Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1825 (ISO) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If I'm counting my tzs correctly, we should be getting rolling around now.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1826 (ISO) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Congratulations to Big Billy Toast and his son, Little Toast. Go fuck yourselves!
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1827 (ISO) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Worst player goes to LLD who is a retard who cannot read her motive cards again. 0-2 as a Cylon Leader what UP.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #1828 (ISO) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Much fun was had tonight. Thanks everyone for playing!

Spoiler: BSG session report
LLD (D'Anna 'What's That Coming Over the Hill, is it a Toaster?' Biers)
Porochaz (Bill Adama)
Sudo (Gaius Baltar [Political])
Patrick (Chief Tyrol)
GreyICE (Apollo)
CDB (Tory Foster)

Well, the first turn went OK. Ish.

Distrust and fear sweeps the remnant of the human fleet, with rumours that the mysterious Final Five Cylons are somewhere aboard the Galactica as they journey toward the Ionian Nebula. But the crew put their trust in noble Admiral William Adama and his brave son 'Apollo', poster-boys for the human spirit. Y'know, until a succession of the worst possible crises pop out of the deck, prompting legions of Cylon ships to scythe down nearly half the population and break various parts of the ship with harrowing efficiency.

President Gaius F. Baltar casually asks the Admiral if he'd mind the good doctor holding up a photo of a Cylon agent next to his head and doing a quick comparison. The Admiral mutters something about that being a bad idea, to widespread scepticism. After a few more parts of the ship explode, the Admiral's second-turn reveal is a surprise only because it came so close to a jump.

"Now look here, you traitorous, mechanical weasel. Know that you have wronged me and that I will hunt you to the ends of the galaxy. My vengeance will be eternal. Mark my words, Adama, you haven't seen the last of me," declares Baltar as he walks around the corner and is immediately destroyed in the fireball that used to be Captain Kelly, who had just that moment decided to spontaneously combust. In his final moments, Baltar is revealed to be one of the Five, causing everyone on the ship to lose basically all of their skill cards ever. After Tory Foster inherits the Presidency, Ms Helena Cain stumbles out of the shower, asking what year it is and glaring at pipsqueak Admiral Apollo.

With the fleet in disarray and in dire need of escape, Chief Tyrol slips on a banana peel and falls into the brig while on his way to punch FTL. Admiral Apollo stalls long enough for a centurion to board the ship just before the jump finally goes ahead, then gets an XO to deal with the intruder but instead opts to shoot himself in the head for a one-way ticket back to Papa Chrome's resurrection pad. Suddenly there are only three trustworthy humans left on the ship, the only one of whom with any cards in his hand sitting on his hands in the brig, while D'Anna runs around the Galactica unchecked, mostly just trying to stop all the doughnuts from catching fire.

It carries on in much the same way as Big Billy Toast and progeny ping the humans in and out of the brig like fleshy yo-yos, with the Galactica pretty much constantly about halfway to being destroyed. Impressively, the humans manage to string out their resources until distance 6, at which point they have to either attempt a desperate jump towards the Nebula in hope that they land somewhere which can give them a crucial fuel boost or stay and wait, allowing the huge Cylon fleet an odds-on chance of sniping the last doughnut left in the known universe out of Galactica's hold.

They jump. There's no fuel. The humans - all 1 population of them - run out of their remaining 1 food as they drift helplessly through deep space, though oddly they all seem quite happy about it all. D'Anna is just a single doughnut away from victory. The first family of warm bread reigns supreme.
#greenshirtthursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1829 (ISO) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

My favorite thing about that game is actually two things:
1) I died in a freak accident in the second turn.
2) Our last second desperation jump served no purpose other than to take victory away from LLD.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1830 (ISO) » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:26 am

Post by zoraster »

anyone played among the stars? considering getting it as people seem to think it's an improved 7 wonders, and 7 wonders is easily my family's favorite game.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1831 (ISO) » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Post by Chevre »

I asked about it earlier, and CDB had some thoughts:

In post 1434, ChannelDelibird wrote:
In post 1427, Chevre wrote:Anyone have experience with
Among the Stars
? It seems like it mixes the card drafting of 7 wonders with a bit of the tile-laying that Suburbia uses.

