Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
drmyshotgun
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3575 (ISO) » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:26 am

Post by drmyshotgun »

In post 3575, Umbrage wrote:What about a Nolan trilogy game?

Yeah, I'd either play this or would like to mod it myself.
My GTKAS!
100% Win Rate in Micro: 10 Games!!
Guy_Named_Riggs
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3576 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Post by Guy_Named_Riggs »

I'm thinking about diong a Percy Jackson themed game. Has it been done before?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3577 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

ANYBODY familiar with Elizabeth Bear's Jacob's Ladder series (
Dust, Chill, Grail
)? I'm seeing nanotech-based roles...
Retired as of October 2014.
drmyshotgun
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3578 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 am

Post by drmyshotgun »

Any lovers of Jeff Smith's wonderful Bone Saga?
My GTKAS!
100% Win Rate in Micro: 10 Games!!
Guy_Named_Riggs
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3579 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Post by Guy_Named_Riggs »

Has a Pokemon themed game been run before? And would any one be interested in playing in one? I've been thinking of an idea based on the Red/Blue games
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3580 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Post by DeasVail »

I think there's been talk of someone/people running pokemon games in either this thread or the review thread. I would always sign-up for one though.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3581 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 3581, Guy_Named_Riggs wrote:Has a Pokemon themed game been run before?

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=18781
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12130
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11977
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?t=212

Search is your friend. :) Which isn't to say you shouldn't run one, but your first question is an easy one...
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3582 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Maestro »

Please do run one, GNR. I would love to play.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3583 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Post by saulres »

In post 3580, drmyshotgun wrote:Any lovers of Jeff Smith's wonderful Bone Saga?

I remember loving it when I read it, but I don't remember it well anymore at all :(

Not indicating a desire to play a game based on it, just answering your question and showing some love.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Sir Bastion
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3584 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:23 am

Post by Sir Bastion »

I'd like to run a John Carpenter's 'The Thing' theme perhaps.

though for it to really work everyone would need custom alts just for the game (as a big part of the thing is not knowing who's been changed) and to experiment starting a game with one large hydra scum account that as they succeed each night they can move one of their players into the new slot.
Scum:
nk bastion cos he is never being lynched imo.

I don't honestly think Sir Bastion is a PR, he's too outspoken for it. But he's also a pain in the ass.
Sucrose
Sucrose
Goon
Sucrose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3585 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Post by Sucrose »

In post 3586, Sir Bastion wrote:I'd like to run a John Carpenter's 'The Thing' theme perhaps.

though for it to really work everyone would need custom alts just for the game (as a big part of the thing is not knowing who's been changed) and to experiment starting a game with one large hydra scum account that as they succeed each night they can move one of their players into the new slot.

I really like this idea. Adds a whole new dimension of gameplay. And the difficulty of assuming the dead player's identity might help offset the great advantage that an unlimited cult faction has.
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3586 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am

Post by Leafsnail »

I really like the idea but I think there'd need to be some solution to timezone issues (or even "people post at different times" issues). A British Thing would seriously struggle to assume the identity of a west coaster who usually posts at his 5am (and vice versa).

edit: easiest solution would probably to specify a time when all your game signups need to be most active.

Also there'd need to be an absolute ban on talking about stuff from outside of the current game (it's hard enough to try and absorb someone's entire playstyle and suspicions for that game without having to remember their entire history). I really like the way that "You're not acting like yourself!" allegations would start flying around from day 2 onwards though.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3587 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, it's a cool concept but would be a nightmare to mod/adjudicate. You'd have to have a strong social contract with players not to 'prove' themselves by unspoofable means.

The single-hydra-to-multiple-accounts evolution is awesome, however.
Sir Bastion
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Sir Bastion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3588 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Post by Sir Bastion »

I tried throwing together a basic set up running off that idea after I posted the last post, I also searched and found talk of trying this theme way back in 2008 and some of the issues they were worried about there and tried to think of how to solve it. (but I clearly didnt think of the timezone problem) I dont know if I should just post that up here?

I wasnt thinking a large theme game either, I was thinking keeping it smaller but removing the lynching mechanic and replacing it with blood tests, so that instead of being lynched, if the player is not the thing they simply live, but then they could be replaced that very night and nobody would know so do you waste another day vote retesting the same player or trust him enough to test someone else?

Saying all that, yes the single hydra to multiple accounts idea was a personal favourite of mine.
Scum:
nk bastion cos he is never being lynched imo.

I don't honestly think Sir Bastion is a PR, he's too outspoken for it. But he's also a pain in the ass.
Sucrose
Sucrose
Goon
Sucrose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3589 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:54 am

Post by Sucrose »

Could you nullify the timezone problem by allowing multiple of the hydra-hivemind players to become the impersonated player? Like a hydra splitting off from a bigger hydra? It'd make pretending to have one identity harder, but would also alleviate the boredom of the hydra players in time spent waiting to get an body to play as.
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3590 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 am

Post by AurorusVox »

In post 3588, Leafsnail wrote:Also there'd need to be an absolute ban on talking about stuff from outside of the current game (it's hard enough to try and absorb someone's entire playstyle and suspicions for that game without having to remember their entire history). I really like the way that "You're not acting like yourself!" allegations would start flying around from day 2 onwards though.

