Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:38 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 848, quadz08 wrote:It does seem a tad easy, but that might be because there were only two of us. (Although, the game booklet has some suggestions to increase the difficulty, and we've come up with a few cards we could conceivably remove from play to up the difficulty.) It might be a different story with 4 or 5 players, though. And regardless of difficulty, it seems very well-designed, and is both fun to play and has billions of replay value (and lots of built-in room for expansions as well).
When watching a review for it, I heard that's the case (although it was said that the expansions up the difficulty by a super lot, so I guess there's always that down the road)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Post by Aegor »

Been having lots of fun with Terra Mystica. For those who enjoy Eurogames, this is the best one in years.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Smash Up
is fun, but holy SHIT are the rules written terribly. Too much emphasis on being 'hip', not enough on things like clarity. Once you play a game or two it goes fast and is fairly intuitive (especially if you've ever done something like Magic), but I kinda wish the winpoint was set at 20 rather than 15. Seems a little random and kept taking us off guard that the game was already over (especially since there are 16 bases to smash, and the most we ever saw was 6).

No one has won
Mr. Jack
as the Ripper yet... we screwed up and cleared one too many players Turn 1 in the last game, but overall it seems difficult for Jack to win. I could have gotten out Turn 3 if I'd been able to get away from being observed, but I was stuck by a lightpole, 2 squares away from the exit...

Got
Timeline
and
Timeline: Historical Events
for giftmas, but going to try to exchange it for
Chrononauts
(based on the excellent time we had playing it at the Portland minimeet, thanks Sudo). Timeline looks like it will suffer badly in replayability.

Also we played
The Resistance
finally last night, after having enough people present. Definitely a better game with the Plot Card expansion, it's nearly random in the basegame).
Retired as of October 2014.
xtopherusD
xtopherusD
Goon
xtopherusD
Goon
Goon

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by xtopherusD »

So I played "Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game" at a friend's place the other day with a bunch of comic nerds. I was that one guy who had no idea about the subject matter and just recognised the Avengers and X-Men :oops:

Lots of fun. We had three players who had played it before, one who knew the Marvel stuff but hasn't played any deck-buildings, and I practically knew the mechanics from the similarity to Dominion - and it was equally enjoyable for all of us. It's one of those cooperat-ish games where you all lose together, but if you work together to win, one of you wins "best" and the others still lose. So, naturally, I got to throw the game as soon as someone else was about to take it all.* Never play cooperatish board games with me, apparently.
* It was the second round we played, and this was after a certain game of Arkham Horror where he made sure everyone else was moving through R'Lyeh before winning the game without us. I think we're even now.

I haven't played many deck builders at all but it had good unique play as far as I'm aware. I'd get it myself if other people would play games with me :?

EDIT: Another thing I like about this style of games is that the majority of the rules is found on the cards - same as games like Killer Bunnies or Munchkin. Helps new players get in without an hour of explanation of how
absolutely everything
works.
no.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

I found Legendary to be alright but if I'm playing a co-op Superhero game I think I prefer Sentinels and if I'm going deck building them I prefer competitive and Ascension, worth having around but not something high in the rotation.

Galazy Trucker on the other hand was a whole lot of fun and in our second playthrough I beat a bunch on Engineers in the ship building game so that was also a positive.

Finally, we finally got Eclipse added to the collection, as expected the first playthrough was immensely long as we figured out the nuances of the game but it seems like the top end game it's supposed to be. Only issue is that like Power Grid it takes so long I'm not sure how much regular play it'll see which could be a shame.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Post by Aegor »

Eclipse is excellent, though expensive.
M A S Q U E R A D E
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

Glork and I have been playing a good amount of Legendary the past few days. We lost our first game yesterday. We were playing the Superhero Civil War scheme (scheme twist KOs the HQ, and you lose when the hero deck runs out), and we added an extra twist to the deck and gave Loki an extra strength point to bump the difficulty. The heroes we drew weren't great at punching things (Gambit, Iron Man, Cyclops, Captain America (I think)), so we never got enough attack to actually fight Loki at any point. >_>
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Got Battlestar Galactica for Xmas, as the group I used to play with at college is everywhere now. Still as fun as I remember it in college.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Commune got a few new additions for Christmas:
King of Tokyo: Pretty fun for a filler game, a little bit basic, though.

Space Cadets: Holy shit. I'm glad Gamma knew what was going on because the rest of us were thoroughly confused by all the little moving pieces of the game, but I guess the beauty of it is that it's a very complex co-op game where you only need to know how to do your specific mini game. Really enjoyed it... first co-op game I've ever really enjoyed.

Masquerade: Beautiful little game.

Also got some Netrunner datapacks
green shirt thursdays
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Post by imaginality »

Got
Tigris and Euphrates
after playing it online a bit (at gametableonline). I'm falling in love with this game and wish I'd got into it earlier, can't believe I let it slip by so long. Elegant rules leading to tactically deep gameplay. Some people on boardgamegeek see the theme (development of early civilisations) but to me the ebb and flow of the game feels very in line with its theme. and the rules feel thematically justified. The merging of euro scoring and mechanics with direct conflict also tickles my tastebuds. I suspect this could become my favourite modern boardgame.
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:58 pm

Post by Aegor »

