Civers unite!!!!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Civers unite!!!!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

So I've been hooked on the Civilization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(series) since the first game. I bought Civilization V a month or two ago. I've never played it online so when KK said that he was getting it I wanted to play him online. We'll be playing on Sunday. I know a few other scummers have It so I thought I'd make a post and see if anyone else wanted to play too.

I also have the Gods and Kings expansion pack.

What time works for ya'll?
Last edited by Nero Cain on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by Amrun »

UGH I want Civv so bad..... Someone buy it for me!
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

I love the Civ games. Civ IV was my favorite, though. I'd always pick Mansa Musa and become a cash whore.
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Post by Ankamius »

I'm up for some shenanigans, although I only really ever play to ally with all the human players and try to take over the world as a team.

I prefer Civ 3 for that, though. Civ V has a few really stupid things that I think ruin the experience >_>
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Post by Ythan »

I've been playing 1 a lot lately. I figure I'll pick up 2 when that stops being fun.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I have IV and V.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Post by Xdaamno »

We tried a Civ V game in Mish Mash a year or two ago where each player would play a bit of the game, then handover to the next person. It was pretty sweet, but needs commitment.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Loved I, II, and IV. Avoided III based on Orbiting's experiences with it. IV with all expansions is Much Tougher... haven't got V yet.
Retired as of October 2014.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:11 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

I bought V a couple of days ago and am getting into it although I usually end up getting squished for never putting enough investment into my military.
#greenshirtthursdays
Elmo TeH AzN
Elmo TeH AzN
Jack of All Trades
Elmo TeH AzN
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 am

Post by Elmo TeH AzN »

I plan on getting 5
Stats not in the wiki. I'm That Crazy Panda.
I Speak Engrish Not English Leave My Grammar Alone.

Permanently V/LA
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:43 am

Post by quadz08 »

I have IV and V and will play with people. Sadly, I can't do Sunday; I have other plans.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:54 am

Could we set up a play by email game so we don't have to work around people's schedules?
Show

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:30 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Civ 3 was easy. I'd just use the Romans and kill everyone. Its one of my fave in game memories, I was playing the world map and had total control of Australia. The Greeks had conquered all of Africa so when they declared war against me I thought I was fucked. I built a massive navy and blockaded all of their ports then I started landing my legionaries and ended up beating them into submission.

Quadz-When would you be able to play?

Bud-can you explain what exactly is a play by email game?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:44 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 11, Bub Bidderskins wrote:Could we set up a play by email game so we don't have to work around people's schedules?
Can you still do that on Civ V? (I know you can on IV, I don't know if it's still a feature.)

I haven't played the game for a while.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:50 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

My friends are playing this and having a grand old time without me.

tl;dr I m considering buying this
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:58 am

Post by quadz08 »

I'm usually good on weekday nights (I'm Eastern time).
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 am

Post by zoraster »

i have 5 but haven't played it much. i could be everyone's favorite doormat.
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 am

In post 12, Nero Cain wrote:Civ 3 was easy. I'd just use the Romans and kill everyone. Its one of my fave in game memories, I was playing the world map and had total control of Australia. The Greeks had conquered all of Africa so when they declared war against me I thought I was fucked. I built a massive navy and blockaded all of their ports then I started landing my legionaries and ended up beating them into submission.

Quadz-When would you be able to play?

Bud-can you explain what exactly is a play by email game?
I don't know if you can still do it in V since I don't have it, but basically what you do is you complete your turn, and then email it to whoever's turn is next. I've never tried it so I don't know exactly how to set it up, but I'm sure it's pretty simple. This does mean that games can take a very long time, but you don't have to worry about schedules/time zones/etc.
Show

Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:12 am

I did a little digging and found this forum post explaining PBEM:
Wow! Ten responses and nobody answered his question. I will do my best. It's pretty simple.

1. Start game. Click multiplayer, click PBEM, click New game.

2. Type in a game name at the top left corner. Call it whatever you like. The game will automatically use this name for all saved games. Type in an admin password in the top right corner. Let's pretend you called the game "friend".

