by reading through the threads here. I've /in'd to my first newbie game. We'll see how it goes. :)

You should do absolutely fine.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #103 (isolation #40) » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:14 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Also, how is speedsolving? I really liked the amount of information there, but I found the moderation to be quite off.

On MS you get offtopic comments all the time and nobody cares. But there if your comment is even slightly off topic they'll delete it and give you a warning.

It isn't always so extreme as that but it still was a little harsh.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #105 (isolation #41) » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

I always liked Brest.

Eh I just kinda quit on and off. Every time I come back though I get faster.

Got a list of OLL algs I don't know. About 36.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #110 (isolation #42) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Hey man, this isn't the place to be hating on speedsolving mods.

The truth of the matter is that they run a strict site, and that doesn't make them terrible.

They make some weird decisions, but all mods do.

All in all, if you don't like them then just don't deal with them.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (isolation #43) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

With you: Yes the moderation makes having fun a hard thing to do, and fun is fun

Against you: They aren't really there to have fun they are there to solve.

I personally am going with the first one, seeing as I don't go there anymore.

Return to “The Arcade”