Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Post by zoraster »

i dunno. never seemed a problem to me as long as the people you're playing with don't have AP.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Post by Shmugen »

The main thing Leaders does is deepen the strategy. I begin to consider trick plays, the order in which I play my leaders, etc. It also makes an economy build viable.

As for Space Alert, Erin has it (big surprise) and it is loud and hectic and a rush. Not the kind of thing to play in a library.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Post by Chevre »

saw my local WalMart had Settlers of Catan, was pretty excited

looked closer, realized it was Catan Gallery Edition, which is close but not the same

Disappointed
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 274, xRECKONERx wrote:Never heard of Space Alert.

I think my biggest problem with Ticket to Ride comes from downtime. You only do one thing, really, on your turn... so turns go by quick, but downtime takes a long ass time. Putting down the train pieces, flipping and shuffling new cards, waiting for people to select tickets... there's just not a lot of constant shit to be paying attention to. You know where you're going to put down your train, so I always feel like my turn comes and goes and then there's this massive amount of time in between where nothing interesting happens.

I haven't actually played it, but it does seem like that kind of game. You really need people to be moving along quickly for games with those sorts of turns

In post 276, Shmugen wrote:The main thing Leaders does is deepen the strategy. I begin to consider trick plays, the order in which I play my leaders, etc. It also makes an economy build viable.

As for Space Alert, Erin has it (big surprise) and it is loud and hectic and a rush. Not the kind of thing to play in a library.

I may have to play 7 Wonders again with Leaders, I just think it's really good vanilla and feel like adding stuff makes it annoying more than fun, the way I felt Cities & Knights did for Catan, back when I still enjoyed Catan.

Space Alert wasn't played in a library, but it was played at board game club and everyone else was being really loud and we couldn't hear anything. Playing on our own would work I think, but not when there are 20 people in the room.

Also, Eminent Domain is fun.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Post by Shmugen »

Played it, wasn't deep enough by a long shot. You could go colonial, you could go military, you could supplement with tech. Anything else seemed doomed to fail.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm looking at Dominant Species as my next purchase. Anyone familiar?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Post by Shmugen »

Intimately. It's one of my favorites. Tell me about your gaming group.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Some of us are hardcore, others aren't. Most commonly played games are Race for the Galaxy and Power Grid.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Post by Shmugen »

If they play Power Grid, Dominant Species shouldn't be too big of a step up. What did you want to know?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

How good is it, how is the game play, can it be played with <6?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 279, Shmugen wrote:Played it, wasn't deep enough by a long shot. You could go colonial, you could go military, you could supplement with tech. Anything else seemed doomed to fail.

Really doesn't seem that much less deep than any other deckbuilder. Deckbuilders as a whole tend to have pretty clear paths to victory, I think. Also, the game I played of it was more of a "go tech and supplement with military" for the winner as opposed to "go military and supplement with tech"
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:10 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

I think my biggest problem with Ticket to Ride comes from downtime. You only do one thing, really, on your turn... so turns go by quick, but downtime takes a long ass time. Putting down the train pieces, flipping and shuffling new cards, waiting for people to select tickets... there's just not a lot of constant shit to be paying attention to. You know where you're going to put down your train, so I always feel like my turn comes and goes and then there's this massive amount of time in between where nothing interesting happens.

Sounds more like a problem with your friends than the game; because things flow quickly around here unless Vi is playing in which case you get the equally fun scenario of everyone plays quickly into Vi's turn; everyone makes fun of Vi for being slow and then Vi panics and makes a bad decision.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 am

Post by zoraster »

So THAT'S why he was bitching about TTR being "just card drawing and luck" last night.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:40 am

Post by Shmugen »

In post 284, Sudo_Nym wrote:How good is it, how is the game play, can it be played with <6?

It's one of my favorite games. There are a tons of options each turn and never enough actions ala worker placement, but all the actions are placed and then all the actions resolve adding tons of strategy and sneakiness.

The game play is complicated. If you can keep it all straight, it's quite rewarding. It still has something of an element of randomness, but I've played it 20 times at least and the randomness has only ruined one of them.

I prefer 4, actually. Six is going to be a very long game, and 3 can quickly become one sided. Then again, the strategy differs with number of players, you get 2 actions a turn with six players vs. 4 with 4.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 am

Post by Shmugen »

Each of the six animal types has a particular advantage and a starting food. Through the game more food is added to the board through the Abundance action, and you gain the ability to survive in new places and compete for dominance by picking up new element disks through the Adaptation action. These are simply drawn out of a bag, and this is where the randomness can hurt. I played a three player game with Birds, Insects, and Reptiles, which subsist on Nuts, Grass, and Sun respectively. Only those three elements showed up in the Adaptation action, and none of them showed up in Abundance action. Element disks that aren't placed through Abundance eventually fall off the board through other actions. This lead to a very boring game where no one had any elements except for grass, sun, and nuts. I'm still getting over it. More players will keep this from happening.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 286, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:

Sounds more like a problem with your friends than the game; because things flow quickly around here unless Vi is playing in which case you get the equally fun scenario of everyone plays quickly into Vi's turn; everyone makes fun of Vi for being slow and then Vi panics and makes a bad decision.

Perhaps. I also just really dislike the limited actions on your turn. "I'm going to place a train!" or "I'm going to draw new cards!" then boom, done. It's just not very interactive.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Speaking of interactive... has anyone played Galaxy Trucker? I forgot to mention that I picked it up a few weeks ago and holy hell, it is so much fun. The frantically-building-your-ship part is obviously fun, but the real fun comes in watching other people (like Pie) lose half of their fucking ship to one meteor strike because they decided to make a loop.

It's seriously fun and really interactive. No downtime, ever.
green shirt thursdays
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:04 am

Post by Shmugen »

Yes! Trucking is always a good time! It's easily my favorite of Vlaada's games (Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert, Mage Knight, more)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 am

Post by Vi »

In post 287, zoraster wrote:So THAT'S why he was bitching about TTR being "just card drawing and luck" last night.
I was being entirely calm about the subject!

Also, what Triple D didn't mention is that my moves are an art form all their own - nobody playing can ever quite tell what I'm going for... which I suppose is nothing new in general.
I still lose due to silly things like misreading my ticket.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 am

Post by zoraster »

I've probably played a couple hundred games of TTR over the years, and I still sometimes go to Nashville and think I've completed my ticket when I really needed to go to Atlanta. Usually this happens when I'm taking new tickets and I think something like "all right! I've already got this one complete." only to realize after the game ends that I've screwed myself.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

For any fans of Smallworld...
green shirt thursdays
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 291, xRECKONERx wrote:Speaking of interactive... has anyone played Galaxy Trucker? I forgot to mention that I picked it up a few weeks ago and holy hell, it is so much fun. The frantically-building-your-ship part is obviously fun, but the real fun comes in watching other people (like Pie) lose half of their fucking ship to one meteor strike because they decided to make a loop.

It's seriously fun and really interactive. No downtime, ever.

Galaxy Trucker is great, and it's quite newbie friendly too.
Trans rights are human rights.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 am

Post by Ythan »

I seem to remember you complaining about Galaxy Trucker, Reck.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

No no. That was Brock.
green shirt thursdays
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Man Pandemic is a great single player game.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up

Return to “The Arcade”