Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2800 (ISO) » Mon May 05, 2014 5:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Even though all of the Craster's Keep stuff was glorified filler, it still felt REALLY satisfying to me. Game of Thrones is a series that revels in the grey area between good and evil. Sometimes, it can get really draining to watch and you just need a quick pick-me-up of vengeance and justice to keep you going. The Craster's Keep stuff was all really contrived, but DAMN if it wasn't satisfying. Watching Hodor straight up break Locke's neck was fantastic; watching the Night's Watch show up and start slaughtering people was cathartic; watching Jon Snow plunge a SWORD THROUGH THAT ASSHOLE'S FUCKING MOUTH was fist-pumpingly good; watching fatass get mauled by Ghost was a sweet, sweet cap to the events. YES, I know it was all relatively pointless, but I was cheering and clapping through all of it just because they had built up the hatred for these guys so well. (Nobody fucks with my Hodor; NOBODY!)

The rest of the stuff was all rather okay, I guess. I especially liked the Lysa/Sansa/Littlefinger/Robin stuff at the Vale, as I've always been fascinated by the geography of that area. I really like how they dropped the bomb this episode that LF convinced Lysa to poison Jon Arryn and then write Cat to blame the Lannisters. I thought they would hold off on that little tidbit, so it was refreshing to see them drop it so soon instead of play it up for awhile.

Arya/Hound and Podrick/Brienne are such excellent pairings that it doesn't matter WHAT they're doing, I'm going to love their scenes. Podrick is so fucking adorable, too, so that helps.

No Tyrion, no Jaime, no problem! The episode was pretty great for featuring the characters we don't usually see a lot and I like that it seemed to flow pretty well. Cersei's scenes trying to manipulate the judges were great (Margaery's scene was acted perfectly by both Lena Headey and Natalie Dormer). I think they're misusing Oberyn a bit, though... like, every scene so far he's doing one of two things: making sex eyes at someone, or complaining about his dead sister. We get it. You don't have to remind us literally every episode, because it starts to sound like a broken record.
green shirt thursdays
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2801 (ISO) » Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2800, xRECKONERx wrote:Watching Hodor straight up break Locke's neck was fantastic;
<snip>
(Nobody fucks with my Hodor; NOBODY!)
That was really warg!Bran tho
In post 2800, xRECKONERx wrote:Cersei's scenes trying to manipulate the judges were great (Margaery's scene was acted perfectly by both Lena Headey and Natalie Dormer).
ooooooh right :idea: Thats what was going on there. Tyrell and Martell are judges also. derp. I was wondering what was going on with cersei that episode, especially the being nice to Margaery part.

One thing thats starting to kind of bug me is the whole "slice Bran's leg to remind us / prove to someone he's paralyzed" bit - I mean, he might not be able to feel anything, but no one is treating those cuts and they would be bound to get infected.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2802 (ISO) » Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Post by Seacore »

I don't think Locke would be too concerned with infection.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2803 (ISO) » Mon May 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Post by Seacore »

Reck, please come join me in the book thread.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2804 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 3:04 am

Post by Venmar »

Locke cut brans leg to see if he was crippled, and as a result actually Bran Stark, not for fun or to infect him.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Yates
Yates
Jack of All Trades
Yates
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2805 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 3:07 am

Post by Yates »

I agree with literally everything Reck just said and could not have said it any better. I don't feel like that episode did all that much to progress any of the random story lines branching off but boy was it fun to see the slaughter.
Coming soon: 50 Shades of Null
Please pm me to pre-in
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2806 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 3:47 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2802, Seacore wrote:I don't think Locke would be too concerned with infection.
In post 2804, Venmar wrote:Locke cut brans leg to see if he was crippled, and as a result actually Bran Stark, not for fun or to infect him.
umm I know?? I'm not talking about Locke, I'm talking about it just being a device used by the writers to show someone or the viewers bran is crippled. Just because Bran can't feel the injury doesn't mean that getting his leg gashed open wouldn't be a serious wound in the world of GoT. This is at least the 2nd time his leg has been sliced open (that I remember, there probably were more) and the wounds have been more than just scratches. Nearly every other time a character gets a cut in the series it is major - some characters die from the infection, others survive after being treated by maesters or pouring boiling wine on the wound. But bran is crippled and can't feel pain so he can get cut and won't bleed out or get infected, its all good.
(and since it seems to be missed, this wasn't an entirely serious point anyways :p)
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2807 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Post by Seacore »

It's happened once before that I can think of Rhinox, when Osha and the other wildlings attacked him on horseback. Immediately after that he was able to be seen by Maester Luwin, who is established as a maester of some skill.

I agree that it could get a bit lazy for the writers, but it was an instrument here for Bran to immediately understand that Locke was not his friend.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #2808 (ISO) » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 am

Post by AniX »

In post 2807, Seacore wrote:It's happened once before that I can think of Rhinox, when Osha and the other wildlings attacked him on horseback. Immediately after that he was able to be seen by Maester Luwin, who is established as a maester of some skill.

I agree that it could get a bit lazy for the writers, but it was an instrument here for Bran to immediately understand that Locke was not his friend.
As well as an instrument to show Locke knew exactly who and what he was looking for.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2809 (ISO) » Wed May 07, 2014 7:14 am

Post by Venmar »

I don't think Locke particularly needed Bran alive, so infection probably wasn't on his priority list. He was probably taking Bran away from the keep so he could kill him somewhere remote, so Jon wouldn't find the body after the battle.