Well, if you have game-created alts, you'd not have to worry about meta stuff so much (see Author Mafia for a game using game-specific alts)

In post 3590, Sir Bastion wrote:I wasnt thinking a large theme game either, I was thinking keeping it smaller but removing the lynching mechanic and replacing it with blood tests, so that instead of being lynched, if the player is not the thing they simply live, but then they could be replaced that very night and nobody would know so do you waste another day vote retesting the same player or trust him enough to test someone else?

Sounds awesome.

I would suggest running it in the Micro queue first maybe, and /pre-inning me as a matter of course.
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
AurorusVox
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AurorusVox
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3591 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am

Post by AurorusVox »

Considering running an "Of Mice and Mafia" game in the micro queue. Would this spark interest or is it just something I find to have a mildly amusing title?
THE LEMON LIVES! - Cabd
Mehdi2277
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3592 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 am

Post by Mehdi2277 »

If you mean based on the book Of Mice and Men I'd likely join it (had to read it last year in school). Decent book and would be interesting to see what roles you could make out of it.
greygnarl
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3593 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Post by greygnarl »

So I was sitting in biology class learning about different gases. The original idea was to have all kinds of gases and different immunities/protections. It evolved into this over the course of about two hours. If you would like to run this have fun since I can't mod yet. PR tweaks would be nice and if you have cool ideas then please tell me.

Setup
Each player receives 1 antidote at the start of the game.
Each player lives in a compound with 3 other players. There are 3 compounds. These groups are known to all.
Each day the town votes to pump gas through the pipes of one compound. Anyone who lives there who isn’t using an antidote dies.
Everyone knows the Pharmacist exists. Role PM in opening.

Roles
Town 1-shot Pipehack: Once during the game you may pump gas through the pipes of one compound. This can only be done during the day phase. Your choice will be announced by the mod during the lynch scene.
Town Sealer: During the night you may seal the door to your compound. Anybody leaving or entering your compound will be roleblocked.
Vaccinated Townie You cannot die to gas.
Town Pharmacist: Each day you have 3 antidotes to give to any player(s) you wish. You may give yourself antidotes but you can only hold one antidote at a time.
Backup Pharmacist.

Mafia Drugger: Each night you may leave your compound and enter another. You may choose one player and drug them so they will throw up their antidote. They will die if they are gassed.
Mafia 1-shot Chemist: Once during a Night Phase you may change the gas that is being pumped into a room. The moderator will post the rolenames of each player in the room to the thread during the opening post of the day.
Mafia 1-shot Knifer: Once during a Night Phase you may leave your compound enter another and stab one player.
Last edited by greygnarl on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3594 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Is it even theoretically possible for the town to kill the Drugger without using power roles? Just being able to dodge whichever room's being gassed seems broken. Also, the scum probably don't want to use their Chemist; confirming three players' alignments is not so massively useful for the scum.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
greygnarl
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3595 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Post by greygnarl »

I specifically wrote the rules so anybody who lives in a compound is killed regardless of who they visit. That way you can't get out of your compound. It might not be realistic but it's more balanced.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3596 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Post by Maestro »

WRT the "confirming 3 players" thing...the way I read it was that it was sortof like a mass-RoleCop that is told to the whole game BUT 1) nobody knows which player goes with which Role, and 2) only the Scum know which Compound was outed, unless one of the outed Roles is a unique Town PR (and even then, only the PR themselves would know that it was their compound because only they know that they're the one who's the unique Town PR).

VERY cool Setup idea. I think anything that forces Town and Scum to bargain "lynching" trade-offs would be fascinating.

e.g. Chemist outs Compound 2, which only has 1 Mafia in it. Scum wanted to know if there were PR's in that Compound. At the next Daystart, Town knows there are (let's say) 2 PR's in Compound 2, but so do Scum. Now Town can bargain on the PR's using their antidotes to gas the whole Compound and kill the Scum, while Scum can hope that Town allow the unidentified Scum in Compound 2 to survive so they can pick off the PR's later. Other cool situations would be possible as well...would be very interested in seeing this run.

Hope I'm reading that right...
greygnarl
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3597 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:56 am

Post by greygnarl »

Yeas you are. One thing is that everyone automatically uses an antidote unless they're vaccinated. Feel free to run this Maestro.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3598 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:07 am

Post by Maestro »

I've got a different idea for my current slot in the Mini Themed Queue, but please keep in touch.
I might wish to run it as a Micro because the 3 3-player Compounds works well into a Micro with a maximum of 9 players.

What thought have you put into making the setup larger than 3 Compounds?
greygnarl
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3599 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Post by greygnarl »

No clue about larger games. It's actually 3 four-player compounds. It says each player is with 3 players in a compound. Feel free to change it though. I thought the setup favored scum because it's almost guaranteed a townie will die in every lynch because of the Drugger. That's why it's 1/4 scum.

Another idea I had was to make the compounds randomized each day rather than set but it's just a different dynamic.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”