Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #479 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:08 am

Post by PokerFace »

I prefer mafsilver to mafblack. I have mentioned this to chamber before, but there is one additional item i want to add.

Black bolded vs black unbolded is easy for me to pick up in the silver theme. Thus it is easy for me to count votes in that theme. White bolded vs white unbolded is hard for me to see even with the black background of mafblack. So I can't count votes in the game I am modding unless I log in to force a theme change.

Now I can see votes made with the vote tool like this VOTE: PokerFace it is only votes made like this:
Vote: PokerFace
that I can't easily see. My eyes may not be the best but I am not color blind and have 20/20 vision last I saw a doctor, so I can't be the only one with this problem. Anyone else having trouble similar to what I just described?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #481 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Post by PokerFace »

ok how do i do that?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #529 (isolation #2) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 482, wgeurts wrote:This should really go in site-ideas mafBlack thread but which browser do you use?

I use latest version of chrome. How do I do it? Feel free to PM if you feel this topic diverts too much from main topic in this thread
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #538 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I can see what Zach is getting at, I am very used to
Vote: PokerFace
myself. But considering the benefits, I would be fine with changing and enforcing VOTE: PokerFace just don't expect me to remember to follow this rule every time immediately. I imagine getting everyone to adopt this rule when it occurs is going to be difficult and I guarantee you I am gonna forget and end up accidently breaking it and using my old habits.

The fact people not used to the tool will forget to use it, may lead to some players utilizing trick voting. Players use old voting way to trick veterans into thinking X got voted when the auto counter did not catch it. Should scenarios like this arise the mod should be able to edit the results of the auto counter to prohibit bull shit trickery.

Vote: Bob

followed by scum scum quick hammer VOTE: Bob
Townie bullshit trick voter says Ha VOTE: Obv Scum

Shit like that should not be allowed^

So I am fine with using an auto counter but mod should be able to control and edit counter should unexpected issues arise
Last edited by PokerFace on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #540 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 536, Majiffy wrote:
In post 534, Zachrulez wrote:From what Chamber has said, that is the impression I have gotten about how it will work.

Except your impression takes a lot of wild assumptions that I have never seen in an automated vote counter, ever.

Which brings me back to my "you have no idea what an automated vote counter looks like" statement. That you continue to prove with every post.

Why don't you go ahead and run me by what you think this evil automated fascist vote counter machine cyborg AI doomsday machine would look like and how it would operate.

The IRC site xyl made a long time back and I use has automated vote counting. Some people do try to exploit and do quick voting or trick voting to lure out scum in those games. And they do it in ways similar to the one i described in my last post. Use of a vote counter to your advantage takes the scum hunting out of finding scum and has a software do it for you. And thats wrong

Me and Zach are on the same page even though we simul post and I type slow

Though neither of us does know how chamber will implement his counter so I state the idea of allowing mod to edit auto counter results as a good suggestion to avoid this stuff from happening
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #559 (isolation #5) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:45 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 543, Majiffy wrote:
In post 540, PokerFace wrote:
The IRC site xyl made a long time back and I use has automated vote counting. Some people do try to exploit and do quick voting or trick voting to lure out scum in those games. And they do it in ways similar to the one i described in my last post. Use of a vote counter to your advantage takes the scum hunting out of finding scum and has a software do it for you. And thats wrong

Me and Zach are on the same page even though we simul post and I type slow

Though neither of us does know how chamber will implement his counter so I state the idea of allowing mod to edit auto counter results as a good suggestion to avoid this stuff from happening

There's a few things here so I'll have to break it down.

1) This is a forum and not a chat. So by that virtue alone, those types of quickhammers (or faux-votes leading to them) really shouldn't be as much of an issue.

2) This comes down to mod discretion. If the rules state only votes posted as VOTE: count, and the bolded don't, then the players should be acutely aware of that.
Read the OP.

3) If you're going to go back and retroactively change all
votes to VOTE: , then that should be represented in the OP. Again, this removes all of that grey area about faux-voting.

Basically, all the perceived issues regarding this lie solely on players trying to bend or break rules in a game-ethics way.
I would consider these a modkillable offence.
Simple. Won't happen then.
It's simply against the spirit of the game to try to use out-of-game mechanics to win. Just like disallowed private communications, posting screenshots, etc.

I am glad we see eye to eye on that part. Chat mafia does not have an OP but for the same reasons you list I always include a rule in my modded games in the OP that says

01. All votes must be made bold or made using the vote tag. Unvoting is not required but I heavily prefer it. Any attempt at trick voting or disguising your vote will be prohibited. If its treated as a vote and I think its a vote, its a a vote!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #599 (isolation #6) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 am

Post by PokerFace »

Given the new board theme, someone may want to update http://mafiascum.net/howtojoin.svg

Return to “Mafia Discussion”