Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:00 am

Post by zoraster »

is that really that big a gain? I'd say the bigger thing that EM has is automatic vote counting and resolution. For MS you'd want it to only pull some unique code (e.g. the [.vote] tag) for voting from each post that comes in a drop down box with current players, and maybe lock the thread when majority is reached.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 am

Post by BBmolla »

Sorry, obviously the automation is the most important part, I just meant design wise I like seeing who is currently playing and who is voting who at all times.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Casanova
Casanova
Townie
Casanova
Townie
Townie

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:46 am

Post by Casanova »

In post 225, zoraster wrote:For MS you'd want it to only pull some unique code (e.g. the [.vote] tag) for voting from each post that comes in a drop down box with current players, and maybe lock the thread when majority is reached.

Yes, yes, this. So much this.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:51 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

If zora is talking about a site chat the vote tag already exists.
(VOTE: tag)
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 am

Post by saulres »

It sounds like he's not talking about the tag, he's talking about adding a dropdown. So you can't VOTE: someone who isn't in the game, or an ambiguous abbreviation, etc.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Post by Phoenicks »

In post 202, BBmolla wrote:
In post 125, Phoenicks wrote:What happens when players disconnect? Do we punish the account, or inflict a waiting penalty, or assume a good faith wifi problem and do nothing?

Automate a replacement system.

For chat games?

Do what we do with forum games.

Why?

(Agreed with the rest of your post, or didn't disagree enough to comment.)

In post 218, BBmolla wrote:Seperate note, I think the new newbie setup is probably the most confusing we've had yet.

Is there any reason we don't just do F11 minus the last setup? It's not the most balanced but it's simple and introduces the users to the site without having to worry about roles. (Because let's be honest, most people who have mafia experience know what those roles are so it won't be any sort of shock)

I would support something like this. Matrix6 is a step back from 2of4. Roleblocker/Jailkeeper interactions can get screwy and non-intuitive. (Who remembers what happens when RB blocks JK, JK jails RB, and RB kills without looking it up?)

2of4 was a good setup. I think the best part of 2of4 was that you didn't know if there were 1 or 2 power roles. This allowed fakeclaims and stopped claims from being auto-clear. This encourages some subtle, deep plays without being too complex for anyone to understand. 2of4 did balance problems, especially (iirc) in the Jailkeeper setups. Jailkeeper adds NAR complexity unneeded in newbie games. But Matrix6 is worse.

Your proposed 1E2 would keep only the good parts of 2of4. I'd like to discuss making this a newbie setup. This is almost separate from mafiascum's long-term health now; new thread?

In post 224, BBmolla wrote:
It just sucks because look at the setup. It's night start. It's the most common on site setup.

I really like the standard setup. It's a quick, short game that is perfect for chat. It gets deep depending on how nightactions play out. (Doctor protecting Night 1 plays very differently from doc dying and cop getting an innocent.) In all cases, lynching between the cops is sufficient for a scum win but not a town win. (But it's harder to fakeclaim.) I think many players have a "just one more" reaction to this setup.

I agree there are better setups (4 VTs, 1 cop, 1 gov, 1 godfather, 1 goon, night start) for chat mafia. But this also belongs in a different thread.
Phoenicks
Phoenicks
Goon
Phoenicks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by Phoenicks »

In post 190, Phoenicks wrote:What about a new queue?

Most would-be-hosts don't slink off because they can't host C9++ or Fire and Ice; they want to host large games with new roles and flavor.

Could we try something like our Large Game queue that has much relaxed modding requirements, in exchange for requiring much shorter deadlines? Could we have a queue that works like players are used to from other sites?

Players who want the style we're used to with week-long phases would still, of course, create demand and supply for the kinds of games we're used to. And if deadlines are much shorter (say, 48 hours), would we need such heavy requirements on modding?

Bumping this.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 230, Phoenicks wrote:I really like the standard setup. It's a quick, short game that is perfect for chat. It gets deep depending on how nightactions play out. (Doctor protecting Night 1 plays very differently from doc dying and cop getting an innocent.) In all cases, lynching between the cops is sufficient for a scum win but not a town win. (But it's harder to fakeclaim.) I think many players have a "just one more" reaction to this setup.

I agree there are better setups (4 VTs, 1 cop, 1 gov, 1 godfather, 1 goon, night start) for chat mafia. But this also belongs in a different thread.

Day 1 MYLO is dumb. Doesn't matter if chat, face to face, or forum, it's stupid.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Post by BBmolla »

New thread for 1E2 would be cool.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 224, BBmolla wrote:In regards to chat mafia, here is what Epicmafia looks like:

The graphic with people is annoying and I dont know if anyone even uses it.

Also fuck having a soundtrack I was so confused when music started playing on me.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 230, Phoenicks wrote:
BV +1 Miller is best setup.

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 225, zoraster wrote:is that really that big a gain? I'd say the bigger thing that EM has is automatic vote counting and resolution. For MS you'd want it to only pull some unique code (e.g. the [.vote] tag) for voting from each post that comes in a drop down box with current players, and maybe lock the thread when majority is reached.

