The Pokemon Nuzlocke Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 524, Glork wrote:I own no platforms which run pokemon games. A bunch of us did Emerald Nuzlocke runs with randomly generated pokemon a while back, but I thought I'd try another version if there was one available.

There is a universal randomizer out there (ping me on AIM and I'll give you the link) to use on all of your legallyobtained ROMs for the Pokemans. I recommend DeSmuMe for a DS emulator and Virtual Boy Advance for a GBA/lower emu.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Glork doesn't own a Nintendo handhold?

:o
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Post by Glork »

Never have. :(

Although I did once play Pokemon Red on a friend's Game Boy.... a few years ago....
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I feel for you, bro.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I do have a nintendo DS here somewhere but honestly I never ever use it. I only have pokemon Pearl on it. I don't see any reason to buy the newest pokemon games (black and white), because the pokemon suck in those games. Just look at this atrocity: Image
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:29 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 529, sirdanilot wrote:I do have a nintendo DS here somewhere but honestly I never ever use it. I only have pokemon Pearl on it. I don't see any reason to buy the newest pokemon games (black and white), because the pokemon suck in those games. Just look at this atrocity: Image

sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

^ It's not the best looking RBY pokemon, but at least it has the power of simplicity which the ice cone pokemon lacks.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 531, sirdanilot wrote:^ It's not the best looking RBY pokemon, but at least it has the power of simplicity which the ice cone pokemon lacks.

Here then:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-/64072420

kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Post by kdowns »

In post 531, sirdanilot wrote:^ It's not the best looking RBY pokemon, but at least it has the power of simplicity which the ice cone pokemon lacks.

Look at this contradiction xD
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Post by Aj The Epic »

In post 516, Glork wrote:
In post 512, Aj The Epic wrote:I try to be at least four levels ahead of the leader. And I always make sure the main poke either is immune or should be faster than anything the leader has.

Real Nuzlockes don't grind. Within one level or it's hacks.

Most Nuzlocks that I've run make sure that you aren't allowed to lose over 6 pokemon.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

In post 531, sirdanilot wrote:the power of simplicity

I read this, and then not even a full minute later happened upon this:

First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 534, Aj The Epic wrote:
In post 516, Glork wrote:
In post 512, Aj The Epic wrote:I try to be at least four levels ahead of the leader. And I always make sure the main poke either is immune or should be faster than anything the leader has.

Real Nuzlockes don't grind. Within one level or it's hacks.

Most Nuzlocks that I've run make sure that you aren't allowed to lose over 6 pokemon.

never heard that.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

Post by sirdanilot »

In post 532, animorpherv1 wrote:

Here then:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-/64072420

Not a very high quality thread in my opinion.

Though I agree that Dewgong and Seel are horrible pokemon. I even think the gen II spheal and walrein are better pokemon than that, because spheal is ridiculously cute and walrein is infinitely cool.
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:27 am

Post by Aj The Epic »

Klazam: Yeah, it's similar to the 'wipe' rule. You can only lose a limited amount before you have to restart. Generally, a party's worth. So, since the elite four is generally where you lose the most (and because Cynthia is a completely dominant champion), you have to be extremely careful in the main game.

In fact, just checking: Hearthrone's leader has a 32, 34, and 36. So I'm not outleveling her. Of course, the 36 just happens to have shadow ball, magical leaf, psybeam and confuse ray, making the set on par for something I might see in the RU competitive ranks, changing psybeam for psychic.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Post by Chevre »

Well things have gone nutty mccray-cray, but I'm still alive and still going. I have made it to Blackthorn City, and here is my team:

Parry the Fearow (37)
Donald the Raticate (37)
Frank the Gyarados (37)
Florence the Swinub (22)
Marina the Heracross (22)
Azealia the Shellder (23)

From memory, I think my box contains:

Emeli the Gyarados (30?) (The red one from the Lake of Rage, I know it kinda sort of breaks my Duplicates rule but I couldn't catch anything else at Lake of Rage anyway, and it doesn't matter while Frank's still around)
Isaac the Poliwag (20)
Shania the Krabby (???)
Suzanne the Girafarig (19)
??? the Farfetch'd (???)

So yeah there are SO many Water types. Like just before I quit for the night I lost Guy-Manuel the Tentacruel at Level 31. Obviously I've also lost Natalie the Haunter and Pascal the Ampharos, both of which were devastating and happened in the rival battle in the Goldenrod Underground Warehouse.

As you can see it'll be a lot of grinding (Clair's highest is Lv. 41) so I'll update much later. Luckily I have the Exp. Share so things will go somewhat faster?

I don't get how people can play without loss, though. Like so much of the fun is playing with Pokemon I normally wouldn't play through the whole game with. I don't think I've actually used a Swinub, Heracross, or Shellder in the actual game. If you grind your pokes so high, then you just get to play with your favorites again. :(
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:26 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I'll do a better update when I get home, but here a quick one.

