The Walking Dead (spoilarz inside)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Post by Claus »

Hrm. I continue disliking playing as Clem. I think she was a much better character when you were not inside her head.

Like the "Carver enters the lodge" scene. I felt a bit bound by "what would clem do?" instead of "what would I do", if I were playing Lee.

Kenny was nice, but I agree it cheapens his "death" in S1 a bit. I had the same reaction as CdB at the "choose your table" scene, BTW.

I knew I recognized Bonnie from somewhere, but I didn't realize who she was until after the game.

All in all, I had fun, but I still feel tied by playing a stablished character such as Clementine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 am

Post by Claus »

I didn't really like Episode 4. Insufferable characters keep being insufferable characters, and I end up just wanting Clementine to leave the group, but I still feel bound to her being clementine.

The choices you make don't seem to have any impact (even lesser than usual). A bunch of characters die and no one seems to care. There is just so many times that "So and So will remember that" will work on you before you start to gloss over it, when they end up never bringing many of those choices up. There is one egregious example with
the russian kid - even if he is lying (if you choose not to rob him) I would like to at least have had the text option to call him out on his lie

And finally (maybe most important for me), this is the previous to last episode, but there is no direction, no over-reaching arch to look forwards to in the last episode. No big goal, no looming threat, no season-wide secret: just a bunch of characters stumbling from one place to the next.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Post by Claus »

In post 22, pickemgenius wrote:so like one episode to tie everything up?

That is my big problem with this episode/season: Tie what up? There are no important plot points to tie up. Maybe we will find out what happened to Misha, although even Clem has already forgotten her by now.

In post 23, Jahudo wrote:
In post 21, Claus wrote:There is one egregious example with
the russian kid - even if he is lying (if you choose not to rob him) I would like to at least have had the text option to call him out on his lie

That bothered me too, seeing as I gave back his medicine. The only explanation I can think of is that he was stealing from the other Russians and there is a sick sister that plays into the last episode. He didn't explain why he was dropping off that bag at the observation deck in the first place.

I would have been happy if at least there was a "you fucking liar" text option or something. But that is the problem - nothing really matters. No one except Jane seems to care about your choices in this episode.
And then she leaves with some very awkward dialogue/timing
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #3) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Post by Claus »

I'm disappointed with the finale. It is better than Episode 4, but still far away from being satisfying.

Spoiler: Opinions
So the finale has three endings: Jane, Kenny, and Clementine by herself. When I first played, I ended with the clementine by herself ending, and found it lacking.

The best of the three endings is the Kenny ending. It was honestly a very good scene, but there is no way that I would choose that ending given the hard handed way that they hinted that Kenny was going mad. In fact, I think that it was really weird that Kenny went back to "old kenny" in the ending cutscene after everything they made him do.

The Jane ending is kinda ok, but suddenly she is a manipulative bastard. It was really weird, because I had her pegged in the previous episodes by being "no-nonsense" and "lets do the practical thing", and suddenly she is hiding babies and playing mental games.

Also, no way that baby+clementine would have survived for themselves 9 days. It would actually be cool if the baby+clementine end resulted in death.

==================
Non-ending related:

The "nice guy" death was ridiculous. It was a nice death scene, but it was obvious that he was offed just because they wanted to play it "Jane x Kenny". In that sense, the entire confrontation between Jane and Kenny (car arguments etc) felt really forced.

The russian kid subplot was also unsatisfying, if nothing else because you couldn't interact with the plot - you couldn't talk to the kid directly, you couldn't talk to people about the kid. It was just a time bomb in a glass case.

I actually enjoyed having the other couple trying to escape - and taking the kid with them. But no matter how much the guy liked the kid, giving him a gun at that point in the story was an idiot basketball.

Also, how did everyone survive the initial shooting? :-/

Bah.

I did enjoy the first three episodes of the season, problems and all. But it all went to hell when they decide to cut the carver plot early. They could probably have the same final conflict (if that is what they were planning from the beginning), by making the escape from Carver the first half of the final episode, and keeping the "escape in the snow" scene about the same.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (isolation #4) » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Post by Claus »

Well, you are supposed to hate Carver... but I get what you're saying :-) I also kinda hated the "good kid" (his name escapes me) because it seemed to me that you were supposed to build some rapport with him in episodes 2 and 3, but all that goes out the window and he becomes a unreliable fuck in episodes 4 and 5.

I bought season two as soon as possible because of season 1. I'll be waiting for the full reviews before touching season 3.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (isolation #5) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Post by Claus »

In post 33, Chevre wrote:I'm just...reminded of how
Saw
was a critically acclaimed
psychological
thriller with excellent twists and then once it made a ton of money they started dishing out yearly gorefests.

You play as clementine. 'nuff said.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (isolation #6) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Post by Claus »

My problem with Sarah is that the only scenes that you could interact with her seemed to be the ones where something was happening to her and you had to take some direct action. You had almost no scenes where you talked to Sarah about things not related to her plot points (maybe asking her opinion on someone else). So Sarah was much more of a plot device than actually a character.

Return to “The Arcade”