Retro Gaming Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #62 (isolation #0) » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Post by JDodge »

I speedrun Yoshi's Island in my spare time now although I haven't had much of it over the past couple of weeks due to work/LoL commitments and traipsing through MMOland; I'm down to 2:45ish for a time but I can definitely knock another 15 minutes off easily with enough time and probably another 15-20 minutes off under that if I grind shit hard enough.

I kind of want to get a group of people together to learn some other game with me so I have some similar-level race competition (there aren't many people in my "not complete shit but not good" bracket for SMW2 yet) but I haven't really had the time.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #64 (isolation #1) » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 am

Post by JDodge »

In post 63, Vi wrote:
In post 62, JDodge wrote:I speedrun Yoshi's Island in my spare time now although I haven't had much of it over the past couple of weeks due to work/LoL commitments and traipsing through MMOland; I'm down to 2:45ish for a time but I can definitely knock another 15 minutes off easily with enough time and probably another 15-20 minutes off under that if I grind shit hard enough.
Any% or 100%?

any% warpless, i'm pretty bad
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #108 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 105, BS2000 wrote:
In post 64, JDodge wrote:
In post 63, Vi wrote:
In post 62, JDodge wrote:I speedrun Yoshi's Island in my spare time now although I haven't had much of it over the past couple of weeks due to work/LoL commitments and traipsing through MMOland; I'm down to 2:45ish for a time but I can definitely knock another 15 minutes off easily with enough time and probably another 15-20 minutes off under that if I grind shit hard enough.
Any% or 100%?

any% warpless, i'm pretty bad

There's warps in yoshi's island wtf?

http://yoshispeedruns.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_Glitches

tl;dr it's possible to confuse pipes to warp you to the upper-right corner of 1-1 (i've started running with warps although i haven't had time lately, gotten down to 2:12) and skip large portions of levels, the biggest ones are in 2-1 (skips the tetris autoscroller) and 2-4 (skips the boss completely)
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #128 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 125, UltimaAvalon wrote:Rayman Origins is probably one of my favorite platformers, and definitely one of the best games I played this year, but it doesnt really count as retro. Its a shame a lot of people put it on their backburner simply because of the timing of its release.

Rayman and Crash Bandicoot on PSX were both good, while on the N64, Mario 64 started a trend that moved what was traditionally platforming into something closer to Adventure, making it hard to classify games like Banjo-Kazooiee and Donkey Kong 64.

The SNES was mostly dominated by Mario and Kirby, but there was also a neat gem called Act Raiser that combined elements of town building and strategy with platforming.

For trying to get into Platformimng I'd say Mario Brothers 2 or 3 on the NES, Super Mario World or Yoshis Island on SNES, and I would go with Mega Man X on SNES rather than the Mega Man Classic on NES, simply because MMC has some very unforgiving moments and pixel perfect jumping, while MMX played a role in innovating the genre by introducing dashing and wall jumping

shame on you for talking about platformers on the SNES and not mentioning Donkey Kong Country (especially 2)
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #131 (isolation #4) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 130, UltimaAvalon wrote:You already know I never played Donkey Kong JD

you need to right now
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #133 (isolation #5) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 132, UltimaAvalon wrote:b..b..but Dungeon Keeper ;_;

right now
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #137 (isolation #6) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 136, Om of the Nom wrote:I had Donkey Kong Country 2 on the GBA and I didn't find it all that great.

that's because the gba versions sucked
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #139 (isolation #7) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Post by JDodge »

To elaborate further on why the GBA versions sucked, there are two main reasons (that would get laughed out of the water as shallow and superficial for a lot of games):

1. Graphical quality went down rather massively, compare the GBA version:

to the SNES version:

2. The sound quality was dramatically reduced, which especially hurts DKC2 (which had one of the best soundtracks of all time that the GBA engine doesn't do justice to) and DKC3 (which got a new, awful soundtrack for the GBA version). Compare the following:

DKC2 Forest Interlude SNES to DKC2 Forest Interlude GBA

DKC3 Frosty Frolics SNES to DKC3 Frosty Frolics GBA (warning: contains yodeling)

These on the whole severely, severely harmed the games to make them just another platformer - part of the reason why the DKC games were so good was their amazing atmosphere. The things they added (a few bonus levels, a boss, etc.) to the GBA version are not worth it for how much of the experience is damaged.
stream

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #143 (isolation #8) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 140, Om of the Nom wrote:For me it's not because of the worse graphics or the worse music, it's just the fact that I don't like the gameplay. Also the music style itself isn't really my cup of tea. I'd rather Super Mario World over Donkey Kong any day.

The issue is that the gameplay always was (being entirely honest) just an average platformer, but the atmosphere of the games themselves more than made up for it.

VG_Addict wrote:Super Mario RPG was an AMAZING game. Just listen to some of the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34RNtEl4r_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3uxLtMuF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfNrmksswDY

the fact that none of those are Beware the Forest Mushrooms is a shame, sir
stream

Return to “The Arcade”