Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

Post by saulres »

In post 423, zoraster wrote:One of the benefits of the longer games is that players who do newbie games are checking the site for longer. In that time, new players are more likely to venture outside of the newbie game, whereas providing a close and quick end goal may limit the newbie experience to just that game.

I haven't checked, but isn't there a large need for replacements in newbie games, and mightn't that need be due to the longer games?

In other words, your assumption that players in newbie games check out the rest of the forum while they're playing the game. I'm questioning whether they're just checking out.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 424, zoraster wrote:
In post 422, fferyllt wrote:
In post 417, zoraster wrote:Sure, I'm always happy to chat, though I'm not the best true reviewer for games at the moment. But any general listmod stuff i'm almost always up to talk about.

I'd need to start with some thoughts and discussion about how short-deadline games would fit into a queue that's designed for slower-paced games.

Sure, but I don't really see any hang ups. The biggest is if you think quick games are supposed to be more shoddily made (or to be more generous: swiftly assembled) and all the requirements are a bit onerous.

It's things like the level of WOTM that would be needed to prevent a game from cratering under the common level of replace-outs/flakes in the first week of a typical large theme game. Gameflaking at MS is something really phenomenal compared to other places I've played.

The other thing to consider is that mods of very quick games have to be VERY on point. Updating a vote count once a day probably is insufficient.

Modding a fast paced game requires the mod to make as much or more commitment to being there in the moment as is required of players.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
HorseDetective
HorseDetective
Watcher
HorseDetective
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:51 am

Post by HorseDetective »

In post 423, zoraster wrote:It's always been slower, and we've always dealt with new players complaining -- many of whom go on to appreciate the slower pace. I think you have to understand that while newbie games are important for getting players to stick around, they're even more important to introducing new players to the way Mafiascum plays mafia (there is some question as to whether the semi-open nature does this, but little question that 2 weeks is more indicative of the experience than 1 week).

I also question whether really short newbie games really achieves what you think. One of the benefits of the longer games is that players who do newbie games are checking the site for longer. In that time, new players are more likely to venture outside of the newbie game, whereas providing a close and quick end goal may limit the newbie experience to just that game. The goal is integration, not just attraction.

As just an aside that has nothing to do with the quality of your ideas: could i interest you in a couple of paragraph breaks, Horse?

Genuine question, and I guess this is aimed at maybe fferyllt who has the experience from both, but is playing 1-week days significantly different to playing 2-week days? Intuitively, they don't seem worlds apart to me. I don't feel like if I played a 1 week game then a 2 week one I'd be unable to participate or have no idea what was going on. Surely the way Mafiascum plays is more dependent on site meta than deadline structure? and if so, can't site meta be learnt in 1 week days?

I guess I just don't agree with your second paragraph; although it's an empirical claim that could be easily tested and I could probably be proven wrong fairly easily: my guess is that (most) newbies will not feel comfortable moving outside into other games queues until they've at least finished or got relatively far into their first newbie game. It's certainly how I felt, and I don't feel like this is a particularly facet of my personality/attributes alone. If you want to integrate people, getting them through one finished game with less chance of drop-outs and at a reasonably good pace so they can move on to the rest of the site sooner seems like a draw.

Apologies, I have terrible tendency to drop paragraph breaks when I'm sort of thinking aloud - I type my thought process as it occurs, leading to rather rambling posts. I'll attempt to clear up afterwards more thoroughly. :) Also, just to stress, I'm not being super insistent on this or anything; I just thought you might appreciate my view as a, uh, 'failed' newbie. If it's out of the question, then I'm pretty happy just to discuss other things which probably also had marginal impacts, like site design.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:57 am

Post by quadz08 »

Zor isn't looking for newbies to venture into other games, I don't believe. (In fact, players in their first newbie game are not allowed to play in other games.) He wants them to venture into the discussion forums.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 am

Post by chamber »

In post 428, quadz08 wrote:Zor isn't looking for newbies to venture into other games, I don't believe. (In fact, players in their first newbie game are not allowed to play in other games.) He wants them to venture into the discussion forums.

