The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #13550 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 4:28 pm

Post by T-Bone »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

Also Rhinox please don't make any changes to the bay you are sharing with me. Thanks.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13551 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Post by Rob14 »

lag is client-side probably
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #13552 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Post by Maruchan »

WARNING FOR TBONE AND WHOEVER ELSE USES TRAINCRAFT/RAILCRAFT

Traincraft wiki is wrong, use railcraft recipes for steel, or you're sol up shitcreek without a paddle.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13553 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Post by Klazam »

One thing I forgot to discuss with you guys

what difficulty do you all want server on? state why too, please.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13554 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Post by Rob14 »

I'd prefer Easy. This is the server difficulty I'm most familiar with (have even more experience with Peaceful, but lolnope). On easy, cave spiders don't deal massive poison damage to you, making it at least marginally easier to start off. I was playing on a normal server earlier with some friends, and I was killed by 3 cave spiders on Normal. I killed them quickly, but triple poison got me a short time later. That adds too much difficulty to mining basic resources. This was, by the way, with FULL iron armor. 3 cave spiders vs. me with full iron won easily.

Also, we have a bunch of mods on this pack that I know nothing about and would like to try. If I can't mine without losing things regularly, then I can't get really involved in those mods.

Lastly, I just plain don't like PvP or PvE. I understand it's a necessity, but I play Minecraft to build stuff, explore mods, and have fun with the community, not to swing a sword at mobs. Putting the server on Normal would force me away from doing those things towards pursuing "safe" options which don't result in constant death. I've been known to get bored on Normal servers in the past - don't think I've lasted long on any of them.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13555 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Post by Klazam »

personally I much prefer normal, because cave spiders not poisoning people bothers me, AND I hate how you can just go hungry and not have it affect you too much.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13556 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Eh - I'm old school. I still don't even like hunger. I preferred just hearts when it was around. This is probably one of the reasons I dislike Normal and Hard so much - hunger takes a much greater role. I know right now, if we go Normal, I need to find a new place to live (despite just traveling to 20000,20000 before finding land to make an island). I don't have the space on my current island to develop a farm, nor do I have any animals/seeds/etc.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13557 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by Maruchan »

For everyone's reference:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Difficulty
Hard References wrote:Hostile mobs spawn. Enemies deal greater damage than on normal difficulty. The Food Bar can deplete and will slowly kill the player if it drains completely. Creepers will not cancel their attack unless a large distance is between them and the player, making the explosion much harder to avoid. Zombies break through wooden doors.

Mobs are more likely to spawn with armor in higher difficulties.
Villagers killed by a zombie have a greater chance of becoming zombies in higher difficulties.
Explosion damage to entities changes depending on difficulty.
Zombie Pigmen spawn from Nether Portals in the Overworld more often on higher difficulties.
Now, before getting into the realm of considering others, I would LOVE to see hard.

Dying of Hunger, Creepers still blow up if you run away (so no more PUNCH THEM ONCE AND RUN BACK TILL EXPLOSION STOPS method of killing creepers, you legit need a weapon strong enough to 2/3 hit kill a creeper), Zombies will devastate villages unless you work hard to protect them, Mods will spawn (and drop) armor more often, ZOMBIE VILLAGERS FUCKING AWESOME, PIGMEN IN THE OVERWORLD IRRITATING MIST AS SHE BUILDS PORTAL IN HER LIVING ROOM FUCKING BAWLIN. Shit's actually HARD, makes you SCARED of mobs again.

Now, keeping in mind that this server IS a COOPERATIVE BUILD server, and NOT a Player Versus Environment server, a lot of that difficulty just irritates players trying to build epic things. So I would suggest normal. You can't starve to death, creepers will stop TSSSign if you run, Is the difficulty that the rest are based off of (easy deals LESS damage than standard, normal everythinng IS standard, hard id MORE than standard, etc), and all around keeps a challenge, while also keeping the server somewhat safe.

Yes, cave spiders actually have a reason to be more scary than regular spiders, because they are rarer, and only spawn in caves. Yes Withers are supposed to exert the Wither Effect. Yes you are supposed to get down to 1/2 heart of health if you don't eat. This is all GUD \o/
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13558 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Post by Rob14 »

In a vanilla server, maybe. Keeps it challenging. In a modded server, that all takes away from being able to experience the mods. (Y)
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13559 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

Easy because I have a slow connection and often experience lag, which turns a fight with mobs into a terrible situation.

