Civers unite!!!!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 am

Post by mastin2 »

Ah, I loved Civilization, but my exposure to it is not enough for me to be a fan. Spoilered with Civ 3, I never could get used to Civ 2 or Civ 1. You can progress forward in the series rather easily, but going backwards? Not nearly as easy. :P

And my computer's weak enough that I can't handle anything more advance than Civ 3, either, so I never got Civ 4, nor Civ 5. (My computers--laptop and desktop--are both in gaming terms...ancient. They're, like, five or so years old by now, and weren't even close to top-of-the-line gaming computers. They were cheap, bare-minimum computers, which means that handling more advanced games is...difficult...to say the least. :P)

However, I WILL say that I had an ABSOLUTE obsession with Civ 3 for YEARS upon YEARS. Played it to death. I had the original version, without any patches. Those of you who have said original version without any patches might know what this meant--the gold cheat. Best way to beat Deity Difficulty. :P A literal bribe into victory, you could say. Buying everything (EVERYTHING--tech and cities and workers and......) from all nations, and dominating the world.

'Course, that gets boring after a while, so I played around with my favorite civs. I remember quite clearly loving the Persians, my de facto choice, but I believe I experimented with the French, the Greeks, and the Babylonians as well. (I'd have to check to make sure. Butyeah, I think you can get the idea--my focus as a player isn't the lategame; it's the early-game. And no civ dominates the ancient world better than the Persians do, assuming they have an iron source. Immortals are nearly invincible on offense and SOLID choices for defense. Plus, Persia's strengths gave me an edge, and I'd often be the one completing most of the wonders on the easiest two difficulties.)

I bought both expansion packs, too, and on my old, old desktop (it's busted now. Like, totally and completely unsalvageable busted. :P), I had them installed. One of them technically was supposed to allow me to play online, but I never got it working. It required a patch that for some reason, my computer couldn't download. (I believe the patch required an operating system that my computer didn't have. Remember, this was an old old computer, so I think its operating system was Windows 2000. No, wait. Worse. Windows ME. :P) Made me sad, but I enjoyed the extra civs, not to mention, the fact that there were now a ton of campaigns. I beat every single one of them. The WW2 campaign (via some save scumming, admittedly) is easy to beat as The Commonwealth (you just have to hold onto two key cities--two. Hong Kong, and the city which is one of three on the mainlaind. With those two under your control, you can dominate as early as the next turn). (It was my second attempt--I tried as the Japanese, but I couldn't pull it off. :P)

The Japanese campaign, I won as the purple faction, the one near the green one. (Like I remember their names off the top of my head. :P But funny story, that--it was also my second try. On my FIRST try, I was the brown nation at the very top, and I got my ass kicked by the purple, so I made the obvious conclusion from that, "Hmm...purple. Dominating the world, including me. Let's try being them!" It worked. :P I completely annihilated almost every other nation. Ironically enough, the nation I had been originally was one of the few
nations to survive my blitz.)

The Mediterranean campaign, I won as the Persians. (I tried being the Romans, because they were late-game players. I could tell looking at their tech tree that they were the nation which over time would become the strongest. However, given that these campaigns have a time limit, I wasn't fast enough to get my military to that point, meaning I never got to the point where I could wage that domination war.) All it took was to destroy the Greek army that Greece started with--once said army died (it only took me two or three immortals, strategically placed--I never lost a single city to them), and once I had an army of my own, it was a complete massacre. Persia starts with the most cities (noticing a trend? :P), Persia has the greatest early unit (once again, Immortals are awesome), and I was able to invade and dominate Greece.

The Napoleonic Wars campaign, I won as Russia. (Imagine that. They were the largest! I tried as France, but like with Japan, one nation against the whole world is not a blitz strategy I ever mastered. :P)

The barbarian campaign, I believe I won as The Huns. (I was orange, I believe, and spawned in the lower right corner of the map, so whatever civ that was is the civ I won that campaign with.)

The New World campaign, I won as Portugal. (Waitwhat, not the largest nation?!? Well, they were the seafaring people. My first attempt was as the Mayans, but I encountered the same problem as with the Romans--I realized that climbing the tech ladder would allow me to dominate the new world, but I didn't have the capability to do so.) I did have some underhand moves, though. Like building settlements right next to existing enemy settlements (you know, generally a VERY BAD IDEA, but one I invoked specifically to steal as many tiles as I could, via investing strongly into the culture of these tile-stealing cities--it worked!).

I don't really remember the details of the older American campaign, but do remember that I was green, and believe I was The Mayans. (I believe that this campaign was the reason I chose them initially during the New World campaign, even.) Won that one on my first try.

I have absolutely zero memory of who I was during the Mesopotamian campaign, but I know it was on my second try that I won.

Are there any campaigns that I'm forgetting?
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #140 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am

Post by mastin2 »

By the way.
Something I haven't mentioned.

I generally prefer to spend free time doing productive stuff.

But I did receive as a Christmas gift Civ 5. It's still in its wrapping, but I was wondering if I should waste my summer by getting addicted to it. (For previous reference, Civ 3 and its expansions are the only other games in the series that I've played.) And if so, recommendations on what to do, tips and tricks and whatnot.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #142 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Well, for perspective, I tended to abuse the Persians in Civ 3, since they were a great civ for advancing fast, having a strong early militaristic presence, and dominating culturally; I frequently could on easier difficulties wipe the floor using any victory condition I chose. Basically, aggressive early-game, with me rarely even getting to the late-game thanks to smothering.
My academy.
Agnigi

Return to “The Arcade”