Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1975 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 am

Post by Faraday »

It's p good. Never been interested in BSG because of its playing time + lack of theme interest.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1976 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:14 am

Post by Nexus »

It is like BSG. but better.
Trans rights are human rights.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #1977 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Dead of Winter
isn't a direct BSG analogy, as it's more likely than not that you won't have a traitor and it's not so specifically a game of risk management.
#greenshirtthursdays
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1978 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Post by Patrick »

Could do BSG on Sunday. On Saturday it would have to be in the evening, probably 6.30 at the earliest. If people are happy with any of those I can play, otherwise I can miss out on this one.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1979 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Sunday would likely work for me instead; would need to double-check that but probably fine. Any time on Saturday works for me so happy to go later if that suits others.
#greenshirtthursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1980 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

How many people are in? I'm a little wary about Sunday because of the Super Bowl, but if we start early, it should be fine for me.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1981 (ISO) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Oh, aye, haha, forgot the Superb Owl was a thing.

As far as I know, assuming Patrick is in, we're currently five (us three plus LLD & GreyICE). Haven't yet heard back from Prozac.
#greenshirtthursdays
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1982 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:37 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

I think one day I might be able to work into a BSG game, if you'll have me of course!
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1983 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:48 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 1981, ChannelDelibird wrote:Oh, aye, haha, forgot the Superb Owl was a thing.

As far as I know, assuming Patrick is in, we're currently five (us three plus LLD & GreyICE). Haven't yet heard back from Prozac.

a few things:

1) Superb Owl is an awesome name for that.
2) Grey and I really need a name we can refer to ourselves together by.
3) If I'm a FUCKING TOASTER AGAIN.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1984 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 am

In post 1982, BipolarChemist wrote:I think one day I might be able to work into a BSG game, if you'll have me of course!

Absolutely, we'd love to have you! Speak up whenever a proposed date suits you or suggest one yourself. :)

In post 1983, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:1) Superb Owl is an awesome name for that.
2) Grey and I really need a name we can refer to ourselves together by.
3) If I'm a FUCKING TOASTER AGAIN.

1. It's a hoot.
2. I'll go with Lord & Lady Lambdadelta until something more concise is proposed.
3. Well, let's face it...

Note for BSG players: As we'll try out the Fleet Board this time, you'll need
all
expansion modules installed.
#greenshirtthursdays
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1985 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:45 am

Post by quadz08 »

you could always go with GILL
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1986 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Dibs on being a Cylon leader, unless there's the wrong number of players or somebody else picks it or I change my mind or I forget.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1987 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also, GI+LLD = Sid & Nancy. I'm not sure in which order, though.
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1988 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:50 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

I'm still super new to BSG, so I might be slow my first time! Go easy, everyone D:

I have no idea if Sunday works for me, I might be working, but I might not. Depends on how much of a keener I wanna be that day ;)

I wouldn't mind spectating when you guys start though, which I should be able to do either way, so is someone could shoot me a message when you all are starting, that would be awesome!
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1989 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:54 am

In post 1986, Sudo_Nym wrote:Dibs on being a Cylon leader, unless there's the wrong number of players or somebody else picks it or I change my mind or I forget.

I think Patrick's currently at the head of the queue for High Priestess of Ambiguously Warm Bread.
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1990 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:57 am

In post 1988, BipolarChemist wrote:I wouldn't mind spectating when you guys start though, which I should be able to do either way, so is someone could shoot me a message when you all are starting, that would be awesome!

Shouldn't be a problem. As of yet not clear whether we're on for tomorrow or Sunday (I'm assuming Prozac is out at this point but I'll check again and look to confirm either way tonight). If Patrick's available for a 6.30pm GMT start on Saturday and that suits t'others then I think that'd be slightly preferable for me.
#greenshirtthursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1991 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:04 am

Post by Faraday »

Ooh. Mysterium just arrived. Excellent.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1992 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:04 am

In post 1991, Faraday wrote:Ooh. Mysterium just arrived. Excellent.

I have heard very promising things.
#greenshirtthursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1993 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So is there a settled time? It sounds like we're veering towards Sunday; I've been enlisted to ensure that the server doesn't catch on fire or implode or something, so I should be fine to play, but I might be occassionally distracted. Given the speed of decision making some of us have, though, I don't foresee this being a problem
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1994 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by Chevre »

Taking all the unplayed games to my friends for the weekend:
Steam Park
Telestrations
Enigma
Suburbia
Pass the Popcorn
Bang! the Dice Game
The Castles of Burgundy
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1995 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:25 pm

In post 1993, Sudo_Nym wrote:So is there a settled time? It sounds like we're veering towards Sunday; I've been enlisted to ensure that the server doesn't catch on fire or implode or something, so I should be fine to play, but I might be occassionally distracted. Given the speed of decision making some of us have, though, I don't foresee this being a problem

I'm gonna say Saturday at 18.30GMT. Patrick says he can get back for then (though that's the earliest possible point at which he will turn up) and, with Prozac out, you slightly distracted on Sunday and me slightly preferring Saturday, I think that's the best call.
#greenshirtthursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1996 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 1992, ChannelDelibird wrote:
In post 1991, Faraday wrote:Ooh. Mysterium just arrived. Excellent.

I have heard very promising things.

It's excellent - we won once in five games. Plays pretty quick. Being the Ghost is tough, you always feel you have "bad cards". It works very well, though. The Italian version from Boardgameguru has the little crystal balls which look super nice, too. It might need an expansion or two eventually to keep it fresh - but hell even Dixit cards could probably work for the Ghost "dreams". Really, really fun.