And also because I'm a big wuss. Mostly that.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13560 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 13558, Rob14 wrote:In a vanilla server, maybe. Keeps it challenging. In a modded server, that all takes away from being able to experience the mods. (Y)

Also, THIS. Excellent point and I agree.
Art is cool.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13561 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Actually, for that reason, I would agree that, if M feels the difficulty of the Vanilla server deserves a revisit if/when that server restarts, I would support Normal on THAT server, but not FTB. I would even support Hard on that server because Vanilla can get boring if a proper challenge isn't present. This might be a good compromise here where everyone leaves satisfied. I'll let M, of course, decide when/if the difficulty on the vanilla server will actually be revisited, but would anyone have a problem with a Normal or Hard vanilla server, out of curiosity?
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13562 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Post by Rob14 »

@M/izak/klaz - I know this pack has some different mobs in it, IIRC. What are those and how difficult are they, out of curiosity?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13563 (ISO) » Sat May 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

I absolutely think the server should be on Normal difficulty. Easy is basically broken, and not just because of the cave spiders - you can NOT EAT ANYTHING AT ALL and still go around totally fine with 5 hearts until you screw up. And on easy, creepers are a joke - you can just hold them at arm's length and they won't exploide - and their explosions are incredibly wimpy if they do manage to go off. I KNOW that this is a cooperative server, but it still needs to have SOME challenge.

Also, vanilla has been on normal for over a year now. It was one of the first things we discussed after Claus op'd me and Xalxe.

@Rob - Tinker's adds blue slimes, which aren't really any trouble. They're more of a resource than an enemy. Twilight adds whole piles of mobs, that are generally tougher than the overworld mobs, as well as a few difficult boss mobs.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13564 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 13563, izakthegoomba wrote:I absolutely think the server should be on Normal difficulty. Easy is basically broken, and not just because of the cave spiders - you can NOT EAT ANYTHING AT ALL and still go around totally fine with 5 hearts until you screw up. And on easy, creepers are a joke - you can just hold them at arm's length and they won't exploide - and their explosions are incredibly wimpy if they do manage to go off. I KNOW that this is a cooperative server, but it still needs to have SOME challenge.

Also, vanilla has been on normal for over a year now. It was one of the first things we discussed after Claus op'd me and Xalxe.

@Rob - Tinker's adds blue slimes, which aren't really any trouble. They're more of a resource than an enemy. Twilight adds whole piles of mobs, that are generally tougher than the overworld mobs, as well as a few difficult boss mobs.
It switched to Easy sometime after I took control. IDK why. :P never been switched back.

Before me, it had been on normal since the day this thread started
Show
Join Now!

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13565 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 am

Post by Rob14 »

I withdraw my vote on that poll. I no longer have any interest in the difficulty of the FTB server.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13566 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 12:22 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

If that's because of what I said, I want to make it clear that while I think how you play vanilla is broken and cheaty, I don't think how you want to play FTB is in any way invalid, or that your opinion shouldn't be counted. I just think it can negatively effect other people's experience.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13567 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 12:33 am

Post by Rob14 »

PM'd, izak. I'm not saying anything in-thread.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13568 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 2:23 am

Post by Klazam »

I want to reduce the nether pumping restriction to 1000 blocks of 0,0

3000 is a bit too harsh without a form of teleportation.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #13569 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 3:22 am

Post by T-Bone »

I lag greatly when mobs attack me, raising the difficulty would make it impossible for me to play. Because of the lag spike I get when I take damage, encounters with a single skeleton are deadly, because essentially I am frozen in the same place while my game tries to catch up.

Also, I just want to build. There are ways to make mobs more difficult on easy. Like go to Twilight. They'll fuck your day up if you're not prepared.

I wouldn't mind a harder difficulty on the Vanilla server though.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
blake5135
blake5135
Watcher
blake5135
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #13570 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 3:39 am

Post by blake5135 »

I wouldn't mind normal on FTB or hard.
I just think its more of a challenge and I'd enjoy it
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13571 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 5:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 13550, T-Bone wrote:Also Rhinox please don't make any changes to the bay you are sharing with me. Thanks.
Howdy neighbor o/. I was wondering who that was near me. I didn't realize you had claimed the whole bay. I'm only planning on building a house with the building block starter kit before I go somewhere else. I had thought about building a bridge across the couple small islands at the mouth of the bay but I'll hold off if you have plans.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13572 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 5:26 am

Post by Oso »

Since I basically use Mobs for XP and resources, and not for any sort of fun usually. As long as it is above peaceful I'm good.

I'll officially put my vote one easy though. From reading some the comments, I'll throw in with them. Easy gets Mobs and drops so yeah, I'll go with that as that is all I'm concerned with as far as mobs go.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13573 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 am

Post by Rhinox »

My vote is for normal. Just because there are mods doesn't mean its only about the mods and not about actually playing minecraft survival mode.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13574 (ISO) » Sun May 26, 2013 5:33 am

Post by Rhinox »

FYI everytime I start up the FTB launcher tells me a new mod pack is available and asks to DL, even though as far as I can tell nothing has changed because I can still get on the server if I say no. Is there anything going on I should know about or is it just some kind of bug?

Return to “The Arcade”