Mastin Academy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Mastin Academy

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Post by mastin2 »

(AKA, the "School of Mastin thought" on mafia.)

I've had a fair number of people following in my footsteps (asking "What Would Mastin Do?"), a few people call me a genius when it comes to the game, and/or asking to learn from the 'master' herself. I've even had a 'student' of mine "graduate", via surpassing me in his skill and talent. Not to mention, how I can apparently give people good advice and have always seen potential in users who often don't see their own.

I already do IC work (and sometimes IC outside of newbies :P), but I wanted to expand that a bit further and become, quite literally, a professor of mafia. (When I finish my mafia textbook, this'll be a whole lot easier a "course" to take. :P But since I'm a lazy procrastinator, I've not yet finished it.) I realize that things like this have been done before, but I'd like to take a stab at it with a Mastin spin.

What this thread is for:

Asking me advice on how to play the game of mafia, to give feedback to the players in general, and to critique specific games for emphasis of these.

A note:

Please keep questions on the game in general, as to not be specific to an ongoing game. If you want to ask a specific question about (or even related to) that game, write it down and ask
after
the game's already over.

What to ask:

Any question relating to the game. It can be anything from "Where do you look for scum?" to "How do you find town?" to "How do you break the RVS ice?" and so on and so forth. You got a question, I'll have an answer for you. Any question so long as it's not ongoing-game-specific will get as much elaboration as I can cram into the lesson.

(
Note from the future
:

Life sucks. I'm generally too overworked these days to review past games unless I was personally a part of them. I also have gained a bad track record in hydras of only loosely following the game. However, if you wish to hydra with me, then ask--if you make the account, send me the password, and also select a game, then I will generally accept your offer and help you for that game. Otherwise, I'm not much use, though if you invite me solo into a game then there's a 95% chance I'll say 'yes' and go in, and if you ask for a critique then I may be able to give one.)

How I'll help:

Note that my teaching style is incredibly personalized and intimate. (Not necessarily hands-on, but almost never completely hands-off, either.) If you're a complete stranger to me, I'm not going to track down your games to give advice. I'm instead going to try and play with you. From the start as two players, replacing into games you're in, and/or hydraing with you so that I BECOME familiar enough with you to be able to give that feedback. (Hydras give that advice more immediately, though.)

Just ask, and I'll do what I can.

Obviously, if I know you, I can already give that advice without the time delay, and will do so. If you want more detailed feedback, sure, I'll go through the process above, but only on your request. (My memory sucks for specifics, but is typically quite good for the generalities. Thus, why I won't do so by default.)

Note that I can always give more, but am kinda lazy. :P If you want me to go more in-depth, I'll do so. Just be aware that the more you ask of me, the longer it'll take me to give it.

Note for moderators:

You're not excluded from this! I'm more than happy to critique your setups and your modding practices. My process won't be as good as, say, zoraster's survey is, but it's better than nothing and is available at request. Just know it follows the same rules as above, and thus, will typically take some time for me to do.

A disclaimer:

If you're a better player (or moderator) than I am, chances are, I won't actually be able to help. :P I can give reminders, with occasional new tips, but at a certain stage, you evolve beyond my capability to help you, and
you
should be the one doing the teaching!

For instance, while it's theoretically possible for me to teach AngryPidgeon something, he already "graduated" and took my advice to heart, added his own spin, and IMPROVED it. I'm good at the game, and a great teacher--but I'm not the best. If I don't have much to say, it's a sign of your talent having bloomed with skill, and you've earned not only my respect, but also my admiration.

On Specific Games:

Note that I
will
give feedback on games that I'm not familiar with, but as with the above, my advice will be more accurate if I'm intimately familiar with the game. I'll analyze the setup and give an overview of each player, along with what you could do better in future games, and point out those general behaviors. Basically, this is a hybrid of the general theory questions I'll be answering, and the individualized coaching, tying it all together.

Grad School:

Just because you've "graduated" from my academy doesn't mean your mafia education is finished! The game evolves, the site evolves, players evolve, you evolve, and thus, the advice I give will also therefore evolve. You can ask me again to help, as many times as you'd like. It's a never-ending process of betterment. (But do note the above--I can try to help you, but if you're better than I am, it'll be much harder for me to actually do so.)

Spoiler: Students (when I was maintaining things better)
This section is basically a list of players I was actively working on helping.
  • Sakura Hana
  • notscience
  • Bulbazak
  • Lord Mhork
  • phokdapolees
  • Om
  • Kazekirimaru
  • SalmonellaDreams
  • Untrod Tripod (modding+playing)
  • Natirasha (modding+playing)
  • Jacob Savage (modding+playing)

Spoiler: General Learning Resources
Basically, a compilation of further reading material, and why you want to read it.
    Last edited by mastin2 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 13 times in total.
    My academy.
    "...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
    Agnigi
    , 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 1, Faraday wrote:Do you intend to charge for this?

Will there be uniforms at mastin academy?
    Nah. It's completely free. It's for the betterment of the site and the players. You can't put a price on that. (Well, you COULD, but you don't. :P)

There's no requirement. Think of it as like Khan Academy. (That's Salman Khan. Not Kublai Khan. :P)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:21 am

Post by mastin2 »

As a note--I will be answering each mafia-related question in a separate post. I'll also give detailed feedback in separate posts. This post is mainly just a compilation of acknowledgements.
    In post 7, Sakura Hana wrote:Where do I sign?
    I'll take this as a request for me to give you feedback. I'll get to giving it in a later post, but for an appetizer, a reminder of what I said to you in Chain of Command is in order. :P You have a great process. You simply need to refine the conclusions. I would love to hydra with you some time, if you'd like a first-hand experience with me.
    In post 8, thiscantgowrong wrote:Consider me /in on this.
    Alright. Since I don't know you, a reminder that it'll take me a while to get to know you some more.
    In post 9, Natirasha wrote:EDIT: But I have a design I wanna see you try to crack, Mastin, so if you're taking open requests, alright.
    Well, I wasn't exactly planning on having this thread be for requesting reviews on future setups, but if that's what you mean by this, I'm more than happy to do so. I'll open that avenue up for anyone who wants it.
    In post 10, Lord Mhork wrote:I'll audit this
    I'll take that as a request for feedback, but as a warning, Mhork, you and I are similar enough that I might not be able to give you much advice.
    In post 12, Om wrote:/In as a complete noob student. I don't have any specific question in mind but I would love to get tips etc to make my way from Newbies to big leagues where I did below average compared to the newbie I played last time when I was around.
    You didn't do too terribly last game I had with you (well, replacing into a game where your slot shared my scum alignment), but all the same, I'll do what I can. I'll give you a free starter tip, though--newbies are geniuses. They exist outside the standard site meta, and thus, their way of viewing things is different from most. That might make their ideas more crazy, but it also makes them more immune to scum's influence, because the scum's typical methods of manipulation are far less effective against someone who doesn't get manipulated that way. :P When a newbie becomes a normal player, they actually become weaker because they've become more susceptible to that influence. Until I get around to doing you, try and go back to your newbie games, and find what made them better than your later games.
    In post 4, T-Bone wrote:How much hubris is required of one to earn a Ph. D in mafia?
    To get an Associates degree in mafia, you need to have a little bit of arrogance. To get a Bachelors, you actually need to tone it down a bit and discard the arrogance. To get a Masters, you need to show quite a bit of an ego. But to get a Doctorate, you need to actually find a balance between the two. :P

...To explain in non-joking terms, most decent players have a little bit of arrogance attached to them. In order for them to grow into good players, the first step is typically discarding that arrogance and trying to remove their normal biases in a game. That said, most of the great players I've met tend to go back into it, with some justification in having done so. But the best? The best players strike a balance between the two. They're humble enough to recognize their weaknesses in games and work to fix them (often by working with others if their reads are good, or knowing when to reassess their pushes if their charisma is good), but have the confidence needed to know their strengths. Someone who has no confidence in their ability is just as bad as someone who has too much hubris about their ability. The best players are the ones who know how strong they are, realistically, and have that analysis without bias. (For instance, I'm upper-mediocre overall. Depending on how many town/scum PMs I get in a year, I may tip to one side. To put this into game-related info, right now, I'm a good scum player and only mediocre town, but that's beginning to change again with my scumplay getting weaker and my townplay getting stronger.)

Also, as for the bussing, that's what this thread is for. (I'll add it to my resources section.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #14 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 3, Espeonage wrote:What are the best ways to organise blocs, both alignments?
    The best way to organize blocs as town is to not try and form blocs. :P

That sounds stupid. Surely, there's a place for townblocs in games, right? Yes. There is! But when I say "not try and form blocs", I mean not forcing their existence. The best townblocs I've seen are the townblocs that weren't formed strictly as townblocs. By which, I mean, they evolved naturally. The players inside the bloc didn't force the existence of the bloc. Heck, it's a rarity for them to have even called it a townbloc in the first place. Basically, as town, the best way to have a townbloc is to not interfere with the formation of a townbloc by wanting one.

If a townbloc forms, it will form. It might take more time than you would prefer, but it'll happen without interference if you let it. And when it does form? It'll be without the influence of scum (most likely), AND be harder for the scum to break up! Because instead of players working together because they forced themselves to work together, they're working together because they want to work together. Rather than it making sense to work together, they feel like they should be working together. That organic, natural, flowing townbloc is difficult to break for scum because it is the natural order of things and breaking said order is artificial. It's harder for the scum to be in, too, because they can't force their way into the townbloc, and instead, have to be integrated into it slowly and patiently. (A process most scum cannot--or, if they can, WILL not--give the time to.)

Inversely, the best way to organize a townbloc as scum is to make sure it's formed, preferably early. The earlier a townbloc is formed, the more likely it is scum have infiltrated it, and ALSO the easier it is to break. Because the bonds which tied the players together were weaker (thanks to having rushed the formation of said townbloc), the bonds are more easily shattered as well. Think of a townbloc like a friendship or even a relationship. If you go into one only having known the person for a day, you're far more likely to have that friendship/relationship fail, simply because you learn that you're not nearly as compatible as that initial common factor would suggest you were. Same concept applies to blocs. The earlier they form, the more frequently they fall. This artificial force binding the bloc together will eventually fatigue, and the scum have a buffet of paranoia to feast on.

Thus, as scum, ask to form a townbloc. As town, note the potential existence of it, but don't force it. The cards will fall where they will fall, and as a result, will inevitably organize the bloc with rankings.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #15 (isolation #4) » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 3, Espeonage wrote:Why does RVS suck so much, or why do I wish RVS didn't exist?
    You wish the RVS didn't exist because nobody likes the RVS, but there's no way for games to begin with content in a day-start game. Heck, even in most night-start games (rare as they may be these days), there will still be an RVS. Pretty much the only games that don't feature an RVS are games where there was a mechanism in place that allowed for content discussion immediately.

The reason why we use the RVS is because it's impossible to start a game immediately with content unless, as mentioned, there is a mechanic in place that strongly favors there being content from the get-go. Thus, a method of generating content must be used. Other alternatives have been tried. The RQS, for instance, being a popular one, albeit one that ultimately favored scum more than town and didn't get the game rolling any sooner. There have been games where players have suggested skipping the RVS and generating content immediately--but in the process of discussing generating content, you take just as long if not longer to get actual content than using the RVS methodology.

We use the RVS because it's the method that has, by-and-large, proved the most effective at getting the results we want--content, soon, and useful content at that. Using it, a game can typically be out of the RVS before the end of page one (generally in smaller games) or two (in larger games). You might occasionally get an RVS that lasts longer thanks to some posting a ton of times in it, but even then, it typically ends in the same amount of time. (Generally within two real-life days, the Random Voting Stage has passed.) Not only is it easier to generate content soon in, but it's also something that can be fun. You can make jokes that don't otherwise fit into the game, you can have in-jokes that reference previously-played games, you can basically do your own thing for fun.

Thus, why it has such a strong hold over games. That doesn't mean we like it. I might have fun in the RVS, but I hate it. I find it awkward, and while I can get reads immediately from it, my accuracy is typically skewed as a result. I much prefer games that have that content rolling. There are ways to get more than the RVS. For instance, while the RQS is typically scum-oriented, you can ask questions in the RVS that (while more random than in other stages of the game) are beneficial to getting out. You can have RVS votes that are semi-serious as well, in that you're immediately discussing things and generating content, albeit in a more light-hearted way.

Still, though, RVS are a necessary evil of games by-and-large, because there's no method on the players side to avert the icebreaker that they give. On the modding side of things, though, you CAN influence this. As I said, simply by introducing a mechanic that changes the dynamics of the early-game, you've given a MASSIVE chance to the game lacking an RVS and having that immediate content, because the dynamics of the game have been changed. There may still be RVS votes, but they won't be the focus of the game.

Play around. Experiment. See what mechanics work and what don't. (For instance, one mechanic that might help is giving votes far more power than normal, thus, making players more cautious to simply throw them out.) Ultimately, your efforts will merely put a dent in the dominance of the RVS. But it's something that's different, something that's fun, which can set the bar high for other mods to aspire to accomplish, that breaking of the norm, of the RVS.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #17 (isolation #5) » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:35 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 5, phokdapolees wrote:I have one simple question: How do I scumhunt? Because I'm never really able to pinpoint scum as town myself, and have always just followed up on cases other people started.
    That's actually a great start! It's a little-known secret about my play, but in actuality, my reads are massively, MASSIVELY influenced by the works of others. No, seriously. I'm generally good at reading the people I engage with heavily, so when I have a townread on someone, when I trust a player, and that player gives a read on someone that I don't have a strong read on?

