Dance of the Title Fairy: ORCA's Greatest Hits

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #1200 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

I was agreeing with you, KK, I guess I just worded it awkwardly.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

drmyshotgun
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1201 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Post by drmyshotgun »

And N, I think your posts here are pretty low.
My GTKAS!
100% Win Rate in Micro: 10 Games!!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1202 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Post by quadz08 »

kdowns speaks the words of truth.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1203 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Post by Tierce »

Different eras, different standards. The earlier titles are not comparable because policies and perception have changed since; that is a non-argument.

Om, if I may speak frankly, yes, there were others who nominated you first, but the way you are
actively campaigning
for this is a bit off-putting. I understand that you would like a title and that you believe this is something remarkable and which sets you apart from others--but when looking closer, you are asking for a title that:
  1. rewards a behavior that we would rather not encourage (spamming in games);
  2. remarks on you catching spam bots. Yes, it helps keep the site clean from recent spam posts, but it would hardly be a noticeable action without those lists--and the lists themselves did not really serve a useful purpose; you say that they got chamber to "do something", yet in truth there was no actual benefit in him doing anything, as the accounts were long abandoned and it was unlikely someone would stumble upon them.
No one is arguing that you will stop bringing up spambots after this. But it is really starting to look like you're in it for the brownie points, however good your initial intentions may be. Spotting spambots and letting the mods know is not something that sets you apart from the community and makes people go "yep, that's Om of the Nom and no one else does the same".

The Title Fairy Policy is a policy, not rules set in stone, but try not to force it. It's the kind of thing that is going to be associated with bad memories if you hammer on it repeatedly. There are members who have been around for years without a title, and they are no less well-regarded by the community for it. You don't need to fight for your title.

In post 1171, singersigner wrote:or even Tierce getting one before the "eligible" date because of the caching she did for the site
For the record, I brought my sign-up date to Oman's attention. I will openly admit that I was touched by Faraday/Vi's nomination and the overwhelming support it received, and it was nice seeing that people saw my work as a distinguishing feature, but I did not consider a title something I "deserved" for my efforts, as I was not out for a public reward from the get-go (restoring all that information was the sole "reward" I was aiming for, mostly because I obsess over lost knowledge/data). I really don't want people to think that I get special treatment or that I think I deserve it.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1204 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Post by Tierce »

In other news, I am tempted to suggest something with a Horde/Hoard pun for KK to replace Khan Man. As scum, he is a good strategist for the team, and that Best Serial Killer Scummy he's sporting is from zoraster's pets uPick, where his role was an animal hoarder. It's also a (not so) subtle reference to the Mongol Empire's dimensions. "
Lord of the Golden Hoard
", perhaps?
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #1205 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:55 am

Post by UberNinja »

Seems long. Take out "Golden" maybe.
Lord of the Hoard
rolls off the tongue much better. But it doesn't really make sense as the "Hoard" vice "Horde" seems forced.
Lord of the Horde
is probably the best permutation readily evident. But with all that said, I don't think Khan needs a new title anyway.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1206 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:07 am

Post by zoraster »

Serious question: does anyone know how many new titles have been approved since the crash? I count exactly one, Amrun's. But it's possible some have been changed without Oman mentioning it. At one point he mentioned four or five had potential but I dont' think those were approved.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #1207 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:38 am

Post by singersigner »

In post 1251, Tierce wrote:
In post 1171, singersigner wrote:or even Tierce getting one before the "eligible" date because of the caching she did for the site
For the record, I brought my sign-up date to Oman's attention. I will openly admit that I was touched by Faraday/Vi's nomination and the overwhelming support it received, and it was nice seeing that people saw my work as a distinguishing feature, but I did not consider a title something I "deserved" for my efforts, as I was not out for a public reward from the get-go (restoring all that information was the sole "reward" I was aiming for, mostly because I obsess over lost knowledge/data). I really don't want people to think that I get special treatment or that I think I deserve it.

Er, that's not the point I was making at all...

While it seemed weird that you were the only one rewarded simply because of the volume of work you did (since you weren't the only one to do so much recovery work), I was only giving an example of how
people can be distinguished/stand out because of one thing
, even to the extent that an exception was made for you (not to say that you asked for it at all or that was the reason).

That's all I meant. <3
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1208 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:41 am

Post by Faraday »

Rewarding for the volume in a case like caching seems fine, actually? + there was a proposed Feysal title that never went through for whatever reason. (I think he didn't like one of them?)

In post 1252, Tierce wrote:In other news, I am tempted to suggest something with a Horde/Hoard pun for KK to replace Khan Man. As scum, he is a good strategist for the team, and that Best Serial Killer Scummy he's sporting is from zoraster's pets uPick, where his role was an animal hoarder. It's also a (not so) subtle reference to the Mongol Empire's dimensions. "
Lord of the Golden Hoard
", perhaps?

