Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 am

Post by UberNinja »

Why not? Rising Star implies a new player. Most Improved can apply to someone who's sucked for years and only now is getting better. I think both could have their niche, but Rising Star would get nominated more often because etc. Just because it's a possible Scummie doesn't mean somebody has to get nominated for it, right?
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Rising Star doesn't imply a new player.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 am

Post by UberNinja »

-shrug-
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:19 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

So, let's go ahead and get this out there...

For next year, I nominate we change
Smooth Operator
to
Best Moderator
, an all-around body of work award for a moderator. I think the issue with Smooth Operator is that every year it just becomes "who fucked up the least", and I find myself going, "Well the dedication you had to this game was truly innovative, but you missed deadline by 10 minutes this one game day, so you're ineligible," and I just don't think that's a fair way to recognize great moderation. It doesn't just come from the flavor, or the setup design, or being timely with votecounts, or resolving disputes well, or creating a fun environment for the players, it's a big combination of everything and should be recognized as such.
green shirt thursdays
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:19 am

Post by IceGuy »

Support.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 254, IceGuy wrote:Support.
To be clear: quack
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:47 am

Post by zoraster »

Smooth Operator is actually the nickname for the Excellent Moderation scummy, but the nickname kind of gave the award a life of its own. I like Reck's suggestion, but I still think there's a place for recognizing those moderators that run the bread and butter good games, even if those are fairly difficult to distinguish. What I might suggest doing is splitting Excellent Moderation/Best Moderator Body of Work award and the Smooth Operator awards. My problem with simply eliminating smooth operator is that our scummies already skew heavily toward those that run Large Themes even though those are only a fraction of our total games played, and I'd like some recognition for people who simply run smooth games.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:53 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Perhaps so. Every year I've been a part of judging Smooth Operator, it ends up with people going "this person posted X votecounts, this person posted X-2, so the first person wins" and I don't think that's really fair. Excellent Moderation isn't about posting votecounts on time, but that's usually what it comes down to. When the design team finally gets automated signups & automated votecounts done, Smooth Operator's current role is essentially going to be useless anyway because everything will pretty much be automated.
green shirt thursdays
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:05 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 253, xRECKONERx wrote:So, let's go ahead and get this out there...

For next year, I nominate we change
Smooth Operator
to
Best Moderator
, an all-around body of work award for a moderator. I think the issue with Smooth Operator is that every year it just becomes "who fucked up the least", and I find myself going, "Well the dedication you had to this game was truly innovative, but you missed deadline by 10 minutes this one game day, so you're ineligible," and I just don't think that's a fair way to recognize great moderation. It doesn't just come from the flavor, or the setup design, or being timely with votecounts, or resolving disputes well, or creating a fun environment for the players, it's a big combination of everything and should be recognized as such.

4th
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 am

Post by UberNinja »

I would also like a more colloquial title to be applied to it, like
Beloved Chairman
or something humorous.

Too many titles are just named something simple like "Best Role" when they should have a great name like "Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Lazer Beams Out Its Ass" imo
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 257, xRECKONERx wrote:Perhaps so. Every year I've been a part of judging Smooth Operator, it ends up with people going "this person posted X votecounts, this person posted X-2, so the first person wins" and I don't think that's really fair.

That's... a terrible way to judge that award. I'm not yelling at you, but damn. No wonder you don't like it.

Smooth Operator seems (to me) to be for the person who dealt with the unexpected/unplanned stuff well. We have separate awards for Innovative Roles or Enjoyable Setups, but this is the person who rolls with all the weird, mundane, personal crap that happens during games from other sources. They take it in stride, the game never really suffers any longer than it takes them to come visit the thread, and... yeah. Smooth.

Iunno, maybe I'm crazy.
Retired as of October 2014.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 am

Post by UberNinja »

So stuff like when I had seven replacements in Mini 1359 and they were all replaced within a few hours? I don't think that necessarily makes the game better for the players, it just doesn't let the game get as bad.

And anyway, I think that criteria wouldn't really make for an interesting award (who let the shit hit the fan the least) or even something like who chose the best option for handling a mod fuck up (not deserving of an award anyway, since he fucked up).

I think an award for a mod who consistently has the best/most fun/most hyped games would be cooler and more sought after. Who gives a shit if they miss a couple vote counts. As long as the modding isn't "barely above average", and everyone has a shit ton of fun, that would be worthy in my book. A few mods come to mind.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 261, UberNinja wrote:I think an award for a mod who consistently has the best/most fun/most hyped games would be cooler and more sought after. Who gives a shit if they miss a couple vote counts. As long as the modding isn't "barely above average", and everyone has a shit ton of fun, that would be worthy in my book. A few mods come to mind.