It makes a huge, HUGE difference to my read on that player. I am not a sheep; I have my own opinions on things. I'm going to do my own analysis and form my own conclusions. But I read the words of others and take them to heart. I actually listen when they voice their own opinions. I don't blindly follow them! I'm not going to instantly accept that their reads are better than mine. But their reads DO influence my own, and do so heavily. I analyze things knowing what they think, and building off of what their opinions are, with my own opinions mixed in, I weigh the scales to form an ultimate conclusion, one that is generally surprisingly effective at catching scum.

Now that said! I don't rely on others. I love their input, and I prefer to have it. But it's not a necessity for me to have that feedback. While these opinions of others (let's call them interactions, even though that's generally a different concept) have an influence over me, overall, I'm going to call it as I see it, and make my judgments largely off of the content of players. (My opinion OF the content might be painted partially by others' interpretations of it, but I'm still going to form my own interpretation of it.)

Of course, it's not perfect. It gets more accurate if there's a decent amount to work with. (And less accurate if there's too much to work with. :P The whole parabola theory, and all that. Too much is just as bad as too little.) I'm at my peak typically immediately after replacing in on D2 or D3 with my accuracy, because my initial reads get things that are corrupted if I'm in there longer or I never pick up on if I've let my biases form progressively. But in GENERAL, my reads get stronger the longer I live.

And I think it's largely because of the fact that I aim for the whole picture. When giving scumreads, I know that my scum list should not be double the size of the number of scum in a game. (4 scumreads in a micro is too many. Unless your moderator is Human Destroyer. :P 6 scumreads in a mini is too many. [5 is borderline too many as well, but isn't as bad.] 8 scumreads in a large is also too many. So if you have that many, you've gone horribly, HORRIBLY wrong in your approach, because there are going to be more town than scum, and your reads should be reflecting that!) Thus, the theories I form for scumteams, off of interactions and their general content, get more accurate with time as I have that additional info at my disposal. I keep things realistic, and that makes me a threat. I also see what isn't true, and what isn't true is just as important as what IS true. I can have a reasonable theory in mind that seems plausible enough, and a flip will cause me to realize that theory was wrong, and likely to investigate if the theory is completely and totally wrong, or needs a tweak.

To put it another way--the strongest part of my game is that I play the wifom game. The weakest part of my game is that I play the wifom game. :P NKA, VCA, I do them both, but they're educated guesswork at best. Everything in the game is, in fact. (See below.) I try to read things for how they are, but ultimately, it's just my own take on things when all is said and done. I take the perspective that, in a sense, the entire game is one giant load of wifom, and that it's the job of a town player to figure out what "level" is the actual one for the wifom. (Including figuring out alternatives. Most people think of wifom as having one glass poisoned and figuring out which it is. A good town player recognizes that it's possible BOTH are, and also thinks about neither. By which, I mean, can recognize that sometimes, both scenarios are true, and sometimes, neither are.)

Now, mind you. This next part I'm going to talk about is a slight tangent, but is related to this concept overall. I consider my gut and my logic to be one and the same, in that they're different aspects of the same concept (integrated into one another), in which I run through things to try and make sense of them. When I read a post, I might have a gut reaction to it--logic is what makes me search for what. When I compile a bunch of analysis, it's not my head which tells me what the analysis means. (That requires an objectivity that simply doesn't exist in mafia games; what is true in one game isn't true in another.) It's driven by my feeling, my "gut", of what's right.

To put this into general terms, I use logic, I use reasoning, I look at posts with the overall picture in mind, I keep an eye on interactions and mindset when looking for patterns (finding patterns is key!), and analyze all of that, but ultimately, after all of that is said and done, I'm going to go with what feels right. (For better or for worse, but generally, better.) Though there are a few basic rules I work by, they're for the most part more accurately defined as "guidelines" that define my general outlook on the game. (For instance, I mention above that I don't have double the scum in my scumreads. It's more applicable to finding townreads [which CAN be part of getting scumreads, via POE, but is not the focus of this post], but I generally DO try and have double the scum in my townreads. Four in a micro, six in a mini, eight in a smaller large, ten in a medium large, and 12 in a larger large.)

If you couldn't tell by this, there's no universal method for finding scum. I can give you general tips and guidelines. A key part of finding scum is recognizing scum thoughts. Their mindset, their motive, the intentions present in their post, are INCREDIBLY important to pick up on. A scummy player can be town whose words were scummy but intention was town. A townie player can be scum whose words looked good but were pushing a scum agenda. Mindset involves a lot of guesswork, and you'll get it wrong more than you get it right. But having meta knowledge helps, and also paying attention to those key interactions helps even more.

By reading how others interact with one another, and by seeing what they flip, and by guessing at what their mindset was when making those interactions, you can form increasingly-coherent reads that make progressively more and more sense as fitting. You'll never get a picture-perfect scumteam; there's no such thing. (If it looks too good to be true, it's not true. :P) But in general, you'll get a scumteam that looks like it's plausible enough to maybe actually be true, to actually exist.

That's the best tips I can give to everyone in general. If you want me to help you, specifically, just say so and I'll add you to the list.
    Further reading: interactive tells talks about interactions you can pick up on.
    Recognizing Reads talks about the process of giving out your reads, which ties into...
    Mafia as a Social Game, where I talk about, well...talking to others. :P The article there mainly focuses on convincing players, but I also recommend it for reading on how to work with other players and incorporate their feedback into your own reads.

I realize those articles are a bit long, but that's because they go into these things more in-depth than I can in this session. They're for reading if the tips I present in here aren't enough.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #19 (isolation #6) » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 8, thiscantgowrong wrote:First question: what are some general tips for appearing to be town (and is there a difference in looking town when you are actually town and when you aren't)?
    The best way to appear to be town is to not try and appear to be town. :P

Similar to my thoughts on the townbloc, this is basically because the more forced you try and make it, the less successful it's going to be. Be natural. Be yourself. (Well, not entirely. The better elements of yourself. :P) Focus on scumhunting. When talking to others (and yes, you should be talking to others), make sure you're not defending yourself, but rather, working with them. You might say that if they think you're scum, they're wrong. You might clarify something that they didn't get. But don't defend yourself. It's almost never a good idea. Focus on the offense, focus on finding scum, and when talking with others, have that similar focus. (For instance, "alright, I get it, you think I'm scum. But if I wasn't, who is? Talk to me, here" or something along those lines is something I have said plenty of times.)

If you look like you're not concerned about how you're perceived, then you'll be more likely to be townread. And defending yourself is going to make people think you're scum. So don't. Don't do things with the intention of making yourself look town. Or to put in another way--don't try to be town. Actually BE town. If you let things flow naturally, if you let yourself focus on the objectives a town player has in mind (that is, to find scum and lynch them), then you're going to be perceived as being town.

Now this is all fine and dandy for town players, but scum players have to modify it a bit. For the most part, it's the same! A scum player needs to not focus on defending themselves. That survivalistic attitude not only makes them look worse, but also sabotages their team's chances as a whole if it includes hardcore bussing in it. Mafia are not serial killers; they win as a team. So keeping that in mind, the objective as scum isn't to lynch scum; it's to get town dead as fast as possible and scum dead as little as possible so that you endgame town as quickly as possible. (The more days town has to figure things out, the more likely it is they will do so.)

Thus, as scum, your posts are similar, but not identical. You should still be yourself, but you're not entirely posting naturally. Your perspective on things is biased because as scum, you know more. (For instance, your scumbuddies are going to look scummier to you as scum than they ever would to a town-you.) So pure-natural posting from scum is detrimental. Keep it as close to natural as you can while still having that objective in mind. Focus on scumhunting just as town, but make sure your scumhunting is advantageous to your faction. You should be talking to others just as much (if not MORE!) when scum, and working "with" them the same. The only difference being that instead of working "with" them, you're subtly (AND I DO MEAN SUBTLE!) sabotaging them, via miniscule misdirections. Focus on looking like you're trying to find scum, while having your actions direct the town players away from scum.

This is the fundamental basics of it. There's more to it, and I'll probably need an advanced class to explain it in detail. (By which, I mean, a more specific wiki article covering the subject. :P) One final tip on this, though, is that you're not trying to sway people to your side, as either alignment. (Basically, you don't want to give them the solution; they'll reject yours and substitute their own. :P) You're trying to make them think what you do (as scum--rather think what you want them to think), or have thoughts that synchronize with your own (as town). It's a subtle difference between the three, but basically...instead of trying to make them agree with you, you're trying to make them think they've found the solution for themselves. (When, as scum, it's something you implanted into their minds, when subtly guiding their train of thought.) If you're town, your goal is to have them find a solution that you can compare to your own, and as scum, for it to be exactly the same as your own.

I realize this is a difficult concept to grasp, but it's what separates the good from the great. Great town players can bring out the potential in another player. Great scum players can make another player their pawn. Both by running the same process, with just a slight modification in ending technique. It's definitely something you'll need to practice, and practice a lot.

When it comes to further reading on the subject if you need it, as I said, it's not something I have a definitive article on. (I need to write one.) The closest I have is recognizing reads and my argument on charisma, for further reading on the subject. I'd also recommend skimming Albert B. Rampage's Alignment Discovery, which talks about the differences between town and scum objectives.

Good luck!
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #38 (isolation #7) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 am

Post by mastin2 »

Whoah. Was not expecting that many people to come in so soon. :P

General disclaimer--I'm not going to be actively going through the players until around Monday. For that matter, my theory talks might not happen 'til then, either, though I'll certainly try.
    In post 33, Desperado wrote:That's a lie and you know it. Why are you lying to your students, Mastin?
    I'm not. Dead serious, most of the best townblocs I've seen are the ones which weren't meant to be townblocs. You can, on rare occasions, have a townbloc form with the intention of it being a townbloc and have it be all-town and have no paranoia dissolve the townbloc. But that is the exception which proves the rule. Heck, even in *shudder* Walking Dead mafia, the townbloc had scum in it (Thor), and paranoia was beginning to dissolve it. Because it formed with the intention of forming a townbloc, rather than forming at a later time naturally. (The speedlynch on D1 and fairly-quick lynch on D2 were actually quite bad, because that's the time where people begin to form natural townblocs. Them not having had the chance, an artificial townbloc was formed instead, and the results were showing by the end.)
    In post 21, SalmonellaDreams wrote:Could I get some feedback on my play sometime?
    I'm willing to hydra up.
    Sure thing! I'll add ya to the list.

Espeonage--a reply to you will be coming soon. Short answer is, however, "don't". :P I'll explain why in a bit.
    In post 26, Untrod Tripod wrote:fix my modding
    In post 28, Untrod Tripod wrote:you may also fix my mafia skillz
    Alright, will do.
    In post 27, notscience wrote:mastin I require your expertise
    I can
    almost
    do this one without more games, but all the same, I think I need another game or two with ya to be sure. So, definitely on the list; I'll see what I can do for ya.

Phok--got ya. Adding you in.
    In post 32, Natirasha wrote:Put me on the list, mastin, for modding and playing. I wanna compare notes so to speak.
    Got you as well.
    In post 31, JacobSavage wrote:fix my life / modding / playing
    I realize the bit about "fixing life" is meant as a joke, but believe it or not, I consider mafia a great tool to do exactly that, if used properly. (It can ruin your life if done wrong, but enhance it if done right. Basically, so long as you take a realistic mafia workload, you'll be fine.) I consider mafia to be a game of humanity, and part of the game of humanity is you, as a human, so by playing it, you can help fix the flaws in your life and overcome hardships. Butyeah, all the same, adding you to the list.

Kazekirimaru, you're better than you think from what I've seen of you. All the same, adding you to the list. But as for your question...
    In post 37, T-Bone wrote:Tunnel without putting yourself in a position where you can't possibly change your read. If you get too rigid in your reads your destined to fail when the game progresses.
    This part is accurate, the part following it not so much. (Not in my school of thought, anyway.) I'll be explaining why in the actual lesson. (And, yes, using ten or so paragraphs. :P) Until I finish the typing, use T-Bone's summary if you can; it's basically a different wording of what my summary will be. ("Show confidence in your reads, but have your reads fit the evidence, not the other way around.")
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #51 (isolation #8) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 40, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:Add me for sure.
    Sure thing!
    In post 49, AngryPidgeon wrote:Can I be a Teacher's Assistant ;)
    I consider you one already. :cool:

You're a stronger player than I am, AP, as both town and scum. You're working at being good at MD, too. You're not quite at the level where I'd say you'd be a Professor Mafia candidate, but if you stay around the site and keep posting in MD, in a year or two, you'll definitely have surpassed me in those areas just like you have as a player. Heck, if you began teaching, you'd probably be a damn-good teacher, too, again getting into the big-leagues within a year or two. I definitely respect your feedback, and consider it vastly helpful. You might ask "What Would Mastin Do?" now, but I am dead serious when I say that, within a couple of years, I'll be asking "What Would AP Do?" :P (As I said, it's not quite there
    yet
    . But it's getting closer and closer.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #53 (isolation #9) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Just letting you know, I've seen the other questions, and am working on typing out my responses now.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #55 (isolation #10) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 24, Espeonage wrote:As a timid player, I'm not averse to trying to stand toe to toe with intelligent posters that are more articulate and methodical than I, however I have great difficulty in actually making headway (I always noticed my play as an SE in newbies as apposed to my play elsewhere on the site is vastly different) into getting those that I think are scum lynched or wagoned as after a few posts of back and forth I find myself getting beat down. What are the best ways to fix this trend to make myself feel louder, especially in larger games where there are more competing voices?
    In general? I don't advocate getting "louder". If you look at my play in games, for instance, I am decently-charismatic and am generally listened to...but I'm not loud. Not in the sense I think of being the word "loud", anyway. That word brings up connotations of the Fate school of thought, and CAPS LOCK ALLIANCE. If your playstyle is naturally aggressive, sure! That can work for ya. It works for people like kuribo and all that.