3. The first line of players should be called "administrator". Click on the little computer to the left of that name. Now you can fill in all your information. Give yourself a name, blah blah blah, type in your e-mail, your password, and your SMTP information. The e-mail is there because the game knows to send you the game when his turn is over with. It's a neat little feature. The SMTP is there so when you hit end turn, the game will automatically send the game to your friend through your e-mail without you having to e-mail it to him manually. I personally don't use this feature but some people do.

4. The next line should be called "player". Click on the little computer to the left of that name. Now fill in all your friend's information. If you don't know his SMTP and his password then no problem, he can fill that out on his turn by hitting the escape key, then clicking on "your information". Let's call your friend Dave.

5. The next line should be called "player". This is where you can either put some AI players in the game or close them all to make it a two player game.

6. To the right of both your names is the word "random". This is where you choose your civ and leader, as well as your friend's civ and leader. You can also go random.

7. At the bottom of the page is where you customize the game. I'm sure you know what settings you want.

8. Now you click the bottom right button called "launch". The game is now started!

9. When you are done with your turn hit the little flashing red light near your minimap to signify you are done with the turn. If you entered your SMTP information and your friend's e-mail, then game will ask you if you want to e-mail it to him. If you do, then hit yes. Your friend now has the e-mail in his inbox. If you hit no, then exit to desktop.

10. Go to your civ4 folder. Mine is called: c:/programfiles/Firaxis Games/Sid Meir's Civilization 4/_civ4saves/pbem. In there you will find a brand new folder called "friend". Remember, that's what we called this game. In that folder is a file called friend_BC_4000_to_Dave. Simply e-mail him that game.

11. The first time your friend gets the save he will not have a a folder is his save folder called "friend". He will want to double click the file from his e-mail and the game will launch. After he is done with his turn and he hits end turn, the game will generate the "friend" folder in his save folder. He entered his SMTP info then he can send the file to you from the game. If he didn't enter his SMTP info, he can find the save in his new folder. He can e-mail the save to you from there.

12. It helps to make a shortcut to the friend folder and put it on your desktop. That's what I do.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need anymore help. Oh and another thing, if you look towards the top of the multiplayer page here on the civfanatics forum you will notice a link called PBEM. Go there to find more PBEM games.
Show

mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 am

Post by mastin2 »

Ah, I loved Civilization, but my exposure to it is not enough for me to be a fan. Spoilered with Civ 3, I never could get used to Civ 2 or Civ 1. You can progress forward in the series rather easily, but going backwards? Not nearly as easy. :P

And my computer's weak enough that I can't handle anything more advance than Civ 3, either, so I never got Civ 4, nor Civ 5. (My computers--laptop and desktop--are both in gaming terms...ancient. They're, like, five or so years old by now, and weren't even close to top-of-the-line gaming computers. They were cheap, bare-minimum computers, which means that handling more advanced games is...difficult...to say the least. :P)

However, I WILL say that I had an ABSOLUTE obsession with Civ 3 for YEARS upon YEARS. Played it to death. I had the original version, without any patches. Those of you who have said original version without any patches might know what this meant--the gold cheat. Best way to beat Deity Difficulty. :P A literal bribe into victory, you could say. Buying everything (EVERYTHING--tech and cities and workers and......) from all nations, and dominating the world.

'Course, that gets boring after a while, so I played around with my favorite civs. I remember quite clearly loving the Persians, my de facto choice, but I believe I experimented with the French, the Greeks, and the Babylonians as well. (I'd have to check to make sure. Butyeah, I think you can get the idea--my focus as a player isn't the lategame; it's the early-game. And no civ dominates the ancient world better than the Persians do, assuming they have an iron source. Immortals are nearly invincible on offense and SOLID choices for defense. Plus, Persia's strengths gave me an edge, and I'd often be the one completing most of the wonders on the easiest two difficulties.)

