Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

YOu just need more typoes. VOTE: works just as well! I assume on the coding front anyway, I know it does for making /UNVOTE: appear.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 524, N wrote:Zach, do you know something about this that we don't?

Chamber made reference to enforcing the use of vote tags over bold sitewide in order to work with also mandating an automated vote count system that I'm assuming would only read vote tags and not bold. If we're mandating automated vote counting and enforcing vote tags only so that it works, it stands to reason that as a mod I will no longer have the discretion to count votes any other way because the site is deciding that only vote tags count as votes and that all voting is automated.

That is how I am interpreting it anyway.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Post by N »

I think you're jumping ahead and making some large assumptions.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 517, zoraster wrote:If your objection is as a moderator, it is baseless. For a player, at least you are talking about your long-ingrained habits. As a moderator, you are objecting to a white background because to the moderator that is the sole difference.

I think the bigger objection is the amount of site wide fake voting (intentional and unintentional) that is going to occur if it gets implemented as required for mods to use instead of optional. Probably some accidental "that was really supposed to be a vote" scenarios near deadlines too. That is what I am not looking forward more if it happens and is probably the biggest objection of both players and mods.

Either way it likely ends in a situation where its mandatory and there is a long time situation of it being an annoyance to old players who don't use vote tags (I don't think I have EVER used them) and mods who have to deal with both intentional and unintentional fake votes. Or it is a situation where some mods choose to use them and it takes longer for an adaptation to occur, but the magnitude isn't as extreme.

If its not required there really is no qualm to be had. Maybe the wording from chamber was required as in "required to use automated vote counter"
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 482, wgeurts wrote:This should really go in site-ideas mafBlack thread but which browser do you use?

I use latest version of chrome. How do I do it? Feel free to PM if you feel this topic diverts too much from main topic in this thread
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 528, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 517, zoraster wrote:If your objection is as a moderator, it is baseless. For a player, at least you are talking about your long-ingrained habits. As a moderator, you are objecting to a white background because to the moderator that is the sole difference.

I think the bigger objection is the amount of site wide fake voting (intentional and unintentional) that is going to occur if it gets implemented as required for mods to use instead of optional. Probably some accidental "that was really supposed to be a vote" scenarios near deadlines too. That is what I am not looking forward more if it happens and is probably the biggest objection of both players and mods.

Either way it likely ends in a situation where its mandatory and there is a long time situation of it being an annoyance to old players who don't use vote tags (I don't think I have EVER used them) and mods who have to deal with both intentional and unintentional fake votes. Or it is a situation where some mods choose to use them and it takes longer for an adaptation to occur, but the magnitude isn't as extreme.

If its not required there really is no qualm to be had. Maybe the wording from chamber was required as in "required to use automated vote counter"

The fake voting is actually my biggest concern. My moderator policy is that I determine voter intent and what I'm worried about is site wide implementation of automated voting and enforcement of the vote tags superseding my own rule set. As a mod I am even willing to go as far as to edit bold votes to vote tags to make them count on the basis of voter intent but I am worried that the idea is to take the discretion away in favor of automation deciding what a vote is.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 526, Zachrulez wrote:If we're mandating automated vote counting and enforcing vote tags only so that it works, it stands to reason that as a mod I will no longer have the discretion to count votes any other way because the site is deciding that only vote tags count as votes and that all voting is automated.

In post 512, Majiffy wrote:you have no idea what a site-wide implementation of automatic vote counts in threads looks like.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Post by Konowa »

How is this different from the whole "I didn't unvote, nananana" fake shenanigans?
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Because who actually unvotes except in LYLO anymore?

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

From what Chamber has said, that is the impression I have gotten about how it will work.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 532, Konowa wrote:How is this different from the whole "I didn't unvote, nananana" fake shenanigans?

I don't require unvoting so that type of fake voting can't happen in my games?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 534, Zachrulez wrote:From what Chamber has said, that is the impression I have gotten about how it will work.

Except your impression takes a lot of wild assumptions that I have never seen in an automated vote counter, ever.

Which brings me back to my "you have no idea what an automated vote counter looks like" statement. That you continue to prove with every post.

Why don't you go ahead and run me by what you think this evil automated fascist vote counter machine cyborg AI doomsday machine would look like and how it would operate.

||
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

So if someone votes in bold will I be able to count that as a vote, yes or no?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I can see what Zach is getting at, I am very used to
Vote: PokerFace
myself. But considering the benefits, I would be fine with changing and enforcing VOTE: PokerFace just don't expect me to remember to follow this rule every time immediately. I imagine getting everyone to adopt this rule when it occurs is going to be difficult and I guarantee you I am gonna forget and end up accidently breaking it and using my old habits.

The fact people not used to the tool will forget to use it, may lead to some players utilizing trick voting. Players use old voting way to trick veterans into thinking X got voted when the auto counter did not catch it. Should scenarios like this arise the mod should be able to edit the results of the auto counter to prohibit bull shit trickery.

