Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #625 (ISO) » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Post by Chevre »

:S

I got Bohnanza and Hey, That's My Fish!, which hasn't been discussed onsite so far as I can see. I mean, it's pretty simple, almost juvenile, but it's reminiscent of Catan with hexes and randomization, and it involves penguins which are one of my friend's favorite animals.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #626 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 am

Post by chamber »

Bohnanza is a really good game with the right group.
Taking a break from the site.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #627 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Post by Chevre »

So reading through the thread and seeing Reck's earlier complaints about TTR, I think that exactly encompasses what my group needs: a game where no matter whose turn it is, everyone is at least somewhat involved. For example, in Catan even when it isn't your turn, the dice might give you resources to ponder, and trades will happen, and all this in addition to possible building on the board. Looking at my list of potential buys, I think Puerto Rico and Dominion encapsulate this, but what about 7 Wonders?

I was about to buy Carcassonne after pondering FOREVER with the long list, but after this realization I'm definitely not so certain. I think we'll end up playing some games tonight maybe, so I'll see how a game like Hey, That's My Fish goes before I make another purchase.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #628 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

7 Wonders doesn't even really have turns. Everyone is drafting more or less simultaneously, and reveals their picks at the same time. So if you want a game with very low idle time, 7 Wonders is among them.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #629 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Post by Fenchurch »

7 Wonders is definitively like that, because everyone takes their turns simultaneously. There is no downtime.

A drawback to it (imo) is that it has a slightly steeper learning curve than some games - there are several different card types that you need to understand, and there's an element of self-policing, eg. knowing which cards you can legally build. Because of the simultaneous turns, it's a bit harder to guide newbies whilst playing. One solution is to have a non-player on hand to look over their shoulder to explain or clarify things as needed.

It also takes a little while to count up scores at the end. That said, it's a good game and I'm a fan.

It does play especially well online eg. through BrettSpielWelt, because then the computer makes it clear which cards you can play, as well as doing all of the scoring at the end of the game.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #630 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Post by diginova »

In post 627, Chevre wrote:So reading through the thread and seeing Reck's earlier complaints about TTR, I think that exactly encompasses what my group needs: a game where no matter whose turn it is, everyone is at least somewhat involved. For example, in Catan even when it isn't your turn, the dice might give you resources to ponder, and trades will happen, and all this in addition to possible building on the board. Looking at my list of potential buys, I think Puerto Rico and Dominion encapsulate this, but what about 7 Wonders?

I was about to buy Carcassonne after pondering FOREVER with the long list, but after this realization I'm definitely not so certain. I think we'll end up playing some games tonight maybe, so I'll see how a game like Hey, That's My Fish goes before I make another purchase.
Race for the Galaxy would be a good one.
Smallworld has less interaction, but still has trying to convince your opponents to skip attacking you :)
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #631 (ISO) » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

7 Wonders fits the wonderful niche of being a strategy game for more than 4 people that can set a fast pace if they want it.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #632 (ISO) » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Post by Chevre »

Sorry to keep spamming my travails in this thread but:

We played Hey, That's My Fish! tonight and one of the first things we noticed was the lack of talking, which wasn't regarded as a completely bad thing per se, but I think we'd much rather prefer talking and interaction. We didn't get around to Bohnanza, but I think we might tonight.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #633 (ISO) » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 630, diginova wrote:
In post 627, Chevre wrote:So reading through the thread and seeing Reck's earlier complaints about TTR, I think that exactly encompasses what my group needs: a game where no matter whose turn it is, everyone is at least somewhat involved. For example, in Catan even when it isn't your turn, the dice might give you resources to ponder, and trades will happen, and all this in addition to possible building on the board. Looking at my list of potential buys, I think Puerto Rico and Dominion encapsulate this, but what about 7 Wonders?

Race for the Galaxy would be a good one.
Smallworld has less interaction, but still has trying to convince your opponents to skip attacking you :)
Too soon. ;_;
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #634 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Went to a board game meet today and got to play Keyflower and Cyclades(Has anyone else played those?). I managed to win both, but I personally preferred Keyflower.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #635 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Post by Shmugen »

Keyflower is an awesome game. The Carcassone elements threw me a bit the first time, and meeple management is difficult for me.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #636 (ISO) » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Well, I'm new to the board gaming scene, so stuff throws me off every game at the moment. Also, by fairly early into the 2nd round, I had a clear path to victory(In fact, at that point I essentially had a licence to print victory points.), and that helped dictate where my meeples should go.