I bought both expansion packs, too, and on my old, old desktop (it's busted now. Like, totally and completely unsalvageable busted. :P), I had them installed. One of them technically was supposed to allow me to play online, but I never got it working. It required a patch that for some reason, my computer couldn't download. (I believe the patch required an operating system that my computer didn't have. Remember, this was an old old computer, so I think its operating system was Windows 2000. No, wait. Worse. Windows ME. :P) Made me sad, but I enjoyed the extra civs, not to mention, the fact that there were now a ton of campaigns. I beat every single one of them. The WW2 campaign (via some save scumming, admittedly) is easy to beat as The Commonwealth (you just have to hold onto two key cities--two. Hong Kong, and the city which is one of three on the mainlaind. With those two under your control, you can dominate as early as the next turn). (It was my second attempt--I tried as the Japanese, but I couldn't pull it off. :P)

The Japanese campaign, I won as the purple faction, the one near the green one. (Like I remember their names off the top of my head. :P But funny story, that--it was also my second try. On my FIRST try, I was the brown nation at the very top, and I got my ass kicked by the purple, so I made the obvious conclusion from that, "Hmm...purple. Dominating the world, including me. Let's try being them!" It worked. :P I completely annihilated almost every other nation. Ironically enough, the nation I had been originally was one of the few
nations to survive my blitz.)

The Mediterranean campaign, I won as the Persians. (I tried being the Romans, because they were late-game players. I could tell looking at their tech tree that they were the nation which over time would become the strongest. However, given that these campaigns have a time limit, I wasn't fast enough to get my military to that point, meaning I never got to the point where I could wage that domination war.) All it took was to destroy the Greek army that Greece started with--once said army died (it only took me two or three immortals, strategically placed--I never lost a single city to them), and once I had an army of my own, it was a complete massacre. Persia starts with the most cities (noticing a trend? :P), Persia has the greatest early unit (once again, Immortals are awesome), and I was able to invade and dominate Greece.

The Napoleonic Wars campaign, I won as Russia. (Imagine that. They were the largest! I tried as France, but like with Japan, one nation against the whole world is not a blitz strategy I ever mastered. :P)

The barbarian campaign, I believe I won as The Huns. (I was orange, I believe, and spawned in the lower right corner of the map, so whatever civ that was is the civ I won that campaign with.)

The New World campaign, I won as Portugal. (Waitwhat, not the largest nation?!? Well, they were the seafaring people. My first attempt was as the Mayans, but I encountered the same problem as with the Romans--I realized that climbing the tech ladder would allow me to dominate the new world, but I didn't have the capability to do so.) I did have some underhand moves, though. Like building settlements right next to existing enemy settlements (you know, generally a VERY BAD IDEA, but one I invoked specifically to steal as many tiles as I could, via investing strongly into the culture of these tile-stealing cities--it worked!).

I don't really remember the details of the older American campaign, but do remember that I was green, and believe I was The Mayans. (I believe that this campaign was the reason I chose them initially during the New World campaign, even.) Won that one on my first try.

I have absolutely zero memory of who I was during the Mesopotamian campaign, but I know it was on my second try that I won.

Are there any campaigns that I'm forgetting?
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 am

Post by zoraster »

civ 2 was great, but it had the ever tempting "Cheat" button...
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:02 am

Post by Nexus »

I own Civ 3 and Civ 5. My computer does not like Civ 5, and I am bad at Civ 3 :(
Trans rights are human rights.
Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Post by Llamarble »

I do enjoy Civ and have deity wins on both Civ IV and Civ V (and not with BS settings either heh).

Civ IV was quechua rush a couple empires -> axemen an empire and a half -> my giant stack of war elephants / catapults against the WWI tech of the last empire I needed to take territory from for domination.
Slavery was so powerful in civ IV and made you really think.

Civ V I won a science victory by going the Siam 4 cities with free Wats from that one social policy and making sure everyone liked me.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Bah, I'll go on world conquests with anyone in Civ 3, regardless of skill level. I'm not very good at it either tbh.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

FWIW, I main Greece in Civ V. Most everything else is foreign to me.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

Return to “The Arcade”