Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2199 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:36 am

Post by Faraday »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Game_of_Thrones

Planning to run a game loosely based on the ending of the first of the ASOIAF books. Will probably be my first mini theme. Amazing series of books (*so far*), so yeh.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2201 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:48 am

Post by Faraday »

Suits itself to a theme, fairly well imo. Also an amazing series (yes even AFFC).

Thanks tho' :P
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2251 (isolation #2) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Post by Faraday »

zoraster wrote:has there been a game of thrones/song of ice and fire themed game?
I asked a while ago, apparently not. I was thinking of doing it for my mini theme game. I have a set-up created, but was waiting to get it reviewed till after my mini normal. It's just based on the first book though.

Wouldn't mind doing a large theme based on the 4 books in the future, if you were interested in doing something together, idk.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2254 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:55 am

Post by Faraday »

zoraster wrote:
Faraday wrote:
zoraster wrote:has there been a game of thrones/song of ice and fire themed game?
I asked a while ago, apparently not. I was thinking of doing it for my mini theme game. I have a set-up created, but was waiting to get it reviewed till after my mini normal. It's just based on the first book though.

Wouldn't mind doing a large theme based on the 4 books in the future, if you were interested in doing something together, idk.
I'd be willing to do that. I have a Large Theme (Parallel Universe Mafia) I'm planning to run after my Large Normal finishes and I get my Mini-Theme up and running, but I'd be more than happy to back-up or co-mod a large theme with Song of Ice and Fire or even Game of Thrones (sets up easy sequels if you/we can come up with a compelling game that people have a lot of fun playing). I think due to the scope and number of characters it really cries out for a large game. The question is whether there's enough interest in the books to justify it.
Heh, yeh. Well I think there'd definitely be enough interest for one game.
Based on the whole series. Maybe more, depending on how it goes. I mean I don't know how many people have read the books on here, but I'd imagine there'd be a few at least. Plus it might make people who haven't read them , want to.

2 WOT games have been ran, so there's no reason it wouldn't work.
Plus the books are actually good, it's not like it's a Sword of Truth game we're talking about (Goodkind gives me shivers!)

I'll probably pm you after my mini normal is done, if you're still interested.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2273 (isolation #4) » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 am

Post by Faraday »

The Fonz wrote:In the noble footsteps of lynch all lurkers:

Monsters of Policy Lynching Mafia

Every player is a one-shot vig, with a kill which can only be used on another player who has committed the requisite cardinal sin of mafia.

Anyone interested?
That sounds really interesting. Daykill would be better, more..immediate, but it sounds fun at least. :)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2285 (isolation #5) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:26 am

Post by Faraday »

hitogoroshi wrote:OKAY GUYS I HAVE AN IDEA AND A CURSORY SEARCH (ALBEIT WITH GOOGLE SINCE THE FORUM'S SEARCH FEATURE IS DISABLED FOR PERFORMANCE) HAS NOT REVEALED PREVIOUS IMPLEMENTATION OR DISCUSSION OF THIS PLAN.

CAPS LOCK MAIFA.

THAT'S RIGHT. ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, ALL THE TIME.

I THINK THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR TWO KEY REASONS. FIRSTLY AS THE PLAYERS IN THE GAME GET HABITUATED TO CAPS LOCK THEY WOULD SAY THINGS THAT SOUND REASONABLE IN THE GAME BUT WOULD BE ABSURD TO PLAYERS LINKED TO ONLY A SINGLE POST (E.G, YELLING 'EVERYONE I THINK THIS PLAYER IS TOWN SO PERHAPS WE SHOULD REDIRECT OUR QUESTIONING.') THIS WOULD MAKE CAPS LOCK MAFIA A COMEDY GOLD MINE.

SECONDLY, ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE, I BELIEVE IT WOULD CHANGE THE VERY DYNAMIC OF THE GAME. WALLPOSTING AND LOGICAL CASES THAT RELY ON LOOKING COLLECTED AND COHERENT WOULD SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF THIS POSTING RESTRICTION. IT IS MY BELIEF THAT MANY PLAYERS WOULD UNCONSCIOUSLY GRAVITATE TO MORE ONE-LINER POSTS AND SHORT, PITHY RESPONSES. IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO HAVE A PLAYER MIX WITH SOME WHO ALREADY DO THIS AND SOME WHO HAVE A META OF CASES AND WALL POSTING TO SEE WHAT THE TOWN DYNAMIC ENDS UP BEING.

SO YEAH WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

P.S YES YOU MUST USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS WHEN YOU ARE SO MUCH AS DISCUSSING CAPS LOCK MAIFA, I AM SORRY BUT THOSE ARE JUST THE RULES.