I like Among the Stars quite a lot, and that's a pretty good description. I much prefer it to 7 Wonders thanks to greater reactions to what every other player is doing, and it's breezier than Suburbia but Suburbia fans won't find it in danger of supplanting that game in the way that it has supplanted 7 Wonders for me in terms of a card-drafting game.

I still think it looks good but I've been pretty low-key on board game purchases right now so haven't snagged it yet.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1832 (ISO) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:20 am

7 Wonders didn't wow me as much as it has clearly wowed your family, so YMMV, but if they love 7 Wonders then I'm sure that they would enjoy Among the Stars even if it doesn't eclipse it. Think there's an expansion for ATS somewhere but I haven't played that yet.
#greenshirtthursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1833 (ISO) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:22 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1832, ChannelDelibird wrote:Stars even if it doesn't eclipse

icewutudidthere.jog
green shirt thursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1834 (ISO) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 am

Spontaneous-ish GMT game of Battlestar Galactica this afternoon...

Spoiler: Session report
The cast:
Patrick (President Laura Roslin)
Nexus (Cally Henderson-Tyrol)
CDB (Admiral Samuel 'Longshot' Anders)
Prozac (Brother Cavil)

While everyone wondered whose bright idea it was to give Nexus access to firearms, the early game was relatively peaceful, although Cavil's motives were called into question when an early but relatively innocuous spike surfaced, planting an extra civilian into an already sizeable and poorly defended cluster of them, with a force of raiders closing. The obvious disaster soon struck as the civvies were destroyed in a hail of bullets, dropping population to just 4 with only 1 distance travelled. At least the President had cleared the Admiral of toasteneity.

With not a lot else to do, the unhappily brigged Cavil simply took a ride back to the resurrection ship and spent several turns loading up on super crises, while simultaneously insisting that he had only humanity's best interests at heart, fooling precisely nobody (despite it later transpiring to have been half-true). In the absence of any major disasters, Roslin similarly loaded up on quorum cards for a rainy day, while Anders repeatedly and loudly prayed that she not turn on sleeper.

She turned on sleeper. Opportunity knocked immediately after the fleet passed the threshold. Despite an investigative committee forcing cards to be played face-up, Roslin showed her true colours by spiking hard on a crucial crisis. The humans decided it was worth a try to pull it out anyway but, with Cavil only too happy to contribute to the failure, they fell agonisingly short and drained of most of their hands. In short order, Roslin issued an arrest order on Cally to avoid being shot in the face with extreme prejudice.

What followed was a lesson in just how powerful a cancer-riddled, middle-aged person can be. The humans thought they were being clever in tanking the first of two checks to spring Cally from lockup but succeeded only in earning Anders enough mutiny cards to dump him down with her, while a sneaky Change of Plans from Roslin prevented what would have been a successful escape.

It took another hour to confirm it, but that really was the game-winning moment. There was a brief scare when Cavil began to worry that Roslin would win in the wrong way for him to share in it but a deft break *into* the brig from the then-deposed President to once again avoid Cally's gun smoothed over their differences. The humans lost on morale, with 6 distance reached.

--

Reflections:
Patrick's hand management was excellent and he thoroughly deserved the win.
Roslin's strength is enhanced even further by games of fewer than five players. It was clear from miles away that her drawing the Cylon card at sleeper would be a huge deal.
Daybreak's treacherous brigfests are the only real drawback of an otherwise essential expansion.
Last edited by ChannelDelibird on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1835 (ISO) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:24 am

In post 1833, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 1832, ChannelDelibird wrote:Stars even if it doesn't eclipse

icewutudidthere.jog

Had a twinkle in my eye, etc...
#greenshirtthursdays
Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1836 (ISO) » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Post by Juls »

Getting
Viticulture
for Christmas. It's a fun wine-making game. :)
-------------------------------------
Juls
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1837 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:36 am

Post by Faraday »

Got Imperial Settlers, Survive: 30th Anniversary Edition, Bang: The Dice Game and Forbidden Desert from various people at Christmas. Really happy with them all, except Imperial Settlers which I've not tried yet -- but having seen it played am pretty sure it'll be lots of fun.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1838 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:42 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Got the
Bear Cav
Awesome Level 9000 expansion for
Smash-Up
, and
Boss Monster
for Giftmas. Both look hilarious.