Also played more Spyfall - went down excellently again. Though the one new player who was a bad liar drawing spy the first two times was cruel :P Still, really fun.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1997 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:10 am

Post by Porochaz »

If you went for Sunday I would have been available. Tonight, Im not 100% but it looks like I'd be fine, provided Im not too late.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1998 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:38 am

Not at all! If you're around, hop online and I'll add you in.
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #1999 (ISO) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:43 pm

Ho boy. This is a long one, mainly because overwriting the early game let me put off dwelling on my own mistakes at the end.

Spoiler: BSG session report
The cast:

Porochaz as President Dr Gaius F. Baltar [Political Leader]
Patrick as Cylon Leader D'Anna Biers
Sudo_Nym as Admiral Louis 'Some Guy' Hoshi
ChannelDelibird as Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace, CAG

Somewhere in the fleet, someone is a Cylon. Prozac picked Baltar. Does this need to take very long?

Baltar attempted to draw some sneaky Piloting on the sly on his very first turn, as well, which endeared him to precisely nobody, but otherwise the early stages seemed calm enough. D'Anna made a swift move over to Galactica, without coming pre-armed with the load of super crises that would ensure her a smooth ride back if she needed, but soon had to go home when Starbuck was forced to brig somebody. Why not the Cylon Leader, right?

On her way out, D'Anna gazed deep into Starbuck's eyes. Humanity's only pilot was not a member of the Final Five, and D'Anna declared her human through and through... but who can trust the words of a toaster?

A good choice of destination led Starbuck to voice strong support for the glorious admiralty of... er... y'know... kinda... short guy, I guess? Maybe brown hair? Dunno. Anyway. Baltar seemed keen enough to make up for his earlier mistake and the fleet made solid early progress, though a reasonable force was beginning to build in the pursuing Cylon fleet. Probably the only real problem was Starbuck's habit of having her ships explode. First the assault raptor then two top-of-the-line Mark VII vipers were obliterated thanks to repeated reckless flying under enemy fire.

Soon after the sleeper phase, the Cylon fleet jumped in and prompted a moment of crisis among humanity. With ships bearing down on vulnerable civilians, D'Anna bravely... filed some paperwork. Interpreted by some as an act of mutiny, she abandoned important duties to force a regime change, her partially confirmed faith in the CAG leading her to anoint a rebellious, self-destructive viper jockey as the lawful president of the colonies.

The battle raged on, now-President Starbuck repeatedly rushing out of sickbay to launch a daring solo mission against the Cylon raiders before rushing straight back into sickbay when her latest craft inevitably exploded, leaving the whims of the quorum largely unattended. The wheels began to turn, however, when Baltar took a reading of Starbuck's genetic makeup and declared her a Cylon agent.

Though Admiral Somebody's humanity was now confirmed, he was unsure whether to believe the cowardly Baltar or the foolhardy president, who had behaved bravely but had the dubious backing of D'Anna. When the quorum grew fed up of Starbuck's idleness and made him Supreme Governor instead, he used his newfound power to make a judgement call and throw Baltar into the brig, noting that Starbuck could have used her political power for evil and had chosen not to.

Thanking him for his faith, Starbuck revealed herself as a Cylon, framed Redshirt McBlandington for collaboration and threw him into the brig, probably crashing another fighter into the side of the ship to book a one-way ticket to Casa Toast.

The two humans looked at each other from across their shared prison cell. "Well, frak," noted Baltar.

Supreme God-King Whatever paused, looked at the edict papers that he'd smuggled in with him, then up at Baltar. "How badly do you want to get out of here?" he asked. A few moments later, the corpse of Dr Baltar floated out of the prison airlock.

While D'Anna sat in the research lab, drawing tactics cards and eating pretzels, a slightly confused Apollo wandered out of the shower and asked what year it was before being unceremoniously shoved into a viper and crowned Admiral of the Fleet.

The fleet was making progress across the stars but the pursuing force of raiders was reaching incredible size, a daunting prospect without a pilot. Starbuck reached out to D'Anna to see if their agendas might be similar, electing to delay bringing to bear her deadliest revenge in the hopes of stalling long enough for her fellow toaster's interests to fall in line. Meanwhile, Some Guy escaped from the brig.

The fleet reached distance 7. Again, Starbuck reached out to D'Anna: Should she take a slightly riskier route by playing her super crisis, which would need D'Anna's help to be at its most effective, or just pound the Cylon fleet for a quicker, dirtier win? Rolling the dice, Starbuck went with the former, daring Apollo to let centurions on board or die preventing it. But the time to unleash that particular power was earlier, not now, and Apollo had little drawback to pulling the trigger on himself, summoning Laura Roslin from the aether for a late-game vision boost.

From then, the fleet made its final jump before Kobol and the Cylon fleet followed right after it. It was a straight race for the raiders to mop up the gaggle of civilians to extinguish the last of humanity's population before they could escape. Starbuck thought she had the humans on their knees when three ships were destroyed but one, a decoy, left her needing one last big score from the two remaining vessels. What she didn't count on, however, was Admiral Person's dutiful manning of the communications console to steer the civilians out of the grasping reach of her raiders. It bought enough time for the humans to escape, as D'Anna showed that she had been as pro-human as they come, winning handily with all four motives completed along with her team-mates.

---

In summary: Gaaah. This was a really fun game and an enjoyable close finish, but really should have been a Cylon win - just undone by some poor decision-making on my part at the end. In trying to court Patrick, I played my supercrisis too late and lost my chance to near-guarantee a win by raider hurricane, just as I subsequently overlooked Hoshi's comms skills to let the civilians out of my reach at the last instead of trying my luck on reducing jump prep to buy me the extra turn that I needed.

Due to some unfortunate scheduling confusion, a part 2 may follow tomorrow.
#greenshirtthursdays

Return to “The Arcade”