I keep losing every single Water pokemon I train. First I had my starter croconaw, lost it, after that I have lost two tentacool, one poliwag and one staryu (the latter was pretty sad as staryu is a rare pokemon). I now have a poliwhirl, they can be caught in most towns with a body of water and I hadn't caught anything yet in most of them because I got there before I got surf.

Aside from that I have lost my second geodude... Stupid weezing exploding ! It'll take quite a while before I can get another geodude as I have caught something in every area that contains one. Geodude is basically the only viable bulky ground pokemon, as onix really, really sucks and sandshrew is not in SoulSilver. Phanpy is another good option but I can't get it until after blackthorn, it's ridiculously rare anyway. Hopefully I get a swinub in the ice cave to beat the dragon gym; I have already beaten the ice gym and am now wiping out Team Rocket.

Scyther is going strong with wing attack, u-turn and pursuit; tauros is at max happiness and I picked up the return tm last sunday, meaning it now has a very powerful STAB move.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 am

Post by Chevre »

Let me count the places I tried Geodude:
Dark Cave
Union Cave
Safari Zone
Mt. Mortar
Mahogany Town (this is a sketchy one, but the only pokemon you can encounter in Mahogany Town are those Geodude, Voltorb, and Koffing in the Team Rocket HQ that are on those traps. I think they might Selfdestruct by default though)
Route 45, right after Blackthorn City, but you want to catch a Phanpy there...

And yeah the Water pokemon are crazy.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I caught my geodude in the route right after the town you begin in and also one in dark cave. Safari zone I encountered kanghaskan but it fled, mt mortar I caught another zubat, mahogany town I encountered a koffing I think though it exploded, the bastard. I think I got a rattata or something stupid like that in union cave.

Wait a minute, I remember something now ! In Ruins of Alph there are rock smash rocks which should probably yield plenty of Geodude. I waited entering ruins of alph (or at least the wild pokemon areas) until I could get to the spot where you can catch Natu, but now I'm seriously considering just getting another geodude there. It's that good.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Holy fucking shit I lost ANOTHER FUCKING POLIWHIRL
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

I stil have a kingler (though it's a cool poke I really don't want to have to use it) and the red gyarados, I'm just gonna use the latter for the time being. Once I get the fishing rod I can fish something up in Cherrygrove city or some place dumb like that.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Good news: I got my Poliwag and Graveler up to acceptable levels, though poliwag needs some more training until it becomes a poliwhirl and I still need to find me a water stone somewhere.

Very bad news: I LOST SCYTHER ?!!?!!!1!!!!!!?!!!!! Why? Because those stupid DRATINI from the dragon gym trainers happen to know a move that didn't exist in gsc: DRAGON RUSH. A ridiculously overpowered move, and it critted OHKing my scyther instantly. As I don't have any steel pokemon this is going to be quite difficult a gym to beat. Gyarados knows twister, and I taught poliwag Blizzard, but still this is not gonna be easy at all.

What I could do is get me a Heracross from a Headbutt tree somewhere. Still, heracross sucks ass compared to scyther and that's definitely saying something as it's by no means a bad poke. Alternatively I could just get my level 40 something zubat from the day care. Neither will do too much against the dragon gym though. I also have a swinub which I could level up, but it's not going to work against that Kingdra.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Post by Chevre »

I don't know where the move relearner is, but gyarados learns icefang which is hecka more accurate. and there are tons of places to get a heracross, if you're lucky.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:30 am

Post by sirdanilot »

^I just discovered that gyarados indeed learns icefang at level 33 or so. Now I'm much more confident for the dragon gym !

Still, my pokes are at about level 34 or so while the gym pokes are much higher than that. I think I need to grind a few more levels before having a shot
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Wow. I beat her, but I lost the red fucking gyarados from lake of rage and a tauros. Though honestly I still have a tauros in my box and I could catch a gyarados any day of the week.

Now I'm going to the dragon den to get that wicked dratini :D
Voodoo Lady
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Voodoo Lady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:05 am

Post by Voodoo Lady »

I decided to do my first playthrough of Black 2 as a Nuzlocke. I beat Cheren with little difficulty, although his Lillipup was a bit more durable than I expected... luckily my Tepig managed a crit and defeated it before it could wreak havoc.

Porkchop the Tepig, lv. 13
Basil the Sunkern, lv. 11
Cream the Lillipup, lv. 11

The only casualty I've had so far is the death of my Patrat during the first trainer battle. I'll miss you, Rick. :0(

Sunkern is surprisingly good on Nuzlocke runs despite being laughably weak because it knows so many life-draining moves... whenever it gets low on health I can just use Mega Drain on a wild Psyduck or something and heal it all the way back.

How do you deal with your Pokemon running out of PP during a Nuzlocke? Ether is really hard to come by and TMs don't restore your PP anymore.

Return to “The Arcade”