Retro Gaming Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
Vote: UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #29 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

Both of the SNES emulators I know of have no real setup other than unzipping them. What kind of problems are you having?
AlyG: If he's not a joke account then what is he? He starts bandwagons on himself and insults other people.
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

Put the ROMs in a directory, navigate to that directory through ZSNES and hit run. If that doesnt work, you can find me in AIM or Skype and I'll help you figure it out
AlyG: If he's not a joke account then what is he? He starts bandwagons on himself and insults other people.
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #83 (isolation #2) » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:24 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

GOG had Silver for ~$2

holy shit I've been looking for this game for years

now if only they'd get Freelancer
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #88 (isolation #3) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

Similarly, I've been trying all weekend to get XCOM to work. I've managed to get it to freeze during the intro so far, which is better than all the illegal operations I was previously getting
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #94 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:05 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

In post 89, Claus wrote:What OS are you using? Steam's version of Xcom worked almost without problem (If I alt-tab away from it, it will go into windowed mode and I can't get it back to fullscreen). The Dosbox package from ubuntu won't play sound, though -- I will try a PlayOnLinux script next.

Windows 7 64-bit. I'm not using the Steam/GOG version because I already own the CD version, and I try not to buy games twice
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #97 (isolation #5) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:42 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

I've been to that wiki page and it is 0 helpful. I am able to install the game, so the mounting/installation instructions also isn't helpful. What happens is when running, it just says Program:INTRO at the top and I get a black screen of nothing happening
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #100 (isolation #6) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

In the installation, it gives several options for sound cards. I had no idea what to pick, so I went with ultrasound because picking soundblaster wanted IRQs and channels and I don't know what else. Changing it back to soundblaster with all the default options worked. Thanks
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #102 (isolation #7) » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

well thats the thing, I'm not "attached" to any of them because I don;t know what any of them are. The only reason I picked Ultrasound was because I only had to mash enter twice as opposed to 4 or 5 times
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #110 (isolation #8) » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

GOG is having a winter sale. I got the Bullfrog pack yesterday and have been playing through Theme Hospital
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #119 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

I'm the opposite. I like the idea of most strategy games but I'm horrible at them, but I can play platformers all day long
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #121 (isolation #10) » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

suggestions for platformers?
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #125 (isolation #11) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 am

Post by UltimaAvalon »

Rayman Origins is probably one of my favorite platformers, and definitely one of the best games I played this year, but it doesnt really count as retro. Its a shame a lot of people put it on their backburner simply because of the timing of its release.

Rayman and Crash Bandicoot on PSX were both good, while on the N64, Mario 64 started a trend that moved what was traditionally platforming into something closer to Adventure, making it hard to classify games like Banjo-Kazooiee and Donkey Kong 64.

The SNES was mostly dominated by Mario and Kirby, but there was also a neat gem called Act Raiser that combined elements of town building and strategy with platforming.

For trying to get into Platformimng I'd say Mario Brothers 2 or 3 on the NES, Super Mario World or Yoshis Island on SNES, and I would go with Mega Man X on SNES rather than the Mega Man Classic on NES, simply because MMC has some very unforgiving moments and pixel perfect jumping, while MMX played a role in innovating the genre by introducing dashing and wall jumping
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #130 (isolation #12) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

You already know I never played Donkey Kong JD
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #132 (isolation #13) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

b..b..but Dungeon Keeper ;_;
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon
UltimaAvalon

Post Post #156 (isolation #14) » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Post by UltimaAvalon »

Forest Maze song itself is better than the various remixes that have popped up over the last few years

Return to “The Arcade”