P.P.S THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO CAPS LOCK MAFIA IS IF Vi IS THERE AND YOU ARE TYPING HER NAME BECAUSE OTHERWISE SHE WOULD BE OBLIGATED TO DAYKILL EVERY PLAYER, EVERY POST.
I'D PLAY THIS I THINK IT'S DEFINITELY BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW THIS PLAYS OUT.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2597 (isolation #6) » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:00 am

Post by Faraday »

Yeah; sure. I can do that.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2709 (isolation #7) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 am

Post by Faraday »

zoraster wrote:So riffing off of webcam mafia... I just didn't know how much I liked just a game that had a youtube posting requirement. Thinking about it, that could lead to some very inactive people who I have to decide to replace and that's not good for the game -- especially in the 9 person game I was considering. But taking that concept and refining it what about...

Alternative Reads Mafia
the notes/audio part sounds interesting although my writing is illegible and i'm not sure i'd be understood as I tend to talk quickly(plus say words funny apparently)...sounds fun :P

looks like an interesting concept though.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2714 (isolation #8) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 am

Post by Faraday »

wanna do a first law trilogy game (based on the joe abercrombie), anyway wanna co-mod (aka help design the set-up)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2719 (isolation #9) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 am

Post by Faraday »

zoraster wrote:
Team Mafia

I haven't entirely thought this through, so this is definitely as the "gestation" phase, and won't be run immediately. I don't usually post ideas that aren't thought through at least to some degree, but I think this game requires input from the beginning.

The pitch

1. Everyone gathers with teams of four people, picking one captain.
2. Four open games are run at the same time (perhaps identical, perhaps not)
3. The team captain must choose one player from her team to put into each of the games.
4. The roles assigned to each player are randomly generated as normal.
5. Teams are in charge of finding their own replacements. (perhaps a small penalty if the mod has to do it for them)
Not sure about this one:
Teams can talk via a QT during their games to offer help, etc. (I'm leaning toward yes on this rule because it makes the teams more teamlike, though it comes with some negatives)
7. A point system at the end is used to determine the winning teams (perhaps just +1 for each win, but possibly also something to do with how close the victories and defeats were).
8. There may be a "solo" player sign-up where unaffiliated players get paired with each other or teams with only 2 or 3 players.

Thoughts?

My major concerns are:
1. If teams are known, it might make people in one game decide to do something that isn't what they'd normally do. For example, if it's lylo and you have a choice between a pretty scummy person who's on a team that's not really in contention for winning the whole thing and a pretty town person who's on your rival team, you might choose to lynch the town player because even if you pick wrong, at least the other person won't get a victory. The only way I really see of fixing this is to make teams unknown, but that takes some of the fun away from it and people might still guess. (e.g. If I had the choice between lynching VP Baltar and [horrible VI here] then I might choose VP because his team is more likely to hurt mine).

2. Getting enough teams. If this doesn't get at least half of its teams as preformed groups of friends, etc. then I think it's not really worth running. The alternative is to do something like have a big signup (say 52 players for 4 13 player games) and then have people rank their top choices as a sort of "team invitational" thing, but I like the idea of people picking their own team directly.

I'm sure there are some other concerns that would have to be addressed, but as I said -- this isn't a fully formed idea. Right now it's not a theme I'd consider running, but like many of my ideas it's a possible seed for growth.
I'd so play this. Not sure about open games over a mini normal but. I'd play this. The QT between teams would be pretty cool too.

I'd imagine you'd get most of the players needed too, you could always drop it back to teams of 3 if you coudln't get enough anyway.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2722 (isolation #10) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:56 am

Post by Faraday »

Second, if the games weren't identical, I liked the idea of a captain trying to place players in games they'd excel at. For example, place one person in near mountainous, place another in wild PR game according to their strength. But I could get around this by providing a summary of what to expect in the game (e.g. "This is a game with strong power roles", "This is a double day game")
I don't even think you'd need a captain, really. Players in teams would in theory work well together and probably be able to decide what they're good at themselves. Idea has merit though, definitely. I sort of like the idea of different set-ups as to me figuring out the set-up is one of the most fun parts of mafia.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2732 (isolation #11) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Post by Faraday »

zoraster wrote: Yeah actually that's what I'm thinking of doing (different games). I've PMed a couple of people, but I don't want to give anything away just yet. So stay tuned.
HYPE
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2738 (isolation #12) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am

Post by Faraday »

Idk if you need additional reward. Reward = you win the game, and hopefully get your team-mates to win the game too, getting as many wins as possible for your team.

