Hydra's signing posts

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Hydra's signing posts

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:50 am

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

Do you or don't you sign posts in hydra's? Why?

Personally I'm undecided. Sometimes I sign since I want everyone to know which posts are mine. Sometimes I just don't feel like it so I don't.

The thing that interests me the most is that some players make it a point to refuse to sign posts even when asked. I've never asked anyone to sign their posts but I've seen some people do which leaves me very curious about people's refusal to sign their posts. Can someone that normally adamantly refuses to sign posts explain why you do it?

I mean, it's gotta be more than just because you think signing is cumbersome because it really isn't that big a deal. I can't help but think there are hidden motivations for it which I won't talk about at this point considering what it would say about the people who refuse to sign. I'd just like to hear it straight from them and not make any assumptions.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:04 am

That it helps you get reads is a much, much better reason than what I had in mind so I'm impressed. But why prefer "doing something to make sure other players can tell" over signing? And you used to sign posts in the past. Was there a moment of clarity where you decided "screw this. I will never sign a post again?"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm

In post 6, Faraday wrote:
In post 0, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:Do you or don't you sign posts in hydra's? Why?

Never. If you can't tell the difference from the content then you knowing probably isn't that important or useful to you.

I don't agree because if we are all playing under alts for instance, not everyone would be able to tell who everyone else is. But that doesn't mean meta is useless when we are playing on our mains.

In post 10, chamber wrote:If it matters you are hydraing wrong.

There are different opinions on how hydras should operate. Yours is one of them. There is no right or wrong here.

In post 27, Tierce wrote:If you can't generally tell the posters apart, you don't know their meta well enough to be making decisions based on who wrote what, as those decisions are all meta. Everything else can be figured out in the context of the game itself, and there the hydra heads should try to present as unified a front as possible and be clear when they are not in agreement.

This is a common fallacy that a lot of non-signing advocates put forth but my response is the same as my response to Faraday. Identifying a player and figuring out their alignment are two different things. Meta remains useful regardless of whether you can identify the player or not.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (isolation #3) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 am

In post 64, Faraday wrote:
In post 59, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:I don't agree because if we are all playing under alts for instance, not everyone would be able to tell who everyone else is. But that doesn't mean meta is useless when we are playing on our mains.

Trying to guess who someone is from ~150 players isn't the same as being able to tell if it's one of two people, though? Also anyone I think i'd be reasonably be able to meta I'd expect to have a fair idea of an alt of theirs if playing with them, or reading their games. (E.g. Tammy)

That's a good point but people can meta cold as well. There are a lot of times I've used meta to refine my read on players I've never played with before. There was also a time when Empire posted a massive meta case on me based on games he didn't play in. You don't have to know someone well in order to figure out whether they are playing to their town or scum meta although I think experiential meta helps.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (isolation #4) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:57 am

Then that's the issue with people not using meta well, not the usage of meta itself. A lot of people use meta badly or look for things that aren't alignment relevant. That doesn't take away from the fact that those of us who do know what to look for will be able to use it accurately. For instance, I use meta extensively but I doubt I'd ever call you scum for being nice. I also remember Mastin had a really good meta read on you in that Death Note game.

I'm strongly of the opinion that people who diss on meta either don't actually know how meta usage works or like you have been exposed to people who don't and have a lot of frustration over incorrect use of meta.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”