I think newbies are allowed to play in other games, just not multiple newbies.
Taking a break from the site.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:59 am

Post by quadz08 »

... You're probably right, actually. Scratch that.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 427, HorseDetective wrote:
In post 423, zoraster wrote:It's always been slower, and we've always dealt with new players complaining -- many of whom go on to appreciate the slower pace. I think you have to understand that while newbie games are important for getting players to stick around, they're even more important to introducing new players to the way Mafiascum plays mafia (there is some question as to whether the semi-open nature does this, but little question that 2 weeks is more indicative of the experience than 1 week).

I also question whether really short newbie games really achieves what you think. One of the benefits of the longer games is that players who do newbie games are checking the site for longer. In that time, new players are more likely to venture outside of the newbie game, whereas providing a close and quick end goal may limit the newbie experience to just that game. The goal is integration, not just attraction.

As just an aside that has nothing to do with the quality of your ideas: could i interest you in a couple of paragraph breaks, Horse?

Genuine question, and I guess this is aimed at maybe fferyllt who has the experience from both, but is playing 1-week days significantly different to playing 2-week days? Intuitively, they don't seem worlds apart to me. I don't feel like if I played a 1 week game then a 2 week one I'd be unable to participate or have no idea what was going on. Surely the way Mafiascum plays is more dependent on site meta than deadline structure? and if so, can't site meta be learnt in 1 week days?

I guess I just don't agree with your second paragraph; although it's an empirical claim that could be easily tested and I could probably be proven wrong fairly easily: my guess is that (most) newbies will not feel comfortable moving outside into other games queues until they've at least finished or got relatively far into their first newbie game. It's certainly how I felt, and I don't feel like this is a particularly facet of my personality/attributes alone. If you want to integrate people, getting them through one finished game with less chance of drop-outs and at a reasonably good pace so they can move on to the rest of the site sooner seems like a draw.

Apologies, I have terrible tendency to drop paragraph breaks when I'm sort of thinking aloud - I type my thought process as it occurs, leading to rather rambling posts. I'll attempt to clear up afterwards more thoroughly. :) Also, just to stress, I'm not being super insistent on this or anything; I just thought you might appreciate my view as a, uh, 'failed' newbie. If it's out of the question, then I'm pretty happy just to discuss other things which probably also had marginal impacts, like site design.

Well, I'm picturing running a 72 hour day/24-48 hour night game early next year, and to try to prototype how that sort of timing/commitment would work here. That's 24 hours longer than the longest game days I generally played elsewhere. And I think the 48 hour night will be an opportunity for a breather for players as much as anything.

For me, planning/modding a game with 1 week days vs 2 weeks days really isn't that groundbreaking a difference, and I think the days would probably drag out due to having to add hours to the calendar for replacements.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 425, saulres wrote:
In post 423, zoraster wrote:One of the benefits of the longer games is that players who do newbie games are checking the site for longer. In that time, new players are more likely to venture outside of the newbie game, whereas providing a close and quick end goal may limit the newbie experience to just that game.

I haven't checked, but isn't there a large need for replacements in newbie games, and mightn't that need be due to the longer games?

In other words, your assumption that players in newbie games check out the rest of the forum while they're playing the game. I'm questioning whether they're just checking out.

Probably, though I think you'll find that the vast majority of replacements are up-front replacements that occur either before the game actually starts (never pick up their role pm, etc.) or within a few days.

In post 426, fferyllt wrote:
In post 424, zoraster wrote:
In post 422, fferyllt wrote:
In post 417, zoraster wrote:Sure, I'm always happy to chat, though I'm not the best true reviewer for games at the moment. But any general listmod stuff i'm almost always up to talk about.

I'd need to start with some thoughts and discussion about how short-deadline games would fit into a queue that's designed for slower-paced games.

