Marathon Weekend (Closed until next marathon weekend)

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:58 am

Post by Cabd »

There is no formal in. The marathon subforum in the index will open up when the time is right.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:37 am

Post by PokerFace »

Mr Rogers: So what games you want to run this time?

PokerFace: I am not sure I want to do another Udrink or WITP. If enough people ask me to run them or are online for them, then I guess I will

Mr. Rogers: If you do another WITP, you shouldn't use AITPPPP flavor. After all, your side has never truly won

PokerFace: I do like my crazed imagination bastard games. Remember when I ran two bastard games each with 12+ people during one marathon special.

Mr. Rogers: It required alot of advertising. to get that many. You think you got the time and effort to do it again?

PokerFace: Not really, though I could do a sequel to one of those games?

Mr. Rogers: Your time traveling flavor was entertaining in Two Face Mafia though not enough to compensate for the lack of advertising.

PokerFace: People didn't know what they were getting into then. If I were to get around to ever running Time Paradox Mafia, I would have to see if there is still an audience for a game series with vintage flavor. I need to test those sort of waters exist with something more classic.

Mr. Rogers: Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?

PokerFace: There was a fad of Bad Idea Mafia games back in the day that got alot of people in a short time. Guns everywhere, people dying left and right.

Mr. Rogers: You have difficulty counting votes and keeping track of day kills in past mafia games. You will have to be sober, but even then I think running a Bad Idea mafia game will be too much to control

PokerFace: Then I think I'll combine the concepts of Bad Idea Mafia with the success I did have in the past...

Mr. Rogers: If you are running THAT gametype, you should realize its not mafia.

PokerFace: And the games during the Bad Idea Fad were mafia?

Mr. Rogers: I guess they all can be considered mafia if you make that comparison. And since you will be running it during a marathon special, people should not get too investigated in this type of crazy bastardness

PokerFace: Then let's bring in the title screen on the true sequel to Bad Reveal Mafia!

Coming to a marathon special near you its....
EVERYONE IS A SK MAFIA!

Everyone's Role PM wrote:Just as the title says. You and everyone else in the game is a serial killer. You can send one kill via private message to the mod each night. You can vote, lynch, and talk during the day. All deaths will be revealed as "XXX has died, he was a serial killer." You can also talk at night in the same game thread! Carefully pick your victims and make the right alliances. Be the last standing to win!
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Lina5731
Lina5731
Ninja
Lina5731
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Post by Lina5731 »

Great idea.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Post by PokerFace »

I have received some inquires about the game. Allow me to field them here

Q1: Am I missing something? Won't most days end in a no lynch?

Yes, I realize alot of days may end in a no lynch, especially earlier on. But then if you want a good chance of winning, i imagine some players are going to try to make deals with others. After all everyone is on the same playing ground so you will need to make deals to better your odds. Those with the most silver of tongues and means of controlling their reputations have the best chance. Consider it all a way of combing the aspects of survivor and big brother and mixing them with what it means to be an Serial Killer

Q2: I'm confused, How is this mafia?

All talking is in the game thread, so pretty much everyone can be considered part of a majority. However the actions you perform at night with your kill are ultimately decided by just you. So you are a minority informed with the whereabouts of your kill vs the uninformed whereabouts of everyone else's kill. Every death is being revealed as "XXX has died, he was a serial killer" so I'm not going to say who killed who and when until the game is over. You won't know when some one has made the concious decision to betray you until its too late

Q3: The equality of everyone being able to kill and be killed at any moment is going to very chaotic. This is going to be random lunacy and not much of a mafia game.

Sometime ago I came up with the idea of something called "Killing Spree Mafia". A small town version of Tarhalinder's Worst Idea mafia. The ability of each gun would be outlined. People would pick guns and then alignments would be sent out. I have not run the game because the effort of creating alot of balanced weapons is likly going to be outdone by the randomness of who picks a gun first, who gets what weapon, and what side they end up on. After all Tarhalinder's worst idea was a prototype of Unreal Tournament Mafia which was ultimately won by the mafia getting ahold of a broken weapon combination. So I have considered running my own prototype game, to gauge general chaos. "Everyone is an SK mafia" is going to be my prototype. I plan to add new aspects to this game type until it develops into a balanced "Killing Spree Mafia". So yes the game is going to be crazy, but after the beta, most problems will be weeded out :)

Q4: I think your game would be better if you allowed PMs outside the game between the players.

Yes, I have considered this possibility. The only reason, I have decided against it, is if I allow outside game talking between both players and possibly non-players it will inevitably take all action outside the game. The true entertainment of the game for spectators, those already dead, and the moderator will be lost. For the first running of this game, in thread talking seems needed for entertainment and testing. Should i run a second game perhaps I will choose to allow the outside talking there.