But if you're generally a more "reserved" player? Heck no, that's not you. Don't try to make it you. If you did, then you're probably going to get lynched for fakerage regardless of your alignment. :P Because it's not you. It's not your style. Don't try to force it to be your style. Instead, you should focus not on being loud, but on having your voice be heard. Being loud is one method OF making your voice be heard--but it is not the only one!

Often-times, it's not the person with the best arguments who wins. Often-times, it's also not the "loudest" player who wins. (At least, not in the long-term. I call these tactics strong-arming. They'll work for a while, as people get pushed into obedience. But eventually, they'll rebel, and bite back hard.) It's the player in-between the two that gets it. By which, I mean...it's the player who works with the others. They're not off in their own world randomly posting things which are insightful but completely out-of-touch with the game. They're not shoving their reads down others' throats. They're people who, when talking to other people, come across as being reasonable individuals and want to work together with them.

Thus, the solution to your problem isn't that you need to shout more. It's that you need to talk more, to the players rather than AT them. As town, you work as a team. As town, you need to collaborate in order to win. As town, you need to trust other town players. So as town, you need to work on gaining that common ground and working together to lynch the scum. (And as scum, you need to be able to fake having done the same!) Appealing to specific players is a great way to build that corroboration, and make your standing in the town be much higher.

Basically, there will be players who are timid and don't interact with others. Interact with them! Try to see where they're coming from, explain where you're coming from, and see if you can work together. There will be players who're trying to force others to obey them. Don't obey nor disobey them. Talk to them, ask where they're coming from, explain where you're coming from, and try to work towards having that common ground. They might not listen, but here's the key part--your effort at trying will look good, if not to the loud player, than to the other players, who see you trying to work with a person who normally can't be worked with.

I think you can see where a lot of this is going. It builds off of my lesson on "appearing to be town". Basically, overall, the best way to get a strong standing in a town is to actually treat the other players reasonably and to treat them as equals, who you're working with. Try and make it so that you're a team, or as scum, make it look like you are a team. You'll quickly find you have a long list of allies, if done right. People don't like lynching people that are friendly, nice people. It's one reason why Mastin mislynches are far and few between. I don't not get lynched because I'm an excellent player. I avoid getting lynched because I'm a player who treats others with respect.

In showing that respect, in showing that cooperation, in showing that friendship, that bond, I build a sense of kinship with the town, working with them to get scum lynched. It's not a perfect method, obviously. But it's a method that works remarkably well. People like being treated as a person. So if you do so, if you treat everyone as the person they are, and respect that they have skills as a player...you'll be able to get them to do the same for you. It's as simple as that! Treat others as you expect to be treated.

And in this case...
    If you want others to listen to your reads...listen to theirs!

That's really all it takes.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #56 (isolation #11) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 36, Kazekirimaru wrote:One question comes to mind: Is tunneling something to be avoided? Is there a "right" way to tunnel?
    The problem with tunneling is in going in thinking about tunneling. There is a good way to tunnel--and that's to not actively be tunneling. :P

I know, that phrase is getting ridiculously overused in these lectures, but to explain on this one--you can show quite a bit of conviction in a read. But it should never be absolute. I have a golden rule in my games. No matter how much it might appear I have violated it, I never, EVER have, and always I keep it in mind. That rule? "Fit the reads to the evidence, not the evidence to the reads." And this is the central part of "tunneling". I can hold a strong belief off of the evidence--but the moment I begin to morph the evidence to fit the read, I've gone too far.

One way I go about this which is surprisingly effective is that I acknowledge alternative viewpoints. I know, it sounds bad. It sounds stupid, like it's counter-productive. Pointing out how the read could be wrong? Surely that's just leaving a door for backtracking! Surely that's just wish-washing! And while this may be true some of the times, when it's done right...it's not. Instead of displaying a lack of confidence in your read, doing so properly will help to emphasize why you feel so strongly ABOUT that read.

I actually have a fairly good recent example of this! In Antihero Reboot mafia, I talked to EspeciallyTheLies. I explained the circumstances behind my scumread on her. That it was possible she was town. But then I laid out in explicit detail precisely why I felt she was scum. It showed that I wasn't confirmation biasing her. I wasn't writing her off as scum without a second thought. I had her as scum because that's what the evidence was telling me. (Granted, I was a mason, so there wouldn't be accusations of me backtracking, but there could have been, on me being wishy-washy. There weren't, though, because I handled it well.)

When done right, you accentuate the strength of your case, rather than degrading it. Now, I can't tell you how to 100% replicate this every time. But I can give a few pointers. When you make a case, you have to make sure you actually believe that's what the evidence says. Don't make up BS about it. And when you make the case, I strongly advise looking it over, thinking for a second, and analyzing it a bit, slightly objectively. Run through things. "Am I emotional about this case?" (You need to step back and reassess; chances are, your case--being emotionally-driven--has morphed the evidence to the read.) "Is this actually possible? Or even probable?" "Is this actually something I believe is a legitimate point?" And so on and so forth. Go through that mental checklist, and then, when finished, go through one more. "What's the other side?"

And believe me! No scum player's bad enough that there won't be another side! Look at it, and run through the reverse. "Am I emotional enough that I can't see it?" "Is it possible or even probable that they could be town?" "Is there anything about them being town that looks like it could be legitimate?" And so on and so forth. After weighing the two, then push forward with your findings. That way, you've analyzed it, and push it. And when you push it, it can be with strength. You're not confirmation biasing them, so it's not true tunneling. But you've gotten good analysis, that you truly believe, and push strongly.

And now we get to how this goes into practice. It's exactly as T-Bone said--the tunnel isn't a true tunnel. It's not impossible for you to change your read. But you're not going to change your read at the drop of the hat. You believe it. Strongly. Because that's what you see. It's something that can change. What you see will change as a game progresses. (For better or for worse.) But it will be something that you believe. You want confidence in your push. But it has to be with good reason. Your confidence can't be arrogance. You want to make sure that you're being reasonable and have a picture fitting the evidence. And not that you've distorted the evidence to fit your own narrative.

Mastering this is, coincidentally enough, a great way to get people to listen to you. If they think your pushes are not insanely-stubborn, they'll be more willing to follow them, and work with you. It's something not even I have completely nailed down, but it's something which has definitely helped a lot. By being the voice of reason, you put yourself in a position where others will listen to that reason, and have it resonate with them.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #58 (isolation #12) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 44, CrashTextDummie wrote:Mastin, please teach me how to stop wall posting.
    A helpful hint--it's not so much that you need to stop wallposting.

It's that you need to format your walls in a way that encourages people to actually read them. For instance, as much as people joke about not reading my posts, the simple matter of the fact is, most actually
    do
    . (Granted. Reading and comprehending are two entirely different things; if they actually comprehended my posts, I'd lose games a whole heck of a lot less. :P)

I can't really give good advice on how to improve that. It's one of my weakest aspects to my play. But it's still something that I can do better than most. (People are more inclined to read a wall written by me than by most other people.) And it's mainly because my walls have good flow to them. They transition from one point to another fairly smoothly, and are broken up neatly into nice, easily-readable sections that are not hard to digest.

In addition to having flow between paragraphs and nice guiding thoughts (for instance, bold headers in my MD articles that give the core message of the following point), I also try to format the paragraphs to be reasonably-lengthed. They're not super-short one or two liners. They're also not typically beyond six or seven lines at MOST, because that creates a solid block of text too hard to read in one go. 3-5 is the nice butter-zone of paragraph length. And while I realize that varies with screen resolution, it is something I try to do my best with.

Now that said! You can also wall less if you try. As kuribo said, sometimes, it's as simple as posting as soon as you've completed your thought! Typically, I caution a person who wants to avoid spamposting to make sure the thought is actually completed
    before
    hitting submit, as to make sure there's nothing additional needed for that thought. So look your thought over, see if there's anything about it you want to change, and only after thinking about it for a few seconds (or even minutes) do you hit submit. This crucial bit of thought-editing makes all the difference.

In short, both of these have the same factor--that thought process organization.

The key to making people read what you write (be it wallposting or spamposting) is to have your train of thought be easily traceable and to flow, with it being organized, neat, and overall, refined. You might not notice it, but my posts actually go through a lot of editing. What I post isn't my first draft, but is typically my third or even fourth draft. That crucial bit of editing makes worlds of difference, and it's the best way I've found for me to get what I want.

As an added bonus...typically, this editing process cuts down on words used as well, making your wall...a little bit less of a wall! (I realize you were most likely joking, but walling is a serious problem that many users have, and this is a lesson written to help them curve those problems.)

Good luck!
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #59 (isolation #13) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 57, Bulbazak wrote:Mastin, I would be interested in hydraing with you.

Also, do you think you could look over some old game links (That I would provide.) and tell me where I went wrong in my evolution as a town player. This would be via PM, of course. I'd rather not be too public with my tutelage, especially if it could be used as a method of dismantling my overall play. I don't care for being an open book.
    Sure thing, to both. :D

Note that, again, I'm not going to have much time over the weekend. (I AM V/LA right now. There are dozens of things I should be doing right now aside from academy work. :P) But I'll certainly do what I can.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #61 (isolation #14) » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 52, Om wrote:Real thing, let's say player X end's up bringing up one or two really good points but due to his other posts he is put in that dreaded VI category by whole town block and is easy to discredit, how does that player X convince others?
    Take it from a guy who used to BE that VI.

In this case? The solution is to discard being a VI. Acknowledge that you might have been one. Say you've been a VI. But show conviction, absolute resolve, in your determination to not be one, that you CAN be a good player. I was a VI at a time, but once I admitted it, once I admitted there were fundamental flaws in my play, I started improving, because I started analyzing them and seeing them, and worked slowly but progressively on eliminating them. Or, even, turning what was a flaw in my posting into a strength.

(As one example of that, walls. As I said in my previous lecture, most people actually read them. So I've turned my verbosity that I used to despise into something productive that people can actually use. Rarely if ever do I actually use a summary, and despite that, rarely if ever am I asked for one or is there confusion on where I stand, because people actually read the wall and know!)

Often-times, a VI who knows they've got issues in their play, but shows interest, shows actual effort, in having them fixed...will evolve from a VI into a great player, given the time to succeed. It's not an overnight change! You can't one day be incompetent, and the next be a scumhunting god. But by actually recognizing you need to improve...chances are, you'll slowly be working towards that improvement and have done so.

Now that said. VIs are actually players I massively respect, because in a way, VIs have something in common with newbies--their opinions are massively outside the norm. If you couldn't tell from my mini-lecture before, that's actually a
    good
    thing. Because VIs think outside the norm, they're actually harder to manipulate. As scum, the thing I fear most aside from players I know and respect is VIs, because they're wildcards that cannot be accurately predicted with great success.

So my solution isn't for the VI to "think more like a normal person", as some would suggest of a VI. It's to analyze what is good and what is bad about their play, and to bring out the good and minimize the bad. One such way for a VI to become less of a VI is to work with others. Instead of being in their own world and having tinfoil conspiracy theories they randomly blurt out, the former-VI can work with others, explain their crazy theory, recognize it's crazy, but ask for feedback if it has any backing at all.

And, more often than not...it actually does! Because this is where the former-VI's value comes in. They bring up one or two really valid points, despite mostly being wrong. If the former-VI is actually working with another player, said other player is more likely to pick up on the valid points, and use them. And not only will they use those points, but they'll encourage the former-VI to flesh them out a bit. But it requires initiative from the former-VI. To talk to those other players.

Talking is a key part of this process. You need to not do it on your own. You need to do it with their assistance. Ask for them to give feedback. Tell them what your angle is. Explain it, and recognize that your viewpoint is kinda crazy. Know that you're not going to be right about everything. And work with them to figure out what you ARE right about. Another aspect of this is recognizing the scale of things. You might have this grand paranoid theory that is hugely-improbable and incredibly unrealistic, violating occam's razor. But that doesn't mean elements of your theory are wrong, in that you'll often have kernels of truth in them that when you scale the theory back to a more realistic smaller scale, can be brought out and emphasized for all to see.

It's a process much like that which turned me from the VI I used to be into the respectable player I am now. I'm still a bit of an unusual player! My thoughts are largely outside-the-box (and sometimes even controversial). But they're received a lot more positively now than they were originally, because I refined this process a lot. I can't guarantee success, but I can definitely say you'll improve, even if you don't think you have.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #72 (isolation #15) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 69, Alduskkel wrote:I once tried to come up with a hydra name for me and Mastin, but I all I thought of was Wallduskkel. :P
    That's an awesome hydra name! We should totally do that. :P
    In post 65, Malakittens wrote:At first I wasn't gonna, but I think I do want to improve on both creating setups and as a player <3
    Alright, will add ya in a bit. (Same for SalmonellaDreams's request.)
    In post 70, FakeGod wrote:Imagine 100 scummers each with different playstyles.
    Imagine a scummer named Mastin3 who figured out a "playstyle X" that beats "playstyle Y".
    Now imagine Mastin3 teaching other scummers to employ "playstyle Y". (We can call this Mastin3 Academy)
    On the contrary! I'm teaching people to learn from my own playstyle. And if there's one thing I've learned in my mafia career, it's this.