I was working on an automated vote processing tool when thesp released his, at which point it felt like it would be kind of douchy to finish it >_>.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 219, BBmolla wrote:I can do badly animated flash videos to help with the "multimedia introduction tool", but if the goal is to not look tacky I don't know how much that'd help us.

Examples:
Meet the Villager
Meet the Mafia
Meet the Doctor
Meet the Cop

(I also fixed the exporting issue that plagued a lot of these)

I think it would be great to carry your comedic style into it. The graphical work likely needs to up it's game though.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 237, chamber wrote:
In post 219, BBmolla wrote:I can do badly animated flash videos to help with the "multimedia introduction tool", but if the goal is to not look tacky I don't know how much that'd help us.

Examples:
Meet the Villager
Meet the Mafia
Meet the Doctor
Meet the Cop

(I also fixed the exporting issue that plagued a lot of these)

I think it would be great to carry your comedic style into it. The graphical work likely needs to up it's game though.

I can try to spend more time on it, maybe try to emulate DGB's style.

The style I used was just quick and easy.

But obviously if we have someone who can actually animate/draw well... yeah
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Post by chamber »

Good Animation is very time consuming. I think we can set the bar at stills initially.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 236, chamber wrote:
In post 225, zoraster wrote:is that really that big a gain? I'd say the bigger thing that EM has is automatic vote counting and resolution. For MS you'd want it to only pull some unique code (e.g. the [.vote] tag) for voting from each post that comes in a drop down box with current players, and maybe lock the thread when majority is reached.

I was working on an automated vote processing tool when thesp released his, at which point it felt like it would be kind of douchy to finish it >_>.

well, i didn't mean a vote counter. I meant something that automatically shows up-to-date information for a thread with votes and unvotes without having to use a mod for vote counts.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Certainly we must have a few artists floating around.

||
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:46 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 240, zoraster wrote:

well, i didn't mean a vote counter. I meant something that automatically shows up-to-date information for a thread with votes and unvotes without having to use a mod for vote counts.

Im not sure I distinguish the difference but there is an automated system on an offsite that will pm you the vc on prompt. Ill look into it.

||
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Post by Majiffy »

FWIW we definitely have the best ISO system which is infinitely useful.

||
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 242, Majiffy wrote:
In post 240, zoraster wrote:

Im not sure I distinguish the difference but there is an automated system on an offsite that will pm you the vc on prompt. Ill look into it.

One requires a moderator to be online and make a post. The other would be an integrated function that would display the vote count up to the current post no matter when the moderator last posted.

All other "solutions" I've seen have simply made doing a vote count easier on a moderator. Good, but no better than any other moderator who does the work to do a vote count regularly.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Ok. The one I know of doesnt require a mod. If youre interested I can look into it.

||
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by Cabd »

Of note re: making us more visible in F2F.

There are a few geographical areas with large scummer populations. Chicago (CCCP) and the NC Crew (The Commune) and I'm sure there's a few others. What if our "informal" monthly meetups were to get filmed, or documented, or whatever, and posted to youtube? I mean it's not gonna be negative clicks.

I know that I moved a decent group of players here with me (SMP, vablakes, highshroomish, Snscompt1, desufnoc, et al) but a good majority of them have just... stopped posting.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by ika »

If your looking for an "automated vote count" my homesite has something like that where we can set the lynch threshold and once it gets reached the thread gets locked and it makes a post saying "XXX got lynched stay tuned for end of day theme" along with the end vote count. I also know a user of there was working on the idea of making an automated signup and just got back in touch, it should be easy to convert over he said but to to his rl work job now hes kinda quit working on it.

I could see if the person still has interest in automated signups and could make it over here.

For the vote count though I dunno if I can get that coding but I can look into it and see if one of the admins over there can nab it
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 220, BBmolla wrote:
In post 189, Kagami wrote:Imo, keeping stats is dangerous due to the vagaries of game balance.

Players already feel cheated if they lost because they believe other team is too strong, it will be worse if losing becomes a mark on their permanent record.

I would also anticipate far more strategic replacing out, and replacing out is already something that happens too often.

Normal games could become ranked games.

Unless you can point out to me some incredibly and angrily unbalanced normals.

Actually this is a really good idea. Having a points system that could lead to an annual invitational tournament of some sort would be cool.
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 247, ika wrote:If your looking for an "automated vote count" my homesite has something like that where we can set the lynch threshold and once it gets reached the thread gets locked and it makes a post saying "XXX got lynched stay tuned for end of day theme" along with the end vote count. I also know a user of there was working on the idea of making an automated signup and just got back in touch, it should be easy to convert over he said but to to his rl work job now hes kinda quit working on it.

I could see if the person still has interest in automated signups and could make it over here.

For the vote count though I dunno if I can get that coding but I can look into it and see if one of the admins over there can nab it

Auto lock is cool and i am totally interested in seeing how it works in forums.

||

Return to “Mafia Discussion”