Vote: Bob

followed by scum scum quick hammer VOTE: Bob
Townie bullshit trick voter says Ha VOTE: Obv Scum

Shit like that should not be allowed^

So I am fine with using an auto counter but mod should be able to control and edit counter should unexpected issues arise
Last edited by PokerFace on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Post by N »

In post 537, Zachrulez wrote:So if someone votes in bold will I be able to count that as a vote, yes or no?

Nobody knows yet; you need to calm down until you have all the facts.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 536, Majiffy wrote:
In post 534, Zachrulez wrote:From what Chamber has said, that is the impression I have gotten about how it will work.

Except your impression takes a lot of wild assumptions that I have never seen in an automated vote counter, ever.

Which brings me back to my "you have no idea what an automated vote counter looks like" statement. That you continue to prove with every post.

Why don't you go ahead and run me by what you think this evil automated fascist vote counter machine cyborg AI doomsday machine would look like and how it would operate.

The IRC site xyl made a long time back and I use has automated vote counting. Some people do try to exploit and do quick voting or trick voting to lure out scum in those games. And they do it in ways similar to the one i described in my last post. Use of a vote counter to your advantage takes the scum hunting out of finding scum and has a software do it for you. And thats wrong

Me and Zach are on the same page even though we simul post and I type slow

Though neither of us does know how chamber will implement his counter so I state the idea of allowing mod to edit auto counter results as a good suggestion to avoid this stuff from happening
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I generally adopt in my ruleset that I won't count votes unless there is an unvote because it creates much more scope for fake plays, while I don't use the vote tags myself it is something I have no issue with changing as it adds even another layer to fake plays.
Don't @ me.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 540, PokerFace wrote:
In post 536, Majiffy wrote:

The IRC site xyl made a long time back and I use has automated vote counting. Some people do try to exploit and do quick voting or trick voting to lure out scum in those games. And they do it in ways similar to the one i described in my last post. Use of a vote counter to your advantage takes the scum hunting out of finding scum and has a software do it for you. And thats wrong

Though neither of us does know how chamber will implement his counter so I state the idea of allowing mod to edit auto counter results as a good suggestion to avoid this stuff from happening

I still don't think it should be required even with mod discretion, but I would at least be able to live with it if I still have the power to eliminate any possibility of players exploiting the auto vote counter in a way I don't like.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 537, Zachrulez wrote:So if someone votes in bold will I be able to count that as a vote, yes or no?

You can. You shouldn't, because
rules.
But yes.

AVCs typically send the vote count via PM to the person requesting them. Any votes that don't fit the algorithm are not counted.

If you're a mod that wants to count the bolded, then you'll just have to go through and do
the same things you'd do as a normal mod
; count the votes manually. This changes nothing from the mod's perspective.

If you're a mod that wants to strictly adhere to the rules, then you just post what you receive in PM. This makes the job easier for the mod,
and removes the grey area from things like faux-votes.

So if your issue is faux-voting, you should support the site-wide notion to only count VOTE: tagged votes.

In post 540, PokerFace wrote:

There's a few things here so I'll have to break it down.

1) This is a forum and not a chat. So by that virtue alone, those types of quickhammers (or faux-votes leading to them) really shouldn't be as much of an issue.

2) This comes down to mod discretion. If the rules state only votes posted as VOTE: count, and the bolded don't, then the players should be acutely aware of that.
Read the OP.

3) If you're going to go back and retroactively change all
votes to VOTE: , then that should be represented in the OP. Again, this removes all of that grey area about faux-voting.

Basically, all the perceived issues regarding this lie solely on players trying to bend or break rules in a game-ethics way.
I would consider these a modkillable offence.
Simple. Won't happen then. It's simply against the spirit of the game to try to use out-of-game mechanics to win. Just like disallowed private communications, posting screenshots, etc.

||
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Is it really insane to say that an auto vote counter should be able to count bold and vote tag votes as votes? (With an option to have it count either form or both?)

Also in the past I have counted non bold votes (While advising the player to vote according to my rules next time.) and even a vote for one of the heads of a hydra as a vote for the hydra. I don't like strict vote counting rules. I prefer having more flexibility with it and I really don't want a game to come down to some stupid mind game of whether something actually was a vote or not, so if it could be reasonably interpreted as a vote, it is.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Post by Majiffy »

I'm not a coder so I can't speak to the issues regarding bold or unbolded votes.

But I seriously fail to see the issue with using the regular vote tags.

||
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

If they had existed from the beginning of time there wouldn't be one, but there's a whole load of users who came to the site and learned how to vote differently.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

##Vote: people
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 546, Zachrulez wrote:If they had existed from the beginning of time there wouldn't be one, but there's a whole load of users who came to the site and learned how to vote differently.

Life is so hard sometimes. :wink:

||
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Post by tn5421 »

According to Thesp, most of the processing time his votecounter uses is his ReGeX (non-technical: It searches for patterns, in this case
Vote:
) expressions looking for votes using bold tags.

The thing is, offsite you HAVE to use bold tags, since nobody else really likes to do custom bbcode.
WIP

Return to “Mafia Discussion”