I can't read myself worth a damn. :P

More than just my ever-evolving play making truly-accurate meta virtually impossible to pull off, there's also the fact that every player I've ever seen similarities in my own play has eventually evolved to a point where I was no longer able to read them accurately, perhaps because of the similarities. I'm teaching the playstyle X that beats Y, but I USE X. People who follow my advice eventually get to the point where they're stronger than I am. (E.g., AP.) X beats Y, but stronger-X beats weaker-X, and I'm only middle-tiered X. :P
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #100 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:08 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 97, Wake1 wrote:*Knocks on academy door*
    "Hello? Anyone in there?"
    Sorry. Life has been getting in the way of me responding. I'm not going to be able to give anyone proper responses until tomorrow (far too busy today), but needless to say, I've not forgotten about y'all. The doors to the academy are going to remain open as long as I remain alive. (And if I'm lucky, even after then. :P)
    In post 76, T-Bone wrote:lol mastin. "I'm average, but it's okay." Your hubris is failing you, and the board might have to strip you of your Ph. D
    My new shiny title says otherwise. :P
    In post 91, xRECKONERx wrote:jesus
    Yes?

:P
    In post 74, kuribo wrote:Ok mastin, we've played together a few times, do you have any advice for me?
    It's possible, but I'll have to think about it.
    In post 78, Landmind wrote:You should read my games in the future: I'd like to hear your thoughts, whether you join or just go over them after they're done.
    Will try!
    In post 77, JacobSavage wrote:How do I get people to join my games...?
    This is actually a great general question. I'll get around to answering it in a bit.
    In post 92, Majiffy wrote:Mastin should I keep making insane setups?
    This is another fairly decent general question. (The specific answer is that so long as you keep the games at least somewhat-reasonable, you should be okay. Vi has a nice guide on it. The game doesn't necessarily need to be 100% balanced [virtually impossible even in tamer setups], but it should be as close as possible. The game can be swingy, but should be reasonable. But all that said--overall, my personal feelings are that if the game's fun, balance takes a back seat so long as it's a small accidental imbalance rather than "HA HA FUCK YOU" imbalance. :P That IS my
    personal
    feelings, though, and not what I recommend following in general. So, yes. You can be insane. Just not insane-without-reason. :P)
    In post 82, Om wrote:What do I do as a VI and idiot if I suddenly find myself in game where I think everyone is idiot and I wanna rage-quite hard?
    First, check to make sure you're not being the idiot and all of them knowing what they're doing. If you've done so and have concluded it's not you, but them? Celebrate. :P Maybe throw in a facepalm at the idiocy surrounding you, but relish the chance you've got. You've graduated from being a VI into being at least a decent player, surrounded by people stupider than you. :P (But again, this is only if you're not being arrogant and missing the fact that it's you who's wrong.) I'll see about giving a more in-depth detailed answer later.
    In post 93, pieguyn wrote:how do I get people lynched?

whenever I try to push a lynch on someone I epically fail > < so generally I rely on other people buying my arguments on people and pushing the lynch themselves to actually get anyone lynched. it seems to work fine enough but actually pushing lynches is still a weak point for me and I want it to get better \:D/
    This is actually much closer to the solution than you think. (Specifically, the bit about relying on others.) As with the others, it's something I'll be expanding upon later, but keep going down that route for the time being; it'll serve you well.
    In post 99, notscience wrote:How do you lead a town
    Same way you lead a lynch, something I need to expand upon some more. Basically, though, it boils down not to asserting yourself as a leader, at least not in the traditional sense. It comes down to you establishing yourself as reliable, treating the others with respect, working with them, and coming up with plans to unite them under your common banner.
    In post 95, Wake1 wrote:Mastin, would you provide me with general principles and pointers?
    I've played Mafia online for about six years, but there is different from here. It's extremely serious business here.
    There's quite a bit I do know, but in order to be better on MS.net, I think I need more MS-centric advice.
    Yes, I'm already partially in the process of doing so, though from what I've seen of you, you need a little more...heavy-handed...coaching. But to give a pointer that I'll expand upon in a later post--MS.net might seem like it's extremely-serious business (and it is! No other site has the same devotion to the game as MS.net has), but it's also incredibly-light-hearted in that people DO play here casually and for fun, and don't want that ruined by some asshole. :P (Not directed at any specific player.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #107 (isolation #17) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 103, YellowKingValley wrote:If it is too late to vie for Town Leader position, should I go for Vice Town Leader or should I just lurk instead? What if there is only one doctor?
    Need to write an article for this as well, but basically, a bad town has either no town leaders or too many town leaders. A good town has one town leader and maybe a backup or two. A great town is one in which the 'strong' players fill the role traditionally used by a single town leader, but do so as a group, having transcended the need for a singular player to guide them. It's one of the founding principles behind good, solid, actual townblocs. Town players who mutually trust one another and work together to try and find and lynch scum.
    In post 106, Jake from State Farm wrote:how can I play better?
    I should totally make a general response on how players, in general, might be able to play better, by addressing common shortcomings in them. But as for you specifically, you're someone I'll need to put on the queue; it's simply been too long since we've directly interacted with one another as players, Jake.

Buuuuuuuuut, I'll give you a brief summary of what
    might
    help. My memory of you is of you being an arrogant ass. That's presumably changed, but I know the arrogant part remains since you've said here and there things that imply it and I think you even said in a thread or two of how you were proud to be arrogant. Effective listening comes from dropping the 'ass' part of it (I think you might have done so already, but if not, consider it), and effective scumhunting from reducing the 'arrogant' part. Reducing, but not eliminating. You can hold a fair amount of arrogance; the key is not letting your arrogance blind you, as it does occasionally do. And when it comes to being arrogant, you have to be lovably arrogant. (For instance, for the most part, I love playing with Majiffy--not despite his arrogance, but largely in part because of it.)

If you've already learned these lessons and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, well, then, again, the only way I'm going to be able to help is by directly interacting with you, because the above is the best I've got off of only having indirectly interacted with you. (Sorry.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #112 (isolation #18) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 am

Post by mastin2 »

This is a mini-lesson, basically lifted from a PM. Many players have sought my advice when it comes to curving frustration towards other players. And I figured I'd give some public notes on the subject.

One of the main reasons that my presence probably helps players is that I actively focus on getting to intimately know the people. This does help me get to know their alignment, however, that is not the true purpose of it. The other (much larger) part of it is that its main purpose is for me to understand the drive behind the player and work with them.

So when I'm in a game, because I'm damn-good at it, it has this infectious presence that spreads to others, influencing them. :P Regrettably, not even I fully understand that talent. It's something I just kinda...
    do
    . So I can't guarantee I'll be able to players understand it, when not even I know why I'm that charismatic. My main piece of advice, I guess, would basically be that players as town need to apply tactics that once were scum-exclusive to their towngame--a mild form of trickery. (Sounds crazy, but hear me out.)

By which, I mean...the best way to make someone think you're harmless is to ask for their help. (I forget the exact wording, but I'm borrowing it from a prank master who used this tactic to pull off a massive prank.) In mafia game terms, this means that the best way to make someone not scumread you is to ask for their help in scumhunting. It shows humbleness, it shows willingness to work with them, it shows team effort, trust, and support. For them to trust you, first you must trust them, and that gesture (no matter how trivial it may seem) helps a lot.

Talking personally to each player is much more effective than talking to a general audience. When I post, my words are almost always directed at a specific player, a specific person, rather than an appeal to the town in general, because I'm aiming to convince them, one at a time, about something. Or if not convince them, work with them and allow them to effectively convince me. (Depends on whether it's post-flip or pre-flip of my "switch", so-to-speak.)

Sorry that I'm giving off the appearance of neglecting the academy. As this response shows, I'm not. (I'll get to your reply, Jake, when I'm able to do so. This does partially apply to you, though, in that the main theme of this mini-lecture is that trust is a key aspect of town victories.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #131 (isolation #19) » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 am

Post by mastin2 »

So I realize I've once again been seemingly-neglecting the academy, but again, I've been continuing my work. In this case, I wrote a long critique for a more experienced player--an old veteran, who heavily uses logic. To protect their anonymity and for the different format, the words have been changed slightly, but I still thought it was worthy of a lecture.

Lecture title:
    Logic.

Players whose playstyles heavily rely on logic are largely a remnant of the past. In the past, a player playing by logic (if they were good at using logic) would end up average-at-worst, and could be among the best. But the site meta evolves--while many logical players lament that it's for the worst, I argue it's actually for the better, and that overall, the game of mafia now is MUCH stronger than it was years ago. I'd even say that the average skill level of players nowadays is higher, and even that we have more overall players that excel at the game. All this despite (or, perhaps because of) the tactics used now being far less logical.

And the reason why? Because, simply put...the game of mafia is not a logic puzzle, to be solved simply. While there are certainly aspects OF the game that require logic, it is no longer the central driving force of the game, for good reason. Because mafia as a game...isn't a game about anything to do with numbers and logic. (Again, those things contribute, but do not DRIVE, the game.) Mafia, at its central core...is a game of humanity. The people playing the game are first and foremost PEOPLE, and as anyone who knows anything about people can tell you...

...People are deeply illogical creatures with no sense of sensibility. :P People are flawed, people are complex. And while you can profile players, while you can predict them, while you can compile generalities about players as a whole (all doing things with logic and numbers), those things will never capture the entire essence of players, and thus, never the entire essence of the game. Thus, why a player relying on logical tactics nowadays is typically in the lower percentile of players. Clinging to an outdated mafia philosophy hinders their ability to play the game as either town or scum.

In their own time, perhaps they were competent. But if they don't evolve their play (because site meta constantly evolves), they're left incompetent in the current gamestate. This, however, is not something that is permanent, so long as they put in the effort to not let it be. It's something easily overcome simply by recognizing that they're clinging to the past, that they need to fix the problem, and that it causes issues in their play.

I like to word it this way--logic (contrary to their beliefs) isn't dead. It's just been largely replaced with the similar concept of reasoning, something that is currently far, FAR more important in the game, because logic works on principles that don't generally apply to people, whereas reasoning is explicitly things that do.

In other words...the game of mafia, nowadays, is more about understanding the other players. Pretty much every single top scumhunter (be it accuracy, charisma, or both) understands this concept, as do the best mafia players. Knowing the fundamental drives of a player is what allows them to succeed, something logic alone would never have allowed them to do. (Because logic doesn't focus on a person, whereas reasoning does.) If you understand where a player comes from, you're able to better play with them as either town or scum. Seeing their mindset (as town, as scum, in general), their motives, their intentions, what they see, and evaluating it, is basically the fundamental core drive behind the current game. Players show their reasoning, what they see, where they're coming from, all instead of 'cold' logic. (Heck, sometimes, a player is transparent enough where they don't even need to show their reasoning; their actions alone are enough where players can accurately guess their reasoning.)

While some die-hards may argue that's a regression, I still hold that it's an enhancement, and that the current game of mafia is a much, MUCH richer game overall as a result, albeit one that takes more getting used to. It does take adaptation, especially for those not familiar with these concepts. But once you do, you understand that it works...and it works
    beautifully
    . Town players win games by recognizing a player is town and a player is scum, and being able to work with other town players to convey this message effectively. (What works on some players will not work on others. Thus, why customization is often required. General appeals [which most logic relies on] are far less effective than specific appeals that have been tailored to their audience.) Scum players similarly win games by manipulating town players into misreading the mindset of other town players, and making the town players think the scum come from a town mindset.

On the surface, that's actually not too different from the game before, because it used to essentially be town using logic to convince other town, and scum using logic to misdirect the town. But in practice, it's almost entirely a different world. One much more deep, complex, and difficult to grasp. But logical concepts still play a huge part in this. For instance, one of THE best scumhunting tools I've seen is pattern recognition. As scum in lylo, most of my losses come from effective town pattern recognition and most of my hardest-fought victories have been shutting down the correct pattern recognition that pins me as scum. :P It's an inherently-logical concept, playing a HUGE part in current games, because it's
    the
    best indicator of a person's motivation/mindset/intentions. (Albeit one that takes a long time to compile effectively. Day one pattern recognition is rarely useful. Day five pattern recognition, on the other hand...)

For instance, a decently-strong scumtell of mine is me being consistently wrong throughout the game. (Note that Burden of Proficiency is and always will still be a logical fallacy. But I'm not talking about once or twice being wrong, which is when the fallacy tends to get used. I'm more talking about in a Large game, me having consistently townread the scum and scumread the town, up to and including in lylo. A perfect example of this is Anything Goes, where I did explicitly this, and panicked when Brian Skies successfully locked onto this.) I'm a competent enough player, but I have a defining mindset of trying to keep my scumbuddies alive and trying to lynch town. So while once or twice is normal of my towngame, if I've been consistently failing to advocate the lynching of scum the entire game...well, that pattern is often a reveal of my mindset--not to lynch scum, but to stop the lynching OF scum.
    (Mind you, we all have bad games, so that's not an absolute. I'm talking about a general tool, which is
    generally
    effective.)

That's just one example of how things rooted in logic still have their place in the game, but there's of course various others. In a sense, metagaming (also a form of pattern recognition) is another instance of it--with a large sample size (KEY TERM BEING
    LARGE
    !), you can see what types of patterns a player will do, as an alignment and in general. With that large sample size (NOT ONE OR TWO RANDOM GAMES!), and familiarity with said games (
    not
    just a skim of them!), it's a decent way to get a grip on a player. You might be in the camp of "meta is bullshit", but that's because every game's different and most people using meta neglect part of the things necessary for effective meta.