Considering what I have said here, some people might now ask "Aside from outside the game talk, what else might you add to the game in later runnings?". Something I may add to the game in later runs to control the general levels of chaos is something like a hurt and heal feature. Something simular to what's in Mr. Flay's War in Heaven Games. Basically I might allow players to send shields and not just kills. If you got more shields then kills that target you at night then you loose the shields and live. This variant of the game may need factions (town and mafia) and not everyone is a sk. Developing on the strength of the shields and guns you can send may be a more successful means of running "Killing Spree Mafia", but for now let's give the craziness of everyone being an SK a try and see what that nets us
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Mr. Flay wrote:unless the site is still glitching HARD on the 26th, I'm not planning on changing or cancelling Marathon Week. People need some happy.
Retired as of October 2014.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:52 am

Post by PokerFace »

I <3 Flay^

Tentative PF Marathon games schedule

12/26 7pm (GMT-5) Udrink 6 "Thirsty Thursday"

12/28 2pm (GMT-5) Everyone is a SK Mafia!

12/30 7pm (GMT-5) WITP 4
Last edited by PokerFace on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 am

Post by Wisdom »

Yay more WITP
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:59 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 253, PokerFace wrote:Considering what I have said here, some people might now ask "Aside from outside the game talk, what else might you add to the game in later runnings?". Something I may add to the game in later runs to control the general levels of chaos is something like a hurt and heal feature. Something simular to what's in Mr. Flay's War in Heaven Games. Basically I might allow players to send shields and not just kills. If you got more shields then kills that target you at night then you loose the shields and live. This variant of the game may need factions (town and mafia) and not everyone is a sk. Developing on the strength of the shields and guns you can send may be a more successful means of running "Killing Spree Mafia", but for now let's give the craziness of everyone being an SK a try and see what that nets us
I might also try two other kill limiting mechanics

Only person that gets targeted the most dies at night (This is same mechanice I used in Bad Reveal Mafia. Ties = both die)

Or I could mix it up and person with most and person with least (but not zero) die

I am running "Everyone is a SK Mafia!" in the Afternoon on the 12/28 for a few reasons. My other games are effectively 12am GMT. Europeans need the option to play one of my games. Also if first running goes well maybe I will re-run the game later that day while introducing whatever mechanic I think would improve it best. Beta Testing! I ran AITP games to gauge or beta test how WITP would normally play out. And now I will create a series of games with lots of deaths :) ! Killing Spree !
zabriel
zabriel
Mafia Scum
zabriel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:47 am

Post by zabriel »

Marathon days are best days!
Much Username
Much Username
Goon
Much Username
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 am

Post by Much Username »

Messiah Complex
Messiah Complex
Mafia Scum
Messiah Complex
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Post by Messiah Complex »

I've been looking forward to this since I joined the site.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

marathon day go?
green shirt thursdays
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:25 am

Post by Guyett »

so is this starting soon?
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Much Username
Much Username
Goon
Much Username
Goon
Goon

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:08 am

Post by Much Username »

Much anticipation.

Very wait.
yo dawg we heard you like memes so we put memes in your posts so you can lol when you lol
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:23 am

Post by PokerFace »

uhm... whats the hold up?
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:12 am

Post by Lucky2u »

The anticipation is killing me!
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:14 am

Post by BS2000 »

Just somebody mod a marathon game in this thread
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:26 am

Post by Lucky2u »

4p lyncher! Let's go!
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 am

Post by Who »

In post 266, BS2000 wrote:Just somebody mod a marathon game in this thread
In post 267, Lucky2u wrote:4p lyncher! Let's go!
/in

Seriously, when is Marathon Weekend going to start?
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:07 am

Post by Majiffy »

Stump
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:52 am

Post by KingdomAces »

While waiting for an admin to open the forum, I might as well ask for feedback on an activity ruleset for if/when I mod something this weekend.

Activity Rules

Replacements
if needed pause all deadlines until one is found.

Day:
  • Each day has a maximum deadline of sixty minutes.
  • If five minutes pass with no posts, deadline is automatically shortened to fifteen minutes remaining.
  • The mod has the right to shorten the deadline at their discretion, as long as there is at least a 15 minute warning.
Night:
  • The mod will send a mass PM to everyone alive at night start.
  • Each Night has a maximum deadline of fifteen minutes.
  • Night may end early if two conditions are met:
A:
All active PR's have submitted.
B:
One minute has passed after the mod notices that players have picked up the night start PM.

Game Specific Information:

Mostly just a reminder to myself to include the link to the Wiki, since I'll probably be sticking with opens.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:20 am

Post by Jingle »

You might want to add something about how often a specific player has to post, but otherwise it looks good.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:42 am

Post by PokerFace »

I won't be available to run a game tomorrow so in case things don't get opened tonight I'm gonna move Udrink 6 to saturday

NEW Tentative PF Marathon games schedule

12/28 2pm (GMT-5) Everyone is a SK Mafia!

12/28 7pm (GMT-5) Udrink 6

12/30 7pm (GMT-5) WITP 4
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Post by Who »

It's almost the 27th.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?