But yeah, I think I agree with the sentiments here, it just made sense from a story POV I think.

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Yates
Yates
Jack of All Trades
Yates
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2810 (ISO) » Wed May 07, 2014 7:24 am

Post by Yates »

I guess it didn't bother me as much as it appears to be bothering some of you. It's not at the same level as the "let's split up" schtick in horror movies, by any means.
Please pm me to pre-in
Yates
Yates
Jack of All Trades
Yates
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2811 (ISO) » Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 am

Post by Yates »

Also... Hodor.

Spoiler:
Please pm me to pre-in
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2812 (ISO) » Thu May 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Post by Venmar »

Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2813 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 2800, xRECKONERx wrote:I think they're misusing Oberyn a bit, though... like, every scene so far he's doing one of two things: making sex eyes at someone, or complaining about his dead sister. We get it. You don't have to remind us literally every episode, because it starts to sound like a broken record.
To be fair that's about all I recall him doing in the books at this point.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2814 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Emmy, please.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2815 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I would watch one thousand episodes of Law & Order: Westeros.

This might've been the best episode of the season so far. I feel like it was tight and every scene packed a punch. I cannot complain about any of it.

Dany's storyline is finally seeing some character growth!

Yara finally did something and we got to see a new dynamic in the Reek/Ramsay relationship!

Peter Dinklage won ten Emmys!
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2816 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

EBWOP: oh, and Mycroft/Davos was a fantastic scene and finally brought a great Stannis moment this season, as I've felt his whole storyline has been severely lacking. Probably won't hear from him again until E9.
green shirt thursdays
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2817 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by Iecerint »

The ironborn
running from puppies
was the only lame part.

Like, I understand that it is rational, but it both didn't make sense that they would be able to get away, and it seemed out of character that
puppies
would make them run away given what we know about them.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2818 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Post by Aegor »

Totally agree, Reck. I think this was arguably the best non-climactic episode of the show.

The Iron Bank scene was absolutely fantastic in both script and acting. Dany's sequence elegantly introduced a lot of issues that will only get more important for her over time and, as you mentioned, serve as challenges by which she can grow as a ruler. Saan's and Yara's returns were very welcome.

Tyrion's breakdown at the end of the trial is certainly Emmy-worthy, but Conleth Hill should not be forgotten. Every line he speaks is gold. I particularly enjoyed his scene with Oberyn.

Honestly, Varys/Conleth Hill is consistently the best part of the show for me. He also has the most developed and interesting personal philosophy, although the writers are really improving in that regard (Brienne, Jaime, Tywin, Daenerys, etc.).
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2819 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Post by Aegor »

In post 2817, Iecerint wrote:The ironborn running from puppies was the only lame part.

Like, I understand that it is rational, but it both didn't make sense that they would be able to get away, and it seemed out of character that puppies would make them run away given what we know about them.

The ironborn running from puppies was the only lame part.Like, I understand that it is rational, but it both didn't make sense that they would be able to get away, and it seemed out of character that puppies would make them run away given what we know about them.
Yeah, I was not sure why they did not just chop the crap out of
the puppies
. I assume that if they had a made a stand,
Ramsay's soldiers
would have attack them while distracted. But it was just very odd.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2820 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2817, Iecerint wrote:The ironborn
running from puppies
was the only lame part.

Like, I understand that it is rational, but it both didn't make sense that they would be able to get away, and it seemed out of character that
puppies
would make them run away given what we know about them.
The dogs are also much more "ferocious" and terrifying in the books I feel versus just being dogs in the TV show (kind of how the first season was like OMG DIREWOLVES and the representation didn't really do them justice).
green shirt thursdays
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2821 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Post by Venmar »

Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg just finished A Feast For Crows. The last few chapters were
really WTF

When I finish ADWD I will feel like I am on top of the world, book thread and /r/GoT will await my spare time

Oh, and yeah, Dinklage is fucking amazing.

evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2822 (ISO) » Sun May 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Post by evilpacman18 »

yeah I think best episode of the season easily.
Stannis' last two appearances have been playing to the strengths and differences of the two advisors on his side
with Tywin's speech to Tommen about how wisdom is essentially knowing when to really on the people who want to see you do well (assuming Melisandre isn't playing him)
and also Tywin's speech about how even Tywin Lannister is afraid of the Iron Bank
who are now backing Stannis to an extent I don't know yet but will obviously be helpful
and with Theon set to betray his family because how badly Ramsay has broken him
which will probably result in the death of Balon Greyjoy

I'm looking forward to Stannis' rise to power again. He does have the best claim to the throne, I'm really on his side so it's nice for me at least that so many things are pointing towards his success.
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2823 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 3:55 am

Post by Faraday »

Last 2 weeks have been strong.

Tyrion scene was obviously good. Really enjoyed Varys/Oberyn, tho as well as DAVOS. Very good episode overall.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #2824 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 am

Post by AniX »

My favorite part of that episode was when Varys was confirmed asexual, thereby cementing him as the Prince That Was Promised, AND the Stallion That Mounts the World, AND Azor Ahai reborn. It's all confirmed.

My faith was tested, but never wavered, when others suggested the only reason he didn't have sex was because no penis. I knew in my heart that even before, he didn't like girls and boys.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “General Discussion”