The way I see meta, in fact, is that meta's basically the "entrance" level of 'reading' players at their core levels. It's something rooted in logic, but which allows a person to read players on a deeper, fundamental level if done right. Basically, I see using effective meta as a stepping-stone into the world of the current game of mafia. (Advanced participants don't require meta at all, and in fact, is what I advocate given that most people use meta wrong.)

To put it another way, something logical can be turned into something transcending logic. Whereas the logic fails to grip the important key aspects, the elements of the logic can be used to lock onto them. This ties into another one of my key beliefs, one that most older players have trouble accepting. It might seem like a difficult concept to grasp, but basically, the old school of thought is there were two fundamental scumhunting methods: logic and gut. (With logic generally thought of as overall being superior, but gut not carelessly discarded especially given how well it works for some.)

Nowadays, however...I see the two as being the same thing. Rather, they're different aspects of the same basic method, of understanding and evaluating people. This isn't something easily comprehended, but think of it this way. If you get a gut reaction to something, what do you do? Say you had a gut reaction to it and just leave it there? Sure, some times, but most of the times, no, you won't. You might say that, but you also give speculation on
    why
    you're feeling that way...speculation rooted in logic. To you, something is 'off', and you do your best to figure out why, using reasoning, using what is effectively logic on an illogical feeling. (And it works more often than it doesn't.)

And it runs the other way, too. Say you've gathered a ton of analysis together. You've got a ton of facts compiled, and are in the process of analyzing it. Is there an objective way to reach conclusions 100% of the time? No. Often-times, ultimately, you make your judgment call on what the facts mean. On what the evidence you've gathered tells you. And guess what? That conclusion you reached isn't logic. It's gut.

Logical processes end with a gut reaction. Gut reactions lead to a logical process. They're a self-feeding loop, because they're not two separate entities. They're part of the same process of knowing what you see, and communicating it, of understanding others and processing what they say. And if you recognize this, you're capable of using it, exploiting it, understanding and applying it to your game, with the results showing.

All that said, you might think that this advice is asking veteran players to change their methods...but it's not. It's more like telling them what the better veterans already know: they need to recognize there's more to the game than their own playstyles, and that alternative views that conflict with their own can ultimately end up enhancing the game. And, thus, can sometimes be incorporated into their own game. I can near-guarantee you that nearly every successful player today is playing differently than they were, say, three years ago, because they've learned that certain things that weren't originally part of their play work better, and other things that were part of their play don't work as well. So I actually highly-encourage "outside the box" thinking, in this case, with the box being not-as-logical and the outside being slightly-more-logical. It's the same basic lesson I say about newbies and "beginners' luck" which isn't luck but rather a skill.

And while their process may be flawed, their ultimate conclusion ends up being right a disproportionately large number of times. Those exact same skilled-by-'accident' newbies become average or even sub-optimal veteran players, specifically because they lost what made them good: the ability to analyze something and come to the correct conclusion and NOT discard it because it goes against meta. This doesn't mean "go into confbias mode". It does, however, mean not to betray analysis on some faulty assumption. "Oh, nevermind, this can't be true because of *faultyreason*" is a pitfall I'm nicknaming the "veteran's curse". The factor turning newbie-luck into veteran-suck.

To put it another way...a newbie sees things from outside the norm. Just like a more logical player does. This is NOT a weakness, unless you're stubbornly refusing to accept alternative views. (In which case, yes, it does become a weakness because you're being an idiot by not recognizing that your alternative take can be wrong. :P) It's a strength. In the case of logic (rather than newbies), it's evident enough in the fact that games with logic being nearly-entirely-absent also being a breeding ground for easy mafia wins. Showing solid reasoning is a necessity for towns to win games, after all. So I can sum this up another way: the best players, once again, are those who do not fall under either extreme, in this case extending to logical playstyles.

A player who neither discards everything they stand for, nor upholds it beyond all reason. And that means that, boiled down, my ultimate recommendation to ALL players (more logical ones included) isn't to entirely discard any aspect of their play, but rather, to hone in on what you've got already, and simply adapt the concepts of it to be more effective for your current situation. If you keep my advice in mind, you'll be able to not only survive through mafia games, but
    thrive
    . Some of these tips may seem to contradict one another, but that's because each game is different; what works in one won't work in another, and what works for one player won't work for another. So playing around, fine-tuning, and experimenting are a must. Eventually, you hone in on what's most effective, and what's most effective for you will be different than for another.

And overall, if you recognize this, you'll do just fine. If you discard a narrow-minded viewpoint of the game, expand your view, be open to alternatives, look into some of the things I've talked about and pay attention to even more I can't cram in here, accepting the other parts of the game you've previously not used effectively, and you'll go from someone who can be mislynch bait into a damn-respectable threat.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #144 (isolation #20) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 143, Docthorr wrote:Are you still taking new students?
    Kind-of. I'm sorta going to be aiming for the new professor mafia award this year, and part of that reward is teaching. I don't like to SE newbie games, though (because I often usurp the IC), and my current mental health means that I don't make the best IC for a game. Which also applies to requests for critiques of games I wasn't in; my mental health means that I often don't have the willpower to actually read them and give that feedback.

However,
    I realized that the best teaching I ever did was in games outside the newbie queue anyway, for instance, micro games that I played in and gave feedback (extensive, useful feedback) to the players, in. And I'm planning on upping my game there, to apply it to every completed game this year to the best of my abilities. So if you play with me, I'll be able to give you feedback at the end of the game. Heck, if I'm scum with daytalk, I can give feedback in the middle of the game, though you'd only get the results at the end unless you're my scumbuddy. :P (I can offer in-thread feedback in the middle of a game as either alignment, but my advice in the middle of the game is going to be less reliable regardless of my alignment, because as scum I have an agenda and as town I don't have all the pieces of the puzzle.)

Sooooo, sorta kinda yes, I am.

With that in mind, I've slacked off with posting lectures that I've given from PMs and never got around to giving a general lecture for Ankamius. (As said above, the only way I'll be able to help Ank specifically is by playing a game with him.) Give me a moment to filter them for privacy and I'll post them.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #146 (isolation #21) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Double-lecture:

Handling Multiple Games;
    Suggestions For Exploratory Newbies

I received a request from a newbie about whether I thought they could handle multiple games or not. The answer is something that basically every successful veteran has intuitively found out, so this lecture
    is
    primarily for newbies, but it might contain good insight for them anyway.

In general, for amount of games, I recommend having a HUGE amount of buffer room. Sure, you can handle X amount of games NOW, but will you have that much free time two or three months from now? If so, great. If not, plan for the reduced amount rather than the current amount. An additional factor into this is always expecting something going wrong. You might have in your future schedule nothing that will reduce your amount of free time...but life happens; if something DOES reduce your free time, you need to have a buffer of free time available, to keep up with your games.

Additionally, games vary in their time commitment. Some games only take a few minutes a day--others, at least an hour. The thing is...those amounts can change. A game that previously took only ten minutes a day can later take an hour or two a day, and if you didn't plan for that, then you're screwed.

So not only do you have to account for external variations in games, but internal variations in your life, for scheduling how many games you can handle. Going into operations management terminology a bit here, but basically, think of free time as essentially being an "inventory". Inventories have a base cycle stock--free time, in this case. They have a buffer stock for external variations in customer orders, in this case, variations in time commitments that you need to make for a game. Then in addition to the cycle and buffer stocks, you've got the safety stock, to account for the internal variations in the company's production. Or in the case of you, how much free time you'll have on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

As a result of these factors...how many games a person can handle varies. (There's no universal guideline because everyone's situation is different.) Some can't even handle a single game, and require replacement. Some can handle only one game. Some can handle two or three. Some can even handle ten. It really varies from person to person. But the most important factor is to make sure you ALWAYS have enough time free so that if things get busier be it in-game or in your life or even both, that you don't end up neglecting any of your games because of it.

So, I fully encourage experimentation about your limits. The best teacher is experience, and if you keep an eye on it? You are the player who best knows what you can or can't do. (Though again, that requires you to be analyzing it consistently.) If you think you can handle two, good for you. Three, all the more power to you. Four, five, six, or more? You need a hobby outside of mafia games. :P Just make sure you're careful that you'll always have the capacity to play each game you're in.

Now, as for what you can expect in your explorations...as I said above, each game is going to be different, but different forums typically do have different requirements. Micros are going to be larger short-term commitments, larges are going to be larger larger-term commitments, to give just two examples. Which forums you hang around the most generally depends on your preferences and abilities. (Certain player types thrive in themes, others in more 'boring' setups.) They can also vary on circumstances.

For the average newbie player, though, some general trends to consider: theme games are typically tough to handle. It does depend on the playerlist, but often, players will give no sympathy to newer players, so you might get hostility beyond the normal for not grasping things. Additionally, even if they aren't hostile, they may still hold you to that higher standard, meaning that if you fall short, you're likely to get frustrated. Basically, theme games require not only grasping the mechanics of the game and the roles of the game, but also to have familiarity with MS site meta enough that you don't do something tremendously stupid. (Like, say, quoting your role PM, voting conftown, and whatnot.) There's often a reason moderators require previous game experience before signing up for theme games, and that's basically to give an assurance that you're competent. (And, sure, you think you are, but MS.net players--even newbies--are infamous for arrogance; most players aren't as much as they think.)

Large games are also VERY intimidating for a newbie to face, especially since posting rates in larges have exploded. Dead serious, people produce more pages in a large for a single gameday than the
    entire length of a large game
    from a couple of years ago. (Let's just say that if you have a place on the records page for largest game/gameday page-wise, it's not going to last for very long.) In 24 hours, you can produce more pages than a newbie game has in its entirety. (Can you handle 20+ pages in 24 hours? Those are surprisingly common.)

That's not to say that you can't play them. You can. Just go in with that type of expectation. I consider large games to basically be at least 2-3 games' worth of games, in that if my game capacity was 6 games, I'd only sign up for two to be safe. They are a serious, serious commitment.

So, Larges are intimidating, Themes fairly unforgiving, Large Themes having both trends combined. (It might be coincidental, but most of my favorite mods and favorite players hang around Large Themes. But it might also be that that's basically where the most challenge comes in as far as games go.)

Which is, generally, why the recommendation for newbies is to explore other places first. Mini normals are fairly forgiving, decently easy to grasp and newbies are often encouraged. It does take a certain degree of comfortability, and an expectation to face 'true' games, though. There IS typically going to be slightly more complexity than your average open games (which are
    the
    first non-newbie queue generally recommended for newbies expanding), and a newbie going into there might receive slightly harsher criticism from the players, there. (But less so than in themes--basically, the more "advanced" a queue is, the higher the expectation of each individual player will be.) Yet in spite of the potential danger, I still think it's a fairly safe environment to play in, especially since newbies are relatively common in that environment and the games ARE fairly simple to understand. It's an excellent place to help grow your talents as a player, to acclimate yourself to the culture here. (Though it really depends on who you're playing with. Bluntly, some players on MS.net are jerks. Others will greet you with open arms, and guide you through games. For instance, I'm the type of player who will give IC-type advice outside of the newbie queue, and there ARE other players like me in games.)

Basically, I can give you no guarantee of what you'll experience, because it's largely a mixed bag. Be prepared for getting harsh treatment and no "kiddie gloves" on, but don't fear the queue expecting that to be the response. That's basically the worst-case scenario, not the only scenario. Again, it's largely what you feel comfortable doing.

Opens aren't universally easier than mini normals, it should be noted; some opens have fairly complex mechanics. However, if the setup is fairly simple to understand, then they're typically much easier. And the players in there are much more forgiving, in my experience. Plus, it's a great social environment, where you get a mixture of the cultures of newbies and vets; a typical open game will have approximately half-and-half from my experience. Perhaps slightly more veterans, but still--a great place to meet veteran players, and mingle with other newbies.

Micros are a bit of a mixed bag, too, though. They have the guaranteed size of a newbie, but pay attention to the type of micro you're signing up for; the guidelines I lay out for each forum generally apply to the micros. Open micros are easy and have a fairly relaxed, open environment. Normal micros are relatively simple to understand, but quicker and overall easier than their mini equivalents. (Should be noted, though, that open/normal micros are the minority of micros.) Theme micros are more complex, so expect some difficulties if the mechanics/roles are more complex, but generally, thanks to the smaller game size, the mechanics won't be as crazy (crazy mechanics work better in larger games), meaning that overall, micros are another great place to look.

But I should make it clear, once again, these are just guidelines. They are not absolute, and are merely from my own experience. Your experience may differ, but this can give you an idea of what you'll be in for. Hope this can help!
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #147 (isolation #22) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 145, Nero Cain wrote:I'm jelly. I never got a pm lecture from you.
    Don't think you asked for one. :P
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #148 (isolation #23) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Lecture Title:
    On balancing charisma and logic

I should note that I will be keeping the identity of the player requesting the lecture anonymous, but that they are a player I consider to be more on the logical side rather than the charisma side. Now with that in mind, their basic request was for me to analyze them, and offer some feedback. My basic take on things was essentially this--

Charisma and logic aren't black-and-white have-one-don't-have-other. (Though...they
    can
    be. As an example, since Nero just posted in the thread, I can basically say that he has essentially no charisma but is a deadly-logical player.) Often, players have some (or even a lot) of both. Sometimes, to their detriment. Other times, their benefit. And one aspect of the request was in helping to make sure that having both would get the best of both worlds rather than the worst. Basically, though, how these two aspects manifest differs from player to player. Some have charisma that makes them look obvtown, but not convincing. Others, charisma that makes them convincing but places them dangerously close to a lynch. You can have both or neither. But generally, a player who is charisma-based has both (yet is more lacking in logic), and a logical player that's charismatic will have one yet not the other, because their charisma is essentially subservient to the more dominant logical side. Of course, this isn't an absolute, but I think it does give a general feeling for players.
    Good at doing analysis and picking up on the right things = both of logic.
    Good at lynching others and not getting lynched = both of charisma.