Sure, but I don't really see any hang ups. The biggest is if you think quick games are supposed to be more shoddily made (or to be more generous: swiftly assembled) and all the requirements are a bit onerous.

It's things like the level of WOTM that would be needed to prevent a game from cratering under the common level of replace-outs/flakes in the first week of a typical large theme game. Gameflaking at MS is something really phenomenal compared to other places I've played.

Yeah. Generally I'm receptive to almost any system of enforcing a "good" player list except for those designed to get certain players slots over the pre-in limit.

In post 427, HorseDetective wrote:

You'd be amazed at how hard it is to actually collect data. Regardless, plenty of newbies start signing up for games before their newbie game is even over. Fewer get really into general discussion, but that's to be expected.

I'm not sure 1-week deadlines are necessarily that much worse than 2, but it doesn't allow the game to breath as much. Personally, I'm generally in favor of players feeling constantly time pressured without feeling like there's no time.

The other thing to realize is that as a site dedicated to mafia we have a LOT of games going on at any one time, and players play in quite a few. A not unusually active player may play 15 games in a year. They have to do so at a sustainable pace, and so one reason that the deadlines have historically been even slower is to allow games to function where people only post once a day, every other day, etc.

---
P-edit: Yeah. I'd love for newbies to start playing in other games as long as they don't do "sign up for all the things." Newbies will get a lot of what they need from a newbie game within the first week or so of playing.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I think I ventured out of the newbie queue during night 3 of my first game, and was always checking for more posts in it rather than elsewhere.

I originally started mafia with a 1-3:1 day phase and found ms's at the time 3-week deadlines to be much beret (i don't think the game ever went to deadline though) I once tried going back yip my old site, but it was still the same as when I left it of not really doing anything and just choosing someone at random to lynch. While I haven't experienced the game in a short deadline format where we needed the whole community playing to get the size games that were generally wanted, I just can't see those working.

I think there's is something to do with being on the other side of the world to most people that play here, but I never feel there's enough time for posting in anything less than two week deadlines, although I've rather not actually get near deadline ending. I've played a few that went as 10:1, the deadline always crept up on me.

Also if we change the newbie deadline, it's going to end up reaching the while site, when it was brought down from 3, I still thought that the default elsewhere was 3, even if that was something that changed in reverse.
It night not happen straight away, but it will in 5 months when those newbies get their opportunities to mod.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Post by N »

In post 419, Flubbernugget wrote:Why don't we just require mods to state how long they intend a day to be and whether or not they use plurality lynches? It drops the hint that we are looking to diversify the length of games, while making the decision as to how long a day should last a little more "democratic."

Mods are invited to post their rule sets when they enter sign ups, which should include these things.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Post by Marquis »

re: site design
the first time i found mafiascum i like triple checked i clicked the right search link because for a site ppl were telling me was the biggest online mafia place it looked really... old and outdated :/
i made an account here like 2012 iirc? and didn't really return because it felt like it didn't live up to rep, came back with this account because other places were dying out of desperation to find an somewhat active NOC mafia place
the basic forum.mafiascum.net page, mostly the header, almost looks like the site is barely used
first impressions man

ok sorry stepping out now
link in bio
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

I'm still in favor of mods being more liberal with the deadlines of their games.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 436, Flubbernugget wrote:I'm still in favor of mods being more liberal with the deadlines of their games.

Newboes are still the only place that restricts what can be done. (well normals would probably reject if you went too low)
The only reason for newbies having it is because we want all newbies to have the same formatting. The amount that are slowed flavor had increased, although I think that may actually just be game titles, as numbers are easier to forget.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Post by zoraster »

I think it's worth pointing out that PLAYERS are in control of the timing too. If players want to end a day every 36 hours they can.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 436, Flubbernugget wrote:I'm still in favor of mods being more liberal with the deadlines of their games.

Prof Fridays recently ran a mini-normal with a 10 day deadline, and many Micros have deadlines of 7 days.

Fakegod sets his Large Themes at 8 days I believe...
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

I'd be willing to mod/play in a shorter deadline game.