Speaking of Civ-like games (which you guys were two months ago) I got to play the other night. Very fun, quite fast, pretty self-explanatory. Pitched at kids but the adults (who were all bigtime Civ veterans) enjoyed the hell out of it too. Once we knew what we were doing, it was probably a 20m game. Good icebreaker/intergenerational game.

Got for my birthday last month. We've now played twice... it's pretty enjoyable, but
good gods does it take forever
for a relatively simple game. 2400+ 'stories' in the book, each one with multiple options that vary based on your skills or treasures or statuses... this thing REALLY wants to be a video game. Without all the number crunching and page flipping, it would probably take an hour. As it stands, a 3p game took us about 2 1/2 hours (while learning it) and a 5p game took almost 3 1/2 hours. Doesn't scale well. Only other real complaint is that the player tokens are much too large for the board, obscuring your travel routes/city name/etc.
Retired as of October 2014.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1839 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:12 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Boss Monster is a fun one. Pretty simple, and has some issues, but I've had a lot of fun with it as a nice quick game.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1840 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like Tales of the Arabian Nights as an RPG, but I'm not convinced it's really a board game. It's like DnD, but with more cardboard.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1841 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:53 am

Tales is a game you play when you get drunk and have 3 hours on hand.

I finally got to play my copy of
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
and I'm 3 cases in.

It's just fantastic. So so well written and designed.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1842 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Christmas haul:

Iota
Sushi Go
Suburbia
Sheriff of Nottingham
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1843 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:58 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Iota is insanely complex for such a tiny game.

Haven't touched the others yet.
green shirt thursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1844 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:34 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 1838, Mr. Flay wrote:Awesome Level 9000 expansion for Smash-Up

It's a pretty good expansion. I'd avoid Cthulu if you don't LOVE Cthulu though, Science Fiction Double Feature is a pretty great one, though. Love Steam Punk and Bears, though.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1845 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:37 am

Post by Faraday »

And ya, Tales just looks too long for what it's trying to be, which is basically a lighthearted funny storytelling game. I really wanted Sheriff Of Notthingham but it's not available over here again, atm. Hope you enjoy it!

Oh, I also got 7 wonders. Just found that out, Woohoo. I like it quite a bit, though have only played it a few times.
Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1846 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:51 am

Post by Juls »

Got
Mage Wars
for Christmas. Currently slogging through the rules. I asked for Sherlock holmes too.. I'm Jealous Lady Lambda!
-------------------------------------
Juls
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1847 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:00 am

In post 1846, Juls wrote:Got
Mage Wars
for Christmas. Currently slogging through the rules. I asked for Sherlock holmes too.. I'm Jealous Lady Lambda!

Sherlock Holmes was a gift for myself I ordered back in July. It took until like Mid December to arrive, because of shortages. The game is not well stocked :P.

GreyICE is a huge advocate of Mage Wars. It's a good game, I think you'll enjoy it.

Also, once I'm done with Sherlock Holmes, I'll probably sell it or ship it around to friends. I could potentially turn my copy into a "hey mafiascum wanna pass around this copy and get maximum use out of it?" copy, but I'll need to think on that once I'm done all the mysteries.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1848 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:16 am

Post by diginova »

Holmes is super fun.
I may try running it again on here, but it died in MM previously.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1849 (ISO) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:29 am

Post by BBmolla »

Got Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

I love Coup, it's the perfect balance of simple and tactical.

Haven't tried Sheriff yet.

Betrayal on first playthrough was kind of rough, as I'd only played it once and the people I was playing with hadn't played at all. But I think it's a game that gets better after you've played it a couple times. I was the traitor, and my banshee got wrecked in two rounds due to luck unfortunately.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano

Return to “The Arcade”