Players often have 2-3 specialties.

And this does tie heavily into my recentish MD thread on player roles, but basically, players of types do have tendencies. Logical players tend to be more prone to walling, and charismatic players typically have a knack for spamposting. Not an absolute rule, but a general trend I've observed. Even though charismatic players know how to wall, often, their posts are much shorter when using charisma. (The exception being convincing cases, which often go into detail--you can wall and still be followed, just so long as the wall is something that can be followed. :P) Vice-versa, too; I've noticed that logical players typically have longer (but slightly less frequent) posting.

...But they don't fit into these molds for the entire game, at least, not necessarily. In this case, if you consider a charismatic player to be a 'leader' and a logical player to be an 'analyzer', then it should be noted that the two players can often end up in different roles. A charismatic player wallposting is generally scumhunting, analyzing using logic. A logical player interacting directly with players in real-time is often not doing so to get a better read, but to try and bridge a gap between them and the player they're interacting with. (Again, these are generalities.) It's all circumstantial.

And this is the key to recognizing how players obtain the best of both worlds. If you're familiar with operations management, there's basically 'competitive priorities' and a 'triangle', where you can't have all at the same time. Basically the same thing. You can't simultaneously fill every role in the game that needs to be filled. You can't both be extremely convincing and extremely analytical at exactly the same point in time. (Even though you can have both, close together.)

So the people who have the best of both worlds are more accurately described as, well, the players who have the best of one world, and the ability to swiftly adapt to having the best of the other world. And when I think about games, that makes a lot of sense to me. That's what happens. They may have one, two, maybe three traits, but not all at once. They switch, as circumstances dictate it, for them to fill a different role.

Disclaimer:
    It should be noted, however, that my logic, I'm not necessarily referring to logic as traditionally defined. I refer to it in the sense of my lecture on the subject. Logic falls apart easily. Reasoning is much, much harder to master and manipulate. So nowadays, when I refer to logical-players, I'm mostly actually referring to reason, to analytical roles, rather than true logic.

My overall recommendation for the player that made the request is to not actively force to change anything about them, especially if the change isn't really them. It applied to them, but it also applies to basically everyone. I recommend players pay attention to circumstances, and to read the playerstates, to tell if they need to adapt styles and change roles. And that? That's the key to nailing it, to have the best of both worlds, the logic and the charisma in one neat package.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #149 (isolation #24) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 138, Ankamius wrote:2. How do I get caught up with the game better as a replacement? Walking Dead is a very good example of me failing at this.
    I'll tackle this one, since the third one is sorta-covered by some of my other lectures. (Including the one I just did.)

The basic advice I have is similar to my advice I gave to newbies, believe it or not. Know what you're getting yourself into. Larges produce pages at such an astronomically-high rate that it IS a fairly frequent occurrence for some poor souls to try reading, and to have more pages appear than they read, making them fall progressively further behind. Micros aren't going to be likely to have that type of problem. Themes are often going to require you understand some special mechanic and grasp it quickly--and if you have a role, to be able to use it basically instantly. (Sure, most theme games not in night will be fine, but there are plenty of themes that have usage of day power, and if you're considering replacing into one, be ready to be forced to pull a trigger on a role essentially on instinct.)

Most mini normals are going to be easy, and opens are typically going to be even easier, though it depends on the players. A great recommendation is to look at the game's total page number, the creation of the game thread, and the current day phase of the game. Between the three, you can get a fairly good triangulation of the activity level of the game, without even having looked inside to see the players and whatnot. If the activity levels are high, you're in for a long ride. If the activity levels are fairly low, you can probably get caught up in a single night, even if the game has a ton of pages.

But let's say you replace into a higher-activity game. A few things that I typically do:
    -I skip any proven townVtown fighting. That is, if a game has flips and they're town, no point reading their spouts; their alignment is known.
    -However, I will read the content of dead players on living players,
    -AND the content of living players ON dead players.

It makes reading a bit easier, especially if you replaced into, say, lylo. If you're on the middle of D1, though, you'll probably need a different approach.

One easy trick is to iso your predecessor(s), and take whatever's important from there. I don't recommend doing this and commenting on it, your alignment/role regardless. (You'll be accused of invoking some variant of the Amished tell, true or not, which your alignment regardless, is annoying to deal with.) But doing so gives you an idea of where your predecessor(s) were coming from. If you can see what they see from their iso, then you give some continuity with your slot, making it much easier to interact with all the other players.

You don't necessarily have to agree with your predecessor(s)--just let your attention be drawn to things that they raised. By doing so, you can get a jump-start on your own reads, by basically getting a feel for the gamestate.

Another trick is to simply ask for a summary of the game. Players giving the summary often do so with bias, but by reading their summaries, you can get a better idea of what they've seen, and by crossreferencing things, might get a better grasp on their alignment. (Or weaknesses, if you're scum.)

A third tip is to not bother reading the entire game--to read the early parts, the latest parts, and go from there. Frequently, the earliest section of the game is the most important anyway, and reviewing the latest section of the game is also very important and can get you quickly integrated into the game. If there's something you don't get, just ask for someone to give you the context behind it, and then read said context behind what they're saying.

A related tip is to basically track the votecounts if the mod has enough--I'd discourage from opening with VCA, of course, but I'm more talking about using the votecounts to track where players have stood throughout the game. It gives you an excellent sense of how things have developed, from just a quick skim. Player X was suspicious, but player Y became even moreso, and so on and so forth.

By combining these tips, you get a much better handle on things, allowing you to integrate and give content basically immediately.

What I don't recommend doing?
    -Reading the entire game if it's long. Nobody needs a ton of random junk thrown in front of them that's no longer relevant.
    -Not understanding the mechanic and asking others to explain it. If you replace into a theme, it's your job to understand things, and you're likely to be scumread for it.
    -Not reading at all. This gives you a disconnect with the other players, disjointing you from them which is bad regardless of your alignment. At least skim some of the game.
    -If possible, avoid discussing things that have been discussed to death. If you think there's something that was discussed that can be brought up again with a new angle, sure, yeah, that might be productive, but even then, you need to time it well so that your discussion on the old is not derailing discussion of something current.

I'm afraid that I can't really give many tips beyond this. Each game will be entirely different, far too reliant on context and circumstances for me to give you advice that will actually be useful for keeping up. But these might be able to help. Remember also, replacing into a game that's active means you need to have the time for that activity, and that's basically the one tip above all others I can think of that will universally aid you.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #151 (isolation #25) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 150, Metal Sonic wrote:read a few articles, and they're pretty good
    mastin is cool :]
    Thanks. I only wish I could be as actively involved with this as originally envisioned. (If I had my way, I'd be involved in every single MD thread that I could possibly contribute to, respond to everyone's posting in my own threads, answer every possible question and concern, and take it to the next level by actually following through and doing the teaching that I wanted to be doing. But alas, small steps.)

Edit:
    Every proper article has been linked to in the OP, as well as on the wiki page for the Academy. (Yes, I made a wiki page for it. It's not great, but it provides documentation.)

Additionally, I've copied every not-article-but-still-response I did to the thread into my notepad where I expand on these things, so I might be able to answer some old questions with new spins on them. (With luck, anyway.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #181 (isolation #26) » Thu May 15, 2014 11:34 am

Post by mastin2 »

Just thought I'd give a mini-update, in that no, I have not forgotten this thread. I saw Metal Sonic's request and will be answering it as soon as I've got the time to do so. (I've been tremendously busy as of late.)
    In post 155, Tr1ckster wrote:How do you handle the self-vote?
    Short version short, depends on the circumstances attached to it. In general, a nulltell,
    potentially
    town in select circumstances, but also not something particularly noteworthy.

Long version long, that will take some time to respond to.

So for the time being, have the guest speaker Zdenek's answer.
    In post 159, Zdenek wrote:
    In post 155, Tr1ckster wrote:How do you handle the self-vote?
    It's like everything else in mafia. You try to understand what the player is thinking in the particular circumstance to determine if it coming from a place of sincere frustration (or something) or if it's an act.
    In post 176, reinoe wrote:One thing I remember you writing is that you should have as many scumspects as there are scum or something along those lines. Now with the requisite ass kissing out of the way...

However in light of my recent Newbie1485 there was a point where I only had one scumspect. What should a player do if they have only one suspect? Or even worse, no suspects? The scum are too careful?
    We all know that sometimes people have off days or someone is just a VI. When, if ever, should you not pursue the lynch of the scummiest player?
    Similarly for you, when it comes to your two questions, I've seen both and will answer both as soon as I can.
    During a break in my class (i.e., right now as I type) is...not that time. :P

Soyeah. I'm not neglecting this; it's actually near the top of my MD works that I need to get on top on. (There's about a dozen MD things on my list, total.)

A very brief answer for the first--be honest about your lack of scumspects, and try working it out the other way, by tiering your townreads and more importantly, why they are. Who's your stronger townreads, and why? Who's your decent townreads, and why? Who are weak townreads, and why? And if you've got nulls...why are they null? Working your way through that train of logic will give you a surprisingly large number of answers, most of the time.

As for the second--again, full answer to come, but you should never be pursuing the lynch of the scummiest player, but the player most likely to be scum. The two are not synonymous; you can be most-scummy yet be town and most likely to flip scum yet not appear that scummy. Assuming you meant when not to lynch the player most likely to be scum, again full answer to come, but basically, it's when you have strong motivating factors to not do so: they've claimed a PR on D1, deadline's today and you're the only one scumreading them, things like that.
    In post 179, Docthorr wrote:What queue is a good way to explore the game and newb friendly?
    Coulda sworn I answered this one already. Brief answer is definitely the Open Queue, and Micro Queues (depending on their type) are often good as well. Mini Normals are a tertiary option, but more of a gamble overall.

(Soyeah. Not neglecting. Just busy.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #200 (isolation #27) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:14 am

Post by mastin2 »

I swear, everyone. The Academy is one of the things on my summer project list. I'm going to be getting to it, soon, and I mean that.
    But for the time being, not so much.

I did have a student send in a request by PM, figuring I was an expert on walling and asking me if I had any specific tips or if it was just something that took me practice to get good.

As it turns out, the answer's both. I figured it'd be something others could find useful, so I might as well post my response to them.

To be honest, I still struggle with formatting my walls to this very day. I've heard from many people that I'm friends with that my walls are amongst the most readable walls on the site, but they're my friends, and I still see a lot of people say (without joking) that they aren't going to read what I'm writing because it's a lot of words that they see as useless. So I'm still refining my technique. A few things that I've picked up, though, that might help:

-When I know that I'm going to be doing a lot of catching up, I will try to make things have a "flow" to them. Irrelevant things are placed at the top, and slowly transition into the more relevant topics. I also group things. Things about myself will be in the same section, things about townreads will typically be right above or right below that in their own section, things about scumreads will typically be the last thing I talk about in a post, regardless of post chronology. (For instance, I might have a post that quotes posts 65, 59, 28, 79, 90, 69, 40, 100, 20, and maybe even 79 again as a totally random example.)

-I typically break up my walls into multiple posts. While this does somewhat lose the above effect (in that groupings aren't quite as grouped as they can be), it makes the post look less intimidating. Typically, I go by arbitrary criteria: "oh, I've gone five pages on my catch-up, so I might as well post" as one set, and, "oh, it's only been one page, but I'm quoting and/or saying a lot of stuff on this page, so I should probably post" as another, and frankly, more important second one. (Heck, sometimes, if it's a really content-filled page, I can spend an entire post on half a page.)

-Both of those are assuming catching up on the game.
    Assuming you already are, the question which comes to mind is...is there a need to wall in the first place? Often, there isn't. You can do whatever it is you want to without walling.

-In general, it's best to avoid wall wars. Nobody really reads them, and it'll just make people assume an arbitrary "xVx", usually townVtown.

-When walling, I typically slow down and apply standards to my posting that I would for writing a novel: cutting repetition out whenever I see it. I never get it all the way there, but I try to even limit basic words, like repeats of "but", of "of", of "to", of "as", and such. That might seem like it's focusing on the wrong things to cut down...but at least for me, it helps
    also
    reducing repetition in key areas, often because by using synonyms or rewording sentence structure to remove that repetition, I'm also helping to get my argument more succinct.

-In general, I avoid making walls for cases...but should you deem it necessary, again, make things flow--you don't necessarily need to tell things chronologically; you can point them out in the order of their relevance. Let people see how one point leads into the others.

-This also applies to a wall for, say, asking questions. You're not telling a story, but you are asking for someone else to tell you one, in essence. (Rather, it's sort of a "fill in the blanks" type narrative.)

-Even VCA walls are like this: you're pointing out the votes throughout the game, and how they have unfolded, to tell the story of players' shifts and what you think that means.

-Quoting methodology also helps. Don't quote the whole post, nor meticulously break it down. Both have a high ignore rate. When I quote things, I typically group the relevant things together in what visually appears to be a paragraph or two, and then respond with a paragraph or two. I might quote a single sentence, but again, I'm quoting the entirety of a "thought" given in a post, so if I'm quoting only a single sentence, then that single sentence is either the only or contains the entire heart of the thought.

