Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

I was in Ultimate Videogame Topic 2, and was reading post #15,720 when I decided that perhaps it's time to start a new thread. About videogames.

As of this posting, there are separate threads for Pokemon, Final Fantasy 14, League of Legends, and Minecraft. Please post in those topics instead, as appropriate.

Also, here is a video of Link rapping

-------------------------------

So, how about that Console War?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

Please, Brandi, no side conversations. Let's stay on topic here.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #180 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

Are we talking Telltale's Walking Dead in this thread?

Here's an album of screenshots from Season 1 featuring dialogue you probably didn't see:

http://imgur.com/a/UYgMN#0 (Durr spoilers)

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #196 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

In post 195, Umbrage wrote:Walking Dead was great until
the moment I realized absolutely none of your choices make any difference to anything. At the very least your actions should've been reflected in Clem's character.
Clem was the best part, so I'm still kinda hyped for S2.
This is a valid criticism of the game. Keep in mind, however, that this was Telltale's first time allowing branching pathways in a story.
In post 194, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 189, tanstalas wrote:The Wolf Among Us:

Choices I made:

Spoiler:
Gave Faith money
Defended Snow to Crane
Went to Toad's first
Did not prevent the Prince's death (Did you have to go there first?)
Grabbed Huntsman
Same choices as me. I think the last one is the only one I was really conflicted about in the moment.
Strange. I went for
Dee instead of the Huntsman, and I'm legitimately surprised more people didn't. I really don't think Huntsman is guilty nor does he have any useful information.

Also, for the record, I
didn't take Grendel's arm
, as I assume most people did. I also
didn't tell Beast about Beauty
, which will probably have ramifications in episode 2. I also didn't
hurt Toad

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #204 (isolation #4) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:57 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

In post 198, Umbrage wrote: Walking Dead:
I actually thought that's what they were doing with Clem, and that her personality would be determined by the choices you made and how you treated her, it would've been really cool if the final choice of whether she shoots Lee was made automatically depending on how you played the game
It actually is.
If you don't say anything, she will shoot or leave you based on your previous actions.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #233 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

I got my friend Sonic 06 for his birthday (as a joke). He played it for two hours, and let me tell you:

It's the kind of game you have to play to believe. Youtube video's don't do it justice. It's looks so much worse in 60 FPS HD. And the controls-- dear god--- they are so difficult.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #240 (isolation #6) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:42 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

In post 234, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 233, mikeburnfire wrote:I got my friend Sonic 06 for his birthday (as a joke). He played it for two hours, and let me tell you:

It's the kind of game you have to play to believe. Youtube video's don't do it justice. It's looks so much worse in 60 FPS HD. And the controls-- dear god--- they are so difficult.
The Game Grumps might just do it justice.
Those videos are good, but you seriously have to have the physical controller in your hands and be actively trying to manipulate the characters to get a full understanding of how jarring and unplayable it is. Everything is a hair-trigger, and all-too-frequently you lose sight of your character and become disoriented.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #321 (isolation #7) » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:53 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

In post 320, Hiraki wrote:
bv310 wrote:
Spoiler:
As a note, the "Chop off your leg and you're fine" thing is established in both the comics and the TV show as something that is done to a character successfully (Dale in the comics, Hershel in the show).
I'm not going to pretend I know the show but didn't we see Lee do this and it failed? I thought this was Telltale's way of saying that they're not into that voodoo magic.
Spoiler:
Lee didn't cut it off immediately, though.

Also, my choices for Season 2 are as follows:

Spoiler:
Everybody saves Christa, kills the dog, and forgives Nate. I gave the dying man water and went with Pete.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #418 (isolation #8) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

I beat Sonic 2006. My god, did I beat it.

Playing as Sonic? Hilariously terrible.

Playing as Shadow? Frustratingly tedious. Nothing but button mashing. He runs slower, attacks slower, and his vehicles are unusable.

Playing as Silver? Fucking Impossible. Seriously. Between the 'ball puzzle' that I never truly completed, and the boss battle where I couldn't even see my character, I'm surprised I completed the storyline.

Final mission? FUCK, it is TERRIBLE. You can't even imagine the pain. It's 7 quick levels in rapid succession, and each one is less than a minute long, but I died so many times-- suffered 3 game-overs (15+ deaths). But I finally did it.

Sooo... yay?

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #1095 (isolation #9) » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

There is some debate about the ending in The Wolf Among Us. Some people think the person at the end is
Spoiler:
Nerissa, who was galmoured as Faith in ep 1
Others think that
Spoiler:
Nerissa has been dead the whole time, and the Nerissa that you see at the end is actually Faith. That's why Doc Swineheart's test on Faith's corpse is inconclusive, and it fits the lore that Faith is a person who is experienced at hiding herself and her beauty.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #1478 (isolation #10) » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

Damn. Now I have to watch the first three seasons of GoT

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #1561 (isolation #11) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

FF6 IS amazing. The FF3 on steam looks like a new game, like a remastery of the original. I have no opinion of it, and quite frankly I am hesitant to touch anything Final Fantasy, since the last 10-or-so games in the series were crap. Boring protagonists, abhorrent stories, and uninteresting tedious gameplay.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #1675 (isolation #12) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

I agree with most of what you said, but episode 4 of TWD S1 is one of my favorites. The Crawford part played out almost like a classic Resident Evil game, which was a nice change of pace. And then there was that brutal decision on the belltower that splits the community 50-50. And finally, all the survivors each decide individually whether or not to go with you, resulting in 8 possible different scenarios for the beginning of episode 5. It was very well-done.

But yeah, season 2 had a phenomenal start, then got really mediocre in episode 3, and then really bad in episode 4. The biggest problem for me was just how linear the "game" was, with no decision having a lasting effect. There were other problems too. I'm still excited for season 3, but I hope it improves in quality.

mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #1682 (isolation #13) » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:27 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

In post 1680, Knight of Cydonia wrote:Anyone else pick up Life is Strange? It's installing on my Xbone right now since £15.99 is STUPIDLY cheap compared to what Telltale series retail at launch for on consoles, and it looks really fucking neat.

Yes. It's good. The time-travel mechanic is alright, but the decision-making is really good so far. There are some decisions with more than two outcomes, and I'm looking forward to episode 2. It has the potential to be as good as Telltale's stuff.

Return to “The Arcade”