In post 859, imaginality wrote:Got
Tigris and Euphrates
after playing it online a bit (at gametableonline). I'm falling in love with this game and wish I'd got into it earlier, can't believe I let it slip by so long. Elegant rules leading to tactically deep gameplay. Some people on boardgamegeek see the theme (development of early civilisations) but to me the ebb and flow of the game feels very in line with its theme. and the rules feel thematically justified. The merging of euro scoring and mechanics with direct conflict also tickles my tastebuds. I suspect this could become my favourite modern boardgame.
It is comparatively old for a popular Eurogame. I really enjoyed it, although I am the only one in my group who did. The theme appealed to me, and I, like you, found the gameplay to compliment it perfectly.
M A S Q U E R A D E
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 852, Mr. Flay wrote:Got
Timeline
and
Timeline: Historical Events
for giftmas, but going to try to exchange it for
Chrononauts
(based on the excellent time we had playing it at the Portland minimeet, thanks Sudo). Timeline looks like it will suffer badly in replayability.
The replayability comment may be true, but to date I've really enjoyed Timeline - having played it on 6 or 7 occasions. I think it's more interesting than Chrononauts, which I've only played once but found pretty generic. Obviously your tastes may differ.
In post 852, Mr. Flay wrote:Also we played
The Resistance
finally last night, after having enough people present. Definitely a better game with the Plot Card expansion, it's nearly random in the basegame).
Again, this is the opposite of my experience! I think the basegame works really well, there's so much more information to go on than there would be in a mountainous mafia game; whereas the plot cards make things a bit too zany imo.

Recent acquisitions here include:
Forbidden Island
, have enjoyed many games of this already, it totally lives up to the hype. Reminds me a lot of Pandemic, but lighter and quicker. We've only lost once though, and that was on Legendary difficulty.

Rivals of Catan
, the 2-player card game, a bit more complex than Settlers, good depth and seems well balanced.

Agricola
on the iPad (£2.99, I think it's on offer right now) - well worth it imo, it's a fraction of the price of the board game, and takes away all of the administration hassle. Also, the Solo challenge mode is a lot of fun, and quite different in feel compared to the multiplayer game, as you can plan moves ahead and develop your farm more easily.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 861, Fenchurch wrote:Reminds me a lot of Pandemic
Same guy designed both.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Post by Chevre »

We were able to go to our game store's New Year's Eve party! We only played two games though, at least they were both new: Ticket to Ride, which I've been telling them about forever but we never got around to playing it, and by now I somewhat figured we were beyond it, but it was actually a lot of fun. One of my friends lucked out with an opening draw of two nearly similar cross-country routes, and that was practically unbeatable.

Then we tried Kingsburg! They seemed interested by the concepts, but overall it got an "okay" and "wouldn't get played often" if we owned it. I liked it a lot, but I guess now we have to somehow find a copy of 7 wonders to try out, or maybe look at other games.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 861, Fenchurch wrote:Forbidden Island, have enjoyed many games of this already, it totally lives up to the hype. Reminds me a lot of Pandemic, but lighter and quicker. We've only lost once though, and that was on Legendary difficulty.
you only lost once? on legendary?

teach me your wayyyyyys
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Post by Faraday »

I think having played that and forbidden desert recently I prefer forbidden desert - it's slightly more challenging (I won forbidden island the two times I played it, fairly easily both times actually - although I'm sure legendary would be...difficult).
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 am

Post by quadz08 »

Maybe I just suck at forbidden island, but I'm pretty sure we never won when you played with me, Faraday.
Eddard Stark
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Eddard Stark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #867 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 am

Post by Eddard Stark »

We won with chamber, though. (And the first time I'm pretty sure it was just impossible to win given where we started, and the fact we got fool's landing sunk + a waters rises + it removed almost immediately before we could shore it up).

When I played it last week though we won fairly comfortable and it never seemed like we were gonna lose, either. *shrug*
War has arrived!

PM me for Dead QT access!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #868 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Huh. Maybe we just had bad luck, then
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #869 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:27 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I don't get how co-op games are enjoyable
green shirt thursdays
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #870 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 am

Post by Nexus »

If you play with a bad loser they are.

Also it always feels really tense. Idk how to explain it.
Trans rights are human rights.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #871 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:02 am

Post by Shmugen »

If you have non-competitive friends, you can actually get them to the table with co-ops. If we win we all can talk about it fondly, if we lose we can all gripe, and if someone is not having fun we can cheat a little to spice it up.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #872 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Post by Brandi »

In post 869, xRECKONERx wrote:I don't get how co-op games are enjoyable
A LOT Of co-op games suffer from "everyone do what that ONE GUY says and we all win, no making your own decisions because they might not be the most efficient, wow we won that was easy, YAY!" syndrome.
Pandemic is a huge offender, and IMO is one of the worst co op games out there.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #873 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Post by Mina »

Isn't that more a function of your group than the game itself? I didn't have that problem with Pandemic. (Granted, we were only two players, and won really easily both times we played.) I like co-op games because I enjoy working as a team and discussing our next move together.

Either that, or I'm secretly the bossy one everyone hates, and they're all just too nice to tell me.
Last edited by Mina on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #874 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Post by Mina »

In post 870, Nexus wrote:If you play with a bad loser they are.

Also it always feels really tense. Idk how to explain it.
Yeah, as maligned as
Arkham Horror
is, what I like is the creeping sense of dread as the Elder Track advances and monsters fill up the board. It's an actual challenge (unless we accidentally place too many clue tokens like at
Balto Meet
), and feels like a huge accomplishment to beat, particularly if it's by defeating the Elder One.

Return to “The Arcade”