-Speaking of which, I rely on players having read some of the context, meaning I remove parts that are redundant in
    their
    posting. One common trick of mine is that if they have two separate but closely linked thoughts is to quote the first, address it, and transition my addressing into the second to serve as my conclusion for the first, thus removing the need to quote the second thought.

-A final trick is to recognize that paragraph length matters. In general, paragraphs that are too short make the post look much longer (and thus, more intimidating) than it actually is. (Which is one reason for the grouping of thoughts I do for other peoples' quotes.) I sometimes make that kind of post intentionally as a form of emphasis (line breaks serve as a VERY strong pause in speaking, stronger than a period would be), but in general, I want to have it condensed down.

...But be careful not to go the other way, which is even worse. A block of text is impossible to read. Paragraphs are your friend, not your enemy, and a good paragraph is neither a single line nor a whole short story. It depends on screen resolution quite a lot (and where the message ends up being posted; different forums have different 'widths' for lines wrapping), but at least on my screen, the paragraphs I'm making in this post are ~4-6 lines long, with 4 being a bit on the short side for the final display. (This paragraph was 5, and the above one four.)

Butyeah. Play around and experiment; you'll figure out your own personal methodology for getting your posting read.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #203 (isolation #28) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 201, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on what sort of environments favor town and what favor scum as far as group dynamics goes.
    Funnily enough, I'm working on something similar. An Academy response would be different, so I want to respond.

Academy responses, however, are...somewhat hindered by the computer I held my academy work on being on the fritz. :igmeou:
    In post 202, Antihero wrote:mastin!
    i need you to help me suck less.
    Hey, you suck less than I do!

I actually consider you one of the top scumhunters on the site. I'd definitely say top-ten. Maybe top-five even. Maybe I've only see you in your good games by some massive coincidence. But in literally every single game I've seen you be in, it's been YOU who's been the town MVP reads-wise. And PR-action-wise. I actually look to you for guidance scumhunting. If you need help, it's in charisma.

Just a quick assessment, of course. But that's been my basic experience: solid reads, decent charisma. Maybe I can help you be a little less vitriolic (hostility does you few favors), but otherwise...
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #222 (isolation #29) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 204, Metal Sonic wrote:will hydra with mastin some time.
    Yeah, 'bout that.

See that bit in my signature (signatures are important!) that says I'm dealing with mental health issues? They've gotten much, much, MUCH worse as of recently, and I have practically a 100% flake rate from hydras at the moment. You really don't want to offer to hydra with me. You CAN, I suppose, so long as you're under no illusion that the result very well may be effectively you soloing by the end. Butyeah, I'm having incredible mental health issues (chronicled fairly well in the speakeasy for those who have access there), which means that hydraing is a bad idea.

If I'm not playing in any other games, it becomes more viable, but since I currently am, bad idea to try. You never know, it COULD work out, I COULD stay invested the whole time, I COULD run a full hydra game, but there's no way to guarantee it, soyeah. Not a good idea to try, sorry. I WISH I could tell you I can hydra. I WISH I could say this is a problem that I can easily fix, but it's sadly not something that I can just say "hey, I'm not going to flake this time" and suddenly not flake.

In post 221, Faraday wrote:nah this was a troll thread
    Most assuredly not. However, Faraday does have the correct conclusion that my ability to help is limited. Not because of a lack of interest to help (as would be the case for a troll thread), but because I'm in no mental state to be of much help. Think of it this way: I'm a professor who is really, really sick and has to cancel quite a few classes, and bring in substitutes a fair amount of times. (You'll note that a fair number of times in this thread, people will ask for help, and get someone there who is willing and able to help. When they cover everything I could do, I'm not really needed for those things.)

When I'm well, I can help. When my supplies aren't lost (my old computer STILL has my notes and whatnot on it), I can give lectures effectively. In-between those times, however, I am unfortunately burdened by things that make teaching VERY difficult for me to do. :/ I sneak in teaching time whenever I can manage it, though!

In post 206, kuribo wrote:I'd like mastin to give me some tips on staying retired please

As the man says, you can check out but you can never leave. It's not really possible. I mean, I guess you could always ask the people who have already
    left
    how they manage to stay gone...... :P

But seriously. Even people who leave for ages tend to inevitably come back later. In part, I'd say that it's probably very largely thanks to how much of an impression mafiascum.net leaves on us. We don't think of it that much. We think of it as just being a site. Nothing special, nothing beyond any other site. But that's not accurate. There's more. Oh so much more. To it than that. The site is part of who we are. It binds to our soul. The best advice I can really offer to you isn't to stay retired, but to stop actively seeking the adventure. Get some MS hobbies aside from games. GD, speakeasy, GTKAS, the games subsection, Mish-Mash, heck! You're a competent MD theorist; I've seen your work. Get involved in that. It might not let you stay retired, but it'll offer you a distraction that reduces the temptation.

You can also simply stop playing except by invite. I basically have taken this approach, and it MOSTLY works for me; I don't overload myself. (That being said, given my current mental state, this hasn't been working as well for me as it once did. But it USED to work, until my mental health took said turn for the worse.) You'll still be dragged into games (hey, you're kuribo! People think you're a pretty cool guy, 'cause you ARE), but if you're not playing actively, far less than the norm.

In post 215, Metal Sonic wrote:Is there a course on "writing a good wiki page"
    Technically, yes. And there IS a page that gives you most/all (not sure 'bout it being inclusive) of the things you can do with the coding on the wiki. (And I do use the term coding, for lack of a better term, since it IS a bit like a language. Every site runs on slightly different methodologies, the MS wiki included.)

However, my best piece of advice when it comes to wiki pages is to pay attention to the formatting of pages you like. See how they're made, how they're formatted, and then simply hit the "edit" button to see how that section/page looks in code. By comparing the code, you can generally figure out what does what. It's basically how I learned to do my rudimentary coding for my articles. (I really don't use much. I use headers, I use links, I link to other pages on the wiki, I put in categories, I sometimes use indents for quotes, I bold, I italicize, and that's really about it. I theoretically can do more, but I've never had a need to.)

Basically, I suppose it really boils down to what you want to write and what you want it to look like. There are dozens of awesomely-formatted Scummer wiki pages, for instance. Some are even legendary for it. (UN for instance. General sentiment about him is "say what you will about his personality, but
    da-
    yum
    , he knows how to format a wiki page.") You can pick up a lot of tips and tricks just by observing and doing, in my experience. Basically, the best way to teach how to edit the wiki is to actually make edits to the wiki. You can experiment all you like on pages that are your own creations, so just go on and explore.

Now, if you have a more specific request, then I might be able to help. For instance, my articles are GENERALLY considered to be well-formatted. (I happen to think they're far from perfect, but are adequate enough to carry the message across.) Just ask, and I'll be there to help!

Soyeah, a tl;dr to everyone: many apologies to the neglect I've given when it comes to responding. My life is not pleasant, so I do what I can in the moments I can afford to.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #225 (isolation #30) » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Post by mastin2 »

So I decided to help out a prospective moderator-to-be and deliver some general modding advice. This is nothing groundbreaking, not in the least. Basically every veteran mod knows these instinctively. However, for the sake of players who have never moderated an MS.net game and are unfamiliar with it, I decided I might as well give a few pointers. Some advice to use as "research", if you will.

The road to modding on MS.net is achieved one of two ways: Opens, or Normals. Normals, you get practice designing games to meet mafiascum.net standards yet go through a review group (that I am, loosely, a member of); Opens you get to see games that have already been designed and how they work, to give you a better idea for the mechanics of games on MS.net. The net result is in both cases, theoretically, a moderator who has knowledge of how games work on here, so that when they run their "bigger" ideas, they end up working. (This is, incidentally, the reason we have the requirement of on-site experience for newbies before they're allowed to mod: the idea is that they'll have played a few games and seen their balance, so that when they design their own game, they have a much better feeling for what works and what doesn't, and what is standard and what isn't.)

This is all common knowledge, which probably any upcoming moderator quickly becomes aware of. As are some of the modding guides that I recommend reading. (In particular, Vi has made one or two that I strongly recommend moderators read. It might be
    a couple
    [
    Edit:
    The years fly by; it's four] years old by now, but if you read the guide in its entirety, it is no less valid than when it was originally written. Heck, a fair amount of what I'm saying is in there.) What might not be so common are tips beyond that, so some general tips that will help you on the road to moderation:

-Research games you enjoyed playing in, and see their setups. What made their roles/mechanics/etc. work? Really analyze it, and don't blindly try to recreate it. (This is especially true if meta has shifted since the original game. A game I loved playing in 2009 I made a homage to a year or two ago. The game had to go through EXTENSIVE review before it was passed by contemporary site meta as balanced in spite of the similar setup, because of the different times, and even though it passed the review, it still left people slightly unhappy because the balance wasn't perfect.) What made the game particularly memorable, what make it truly magnificent. Take good notes; this is often just as much a result of the moderator and players as it is the setup and the mechanics.

The idea behind research is to figure out what makes the best setups that you can make, while still retaining your own touches to it.

-Keep things short, sweet, and simple. Succinctness as a mod is greatly appreciated to all parties involved (with the exception of flavor), and the better organized and clear things are, the less work you'll have. (This is especially true when you ask for reviewers, or are in a queue mandating them. The better prepared you are, the easier and faster it will be to get your setup greenlit.)

-This applies to mechanics and roles, too! Generally, it's better to have a streamlined simple setup that doesn't have a ton of ideas in it rather than a complex mess of a setup that has a ton of ideas in it. (You can always save those other ideas for a different game!) This is particularly true of Normals, since the review group takes unkindly to a PR-heavy setup in a Normal. (Obviously, people don't really care nearly as much about it in themes.)

-I'd strongly advise doing some MD reading on roles that you're planning to use, and wiki searches as well. (Note that you want to avoid MAKING an MD thread about a role you're planning on using, since if you make said thread, people are quite likely to put two and two together.)

-Speaking of MD, a decent place to look at getting some quick insight into games is to look at the review group for Opens. There are a TON of very creative, unique opens designed on the site, and some of them are quite complex with some incredibly-customized mechanics/roles. Hanging around and browsing through there can not only give you inspiration, but via reading their responses, general ideas about how balanced/imbalanced said ideas are.

-One of the things you'll find makes the most successful games is being invested in the game, yet not being bossy. This is the reason why mods like bork are legends: they gave a "relaxed" feeling to their game, and yet they were always there, never apathetic. So when you run your own game, always be there. Give a votecount every page you can. Check in at least once if not twice every day at minimum. Keep players active, yet keep them entertained. Amusing bumps for top-of-page votecounts, for instance, are a good way to get people laughing in a good way. If you keep up on prods/replacements, and if you keep your players liking you, you're going to have a successful game more often than not. It can, quite literally, be THE very defining feature determining the difference between your game going down as a success and it going down as a failure.

So a basic summary of some tips that will work for modding in general are:
    -Keep things as simple as they can be.
    -ALWAYS be as fully prepared as possible.
    -Research in advance as much as you can.
    -Always be there, and if all else fails...entertain people.

Will these tips guarantee what you design won't be horribly unbalanced and a terrible idea to run? Heck no. But by following them, you'll get a much firmer grasp on how to stop that from happening.

Edit:
    Additional reading; Vi's (3-year-old, still valid) article on making enjoyable games.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #229 (isolation #31) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Yeah, just so newbies are aware, TSO is trolling; he is not me.

I'm coming back into the world of mafia theory slowly, and do still reference things here (in fact, I referenced the top-of-page modding thing to a prospective mod just yesterday), so the thread's not dead to the point where I'd lock it and questions are always welcome, be it via PM or in here. But I mainly give suggestions on-the-fly nowadays, giving bits and pieces of advice as the inspiration strikes me.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #232 (isolation #32) » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Post by mastin2 »

So I've decided here's as good a place as any to note that I'm starting my project to tweak my mafia theory. There's a few reasons for this, notably, that I want it to still be relevant, want to replace references to me being male to their appropriate gender, to streamline it, and frankly because the ideas I came up with back then are things that I could always use a refresher in. :P

For a start, I streamlined my article Stop Bussing.
    (I think there's still a little bit of repetition that could be removed, perhaps a tidbit of verbosity, and it could maybe do with some sections being removed as sections to shorten it still, because some of those sections are one-liners I could easily tack onto somewhere else and the ordering could maybe use some adjustment to achieve this, but I'm happy having gotten what I did.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #235 (isolation #33) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Btw, this isn't a full lecture, more like an addendum to my lecture to prospective mods, but basically, I have a plea:

"Keep things simple" should apply to as many things as you can (possible exception: flavor), which includes things like your rules. Many, many games have had incidents where a player either gets in trouble or gains an advantage they shouldn't have thanks to them not having bothered to read the rules...because they looked, the rules were too long, they skimmed, figured it was all the same, and left it be, not actually reading the rules which may be important. (Heck, I don't read the rules in most games I play because I do this, too.)

If your rules are over a screenwidth long, they're too long. People don't need to (and won't actually) read that much. Let's compare two of my games' rulesets. Both were Larges, with about the same number of players. This was an earlier game (a Normal):
    mastin2 wrote:
    LAY OF THE LAND
    (aka, the rules):

Thanks to Percy/Zwetschenwasser/Powerrox93/Substrike22/Amor/AurorusVox/Alduskkel which my ruleset borrows from, along with my initial reviewers DarthYoshi and AGar and later reviewers Faraday and AngryPidgeon, plus setup reviewers Empking, mykonian, & Cogito Ergo Sum.

