Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:47 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Jesus. Sounds complicated.
green shirt thursdays
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:53 am

Post by gorckat »

Don't let my disdain for the company that I sunk a couple hudnred high school bucks into for nothing because they released a revised sourcebook for my army and discontinued half my models and I wasn't allowed to use them in games come through too strong :D

It's really not complicated- the core mechanic GW uses (iirc: roll a d6, add a stat, 7 or higher = success) makes it play easy.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:05 am

Post by Zorblag »

If you want to try blood bowl electronically you can do so with for $8 right now from amazon for the digital download of the legendary edition: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Bowl-Legend ... blood+bowl

Troll easily got far more than $8 of entertainment from the game with solo play and there be some here who would play online. That might be the easiest way to become familiar with the rules (just play on the classic setting and Troll thinks it be pretty close to what you would do with the physical version.)

There be another version coming out before too long if Troll's memory serves which will add a couple extra races, but the legendary edition already has many many options.

There also be strategy/tactic guides online which might be handy for reading. Sudo_Nym recommends http://bbtactics.com/ which Troll has found to be handy; there be lots of others out there though.

Past that Troll will keep the blood bowl talk out of this thread as we've mostly done electronic stuff with it rather than physical gaming with it here so far as Troll be aware.

@gorckat, how much do you personally know about DreadBall? The kickstarter looks fascinating but Troll be slightly leery of games with minatures in general just because of the bother of collecting/keeping up with rules changes and what not.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am

Post by gorckat »

In post 252, Zorblag wrote:@gorckat, how much do you personally know about DreadBall? The kickstarter looks fascinating but Troll be slightly leery of games with minatures in general just because of the bother of collecting/keeping up with rules changes and what not.

Not a lot. I just saw it linked on No High Scores today.

The guys doing it are local to Baltimore, and its possible they worked for Games Workshop. One of the guys mentions working with model sculptors and GW is right up the street from their Halethorpe address (Halethorpe is just outside Baltimore and the stomping grounds I was a high school wanna be miscreant in).

Actually, a little Googling says Ronnie was the GW Global Marketing Director at some point.

ADD: One of the guys on their team, McVey, had done minis for GW and WotC, as well.

ADD2: the other two guys on the team also have GW and other design credentials. Whole team looks solid.

ADD3: And much more at one of the guys blogs about rules: http://quirkworthy.com/
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Blood Bowl is pretty awesome. The basic concept is that an NFL rule book fell through a dimensional portal to the Warhammer universe, and the people there thought that NFL was a god who was commanding them to play this game, except they replaced all the parts they couldn't understand with violence.

Like the Troll says, BB Tactics is a fantastic resource for both getting a flavor of the game, and getting good strategy tips. The official rule book is available online from Games Workshop, as well. Blood Bowl Legendary Edition is available cheap on Steam; The Chaos Edition is supposed to be coming out soon, and is said to include the Demons of Khorne and Chaos Dwarves teams; I think rumors were that Hobgoblins and Underworld were being included, too, but I haven't checked in a while. Legendary Edition already contains all the "official" GW teams except the Chaos Dwarves, and there's a reasonable player base for it. We could even try firing up the MS league again, if there's interest.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

The electronic version is $40. Is there a cheaper way to play the game and get started?
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Holy shit, it is 40 bucks. That's pretty ridiculous. Couldn't tell you why. Blood Bowl is available online; there's a program called FUMBL or something like that for Blood Bowl, but you'd have to google it.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, anyone familiar with Twilight Struggle? I'm trying to gauge it, since it's listed as #1 on BoardGameGeek, and seems really interesting, but I can't seem to find anyone around here who plays it. So I'm kinda looking for somebody willing to play a game of it with me online, or I could even mod a game between two other people on the forums, just to get a view of how the game unfolds. Kind of an odd request, I know, but it's better than spending cash blindly...
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Twilight Struggle is my favorite game ever. I haven't played it online. Would be willing to play if you modded, but don't feel like learning VASSAL right now.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Post by Xalxe »

Shameless bump, but at least it's a relevant bump.

Looking for some new games because goddammit I need new games. Preferrably stuff that's easy to teach my parents and/or my friends who I'm living with next year, so nothing too crazy. Suggestions?
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Post by Shmugen »

7 Wonders has become the modern day gateway game, replacing Catan. It's simple enough to teach, easy to learn and deep enough that it doesn't wear out too fast. If you're living with folks, Descent 2nd Edition might tickle your fancy, if you're ticklish that way.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 260, Shmugen wrote:7 Wonders has become the modern day gateway game, replacing Catan.
I can vouch for this.
(That and I'm told Catan is less interesting.)
Of the board games I've been introduced to 7 Wonders is probably still my favorite. The major problem is that you have to spend your first five games asking "so what does THIS symbol do again". :P
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Post by Shmugen »

It takes a bit, and the expansions add so much that I refuse to go back to not using them, but it's a good one. If even Vi can like it, you know you have a winner.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Post by zoraster »

I think 7 wonders is okay. I've never thought much of catan, honestly. Ticket to Ride has always seemed a far superior gateway game.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Post by Shmugen »

It never really pulled me in, plus it leads you down the path to becoming a Train Game person.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Post by zoraster »

not really. It's not like I've ever said to myself, "gosh. I'd like to play Steam now that I've played TTR"
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ticket to Ride is endlessly boring to me.
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Post by zoraster »

you're endlessly boring
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Post by Shmugen »

The concept of Train Game people has turned me against them instinctively. My local store has an entire wall of 18xx games/train games.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

The best gateway board games are Kingsburg for competitive and Space Alert for co-op.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Post by zoraster »

ew.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Post by Shmugen »

Space Alert is insanity in a box.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think the base TtR is good as a gateway, but the 1912 expansion is awesome for actual competitive play.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 262, Shmugen wrote:It takes a bit, and the expansions add so much that I refuse to go back to not using them, but it's a good one. If even Vi can like it, you know you have a winner.

I wasn't a huge fan of the one game of Leaders I played. It didn't really seem to add that much.
In post 271, Shmugen wrote:Space Alert is insanity in a box.

I tried it once, but it was way too loud to tell what was happening, and the person whose phone the mission app was on had an important phone call halfway through, so momentum was killed. It seemed like a fun game, just bad circumstances.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Never heard of Space Alert.

I think my biggest problem with Ticket to Ride comes from downtime. You only do one thing, really, on your turn... so turns go by quick, but downtime takes a long ass time. Putting down the train pieces, flipping and shuffling new cards, waiting for people to select tickets... there's just not a lot of constant shit to be paying attention to. You know where you're going to put down your train, so I always feel like my turn comes and goes and then there's this massive amount of time in between where nothing interesting happens.
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”