I think it's worth pointing out (if it hasn't been said already) that hydra-modding could help with the activity requirements for a short game on the mod end, and that's already not terribly uncommon.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Post by saulres »

On a different note: check out mafiascum.net. You know, that place a newbie might go before going to the forums?

Yeah. That needs some updating. Especially the scary text about the site maybe going down for a while many months ago :roll:
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
On permanent
V/LA
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 438, zoraster wrote:I think it's worth pointing out that PLAYERS are in control of the timing too. If players want to end a day every 36 hours they can.

You have to think poorly of your own ability to scumhunt if you stop trying to convince people and compromise after 2 days if you still have 12 days left
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:57 am

Post by Shadoweh »

Bicephalous Bob wrote:
In post 438, zoraster wrote:I think it's worth pointing out that PLAYERS are in control of the timing too. If players want to end a day every 36 hours they can.

You have to think poorly of your own ability to scumhunt if you stop trying to convince people and compromise after 2 days if you still have 12 days left

Re: Zoraster, See above quote from Bob as to why that's an unfair statement. There's a mentality here about using every precious moment to the fullest among the players that already play here. I suspect the idea that if you're given that much time you HAVE to use it is a psychological thing. It would take a new player of immense Fate-like screaming charismatic proportions to have an effect on the trend. More likely newbie will be forced to suck it up and will either conform or go home.

Related, saying that the people who stay here get used to and learn to appreciate the deadlines as proof that they work is biased. Of course they acclimate to the deadlines. They're the ones that stayed. You're not going to hear much from the ones who didn't.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 am

Post by zoraster »

I think both of those responses do not take into account the several pages worth of posts I've made focusing on mod enforced deadlines. My point was only that players are still ultimately in control of the pace of a game. There is a lot to be said for the slowest-common-denominator in practice.

In post 443, Shadoweh wrote:Related, saying that the people who stay here get used to and learn to appreciate the deadlines as proof that they work is biased. Of course they acclimate to the deadlines. They're the ones that stayed. You're not going to hear much from the ones who didn't.

The flip side is that you have no more unbiased data than I do to say that those who left would have stayed if the deadlines were shorter on the site. Or more particularly that MORE people would have stayed with shorter deadlines. Biased or not, we have the player population we have. It's worth analyzing that.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:47 am

Post by saulres »

In post 441, saulres wrote:On a different note: check out mafiascum.net. You know, that place a newbie might go before going to the forums?

Yeah. That needs some updating. Especially the scary text about the site maybe going down for a while many months ago :roll:

No seriously. I'd put money on some people seeing this and then saying "Well that site isn't maintained, why should I bother to go to it?"

mafiascum.net wrote:May 27, 2014 - We are currently in the process of moving the site to a new server. Most of the data has been moved, but it may be a bit longer before everything is totally functional. -mith

That needs to be removed ASAP.

And then at some point, that page should be updated with marketing information. "Built-in Tools to make scumhunting easier!" "Multiple game styles!" "Exciting setups if you're adventurous, standard setups if you want something more traditional, and even newbie games where we teach as we play!"
On permanent
V/LA
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:50 am

Post by Majiffy »

Maybe not that last one. It's a lot of words. Just not catchy or eye-popping.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:52 am

Post by zoraster »

"Do you wish you could yell at your friends on a more frequent basis on all matter of trivial things? Join Mafiascum today!"

Also, maybe I shouldn't say this but... I kind of think the name Mafiascum does us no favors.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:53 am

Post by saulres »

Yeah I'm not a marketing guy. It's the point I'm trying to drive, not the particular text.
On permanent
V/LA
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 am

Post by chamber »

In post 447, zoraster wrote:"Do you wish you could yell at your friends on a more frequent basis on all matter of trivial things? Join Mafiascum today!"

Also, maybe I shouldn't say this but... I kind of think the name Mafiascum does us no favors.

It's why the white red division is so important.
Taking a break from the site.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”