Unless I'm not understanding something >_>
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2741 (isolation #13) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 am

Post by Faraday »

That might make players play sub optimally to try and avoid a nightkill, I don't know I think it's best to keep it relatively simple for the moment.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2796 (isolation #14) » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:05 am

Post by Faraday »

Lawrencelot did it with one of his games too..I think
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2819 (isolation #15) » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Post by Faraday »

Doctor Who Mafia (I know BM did one ages ago, but with the 6th of the new series going to be on soon~)

Any interest? I could use a co-mod/someone to help me design it, I have a vague outline of a set-up but someone else who knows flavour would be much appreciated.

edit: eh wrong thread
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2835 (isolation #16) » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 am

Post by Faraday »

Tragedy wrote:Thanks, RC!
Word of warning, I ran the second game just because I wanted to let the players actually complete a game they'd sign up for, the first one (which I had no involvement in other than back-upping) was a horrible set-up, the re-roll was to alllow a semi-enjoyable game to occur, but I've no Phoenix Wright knowledge so I just randomly assigned roles to characters.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2846 (isolation #17) » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Post by Faraday »

omg comparethemeerkat would be awesome.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2870 (isolation #18) » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by Faraday »

Do Mafia goons who don't perform the kill get killed?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2903 (isolation #19) » Mon May 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Post by Faraday »

AlmasterGM wrote:DEFCON Mafia 3.0: Yes or no? Trying to gauge whether there is interest in another run or whether this theme has tired out and I should move on to something else.

Your opinion in the thread or via PM is appreciated.

Spoiler: Sexy New Theme Image

It has nukes. Nukes. Nukes. No, run it again.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2907 (isolation #20) » Tue May 10, 2011 6:29 am

Post by Faraday »

Yeah it doesn't turn out like a bad idea game as you can't nuke straight away (:() either.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2939 (isolation #21) » Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am

Post by Faraday »

Private means scum can pile on a townie too, making it more likely a townie is lynched (assuming they stay private)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2996 (isolation #22) » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Post by Faraday »

upick: scummers edition (i.e. send in a mafiascum player as your rolename)

y/n?

(edit: gonna run it anyway, talked to a few people who said they'd play at goofbash anyway, and I *think* it could be fun)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3017 (isolation #23) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Post by Faraday »

AurorusVox wrote:Thinking about some kind of "Mafia's Got Talent" or "Mafia Factor/Idol" game where instead of voting for who you want lynched, you vote for who you want to keep in the game. A few ideas on what could be included:

-Player with the most votes gets bulletproof status for one night
-Player with the least votes is lynched OR the bottom two players face off in a 1v1
-Vote tampering roles for the scum?
-Executive Producer Role: can keep someone off the bottom (two), or promote someone to the top of the queue
-Submit a Sob Story to receive a boost in votes?
-(Potentially) People have multiple votes?
-(Potentially) "Votes from a landline cost 15p, votes from a mobile may be considerably more, you can enter for free online at...," with each person having £x to spend on votes at the start, but different types of votes doing different things (online can get hacked easier; mobile are untraceable; landline are just normal votes)
-Bullshit multiple choice competition questions based on in-game events, to receive a prize!
-All previous players appearing in the "Final" for a group performance?

if i play this do i get to record myself singing?????? i'd totally in if so. i am quite the karaoke singer.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3049 (isolation #24) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Post by Faraday »

Multi scum games are awesome (Someone's going to disagree, obviously, I don't care)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3051 (isolation #25) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Post by Faraday »

People will play anything, don't you worry.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3054 (isolation #26) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:16 am

Post by Faraday »

Poor Flay! Okay, people will play..most things? :P

Unless you're CJMiller.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3090 (isolation #27) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Post by Faraday »

Holy fuck.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3206 (isolation #28) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:57 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 3207, zoraster wrote:
Animal Rescue: dogs&catsPick

So I've been doing a lot of heavily mechanic based games this year: Court of the Gods, Strategy Mafia, and now Outwitted. Team Mafia was in some ways a departure from that, but not really since the whole concept was essentially a giant meta-mechanic.

I thought maybe I'd do something a little different. Basically the game is this: you sign up and you submit photos of any animals you have. If there's a story about how you got them or whatever, include that too as well as any breed info, etc.. I will then use the photos/stories to make a cohesive setup.

I don't know. Is there any interest in this? It'd probably be a 14-16 player game.