His current title is much cooler. (I mean claiming miller before the cop who got a guilty on you night 0 can post is pretty super)

Om's 'But it can reference my posting' is annoying. The more he posts here the more I dislike the title :?
Last edited by Faraday on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1209 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:49 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't think we should be shy in offering new titles for people. But on the other hand, if we're really only going to approve 1 new title every 6 months, I guess that's not the best use of time.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1210 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 am

Post by Faraday »

Edited my above but it's more so I like his current title better. I am not opposed to a 'new title' if something cool/interesting comes up. (Though Fate's change from :HAPPY: to Capital Punishment was a bad one :( )
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1211 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 1252, Tierce wrote:In other news, I am tempted to suggest something with a Horde/Hoard pun for KK to replace Khan Man. As scum, he is a good strategist for the team, and that Best Serial Killer Scummy he's sporting is from zoraster's pets uPick, where his role was an animal hoarder. It's also a (not so) subtle reference to the Mongol Empire's dimensions. "
Lord of the Golden Hoard
", perhaps?

I'd prefer "
Horde House
"
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1212 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Post by DrippingGoofball »

For OmNom, I prefer

Mafia Spam

It's just changing two letters over his current title.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1213 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 1259, kuribo wrote:
Lord of the Golden Hoard
", perhaps?

I'd prefer "
Horde House
"

That makes it sound like he's got 35 cats and wall to ceiling cardboard boxes.
DeltaWave
DeltaWave
she/her/hers
Mafia Scum
DeltaWave
she/her/hers
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her/hers

Post Post #1214 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Post by DeltaWave »

How about
"Whore Master?"
When there's trouble, you call DW.

"For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect."
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1215 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:57 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 1261, zoraster wrote:
In post 1259, kuribo wrote:
Lord of the Golden Hoard
", perhaps?

I'd prefer "
Horde House
"

That makes it sound like he's got 35 cats and wall to ceiling cardboard boxes.

I will never, ever, ever be able to unsee this mental image of KK.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
killerjester
killerjester
Mafia Scum
killerjester
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1216 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 am

Post by killerjester »

In post 1262, DeltaWave wrote:How about
"Whore Master?"

2nd
Lord of Lynch protect us. For the Night is dark and full of scum.

Noir Mafia, a 13p bastard Mini Theme delayed until further notice.
nhammen
nhammen
Mafia Scum
nhammen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1217 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Post by nhammen »

In post 1213, Flameaxe wrote:
In post 1207, UberNinja wrote:Om isn't trying to force it down our throats. There are a lot of people that like it.

These two statements are 100% exclusive, and I respectfully disagree with you and Flay on the matter. Being first or last in a title discussion doesn't make a difference. At least 90% of his posts (random number!) on the last few pages feel like they come from a campaigning standpoint and thats it. Overstating, sure. Complete exaggeration? Hardly.

(on an unrelated note: I don't think there is an official rule for having names in titles. See UA's title.)

Ummm... it might have something to do with the fact that there were precisely 3 titles discussed over those pages. And one was only discussed as saying what happened to this title. So... what else were you expecting? Do people have to stay out of any discussion propsing a title for them?

Of course, his posts after this post of yours do somewhat dull my point. It seems Om needs to learn how to give up an argument, rather than repeatedly defending that his spam assassinations were useful whenever anybody even hinted at disagreement.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1218 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:58 am

Post by Umbrage »

Nth Gold Star

waaaaaay better than spamwow
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1219 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

My wife made an "except when he does" comment this weekend and all I could think about was pie... >_>

nth gold star
much more appropriate for om, giving his aparent need for recognition and validation. [link removed]

I don't really post here much because for almost every nom, some are gonna love it, some are gonna hate it, and its probably never going through anyways. Not much of a point in discussing titles or nomming titles when nothing ever really happens.
Last edited by Rhinox on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #1220 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 1267, Rhinox wrote:
nth gold star
much more appropriate for om, giving his aparent need for recognition and validation. link

nth
because duh. that's a great connection

In post 1267, Rhinox wrote:Not much of a point in discussing titles or nomming titles when nothing ever really happens.

:neutral:
Isa
Isa
Mafia Scum
Isa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1221 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 am

Post by Isa »

In post 1267, Rhinox wrote:nth gold star much more appropriate for om, giving his aparent need for recognition and validation. link

avast! says that link had a Trojan horse.
Lär Känna En Isa

(Bork bork, motherfucker.)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1222 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:57 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 1269, Isa wrote:
In post 1267, Rhinox wrote:nth gold star much more appropriate for om, giving his aparent need for recognition and validation. link

avast! says that link had a Trojan horse.

hmm.. :neutral: removed the link from my post to be safe. I didn't get any warnings from my work computer, and they've got our browsing limited to the point where I figured if I could acces it, it'd be safe.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #1223 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:42 am

Post by UberNinja »

It was just a video and avast is prob just being stupid. Link is still available in 1268, don't click if you're paranoid tho
redFF
redFF
Mafia Scum
redFF
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1224 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am

Post by redFF »

Nth gold star that's hilarious.

Return to “Player Titles”