We have that, though. There's at least one Most Enjoyable Game award, sometimes two based on size.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 260, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 257, xRECKONERx wrote:Perhaps so. Every year I've been a part of judging Smooth Operator, it ends up with people going "this person posted X votecounts, this person posted X-2, so the first person wins" and I don't think that's really fair.

That's... a terrible way to judge that award. I'm not yelling at you, but damn. No wonder you don't like it.

Smooth Operator seems (to me) to be for the person who dealt with the unexpected/unplanned stuff well. We have separate awards for Innovative Roles or Enjoyable Setups, but this is the person who rolls with all the weird, mundane, personal crap that happens during games from other sources. They take it in stride, the game never really suffers any longer than it takes them to come visit the thread, and... yeah. Smooth.

Iunno, maybe I'm crazy.

The issue is that when you have a bunch of nominations and it's like, "well yeah I guess they all dealt with bullshit that came up and didn't make errors resolving night actions" then the only thing to set them apart BECOMES "okay so... who did the best with votecounts/timely day & night starts?" because the criteria we've set kind of necessitates that.
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:47 am

Post by quadz08 »

I like the name
Smooth Operator
, but I'm ok with judging it in a different, less arbitrary way.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Post by UberNinja »

In post 262, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 261, UberNinja wrote:I think an award for a mod who consistently has the best/most fun/most hyped games would be cooler and more sought after. Who gives a shit if they miss a couple vote counts. As long as the modding isn't "barely above average", and everyone has a shit ton of fun, that would be worthy in my book. A few mods come to mind.

We have that, though. There's at least one Most Enjoyable Game award, sometimes two based on size.

Yeah but that doesn't account for outstanding modding though. That's more based on a fun player list and crazy levels of player interaction and excitement than on role mechanics and/or smooth modding and/or etc, etc.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

It's been both, depending on the year. It's a joint mod-player award, by the way I've heard it described (I think by mith, the year I won it for WIH:2).
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 am

Post by UberNinja »

Imho we should separate them.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Post by Glork »

So Reck and I were talking more about Smooth Operator just now, and I feel that the way Smooth Operator is handled/judged should be revised. It shouldn't be about doing vote counts, timely prods/replacements, etc. Splitting hairs over "this person had X vote conts over Y pages across Z games" isn't really a good way to determine a moderator's accomplishments in and of itself.

For each game in the "body of work" that comprises a Smooth Operator, look at
all
aspects of moderating.
How was design/setup handled?
What about flavor?
How hard did the moderator work to make the game enjoyable?
Did it run/flow smoothly? (This would include VCs, deadlines, prods, replacements, etc.)
How were incidents handled (if applicable)?

Look at how a moderator managed their game from design and setup to signups to execution and even postgame comments, feedback, and discussion.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

That seems punishing for people who don't run themes. Using those critera could a mod who runs opens ever win?
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 259, UberNinja wrote:Too many titles are just named something simple like "Best Role" when they should have a great name like "Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Lazer Beams Out Its Ass" imo

Actually most of the awards do have a nickname, some are more common e.g. paragon and don as opposed to the 'Rube Goldberg' award (do you know what that is offhand? :P )
Last edited by Faraday on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 267, UberNinja wrote:Imho we should separate them.

I think they can even be distinctly separated at the moment. You can keep the name Smooth Operator but basically change what it's for and having it refer to overall Moderating excellence (and keep it as a body of work award too, I think to further keep it different from Most Enjoyable Game) Most enjoyable is certainly fine as is, I think. (Even if sometimes it can be a bit hard to judge)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Post by zoraster »

it's one of those crazy contraptions where a set of dominos sets off a toaster which burns a magazine which's smoke sets off a smoke detector which scares a bird which jangles its cage which sets a ball rolling down a ramp that flips a switch on an electric kettle, which brews the tea that you're after.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's a body of work award.

I also don't think, and this is just personal opinion, that an open moderator who does the same amount of technical work as a theme moderator should ever really win. There's going to be very little difference between a top mod running an open and a top mod running a theme, so the tiebreaker is going to be amount of effort put in, in which case, yes, the theme moderator probably put in more effort overall.

But again, it's body of work. If someone ONLY runs open games, then yes, they didn't do anything for setup design, so it's going to hinder them. I suppose opens can still have flavor though.
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Post by zoraster »

I still would like to recognize those that do not do complicated games with recognition. Having someone who is "best in class" among those, even if their work is not as impressive because it is "easier," I still want them recognized for that. I think it sends a good message. Yes, maybe at some point it becomes a thing of the past when automatic vote counts come in, but we can change it then. Anyway, I'm not holding my breath on those, but I would love to be suprrised.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”