Hi. My name is Jack and I am interested in this game idea.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3217 (isolation #29) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Post by Faraday »

ignore ani, do eeeeeeet.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3339 (isolation #30) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 am

Post by Faraday »

Game is being rebooted, so wait for the thread in the large theme queue.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3412 (isolation #31) » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Post by Faraday »

well they're not the same thing. your one allows people to read facial expressions as opposed to just voice.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3517 (isolation #32) » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:50 am

Post by Faraday »

Dressage should be the SK.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3562 (isolation #33) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Faraday »

Yep. I was actually considering running one a little bit ago, but was struggling which people to include :P
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3606 (isolation #34) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:57 am

Post by Faraday »

I think one was already done, so you might want to check that out to make sure yours is different enough. I'm sure you'd get interest, though.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3616 (isolation #35) » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Post by Faraday »

Considering
Homeland
Mafia as a Mini Theme/Small L. Theme. Maybe just Season 1, for the first game, though. Idea was sparked by Jal's avatar.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3703 (isolation #36) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 3701, zoraster wrote:well part of it may be due to the fact that Strategy Mafia, with 24 hour turn arounds felt far too much obligation and really ground people down.

It was fun as heck but it was intensive even in a hydra (admittedly we did a lot of posting), not sure the 24 hours here would make it as intensive for the players (Or for you? Or maybe it would)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3740 (isolation #37) » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am

Post by Faraday »

This was based on the players meta. Our one above was based on whatever we decided was interesting. (They're fun to design, I know dramonic ran a scummers mafia too. Linky for you.

er: misread. Each role is based on the own players individual history and not a player. yeah to my knowledge that has been done. And it's fine for established people, some people are just...tedious to think of roles for (and vt is kind of lame in a game like that) so you have to be creative.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3774 (isolation #38) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 3774, Venmar wrote:
In post 3748, Venmar wrote:If anyone is interested in it, I will and would work on a Crash Bandicoot game in the near future, probably in the Large Theme queue.

- Going to assume the lack of feedback means no? I would really like to do this idea since i love the series, but I wont if there's no interest.

I wouldn't assume a lot from feedback in this queue anyway, a lot of players don't really read it.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3847 (isolation #39) » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:58 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 3845, Cheery Dog wrote:What should I do with night start games?
Should all lynches from games with multiple lynches on day 1 be counted (ie double day unlimited/otherworld mafia)?
Do Day-1 day kills effect anything? (same as night starts)
With hidden role details (ie medical mafia), should they still have those limitations or be told what they are (since they would be able to research it themselves) or just not count these games?
Should a role that came from a setup with different mechanics still use those mechanics?
What happens if I draw one Mason/Lover? (current thoughts are the same as it happened in great idea mafia)
How do I deal with back-ups?
Should I stop data collecting and just use whatever games where the people that sign up have been lynched Day 1? (Placing entry restrictions)
Would it then be better to open up for any lynch for better balance options?

• A Day 1 lynch is a day 1 lynch. Count Night start.
  • If you're only counting the first lynchee ignore daykills. I mean you can include day 1 daykills if you want but meh.
  • Eh, shoehorning in like the mechanics of a role in AGM's defcon would just be weird. It'd also confirm the player as either alignment dependant on the mechanic? It's also just messy.
  • If you're giving them a game link then they can find this out themselves, right?
  • Use the same thing as great idea, yeah.
  • Well what's the problem? You can have a back up cop without a cop, anyway. So does it matter? Universal backups are fine, anyway.
  • That could work, but would require effort at the time. it's definitely doable. Would you only get a role from the games you were in or could you get anyones role?
  • So you mean anyone lynched in the game could be a role? Eh, not neccessary. Depends on how many pr's and stuff you use. For a normal setup there'll be plenty of vanilla roles + you can assign scum a "safe" vanilla game or 3 in case of massclaim to stop something like that breaking it?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3916 (isolation #40) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Post by Faraday »

That sounds fun, although tricky to get right. Find a bookie!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3948 (isolation #41) » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 3947, xRECKONERx wrote:as a peer-reviewed thing where I made sure to send each person who was a role in the game a copy of their PM to let them approve or deny it.
doesn't that cut into a large % of your target market (and thus is a bad idea?)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #3951 (isolation #42) » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Post by Faraday »

i mean I think a "hey is it okay if I possibly base a role pm on you" to everyone would be enough with the understanding their may be some good natured banter/mocking

you'll find interest in almost any scummers themed game esp. since a lot of people would have met them at meets and such. its definitely niche but i don't see 2) being a factor since about as many people found the flavour hilarious as were offended by it so w/e nonissue
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4222 (isolation #43) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 4208, Sméagol wrote:I'd go 10-3 by default, but then again, I'm used to no-vanilla games

yeah dw, this is the norm. (mostly because it's the easiest to balance while giving the mod some creative freedom)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”