Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

No it probably means you dislike this type of game. >_>

If you find this inaccessible or too complex, it's probably the simplest one as far as getting information goes. Game of Thrones is like this one on steroids with the complexity, and there's way more information to take in... the only thing you'd have to know in this one is what each power tile does and I think that'd come with time (especially since you can generally know "creatures give buffs, there's a Hand of God tile in each color, there's a VP tile in each color" etc). Smallworld is probably the closest thing to being "kind of sort of like Kemet but not really" that I think you enjoy.

The one thing I disliked about Kemet was that it felt like nothing really mattered... I couldn't see the advantage in long-term holdings or trying to plan elaborate troop movements, and upon reflection that's because it's not a war game/troop movement game. The map/board placement is there for window dressing, but this is essentially a resource management game with a combat minigame mixed in, and that's not a bad thing, it's just not what I was expecting on first glance.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

tldr: With Kemet, I was expecting Game of Thrones with Egyptian Gods, and what I got was something closer to Terra Mystica, where board control is incidental to your engine building/economic strategy.
green shirt thursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 am

Post by quadz08 »

Fair enough, you'd know better than me.

I think dislike might have been a strong word; 'ambivalent' might be better. It's not my first choice, but if the other 4 people I was hanging out with really wanted to play, I wouldn't turn it down, I guess. Similar to Seven Wonders in that way for me.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Man you like weird games. Nobody dislikes 7 Wonders!
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 am

Post by chamber »

My whole group dislikes 7 wonders now more or less. Game play got very boring very fast.
Taking a break from the site.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:48 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like 7 Wonders, but I've only played it 3-4 times, so maybe the repetitiveness hasn't gotten to me?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:08 am

Post by zoraster »

7 wonders is great. I think the cities expansion offers a lot of additional variety though. the leaders expansion kind of does too, but in a less essential way that makes the game a little longer.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am

Post by Chevre »

How true is it that everyone likes seven wonders? I've been considering it forever but I have yet to bite the bullet and just buy it. My group likes Settlers, TtR and Tobago, and Kingsburg also got a rating of "OK."
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

7 Wonders isn't really like any of those games, from my experience. It's much more similar to Notre Dame or a MTG draft, really. I would say the only real similarity is that it requires you to be considering what your opponents can do with the hand you're about to pass them.

By the way, Kingsburg is okay, but it gets way better with the expansion.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:43 am

Post by zoraster »

Pretty true. Or at least that it's an accessible game that everyone at least kind of likes. I've found most really take to it. More serious gamers may grow bored of it eventually, but that's usually not the case for a number of rounds. In game groups it's often used as a quick "filler" game waiting for people to show up or whatever.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 1333, Sudo_Nym wrote:7 Wonders isn't really like any of those games, from my experience. It's much more similar to Notre Dame or a MTG draft, really. I would say the only real similarity is that it requires you to be considering what your opponents can do with the hand you're about to pass them.

By the way, Kingsburg is okay, but it gets way better with the expansion.

I think the likelihood of someone who likes Settlers and TTR liking 7 wonders is just as high as someone who does MTG if not higher.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, somebody who likes Settlers and TtR is probably just into games, and 7 Wonders is a well-designed one; they're likely to like it on that grounds, even if the games are not mechanically similar.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 1333, Sudo_Nym wrote:By the way, Kingsburg is okay, but it gets way better with the expansion.

Also worth noting that the most important part of the expansion (solider tokens) is easy enough to hack together on your own. Not that I'm saying the expansion isn't worth it - it definitely is - but if you happen to only have Kingsburg base you can still have a fine time playing it by using playing cards as solider tokens.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Kingsburg still sees play every once in awhile, even two years after I bought it.

Played another round of Kemet last night, went for a different strategy this time... and everyone in this game was WAY more willing to start assaulting people right out of the gate, which made the whole game very intense. I also like combat in this game, because it's not like you think this person is a dick for attacking you... it's just like, "Oh, nice play!" and you move on.
green shirt thursdays
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 am

Post by Thesp »

Big fan of both Kingsburg and 7 Wonders here. Expansions also great.

Also, the more I play Concordia, the more I love it.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:20 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Is anyone on the east coast going to GenCon? It seems like a pretty awesome thing to go to but I really don't want to do a solo 10 hour drive there and back.
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:28 am

Post by Anatole Kuragin »

I'd suggest Twilight Strategy for Twilight Struggle. It's a blog that has been condensed into one PDF and covers all relevant topics in the game.

https://leanpub.com/twilightstrategy

edit: nevermind i was apparently on page 1 and responded to a question from 2012
Last edited by Anatole Kuragin on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I would 100% go to GenCon if we weren't moving
green shirt thursdays
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:54 am

Post by sthar8 »

I would 100% go to GenCon if I could get the time off. A friend of mine is up for like 5 Ennies and he offered me a free ride and company hotel room, but he doesn't fly so it's 2 weeks with drive time.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Post by Chevre »

Welp, after a long purchase-less summer, I finally committed and bought 7 Wonders, Lifeboats, and Primordial Soup. All three were in my top ten wishlist for the holidays, so I think now I only have Kingsburg, Bazaar, Dragon's Gold, and Pluckin' Pairs left from that, lol.
Elmo TeH AzN
Elmo TeH AzN
Jack of All Trades
Elmo TeH AzN
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:18 am

Post by Elmo TeH AzN »

Picked up Zombicide to play with me and the lady
Stats not in the wiki. I'm That Crazy Panda.
I Speak Engrish Not English Leave My Grammar Alone.

Permanently V/LA
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 am

Post by penguin_alien »

In post 1332, Chevre wrote:How true is it that everyone likes seven wonders? I've been considering it forever but I have yet to bite the bullet and just buy it. My group likes Settlers, TtR and Tobago, and Kingsburg also got a rating of "OK."

I'll play it if other people bring it out, but I'll almost never propose it myself. Not sure why; I think it's an elegant game with nice variety. Maybe the lack of investment in what all the other players are doing? I know one has to watch what cards are being played to know what's still likely available/feasible, but there's not the same investment in using one's turn to counter moves from the opposition. It's more a matter of damage control.

Played Small World for the first time a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it far more than I anticipated. Damage Report has been a lot of fun too, although my short-term attention span has issues with the sand timers.

Really looking forward to the release of The King's Armory; I went with the Kickstarter campaign, and everything I've seen looks like a nice upgrade from things like Castle Panic.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Post by Chevre »

I forgot to say that 7 Wonders actually went over really well. Of course the initial hurdle is all the symbolization but once that's learned it's a great game.

I also got to play Lifeboats with a full compliment of six, and I guess small-town midwesterners are just too nice for deceptive strategy games of alliance and such? It was neat but it didn't really go over well because no one was willing to get mean.

What are people's opinions on Smash Up and it's expansions?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Played some Pixel Tactics today. Good game, a little rough around the edges, but made me want my Argent and War kickstarters even harder.

In other news, Mage Knight hit the table again. Remains a brain burner, in a good way.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Anatole Kuragin
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Anatole Kuragin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:29 am

Post by Anatole Kuragin »

This may not count as a board game, but does anyone have recommendations for a sci-fi pen and paper RPG system? Looking for something more hard scifi with out too much goofy stuff like changing bodies. Traveller and Diaspora seem like the frontrunners.

Return to “The Arcade”