Mechanics:

This setup is approved by Normal Game guidelines--as such, friendly reminder: flavor is just flavor. This game has a day-start. Everyone with night-talk may communicate during Pregame, but must stop once Day One has begun, unless otherwise stated. Day ends when either Deadline hits or a majority has been reached.

During the Night Phase, all roles with a Night Action must submit it before deadline; failure to do so is a No Action. If you fear you won't be around, you're allowed to submit an action in advance, and you are allowed to change your submitted night action any time before the night deadline.

Deadline for Day is 20 days, and Night 4 days (96 hours).

Voting:

Votes/unvotes are formatted as
    Vote: Alduskkel
    , requiring either to be bolded or using vote/unvote tags. If I understand who it's for, it counts. Colons and capitalization are preferred but not required;
    vote ald
    would be valid.

My job is easier if you unvote before voting and if your vote is on a separate line, such as
    Vote: DaMod
    ...But it's not required.

When a majority of votes has been reached, a lynch has occurred and the game goes into twilight; no further votes or unvotes will count. Players can also vote to No Lynch, requiring the same threshold as a player.

If deadline hits with no majority, the player with the most votes is lynched. If there's a tie, the player who reached that number first is lynched, unless one of the players had more votes than that recently. This exception means in the case of descending votes, the player who reached that number
    last
    will be lynched.

Death:

Upon your death, you're allowed one 'bah' post--the only restriction is having no game content in it. This applies to replacements as well; once formally replaced, you are out of the game and may not post at all.

Activity:

Treat this game as a devotion; you signed up to play, so actually play! Try posting content every day. If you don't post every 72 hours (3 days), you'll receive an official prod unless you declared V/LA. If you do not post for another 48 hours (2 days) (total of 120 hours [5 days]), or would receive your third prod, I will replace you. I also hand out unofficial prods on player request.

Don't be a jerkass:

This is a game--have fun and don't make your fun detrimental to others' enjoyment. Keep things clean and civil: don't invoke personal attacks and do not abuse emphasis or curse words; an occasional F-bomb is okay, cursing every other word is not.

Modding:

I'm a mod, not a god. I reserve the right to change my ruleset as needed, be it to correct a flaw or to reflect the gamestate (such as shortening deadline if the game has stalled). I am also prone to errors and if you believe one has occurred, say so. If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask; I'll do what I can to clarify.

Standard stuff:

No outside discussion on this game other than to me unless allowed by your PM, no talking about ongoing games, do not lie to me to gain an advantage in-thread, and do not quote mod communications (though paraphrasing is allowed).

Technicalities:

No loopholes! Follow the spirit of the rules, not the letter. When in doubt, ask.

Violations:

Though I am understanding and lenient, I do have my limits--don't push me. I will hand out warnings, I will force-replace, and if I have to, I will modkill, punishing the modkilled player in the most severe way possible.

Mod Colors:

<<< My mod colors are bolded
    pure-black
    green
    , and
    red
    contained within marks like these. >>>

AngryPidgeon, my co-mod, uses this color; avoid using it yourself.

Sample VT Role PM:
    Hello, and welcome to Large 164: Manic Street Mafia, *
    Playername
    *!

You are a
    Vanilla Townie
    ! Your only weapons are your Instinct, Intuition, Voice, and your Vote.

You are aligned with the
    town
    . You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and at least one member of the town is still alive.

Please confirm in the thread that you've read and understand your role PM. The game thread can be found here.

Good luck and have fun!
    Did you actually read all that? Go pat yourself on the back if you did, but I can tell you, I sure didn't.

Now compare that to the far more compact ruleset I used the last game I ran:
    mastin2 wrote:
    RULES
    :

• Flavor's flavor. Nothing more.

• Standard site rules are in place; you should REALLY know these by now.

• Deadlines:
      Days are three weeks (or until lynch); nights are three days (except weekend-nights which're four).
      This game uses plurality lynches.
      Ties are broken by the person most-recently the highest above the other (e.g. 5/4 becoming 4/4, or 4/3 becoming 4/4). No-lynching is possible, with the same threshold as a player. However, unless otherwise specified, failure to submit an action is a no-action. (I do accept them in advance and in PTs.)

• Voting
      must be bolded or in vote tags to be counted. If I recognize who it's for, it counts.

• I'll send out
      Prods
      after three days, but will poke players on request before then. They must post within two days and cannot let themselves receive five prods, or they'll be replaced.

• Have fun, but
      don't be a jerkass
      . (Really, in THIS game, you need to have the mindset of this being a casual game for fun, to be taken lightly.) Seriously, I'll force-replace you if you prove toxic to the game's atmosphere.

• MISC:

1. I do allow contentless "
        bah
        " posts with no restriction other than lacking game content.
      2. <<< Pure, bolded black within these marks is my modding color. There's no way to accidentally use these; DON'T USE THEM. >>>

3. Voidedmafia is my co/backup mod and will be assisting me when needed.
        He uses bolded red, so try to avoid that as well.

4. Golden rule? ASK! I'll do what I can to answer. Got a complaint? Raise it, and I'll do what I can.
      5. Loophole abuse
        will be treated just as seriously as (if not moreso than) the actual crime. Seriously. Just don't. The game's meant to be FUN, and if you're seeking loopholes, you're not in the right game. (For instance, I take
        very
        poorly to prod-dodges. Just announce V/LA.)

• SPECIAL GAME RULE:
      I 100% guarantee you that the information in your
      initial
      PM is correct. I also will guarantee that moderator answers to any hypothetical role interactions are as closely possible to 100% accurate as well. Furthermore, I guarantee no alignment/role changes. I will make no guarantees beyond that, thus, consider this game to be "bastard".
      • Seriously, by signing up to play this game, you're agreeing to throw out any expectation of balance or sense. This game's purely for the fun of it, so really, really don't take it too seriously. (That having been said, DO play to your wincon, please.)

VT Sample PM wrote:Hello,
    Playername
    ! You are a
    Vanilla Townie

You possess no powers aside from your instinct and your intuition, along-side your ability to express your voice and to vote.

You are aligned with the
    town
    ; you win when all threats to it have been eliminated and at least one town player lives.

Please confirm in-thread you've read and understand your role PM. Game thread's here.

Good luck, and have fun!
    That game was a theme, so it had some additional rule wording in it...yet instead of being two screendwidths like the first, it's half a screendwith long. It conveys the same information as the first ruleset (in fact having started out as one and the same before I started compacting and reducing it), yet does so in a fraction of the space. It's much, much easier to read and far more succinct.

If a notorious wallposter can do it, so can you. Cut the verbosity; we don't really need it. Just give us the essentials.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #237 (isolation #34) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Post by mastin2 »

That was enough to inspire me to see about doing some extra work. In this case, getting the wiki up to date on here. My lecture on Walling Format has now been turned into a wiki page.

The modding one I wrote can now be found in wiki format.

I similarly created an article containing my modding ruleset, because of how succinct it is.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #239 (isolation #35) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Well, I took a stab at combatting apathy two years ago, so you can try reading that for a start, but I have a feeling it's not going to help--it wasn't the most helpful back then, so two years later I can't imagine it'd be of much use. Worth a try, though. (Never know until you look.) In particular, the change strategies tip is probably worth a look.

I'll try to give a 2015 lecture on the subject, though, because it's still as big a problem as ever, and I
    think
    I can get some solutions. Some basic things that I will do when I become emotionally detached from the game:

-Embrace your status. You have nothing (or almost nothing) in the game. Own up to it, admit it, and then use this to your advantage. The very thing that is your problem can become your salvation. In short, because you are detached, you have a clean slate of sorts. Don't try to hold onto things. Use this fresh mind to form new opinions, and be unafraid of whatever you said prior to your detachment.

-That being said, you'll want to have something to produce. I will frequently give out "hipgun" reads when detached, where I will point out things that make me lean one way or another, but nothing too big, nothing formal, nothing I have an attachment to. The first thing you have to do to get rid of your detachment is to realize this is acceptable. It's okay to not have much direction. It's okay to be clueless. As long as you have something you feel is productive to add, even if it is a one-liner about a single person with a single post.

-It never hurts to do a readslist. For detachment, I generally don't do tiers, that being, town null scum, but I'll put a list in order that gives my approximate feelings on things. This helps others see what you're seeing, sure, but it's also a HUGE benefit for yourself, since it allows you to have a better grasp on your own holdings on the game. Yeah, you'll have a lot of names you don't know where to put, with their order hugely flexible, but again, simply vocalizing this can be of help.

-Sometimes, too much is too much. Very often, in games, I will give up on having read the whole game, instead reading only as much as I can tolerate. This may be "only new stuff as of this point". It may be "ten pages prior to this point". It may be only-isos. It may be scattershot, pages 1-10, 40-50, 78-93, etc. Some people can read entire games, and good for them if they can, but most can't...and even of those who can, most can't process the information in a productive manner. There is a certain point where there's simply too much information for us to handle, and we all reach it at a point, so know that you'll have one, and if you reach it...change approach to something you can better handle.

-When in doubt, skim. It's horrible to do, I know, but if you can't handle the influx of information, cheat. Everyone does it a little bit whether they admit it or not, so don't try to read everything. Pick up only the important parts.

-Relatedly, choose your battles. If you can pick up a few important parts, focus on those. If you can't find any important parts to focus on, then it's alright to go into a little bit of a blind flail and comment on a lot of random things. Anything that can help keep you focused, you should be doing.

-Recognize that you won't always have something to say, so whenever you try it might be forced...but don't be discouraged by it. I often can get away with not posting when I have nothing to say, but sometimes I can't and if you're the type who almost always can't, then this is something you'll need to do.

-Overall, one of the best tips is to remains as active and involved as possible, even if you've grown detached. Apathy is a horrendous monster, eating away at your soul, but if you keep up your activity, posting as frequently as you can, then generally you can do an okay job of keeping it at bay.

Sorry I can't offer you much better advice. It was true then, it's still true now; to this day, I struggle with apathy, so I'm probably not the most qualified to talk about keeping attachment to a game. But this is what I have, so take what you can from it.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #258 (isolation #36) » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 250, Micc wrote:A Guide to Focusing on Scum and Getting them Lynched.
    Its a pretty dated article, but definitely worth a read.
    Fun fact: ABR was in fact my IC. I respect his talents and his wisdom as a scumhunter, even though my style of play vastly differs from his own.

But more on the topic, I actually encourage reading ABR articles, because they are often quite solid, this one included. It may be old, but it is still every bit as relevant as it was when it was written. You might not be able to take all the advice, especially given current site meta, but you can generally keep the spirit of the message--prod and probe your target of interest and make them the focus. (The bit about doing so with absolute conviction is probably a bad idea in current meta.)

In post 242, Runner wrote:Could you recommend some completed games which you would suggest are good reading for newer players trying to figure out how to scumhunt effectively?
    Unfortunately not, for a lot of reasons. Among them being that a game which was useful six months ago might not be useful now, depending on the meta. There's also the fact that my recollection of games is abysmally bad. And even when I can name a game, I'm naming a game which was good for me--and since every player is different, that means there's really no way that anything I can give you will be of help.

For scum, it might be a little bit easier, but only marginally: I can tell you what I'm demonstrating with the link (for instance, linking to Left4Dead Mafia is displaying knowledge of situational awareness, and knowing when and how to bus), but there's no guarantee that what I link to will be of any help.

Players on the other hand, well, one thing you can do is look at the Scummies Nomination thread. (Scan through it manually; don't rely on the first post.) Read what the players nominating are saying about the players being nominated. It may be worth checking out the links, too, to see what they mean. (Or track them down, if no link is given.)

Generally, the players you most want to watch out for are the ones which you play with the most. As scum, you need to avoid letting yourself become transparently so to them; as town, you need to make sure you're
    keeping
    them transparent to you and that you haven't let them slip through. Always take caution of players you don't know who're on the list, though--they could be alts, giving you a nasty surprise, or if they don't get replaced, they may surprise you with their skill.

Really, the best teacher is time and games. The more you play, the more you can pick up on these things. For me, because I've played so many games with so many people, it's basically instinctive; I can automatically hone in on things. But I've played literally hundreds of games on this site, so it took a long time to get there.

A recommendation I have would be to play one large (especially a theme), while playing in micros and/or opens if you can handle two+ games at a time: the large game will give you exposure to a number of players and you'll probably find yourself not so out of depth relative at least to some of the other names, while continuing to play in the fast-paced micros will give you experience with games and players at a much faster rate than the larger, slower games.

That's really about all I can try to give you.

In post 245, Jake from State Farm wrote:Serious question, how do I get better and less tunnely?
    No easy answer for this, but an easy trick?

Drop any assumption you're right. In fact, it can help to assume there's a significant chance you're wrong. That openness may sound counterintuitive, but it will help you hone in on the "right" things--instead of blindly tunneling on a player so that everything they say is scum, you can pick up on the actually-scum things they've said.

But another key thing to keep in mind is statistics: there are more town than scum in a game. This means two things--first, you're more likely to be right on a townread than a scumread, and second, a player by statistics is more likely to be town than scum. So you shouldn't necessarily be focusing on what makes a player be scum; sometimes (in fact, quite often), you find scum by focusing on what makes them not be town.
    My academy.
    Agnigi
    mastin2
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    mastin2
    The Second Coming
    The Second Coming

Post Post #259 (isolation #37) » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In updates that nobody really cares about, I just revised my Interactive Tells article, though it may require some tweaking the further down I go. (I got progressively more and more lazy as the fatigue from working for so long on it set in. Took me a solid two and a half hours to rewrite that.)
    My academy.
    Agnigi

Return to “Mafia Discussion”