Spoiler: Some stats for that particular game
Highest meeple bid for a tile: 10
Most victory points scored off a single tile: 55
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #637 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Post by Chevre »

After approximately 10 million hours of deliberation, I'm ordering the following games:

Love Letter - it is /r/boardgames' Game of the Week, plus it looks fairly simple, which is great for my group, and it has the role-selection mechanics of games that I'd like to try later on (Lost Temple, Citadels, Puerto Rico)
Saboteur - I thought this sounded lame when I first read about it but then I played a game of it on en.boardgamearena.com and loved it. It resembles the deduction games we play here, and the 3-10 player range works beautifully for my group.
Stone Age - I've been debating and debating and debating about which worker placement game would work best for my group, and I think Stone Age is the one. I played it on boardgamearena and while it was initially tricky, I picked it up quickly and I'm in love. The resources remind me of Settlers, which I'm sure will appeal to my friends.

Some of the other games I debated getting:
Hornet - similarish to Settlers and pretty simple.
Innovation
Bang! - the main thing holding this back is that we're a group of three, and this requires four. We often have the numbers, but not all the time. I think it'll be a hit though.
Lost Temple, Citadels - Like Bang! I'll probably get one. I didn't because Lost Temple looked fairly simple and Citadels would take 18-24 days to ship.
Dos Rios, Deadwood, Lords of Waterdeep - worker placement games which I considered to get my friends into the mechanic. Dos Rios looked okay with a modular board but ultimately the river damming looked too complex. Lords of Waterdeep is apparently D&D affiliated, which I'm unsure of as to how well that would go over with my group. Also it looks surprisingly complex. Deadwood would've been my choice had I not found Stone Age.
Santiago - apparently the heavier version of Settlers. Probably will get it at some point.
Seasons - I was looking through a thread of board games which are similar to Magic and this one cropped up. I'm a little iffy on it though.
7 Wonders - It just keeps popping up in every suggestion thread. What to play after Settlers? 7 Wonders. Like Magic? 7 Wonders? Playing with grandma? 7 Wonders.

Also we were supposed to go to a game store today to try out some stuff, but they couldn't go, so maybe we'll try again in two weeks. :)
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #638 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Post by diginova »

Seasons is excellent. It's pretty much literally Magic, though, plus the expansion is expensive for what you get.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #639 (ISO) » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Post by Andrius »

Never played Magic, but I enjoy Seasons. /2cents
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #640 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:09 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Love Letter is great. I've played a ton of it and it still hasn't gotten old.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #641 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Personally, I've only played Seasons once and I didn't like it. Too many complex rules and mechanics, and cards with lots of tiny text explaining what they do.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #642 (ISO) » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I want to play the Tzolkin game (The Mayan Calendar one). It looks fun.
green shirt thursdays
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #643 (ISO) » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #644 (ISO) » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Monopoly's a shitty game anyway. The gaming world will be better off if people stop trying to compare every game to Monopoly.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #645 (ISO) » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Post by mykonian »

There's nothing wrong with monopoly for what it is. The static board is a shame, but there was little they could do about it at that time. The game itself is rather nice.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #646 (ISO) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I just think more people would be willing to play Catan if they didn't grow up thinking every board game was like Monopoly.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #647 (ISO) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Post by Chevre »

I think that can only change with time. Catan and other designer board games are becoming more popular, so as people play them and have children, they will introduce those sorts of games to them rather than Monopoly and the like. Of course, simple games like Sorry and other roll-and-moves are simple
for a young child.
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #648 (ISO) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Post by Axxle »

I'm not actually too much of a fan of Catan, a bit too much randomness with the dice rolls, especially since the dice that came with the set does not like to roll certain numbers (I've kept track and it's definitely a statistically significant difference)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #649 (ISO) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 648, Axxle wrote:I'm not actually too much of a fan of Catan, a bit too much randomness with the dice rolls, especially since the dice that came with the set does not like to roll certain numbers (I've kept track and it's definitely a statistically significant difference)
Dice rolls and randomness are not the problem with Catan. The problem with Catan is that its randomness can lead to people who literally cannot do anything, and that's no fun for anyone at that point. Some randomness in a game is actually something that will draw me to a game, as I like having to adjust to what's coming at me. But in Catan, there's none of that.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow

Return to “The Arcade”