Why should i play fire emblem?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 am

Post by Vi »

The SMT crossover is going to be an RPG per Serenes Forest.

I'm busying myself with a casualty run of FE9. No stat boosters, no bonus experience, one character dies per Chapter. Somehow I wound up with basically one foot unit (Brom), and he's dying this Chapter.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:08 am

Post by Vi »

In post 22, ToastyToast wrote:@Vi: How did the last person left end up being Brom?
The last non-mount non-laguz.

Spoiler: Geeky playthrough stuff that proves that I need a capture card because it would be more interesting
(Ike is free, decided to have a full staff for Ch. 8 so there are double deaths until it comes out to be even)
Ch. 8 - Titania, Oscar,
Boyd,
Rhys,
Soren,
Mia, Ilyana
Ch. 9 -
Titania,
Oscar,
Rhys,
Mia, Ilyana, Mist, Rolf, Marcia (well crap)
Ch. 10 - Oscar, Mia, Ilyana, Mist,
Rolf,
Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai,
Volke

Ch. 11 -
Oscar,
Mia, Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Nephenee
, Zihark (no BExp. means all of my units are basically horrible)
Ch. 12 -
Mia,
Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Lieran, Zihark,
Sothe,
Jill
Ch. 13 - Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Zihark,
Jill,
Astrid,
Gatrie (Please die soon Brom)
Ch. 14 - Ilyana, Mist, Marcia, Lethe, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Zihark,
Gatrie,
Makalov
(lol, I only have one axe user left before Largo)
Ch. 15 - Ilyana, Mist, Marcia,
Lethe,
Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Gatrie,
Stefan
(not the GOOD units!)
Ch. 16 -
Ilyana,
Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Gatrie, Tormod, Muarim, Devdan (noooooo not my mage who's actually turning out awesome!)
Ch. 17 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Gatrie,
Tormod, Muarim, Devdan
Ch. 18 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran, Tormod, Muarim,
Devdan
, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson (I can't recruit Shinon, so I basically lose one potential player slot)
Ch. 19 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom, Kieran,
Tormod
, Muarim, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson
Ch. 20 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai, Brom,
Kieran
, Muarim, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson, Calill
UPDATE - Ch. 21 - Mist, Marcia, Mordecai,
Brom
, Muarim, Tanith, Janaff, Ulki, Reyson, Calill, Tauroneo

I forgot Calill existed and didn't even deploy her in Ch. 20. :? So, it looks like I have ONE standard foot unit entering Ch. 21.

Ike is down 4 Spd and 6 Res from his average.
Brom was 5 Str over his average at Lv. 20 before he was chosen to die, which made me much more okay with having him around so long.
Mist is a horrible unit on her good days and only becomes worth looking at after she promotes.

---

Other geeky stuff: One of the reasons I like FE is because it's a massive exercise in managing risk, and it features all the applied probability you could ever want. (For most people, this is "none", but I liked math enough to major in it, so etc.) For instance, Brom capping Str unpromoted only happens about 2% of the time (with a Str-boosting band equipped).
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Post by Vi »

More than the other games, Shadow Dragon's gameplay revolves around taking out a relatively small number of enemy units, each of which can put a dent in your team on their own.

As for being underleveled for later - it's certainly not implausible. There aren't a lot of enemies in the game, so there just isn't enough experience for you to train eighteen units. Concentrate on a team of units you think look promising. Make sure you have or can get someone with A in the physical weapon ranks. If you still have Lena and Caeda, use them. If all else fails, kill off everyone you don't like - the game will give you generic replacements at your (surviving) team's average level and they may very well be stronger than the units you killed. (You monster. :? )

What about the mechanics was confusing? (other than Reclass)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #27 (isolation #3) » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Post by Vi »

Would require me to get a 3DS for one game. :?

I'm debating whether I should tell Serenes that their FE9 Chance to Cap entry seems to have Bad MathTM going for it though.

Return to “The Arcade”